Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby kb » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:48 pm

Must be the season.. I was sitting happy in a bike box this morning and almost got clipped by a nutter revving past on the _left_ barely after the lights had changed. Also had issues with a motorbike. His riding was fine but I've never heard anything quite so loud. Took a couple of minutes for my ears to stop ringing.

Trip home was magic though :-D. Fantastic evening.
User avatar
kb
 
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:22 pm

by BNA » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Cowcorner » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Take your pick on this one. Both would have been at fault had there been a collision here. Gotta be wary when doing a hook turn....

Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
User avatar
Cowcorner
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:51 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:10 am

Cowcorner wrote:Take your pick on this one. Both would have been at fault had there been a collision here. Gotta be wary when doing a hook turn....


well my pet hate there is the hook turner - you ahve to wait for the light to go green.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:18 am

jasonc wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:Take your pick on this one. Both would have been at fault had there been a collision here. Gotta be wary when doing a hook turn....


well my pet hate there is the hook turner - you ahve to wait for the light to go green.

Taxi driver ??? Red means stop, so they say. Well actually amber, and that amber was long gone.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17466
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:06 am

il padrone wrote:Taxi driver ??? Red means stop, so they say. Well actually amber, and that amber was long gone.


i agree both belong in here. when doing hook turns in melbourne it gives me the showtimes the amount of times I get beeped for waiting for the light to go green.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:08 am

Oh wow... That hook turn could have been really nasty.

But I see that so often in the Melbourne CBD. From both the hook turners and the red light runners.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby outnabike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:10 am

outnabike wrote:A bit close this morning on a shopping trip, and for no reason as there was a free lane on the right. I may look a bit close to the edge but I heard the car on my wheel and moved over a bit more than normal. I will have to learn to say the number plate of these types of drivers. Have to get U tube fixed too.
Image
Image
Image

Sorry to bore you folks with this but some may find it interesting.
Spoke to a young Constable ----- at Dandenong Police Station on 8/04/2013 10:10 AM
Result of supplying the video and photographs along with a google map of the area resulted in,
“I am sorry we can’t do anything as we (the Police ) did not see it happen”
Of course I put it to him that if I had fallen and hit my head perhaps killing myself, would the driver have gone free? I asked why the driver could not at least be warned to watch himself and this was on record.

The same reply as above, but he said to keep filming and carry on the good work.

I am honestly wondering if these drivers are getting too many good breaks. Seriously thinking of taking it to another department. The hoon line may be the best way to go.
outnabike
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 am

jasonc wrote:i agree both belong in here. when doing hook turns in melbourne it gives me the showtimes the amount of times I get beeped for waiting for the light to go green.

melburnians like to pretend that interstate drivers can't deal with hook turns, but the truth is - we can't do it either. if you wait for the green (as you must), people hook turning behind you will just jump ahead. further evidence of motoring morons..
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

jules21 wrote:
jasonc wrote:i agree both belong in here. when doing hook turns in melbourne it gives me the showtimes the amount of times I get beeped for waiting for the light to go green.

melburnians like to pretend that interstate drivers can't deal with hook turns, but the truth is - we can't do it either. if you wait for the green (as you must), people hook turning behind you will just jump ahead. further evidence of motoring morons..


I grew up in Melbourne, learnt to drive in Melbourne. Worked in the city. hook turns were a daily occurrence. I know how to do hook turns. I know the laws around hook turns. Unfortunately, like you stated, most drivers interpretation is wrong.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 5127
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:21 am

outnabike wrote:“I am sorry we can’t do anything as we (the Police ) did not see it happen”

damn, I just realised we're going to have to let 90% of criminals out of jail :cry:
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:05 pm

outnabike wrote:Spoke to a young Constable ----- at Dandenong Police Station on 8/04/2013 10:10 AM
Result of supplying the video and photographs along with a google map of the area resulted in,
“I am sorry we can’t do anything as we (the Police ) did not see it happen”

"I would like to speak to your superior officer, thank you"

Rinse and repeat until satisfied. Aushiker has given up on his local plod and just sends the reports straight to the Deputy Commissioner of Police :mrgreen:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17466
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby outnabike » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:20 pm

il padrone wrote:
outnabike wrote:Spoke to a young Constable ----- at Dandenong Police Station on 8/04/2013 10:10 AM
Result of supplying the video and photographs along with a google map of the area resulted in,
“I am sorry we can’t do anything as we (the Police ) did not see it happen”

"I would like to speak to your superior officer, thank you"

Rinse and repeat until satisfied. Aushiker has given up on his local plod and just sends the reports straight to the Deputy Commissioner of Police :mrgreen:


I just rang the headquarters of the Highway Patrol based at Springvale to do just that. Due to the front number being not quite clear he cant even ring the offending driver.
It would all have to be sent for analysis and that won't happen in this case. I was told it may just have been a plain bad driver not actually showing intent and that has to be proven.

Beats me hands down, I do not have the number and its going to cost them time and money to distinguish it. Good try for me but no cigar.

It was put to me that even if a ped is killed due to a driver running a light, It still has to be established that the driver had the intent to kill the ped.

I will now install a rear facing camera, as that would have read the number and also shown intent.......maybe.
outnabike
 
Posts: 490
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:31 pm

outnabike wrote:I was told it may just have been a plain bad driver not actually showing intent and that has to be proven.

So the Police do not care about bad drivers?? That's a good one, maybe you could pass that news on to the Feral Hun :wink: , as well as a complaint to the Police Commissioner.

"Could I have your name, rank and serial number please?"

Actually quite serious. Absolute proof does not need to be established for the police to go and ask some questions, maybe even give a stern warning about safe driving behaviour. This officer is hoon-apologist who is unwilling to take drivers to task.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17466
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:58 pm

outnabike wrote:It was put to me that even if a ped is killed due to a driver running a light, It still has to be established that the driver had the intent to kill the ped.


What a load of hogwash. There are road rules in the relevant States that don't require intent. eg. Dangerous and careless driving in the VIC Road Safety Act. In the case of the careless driving offence it is an objective test that requires only what a 'reasonable' driver would have done in the circumstances, not specific intent by the actual driver. I understood there was a catch-all offence that would get anyone that the police couldn't pin with something else.

EDIT: I forgot another offence - 'Culpable driving causing death' (in the Crimes Act - VIC - 20 years jail possible maximum sentence). It does not require intent.

I found this site while Googling: http://www.adla.com.au/web/page/VIC_Cas ... g_Offences (VIC specific) Seems quite useful.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1392
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:31 pm

I can see four iterations of rego plate in that one still shot, First digit X or Y, second O or Q, third S then 771. Wouldn't be very hard to look up a database and match those couple of options with 'white mazda 6'. Other still shots might reduce the number of iterations.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 1728
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby SquareWheels » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:03 pm

outnabike wrote:“I am sorry we can’t do anything as we (the Police ) did not see it happen”


If they watch the video I would argue that you just did see it happen.
And as some one else noted the combination of possible number plates with the make and model of the car cannot be that hard to narrow down.
SquareWheels
 
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:11 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hannos » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:04 pm

Got a cracker this morning.
Driving to work (forgive me!) along Roberts Rd / Centenary Dr Greenacre. Anyone that drives here knows the traffic is usually staionary. So there I am idling along with about 50m between me and the car in front. I'm on the overpass going over the Hume Hwy. There is NOWHERE to go. Other lane is stopped. cars in front of me are stopped. It is all stationary up to the top of the hill.
Guy behind me beeps his horn and gesticulates for me to , I dunno, fang it to the stationary cars in front perhaps? I'm not sure what he thinks that would achieve...

Maybe he didn't reach maximum velocity but I know his average speed would not have change one bit.
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4007
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:33 pm

hannos wrote:Guy behind me beeps his horn and gesticulates for me to , I dunno, fang it to the stationary cars in front perhaps? I'm not sure what he thinks that would achieve...

don't you love that? my theory is that if they could figure that out, they probably wouldn't be driving in those conditions at all.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hannos » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
hannos wrote:Guy behind me beeps his horn and gesticulates for me to , I dunno, fang it to the stationary cars in front perhaps? I'm not sure what he thinks that would achieve...

don't you love that? my theory is that if they could figure that out, they probably wouldn't be driving in those conditions at all.


Yeah I had a chuckle and didn't change my driving style...
When he did pull into the next lane he wouldn't make eye contact with me. And he didn't get past either...
2010 BMC SLC01
Image
User avatar
hannos
 
Posts: 4007
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:18 am
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:53 pm

bychosis wrote:I can see four iterations of rego plate in that one still shot, First digit X or Y, second O or Q, third S then 771. Wouldn't be very hard to look up a database and match those couple of options with 'white mazda 6'. Other still shots might reduce the number of iterations.



Gee this is hard. OK 4 versions. So if we check the database

XOS771 Vehicle Type Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number XOS771
VIN/Chassis Number JN1BCAN15A0510960
Engine Number GA160651990
Colour WHITE
Make NISSAN
Body Type SEDAN
Compliance Plate Date 11/1997
Year Of Manufacture 1997
Transfer Dispute No
Registration Serial Number 6267100
Registration Status Current
Registration Expiry Date 30/06/2013

XQS771 Vehicle Type Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number XQS771
VIN/Chassis Number JM0BL10F100156184
Engine Number LF10957518
Colour SILVER
Make MAZDA
Body Type SEDAN
Compliance Plate Date 03/2010
Year Of Manufacture 2010
Transfer Dispute No
Registration Serial Number 4223307
Registration Status Current
Registration Expiry Date 27/04/2013
Sanction(s) Applicable No

YOS771Vehicle Type Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number YOS771
VIN/Chassis Number JM0GH105200219059
Engine Number L510630346
Colour WHITE
Make MAZDA
Body Type SEDAN
Compliance Plate Date 08/2011
Year Of Manufacture 2011
Transfer Dispute No
Registration Serial Number 6463730
Registration Status Current
Registration Expiry Date 30/08/2013

YQS771 Vehicle Type Car/Truck
Victorian Registration Number YQS771
VIN/Chassis Number 6T153KK400X355555
Engine Number 2GR0815010
Colour RED
Make TOYOTA
Body Type SEDAN
Compliance Plate Date 10/2011
Year Of Manufacture 2011
Transfer Dispute No
Registration Serial Number 6723595
Registration Status Current
Registration Expiry Date 10/11/2013

So its either a white mazda or a white nissan. Gee that was hard. Oh and thats a mazda

Image
Percrime
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:04 pm

il padrone wrote: This officer is hoon-apologist who is unwilling to take drivers to task.


Rubbish. They know the likelihood of a successful prosecution is next to zero....

Beyond reasonable doubt remember. Who was driving? What was the time, date, place? What is the registration? Prove the video has been unaltered? Camera angles distort distance between car and bike! I could go on...
User avatar
leighthebee
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:07 pm

leighthebee wrote:Rubbish. They know the likelihood of a successful prosecution is next to zero....

Beyond reasonable doubt remember. Who was driving? What was the time, date, place? What is the registration? Prove the video has been unaltered? Camera angles distort distance between car and bike! I could go on...

it's not about just prosecution. giving the guy a call at home and reading him the riot act can serve the purpose nicely.

this happened to my old man once. he's not really an aggressive driver towards others, more just a bit of a hoon. someone took exception and dobbed him in to the cops, who rang him up.
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8376
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: somewhere out in the melbourne rain

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:08 pm

leighthebee wrote:
il padrone wrote: This officer is hoon-apologist who is unwilling to take drivers to task.


Rubbish. They know the likelihood of a successful prosecution is next to zero....

Beyond reasonable doubt remember. Who was driving? What was the time, date, place? What is the registration? Prove the video has been unaltered? Camera angles distort distance between car and bike! I could go on...


Seriously? Prove a video has been unaltered? Easy peasy. Hell North Korea cant do it. Penthouse magazine cant do it on a still image.
Percrime
 
Posts: 900
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby leighthebee » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:16 pm

jules21 wrote:
leighthebee wrote:Rubbish. They know the likelihood of a successful prosecution is next to zero....

Beyond reasonable doubt remember. Who was driving? What was the time, date, place? What is the registration? Prove the video has been unaltered? Camera angles distort distance between car and bike! I could go on...

it's not about just prosecution. giving the guy a call at home and reading him the riot act can serve the purpose nicely.

this happened to my old man once. he's not really an aggressive driver towards others, more just a bit of a hoon. someone took exception and dobbed him in to the cops, who rang him up.


Please inform me of this how this riot act would go...? And at the end of said riot act if this person says "What are you going to do about it"

I am playing devils advocate here. I believe the drivers behaviour is crap, but it's just not as clear cut as people think....
User avatar
leighthebee
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:19 pm

leighthebee wrote:
il padrone wrote: This officer is hoon-apologist who is unwilling to take drivers to task.


Rubbish. They know the likelihood of a successful prosecution is next to zero....

Beyond reasonable doubt remember. Who was driving? What was the time, date, place? What is the registration? Prove the video has been unaltered? Camera angles distort distance between car and bike! I could go on...

What is clear is that the driver was driving across two lanes. This is an offence under the Victorian Road Rules. Who was driving? If the owner doesn't supply the info of who was driving his car then he commits another offence. All the other information is clearly available from outnabike and his video log.

Apply the fine....... or maybe just give him an official warning. Either is worthwhile re-education.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 17466
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AKO, Chef, dampier, Lukeyboy, reefer, thearthurdog



Support BNA
Click for online shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Cycling Express Cycling Express
Ebay Ebay AU
ProBikeKit ProBikeKit UK
Evans Cycles Evans Cycles UK
JensonUSA Jenson USA
JensonUSA Competitive Cyclist