Moron Motorists #3

AdelaidePeter

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:53 am

jasonc wrote:
duncanm wrote:
jasonc wrote: Buses are banned. I'd suggest trucks are too...
is it just possible that they need to deliver &/or pick up something?

Honestly.. road users do need to be aware that large articulated vehicles sometimes require more of the road than a single lane. I'm not excusing all of those vids.. I don't know the circumstances, but I do know that when on the road (car, bicycle, whatever), I need to be aware that large vehicles have their own issues and need to be given some slack.
So when a large vehicle uses a narrow road, they close the road or put a vehicle in front warning of the large vehicle. They did neither
I looked up the traffic rules. There are exemptions for long vehicles going out of their lanes to turn left or turn right, and they may also cross the edge line if that is the only way to stay on their side of the road. But there is no provision for being allowed to cross the solid white line. So yes, they should be doing some safety measures; I think a warning vehicle up front would be sufficient.

p.s. Though in the last of the 4 videos I can't see anything wrong, except for the articulated truck back wheels being very slightly over the line. It's legal for the smaller truck to come out of the side road slowly.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:13 am

Peter - in the last video he was stopped talking to his mate

Ancientflatulence

Postby Ancientflatulence » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 am

RobertL wrote:I think that there should be more restrictions on when and where different sized trucks should go.

Instead of excusing them - he was doing the best he could, he was just doing his job - the powers that be should say that trucks that size are unsuitable and that the largest size truck allowed on that road as a general rule is a 10t rigid, like the guy stopped for a chat to the semi.

If you need to deliver something in a larger truck, then close the road, put up signs, use a pilot vehicle and so on.
Good idea .... legislate and increase costs to a ridiculous amount ..... inconvenience a whole pile of people by closing the road ....... don't let a bit of common sense get in the way of progress ......... :) :)

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:22 am

Ancientflatulence wrote:
RobertL wrote:I think that there should be more restrictions on when and where different sized trucks should go.

Instead of excusing them - he was doing the best he could, he was just doing his job - the powers that be should say that trucks that size are unsuitable and that the largest size truck allowed on that road as a general rule is a 10t rigid, like the guy stopped for a chat to the semi.

If you need to deliver something in a larger truck, then close the road, put up signs, use a pilot vehicle and so on.
Good idea .... legislate and increase costs to a ridiculous amount ..... inconvenience a whole pile of people by closing the road ....... don't let a bit of common sense get in the way of progress ......... :) :)
Exactly.. but you forgot the last part of the chain - you then complain about the cost of goods, delivery times, closed roads, etc.

Imagine how pissed the cyclists would be if the road was closed every time a truck had to go up and down it ?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:24 am

RobertL wrote:
jasonc wrote: <snip>
That's ridiculous. Mt Gravatt is a well known cycling and running training road. Those truck drivers should know better, and the council should probably ban semi-trailers if they can't stay in their lane.
That's right -- lets ban productive vehicles from a road so people can train on it. <facepalm>

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:38 am

duncanm wrote:That's right -- lets ban productive vehicles from a road so people can train on it. <facepalm>
Actually it is pretty common to ban "productive" vehicles from roads where they cannot safely navigate the road within the road rules. Bridges with weight limits, height limits & roads with vehicle length limits. Galston gorge in Sydney is one example that immediately springs to mind, but there are plenty of others

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:41 am

find_bruce wrote:
duncanm wrote:That's right -- lets ban productive vehicles from a road so people can train on it. <facepalm>
Actually it is pretty common to ban "productive" vehicles from roads where they cannot safely navigate the road within the road rules. Bridges with weight limits, height limits & roads with vehicle length limits. Galston gorge in Sydney is one example that immediately springs to mind, but there are plenty of others
that is not the situation here.

Jmuzz

Postby Jmuzz » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:06 pm

They are banned from Galston Gorge because they actually get wedged in there every time and it takes half a day of road closure to pry them out.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:21 pm

duncanm wrote:
find_bruce wrote:
that is not the situation here.
I am confused as to what you are saying in relation to jason's video. Are you suggesting the truck was capable of complying with road rule 132 which requires that he vehicle keep entirely to the left of the centre of the road & chose not to, OR that it was not practicable to drive to the left of the centre of the road but the driver did so safely ?

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:I am confused as to what you are saying in relation to jason's video.
I wasn't saying anything in relation to the video, I was responding to this.. I'll repeat it for you:
duncanm wrote:
RobertL wrote:
jasonc wrote: <snip>
That's ridiculous. Mt Gravatt is a well known cycling and running training road. Those truck drivers should know better, and the council should probably ban semi-trailers if they can't stay in their lane.
That's right -- lets ban productive vehicles from a road so people can train on it. <facepalm>
As others have mentioned in this thread - sometimes cyclists just need to take a chill pill and understand that other traffic, especially trucks, has to be given some consideration. There is a sense of entitlement amongst some cyclists, which quite understandably pisses other road users off.

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:33 pm

duncanm wrote:sometimes cyclists just need to take a chill pill and understand that other traffic, especially trucks, has to be given some consideration. There is a sense of entitlement amongst some cyclists, which quite understandably pisses other road users off.
Really? Really? A sense of entitlement? You sound like a radio shock jock. Cyclist ARE entitled to use the road. The sense of entitlement is actually legal and community entitlement to use the roads in a safe fashion. Just because some motorist don't recognise this right doesn't mean that cyclist should feel guilty for feeling and acting on their rights to use the roads.

Overall most cyclist I find a FAR more courteous than other drivers. In my experience cyclists are so used to being treated poorly that when a motorist gives way to a cyclist about 50% of the time cyclists acknowledge that with a friendly wave.

I see this every day at local intersections between a cycle(share) path and the roadway. Two for two at the intersection today. Nice friendly waves from cyclists to the stopped traffic. How often do you see motorists wave at other motorist simply for stopping at a STOP/GIVEWAY sign?

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:06 pm

human909 wrote:
duncanm wrote:sometimes cyclists just need to take a chill pill and understand that other traffic, especially trucks, has to be given some consideration. There is a sense of entitlement amongst some cyclists, which quite understandably pisses other road users off.
Really? Really? A sense of entitlement? You sound like a radio shock jock. Cyclist ARE entitled to use the road. The sense of entitlement is actually legal and community entitlement to use the roads in a safe fashion. Just because some motorist don't recognise this right doesn't mean that cyclist should feel guilty for feeling and acting on their rights to use the roads.

Overall most cyclist I find a FAR more courteous than other drivers. In my experience cyclists are so used to being treated poorly that when a motorist gives way to a cyclist about 50% of the time cyclists acknowledge that with a friendly wave.

I see this every day at local intersections between a cycle(share) path and the roadway. Two for two at the intersection today. Nice friendly waves from cyclists to the stopped traffic. How often do you see motorists wave at other motorist simply for stopping at a STOP/GIVEWAY sign?
Hmm, Motorists are people. Cyclists are people. Some people are just way too entitled and the road would be safer and more pleasent if some people just took a chill pill and cooperated with others for a change. :roll:

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:28 pm

On my commute home is a regular moron - MGIF in order to park & try and take you out as he flings the door open & jumps out. Its a regular suburban street & the cars parked down means there is no room for 2 way traffic.

Yesterday however was a bit different - he was standing beside his car looking at his open door. As I got closer however I realised he was looking upset at what was left of his door - yep he'd tried the fling the door open stunt when there was a car behind him.

He's going to be even more upset when the insurance co tells him its his fault.

I just thought, karma, & kept riding

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:37 pm

human909 wrote: Overall most cyclist I find a FAR more courteous than other drivers. In my experience cyclists are so used to being treated poorly that when a motorist gives way to a cyclist about 50% of the time cyclists acknowledge that with a friendly wave.

I just think good road behaviour should be encouraged. I also give a wave to pedestrians who step aside when I ring my bell, or to other cyclists who stop and give way. As a driver, I will also acknowledge good behaviour, like giving way when only one car can fit down a street and I was there first; and a few other situations.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:45 pm

human909 wrote:
none of which has absolutely anything to do with this thread about trucks and sharp corners.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:40 am

duncanm wrote:
Ancientflatulence wrote:

Exactly.. but you forgot the last part of the chain - you then complain about the cost of goods, delivery times, closed roads, etc.

Imagine how pissed the cyclists would be if the road was closed every time a truck had to go up and down it ?
No, you're wrong here. This road is an access to the Mt Gravatt lookout in the Brisbane suburbs. It is 2km of road up to the lookout which has a cafe, picnic area, toilet block etc. There are also waling tracks through the scrub, and a communications tower and a water tank on the road.

Restricting access on this road would not increase the cost of goods or deliveries in any way. As far as I can tell, that semi-trailer was hauling construction/engineering gear which would be very rare and could be controlled and constrained without causing any dramas.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:06 am

Seen ALL THE TIME - pig-ignorant rage-hog drivers who think they were born to own the roads, telling other members of the public to get off the f'n road.

Do these mental cripples have a chromosomal deformity in the self-awareness gene? Rabbiting on and on about how all the other road users are "arrogant" and "self-entitled", jesusbiscuits have mercy.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:09 am

RobertL wrote:
Restricting access on this road would not increase the cost of goods or deliveries in any way. As far as I can tell, that semi-trailer was hauling construction/engineering gear which would be very rare and could be controlled and constrained without causing any dramas.
This. The truck mistakingly went up the hill as he went straight back down again. If he had a pilot driver or at least some instruction, there would not have been a problem

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:50 am

jasonc wrote:there would not have been a problem
What was the problem?

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:55 am

ironhanglider wrote:I am occasionally surprised with how strong the MGIF urge is with some drivers.

Cheers,

Cameron
I'm not. My commute has a 30km/h road with speed humps. At least once a week I have a car overtake me and hit the speed hump at 50km/h. :lol:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:26 pm

Patt0 wrote:
jasonc wrote:there would not have been a problem
What was the problem?
no warning of a vehicle on the wrong side of the road that by design would have to be on the wrong side on the road.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Patt0 wrote:
ironhanglider wrote:I am occasionally surprised with how strong the MGIF urge is with some drivers.

Cheers,

Cameron
I'm not. My commute has a 30km/h road with speed humps. At least once a week I have a car overtake me and hit the speed hump at 50km/h. :lol:
I'm more amused than surprised by the MGIF's on my ride home - they are on the road 40km/h limit plus speed humps, I am on the bike path next to it & will ride that section at 30-40. Quite a few drivers will suddenly accelerate as soon as I roll past, only to slam the brakes on the next speed bump, rinse & repeat.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:50 pm

Patt0 wrote:

Cheers,

Cameron
I have an amusing one on my regular route where the centre of the road is filled with those sharp 3" high lateral blisters... the MGIF sometimes realise they can't cut in before the blisters and end up driving along them for a distance... must be bad on the back for all the 5s they save.

pj

Postby pj » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:34 am

The urge to get in front is very strong with some drivers, had two aborted MGIF's this week were the drivers had to abort to avoid oncoming traffic.

In the second clip the driver was less than 40m from a stationary queue of traffic, what was he hoping to achieve?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:04 am

Oh look, here is a green lane that doesn't have any cars in it, the perfect place to drive my urban assault vehicle

Police are apparently "reviewing" the incident. What's the bet it is brushed off as a whoopsie & nobody got killed so its all ok, just like the times I have complained about cars driving on the bike path