Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:03 pm

Ouch Lukeyboy, that stinks. What a tool.

Marto

Postby Marto » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Lukey, I've got some spare gp4000, 2x 25mm, 3x 23mm. PM me if you want a loaner/buy til you get sorted.

True jerk work from that motorist.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:09 pm

Cheers for the offer mate. I just ended up buying some more tubes (only spares I had were the short 48mm stems rather than any spare 60/80mm) and chucked on a used spare GP4000S that I use on my other roadie.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:39 pm

Lukeyboy, have you thought of riding and brandishing a d-lock in your right hand at all to warn off those tossers not to get too close?

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:03 pm

Sucks, luke :(

Had a confusing moto rider split the traffic at the lights just ahead of me, and I always roll up... anyways, he takes his position in the lane, and I take mine. I always sit halfway into the ped strip because every metre on take off gets my average speed up much quicker by the time we all leave the intersection. Moto rider was confusing because I think he was telling me I should be waiting behind the line and waiting my turn?

If that was what he said, that's the dumbest rubbish I've ever heard. The dude is splitting the traffic... if he really cared about the thoughts and feelings of the other road users, he would have waited at the back, but I think the prostate vibrations must have been affecting his brain. I took off and beat him through the big intersection at Church and Victoria Roads in Parramatta. What a goose.

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Rhubarb wrote:A relatively minor one but still worth asking the question. I guess its an accumulated frustration of many motorists continually blocking the bike lanes unnecessarily.

Today I received a positive response from StarTrack Express in relation to this video and the complaint I lodged with them. They called me to advise they had followed up on my complaint. The truck driver was shown the video and asked to explain why he was blocking the bike lane on the 2 occasions as in the video. He said the 1st occasion was because he had just come out of a side street (still no excuse for blocking the bike lane but anyway) and the second occasion was because a scanner had slid off the seat and under the pedals so he pulled over to retrieve it ASAP. Apparently the driver was reminded of his obligation to obey the road rules and to respect the safety of cyclists and others at all times. I accepted these as honest and believable answers, as the 2nd one was just after a sharp bend. I also reiterated my concerns with the actions though and my reasons for reporting this and they were in full agreement. StarTrack Express thanked me for reporting the incident and said it was important to highlight these things to the drivers and that it would now be part of driver coaching.

At the end of the conversation, they asked me if I was satisfied with this outcome, which I was, and whether I had any other concerns, which I didn't. At that point I was all set for them to request I remove this video, but that never happened. The lady just apologised on behalf of the driver and thanked me for reporting it, and thanked me for my time. I was surprised but impressed with this. This really tells me they were genuine about addressing the issue, not just feeding me lip service to get me to remove any negative publicity.

As such, I am not going to remove the video but I am happy to edit the title and update the description to reflect what I see as a positive response from StarTrack Express. I have left the original title and description below for context.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:10 pm

Wow, Lukey, well done on avoiding the collision and keeping it upright afterwards. :shock:

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:58 am

@Rhubarb Thwere were several other vehicles parked in the bike lane too but you only had an issue with the StarTrack van? Was this because they were regular cars and you could still move around them without veering into the traffic lane? Sounds like you got a good response from StarTrack anyway, perhaps you should contact the local council about all the other vehicles parked there too.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 am

@pacra and Lukeyboy I have the most "incidents" close to home as well. Rode over 200km the other day and had 2 incidents just a few kms from my house. It wasn't that I was being complacent, just moron motorists not paying attention to what they are doing. You'd almost forgive them if they showed some sort of remorse for nearly maiming or killing us but they just look at you (that's if they actually notice you) like you are a bit !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !! on the bottom of their shoe.

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:27 am

Rhubarb wrote:
Rhubarb wrote:A relatively minor one but still worth asking the question. I guess its an accumulated frustration of many motorists continually blocking the bike lanes unnecessarily.

Today I received a positive response from StarTrack Express in relation to this video and the complaint I lodged with them. They called me to advise they had followed up on my complaint. The truck driver was shown the video and asked to explain why he was blocking the bike lane on the 2 occasions as in the video. He said the 1st occasion was because he had just come out of a side street (still no excuse for blocking the bike lane but anyway) and the second occasion was because a scanner had slid off the seat and under the pedals so he pulled over to retrieve it ASAP. Apparently the driver was reminded of his obligation to obey the road rules and to respect the safety of cyclists and others at all times. I accepted these as honest and believable answers, as the 2nd one was just after a sharp bend. I also reiterated my concerns with the actions though and my reasons for reporting this and they were in full agreement. StarTrack Express thanked me for reporting the incident and said it was important to highlight these things to the drivers and that it would now be part of driver coaching.

At the end of the conversation, they asked me if I was satisfied with this outcome, which I was, and whether I had any other concerns, which I didn't. At that point I was all set for them to request I remove this video, but that never happened. The lady just apologised on behalf of the driver and thanked me for reporting it, and thanked me for my time. I was surprised but impressed with this. This really tells me they were genuine about addressing the issue, not just feeding me lip service to get me to remove any negative publicity.

As such, I am not going to remove the video but I am happy to edit the title and update the description to reflect what I see as a positive response from StarTrack Express. I have left the original title and description below for context.
Went for a lunchtime spin this week, spotted an STE truck (same driver?) along Sylvan ahead of me scouting for a park, seemed to behave himself and went all the way to the end to grab a park except he couldn't pull in due to the clown cyclist salmoning headon into him, he avoided the truck but the clown was leading his obviously inexperienced wife 20m behind him right into the oncoming truck. I blame him for putting her in that position... the look on her face.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 am

roundabout behind work today. delivery van fails to signal intentions. he apoligised after I asked him where his indicator was

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:00 am

Ross wrote:@Rhubarb Thwere were several other vehicles parked in the bike lane too but you only had an issue with the StarTrack van? Was this because they were regular cars and you could still move around them without veering into the traffic lane? Sounds like you got a good response from StarTrack anyway, perhaps you should contact the local council about all the other vehicles parked there too.
Most of the other vehicles in that video were parked in legally designated parking spots. A crap design, but legal.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:40 am

Summernight wrote:Don't forget to make a claim to TAC (if that is at all possible), Cowcorner, if you have ongoing medical or whatever issues that require you to pay money or you're losing money through not working.
One step ahead of you there Summernight - lodged the claim yesterday, otherwise I'd be up for the hospital costs myself. Saw the GP and physio yesterday also, and back to physio again next week. Unfortunately TAC has an excess so I'll be out of pocket for that. Thankfully I should be back at work next week so it's covered by sick leave. Had a closer look at the bike and it ain't pretty - front rim cracked, rear buckled, dérailleur at right angles - left it with the lbs to assess but not hopeful.

Got word from the police that they don't intend to prosecute, so I'm not happy. Police said there was obstructed view from a 4wd parked on Latrobe St and described it as an "infrastructure" problem. I had helmet cam footage but they were unable to open the file although, when I got the card back, I was able to fire it up first time. So I'll go back with the footage and see if they change their mind. Footage looks pretty spectacular btw but I'll refrain from posting here until I've gone back to them. Also speaking to BNV next week about possible civil courses of action. Watch this space.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:44 am

Cowcorner wrote:Got word from the police that they don't intend to prosecute, so I'm not happy. Police said there was obstructed view from a 4wd parked on Latrobe St and described it as an "infrastructure" problem.
this annoys the hell out of me
they just don't want the paperwork

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:01 pm

What absolute rot from the Police. If a car cannot clearly see in the direction they are driving then they should not proceed without extra caution. If they can't see at all they should be inching forwards or not moving at all.

I'd love to try using that excuse on them "Sorry Officer, it is an infrastructure problem and I am not to blame for...".

Hopefully you'll get the cost of the bike/accessory repairs/replacement back from the vehicle's insurer ASAP when you lodge the civil claim against the driver (or at least start making the demands).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:47 pm

Deliberate mega A-hole this morning... :evil: :evil: I was riding from CW Avenue (canberra), northboune onto London Circuit city west down the ramp towards the lakeside hotel for locals. I've written about that section of road on here previously, and it was where Nate got cleaned up about 8 weeks ago.

I was zooming down the hill and sitting probably 18 inches to 2 foot in from the left. I've been squeezed there a number of times before so always do make an attempt to claim the lane strongly without parking in the middle of it (if you get my drift). Suddenly I hear a HONK HOOOONK behind me. I sit up, look back and put my right arm up and upwards with a Say What are you on about gesture. Suddenly this black very new 4wd and one of those new numberplates that was black and white and AAA 030AAB or something similar decides I'm obviously taking up too much of his lane, or going too slow, or something equally BS.

So right at the front of the lakeside hotel this guy suddenly pulls left on front of me and hits his brakes. Now I've been honked there for doing the exact same thing a couple of times previously but no way was i expecting this. :shock: Luckily i was knocking off speed anyway as there were 3 cars lined up at the RED traffic light approximately 50 metres in front of me... :roll: so i didn't plough into his left rear side.

I sat behind him as he straightened his car and gestured that i can ride HERE (pointing on my left side). Or HERE. Strongly pointing at my right side.

What a duckhead. No I pretty much never lose my cool at car drivers but passed this guy on his left, pointed at the red light and the 3 cars in front of him and roared through the window at him "It's not ME that's holding you up mate!!!. Feel free to tell me why you're upset..." And then parked in front of him. :twisted: I didn't hear if he responded. I also yelled "I have you on camera" (which i didn't), but pointed to one of the gadgets on my handlebars. So when the lights changed i chuck a left there onto Edinburgh Avenue and he does too. Sit right in the middle of my lane with him right behind me and we pull up at the next set of RED lights. I turn around and give him a shake of the head again. Maybe the threat of a camera made him pull his head in? :twisted: So when those ones turn green i went straight and he went left. All that's down to the left is a couple of carparks (locals would know the area - in the trendy new acton area near the pedestrian bridge to the bike hire place). I think i'll go for a walk out there now to see if i can find it....

I seriously didn't deserve that. But i haven't mounted my new front and rear cams. Must do that this weekend though now.

I'd like to know ONE road rule i broke in my actions.... :roll:

jules21

Postby jules21 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:21 pm

cp123 wrote:.. pointed at the red light and the 3 cars in front of him and roared through the window at him "It's not ME that's holding you up mate!!!. Feel free to tell me why you're upset..."
of course, the answer is that he thinks cyclists should move out of his path, it's got nothing to do with being "held up", but he won't admit that to you.

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:22 pm

cp123 wrote:Deliberate mega A-hole this morning... :evil: :evil: I was riding from CW Avenue (canberra), northboune onto London Circuit city west down the ramp towards the lakeside hotel for locals. I've written about that section of road on here previously, and it was where Nate got cleaned up about 8 weeks ago.

I was zooming down the hill and sitting probably 18 inches to 2 foot in from the left. I've been squeezed there a number of times before so always do make an attempt to claim the lane strongly without parking in the middle of it (if you get my drift). Suddenly I hear a HONK HOOOONK behind me. I sit up, look back and put my right arm up and upwards with a WT? are you on about gesture. Suddenly this black very new 4wd and one of those new numberplates that was black and white and AAA 030AAB or something similar decides I'm obviously taking up too much of his lane, or going too slow, or something equally BS.

So right at the front of the lakeside hotel this guy suddenly pulls left on front of me and hits his brakes. Now I've been honked there for doing the exact same thing a couple of times previously but no way was i expecting this. :shock: Luckily i was knocking off speed anyway as there were 3 cars lined up at the RED traffic light approximately 50 metres in front of me... :roll: so i didn't plough into his left rear side.

I sat behind him as he straightened his car and gestured that i can ride HERE (pointing on my left side). Or HERE. Strongly pointing at my right side.

What a duckhead. No I pretty much never lose my cool at car drivers but passed this guy on his left, pointed at the red light and the 3 cars in front of him and roared through the window at him "It's not ME that's holding you up mate!!!. Feel free to tell me why you're upset..." And then parked in front of him. :twisted: I didn't hear if he responded. I also yelled "I have you on camera" (which i didn't), but pointed to one of the gadgets on my handlebars. So when the lights changed i chuck a left there onto Edinburgh Avenue and he does too. Sit right in the middle of my lane with him right behind me and we pull up at the next set of RED lights. I turn around and give him a shake of the head again. Maybe the threat of a camera made him pull his head in? :twisted: So when those ones turn green i went straight and he went left. All that's down to the left is a couple of carparks (locals would know the area - in the trendy new acton area near the pedestrian bridge to the bike hire place). I think i'll go for a walk out there now to see if i can find it....

I seriously didn't deserve that. But i haven't mounted my new front and rear cams. Must do that this weekend though now.

I'd like to know ONE road rule i broke in my actions.... :roll:
Wow glad you are ok. I might take a ride around New Acton area and see if I can spot this 4WD thing and get the rego for you.

I ride near there (but coming around London Cct rather than coming down the ramp) and have had one similar incident when someone cut across from right lane and wanted to turn into the driveway of Lakeside Hotel - only problem was I was riding past the driveway at the time. Didn't hit me - no thanks to their driving skills. :twisted:

I did nearly hit a pedestrian just a bit further up LC the other morning (pretty much opposite the cop shop! :o ) . Woman/girl saw me and but misjudged my speed greatly - I wasn't sprinting but I was riding tempo doing about 40km/h keeping up with the traffic - and she walked across the road straight in front of me. Luckily I have pretty good brakes on the bike and managed to slow down and avoid her.

That new gutter extension thing they have recently put on the corner of LC and University Ave is a pain in the @rse. Now I have to swing out right in the traffic to turn left rather than stay left and ride through empty parking spaces (usually no cars parked there at 7.30-8am when I ride through there).

cp123

Postby cp123 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 3:53 pm

that's the thing isn't it ross. there are plenty of people coming from the right lane (from under the CW bridge) trying to merge left, and others coming down off CW ave trying to merge right to get into the carpark up near the green glassy building.

I wish i could ride tempo at 40 kmph. :oops: I need to be going down Mt Ainslie with a tailwind to get that fast. :lol: :lol: :lol: well not quite, but you know what i mean... But i've had that happen too. Peds look at you as you're aiming towards them and still step off. I usually yell LOOOOKKKKOOOUT and as they have a heart attack something like "wakey wakey". Ipod people and mobile phone people are equally bad. maybe they don't register bikes as fast, or expect we will just hit the skids or what? I know i certainly keep up with the some of the cars as i'm coming down the lakeside ramp. Some barge their way past and then start to slow, while others accept me for travelling at the same speed and don't try anything. Just depends on the driver.

yup - the university avenue corner has been a bit of a mess for a while now. when the left lane was blocked for a few months there was still enough room for bikes to scoot through on the inside of the witches hat. I think the west row corner is worse though.

London Boy

Postby London Boy » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:59 pm

Cowcorner wrote:Got word from the police that they don't intend to prosecute, so I'm not happy. Police said there was obstructed view from a 4wd parked on Latrobe St and described it as an "infrastructure" problem. I had helmet cam footage but they were unable to open the file although, when I got the card back, I was able to fire it up first time. So I'll go back with the footage and see if they change their mind. Footage looks pretty spectacular btw but I'll refrain from posting here until I've gone back to them. Also speaking to BNV next week about possible civil courses of action. Watch this space.
Have you asked for it in writing? If the police are saying it is an infrastructure problem, you can then forward that to the relevant authority (council or state roads authority) to get the infrastructure fixed. They will have to respond in some way, because otherwise they make themselves liable next time that kind of incident occurs.

Of course, nobody will want to write it down...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:04 pm

citywomble wrote:Interesting video, the car driver must be a cyclist.

Seems just what many cyclists would do if the road is blocked, use the footpath.

Why be surprised? People is people, get over it.

Good point. I've seen far worse from drivers AND from cyclists. Assuming he had adequate view then no danger to anyone.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:06 pm

blkmcs wrote:A few moron motorists on Riverside Drive today.

This is one of several who chose to detour along the pedestrian only path rather than wait in the traffic, guess their time is really important compared to everyone else's!
Did he use it as a shortcut or was he actually looking to park at the boatshed. Which can only be established if there was a spare spot at the boatshed and he drove past. The car looks familiar to me but the model is pretty generic.

I haven't checked the signage from the car direction for restrictions of entry but there is no indication of restriction as you approach along Riverside Drive anyway. Once entered a driver has a couple of choices but both are not very good. Your pic is one of them

It has actually been a vehicle access for many years now, with the shared path between it and Riverside Drive. It is now only a continuation of the river wall ped path since that ped path was built a couple of years back. Service vehicles, delivery trucks and boat trailers legitimately use it a lot.

However it's appearance is misleading to pedestrians and could be a danger if anyone drove it without care. I ride it six days a week in the morning and have never seen anyone not being careful along there.
Last edited by ColinOldnCranky on Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cowcorner

Postby Cowcorner » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:14 pm

London Boy wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:Got word from the police that they don't intend to prosecute, so I'm not happy. Police said there was obstructed view from a 4wd parked on Latrobe St and described it as an "infrastructure" problem. I had helmet cam footage but they were unable to open the file although, when I got the card back, I was able to fire it up first time. So I'll go back with the footage and see if they change their mind. Footage looks pretty spectacular btw but I'll refrain from posting here until I've gone back to them. Also speaking to BNV next week about possible civil courses of action. Watch this space.
Have you asked for it in writing? If the police are saying it is an infrastructure problem, you can then forward that to the relevant authority (council or state roads authority) to get the infrastructure fixed. They will have to respond in some way, because otherwise they make themselves liable next time that kind of incident occurs.

Of course, nobody will want to write it down...
The problem is that the infrastructure the police are talking about is the one that has just been installed by the City of Melbourne - ie, the Copenhagen lanes themselves. Somehow i don't think the MCC is going to turn around and say the major bike initiative they've just paid who knows how much for has flaws. Apparently there will be an "official" written response coming in the next week or so. But as to what that response will be I have no idea.

For those of you using Latrobe St (North side) be particularly wary of the section between Queen & Elizabeth where the concrete separations end - roughly around where the Welsh Church is. My particular SMIDSY was turning up the lane beside the church.
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone

blkmcs

Postby blkmcs » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:45 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
blkmcs wrote:...
Did he use it as a shortcut or was he actually looking to park at the boatshed. Which can only be established if there was a spare spot at the boatshed and he drove past. The car looks familiar to me but the model is pretty generic....
Along with others he simply drove into Barrack Square to beat the traffic which was at a standstill on Riverside Drive, absolutely no doubt about his intentions otherwise I would not have posted anything!
Too old to live, too slow to die.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:52 pm

blkmcs wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:
blkmcs wrote:...
Did he use it as a shortcut or was he actually looking to park at the boatshed. Which can only be established if there was a spare spot at the boatshed and he drove past. The car looks familiar to me but the model is pretty generic....
Along with others he simply drove into Barrack Square to beat the traffic which was at a standstill on Riverside Drive, absolutely no doubt about his intentions otherwise I would not have posted anything!
But unless you followed them out of the lane and back onto Riverside Drive or they passed accessible vacant spots at Sassys (iffy at all times in the early morning) then I still wouldn't see how any particular vehicle could be deemed to have just been taking a shortcut. There has to be little doubt for the odd one but obviously not all.

Anyway you spotted numbers heading thru and they are not all likely to be heading for the rare parking. I think you got it right the first time when you intimated that some people are just more important than both you and me. And that always annoys the krap out of me.

It would be justice of sorts if they all had to reverse the whole way back if they came up against a boat club vehicle with a long l-o-n-g boat trailer entering the other direction as they occasionally do. :twisted: