Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:59 pm

ab012 wrote:legs are still jelly... deep breath, deep breath... :?

time for a becks and a lie down
glad no damage was done and offenders prosecuted. win win
jasonc

by BNA » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm

BNA

Postby Summernight » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:00 pm

What a good result, ab012, but not something you want to experience ever again.
Summernight

Postby hannos » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:01 pm

jasonc wrote:

Or a Becks, then a Bex, cuppa tea and a good lie down :)
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby jasonc » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 pm

hannos wrote:
jasonc wrote:

Or a Becks, then a Bex, cuppa tea and a good lie down :)

I thought a Becks was appropriate at this time. A bex won't help much, well with the Becks it probably would....
jasonc

Postby TailWind » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:19 pm

jasonc wrote:

+1 for getting out of that OK. Scary stuff. Oh, and my recommendation for a tranquilizer is Bitburger, but the Becks that Jasonc mentioned will also work ;)
Soma Double Cross 2012 - Commuter || Giant CitySpeed (Alfine 8 IGH) - Commuter || Bakfiets Long 2011 - Cargo Bike
TailWind

Postby philip » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:25 pm

Was riding through some backstreets this morning, cars parked both sides, hardly enough room for one car to fit through. Car comes up behind me, I'm already going pretty fast but he's impatient, one of those ones you car hear the engine revving. As soon as there's a gap in the parked cars I pull over to let him by - "RIDE ON THE FOOTPATH" he yells and accelerates off to an intersection about 50 metres away. I catch him and he does a weird maneuver and clearly wants a word with me. So I ride up to his open window ready for a typical confrontation and say "how'd you get your licence, I'm not allowed to ride on the footpath" and he goes "that's right. sorry bro", then drives off and gives me a couple of apologetic waves. I pretty much laughed the rest of the way to work. So in the end this story doesn't really belong in this thread (he definitely upgraded from moron status) but had to tell it somewhere.
philip

Postby ab012 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:45 pm

thanks everyone for their suggestions for a cool down (which i think i needed!) - unfortunately my cool down was 'forced' to be lots of work :roll:

got me thinking about insurance once again though :|
ab012

Postby AndrewBurns » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:20 pm

ab012 wrote:heart still pumping...

riding down Anzac Parade (Kensington NSW) around 1:30pm, me taking middle of the lane going a bit over 40km/hr. Not too much traffic. Suddenly a falcon going the opposite direction (two lane each way, seperated) decided to do a U turn into my lane right in front of me :evil: :evil: :evil: :shock:

I screamed Jesus :!: and thankfully manage to brake in time.. skidding and with the rear wheel jumping up in the process.. somehow i managed to stay on the bike (perhaps my new 105 brakes helped 8) ? + I was on the drops 8) ).

Said Falcon was then stopped by another car parkign a little further up the rode and I almost had an urge of have a word with the driver :x but noticed that a cop car was right behind me. When traffic was moving again the cops dutifully overtook me and pulled the falcon in to book him/her 8) Well done and thanks to the boys (and girls) in blue. 8)

legs are still jelly... deep breath, deep breath... :?

Yeah I hate how a bad experience like that can ruin an otherwise pleasent ride but good to hear that for once the police were there to dish out some correction to the offending driver. The number of times I've had people U-turn in front of me with nowhere near enough space given my speed...
AndrewBurns

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:16 pm

Went for a quick ride on some brand spanking new Continental GP4000S after I replaced them because a driver cut me off and I punctured the sidewall as a result. 96km and no problems but that damn few km from home curse bloody got me again. While in the bike lane I grabbed a swig of water so I was hunched over just about to put the bottle back in the cage riding into a brightly shining sun and suddenly out of the corner I notice a car that had pulled out from a sidestreet to go across the road into the tavern was about 1/3 of the way across the road. My left hand was on the drops so I quickly grabbed the brakes. Right hanging down near the tube. Rear wheel locked up I pulled up to a stop right into the front passenger door. Had a few words with her about looking next time she darts across the road. It wouldn't have been that hard to see me as the sun was facing me and not behind me. Inspected the tyre and its chewed up with cuts and what not from where it slid on the road. If I can't fix it that 96km on brand spanking new tyres beats the 140 or so km record I had on the other new tyre the week before. FML haha.
Lukeyboy

Postby jules21 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:03 pm

oh man, luke, that's bad luck. i'd have insisted she pay for a new tyre ;)
jules21

Postby arkle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:14 am

Lukeyboy wrote:Went for a quick ride on some brand spanking new Continental GP4000S after I replaced them because a driver cut me off and I punctured the sidewall as a result. 96km and no problems but that damn few km from home curse bloody got me again. While in the bike lane I grabbed a swig of water so I was hunched over just about to put the bottle back in the cage riding into a brightly shining sun and suddenly out of the corner I notice a car that had pulled out from a sidestreet to go across the road into the tavern was about 1/3 of the way across the road. My left hand was on the drops so I quickly grabbed the brakes. Right hanging down near the tube. Rear wheel locked up I pulled up to a stop right into the front passenger door. Had a few words with her about looking next time she darts across the road. It wouldn't have been that hard to see me as the sun was facing me and not behind me. Inspected the tyre and its chewed up with cuts and what not from where it slid on the road. If I can't fix it that 96km on brand spanking new tyres beats the 140 or so km record I had on the other new tyre the week before. FML haha.

Next time just ride into her door at a non-injurious, though dent/scratch causing, speed.

arkle
arkle

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 pm

arkle wrote:Next time just ride into her door at a non-injurious, though dent/scratch causing, speed.

arkle

Felt just like doing that today to this pr**k! A whole empty road and they choose to park right there in the middle of the walkway. Would love to be in an electric wheelchair and just ram the hell out of the door.

jules21 wrote:oh man, luke, that's bad luck. i'd have insisted she pay for a new tyre ;)

Put 150 more k's and dirtied them up abit and it looks to be just cosmetic. I spose it looked worse because it was brand spanking new.
Lukeyboy

Postby g-boaf » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:26 pm

They are just making sure cyclists get off their bike. It's deliberate and who will stop them?

My moron motorist was in a beige Captiva. Male oversize load in passenger seat screamed out something unintelligible hoping to scare me. Didn't work. Normally I'd be more charitable but in this instance - just made me mad. If I'd managed to catch them up I might have confronted the passenger.
g-boaf

Postby Marto » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:29 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Felt just like doing that today to this pr**k! A whole empty road and they choose to park right there in the middle of the walkway. Would love to be in an electric wheelchair and just ram the hell out of the door.

Is that in the back streets of Inala? I think they need to be parked in.
Marto

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Aspley on Brisbane's Northside :x
Lukeyboy

Postby Saturnstarzz » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:38 pm

Marto wrote:
Lukeyboy wrote:Felt just like doing that today to this pr**k! A whole empty road and they choose to park right there in the middle of the walkway. Would love to be in an electric wheelchair and just ram the hell out of the door.

Shrader Valve removers work well on car tyres as aswell :D
Saturnstarzz

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:44 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
arkle wrote:Next time just ride into her door at a non-injurious, though dent/scratch causing, speed.

arkle

Felt just like doing that today to this pr**k! A whole empty road and they choose to park right there in the middle of the walkway. Would love to be in an electric wheelchair and just ram the hell out of the door.

Maybe drawing a wheelchair on the bonnet with your pump would convey the same message, perhaps? Of course, I would never suggest that. ;)
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby London Boy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:
Marto wrote:

Shrader Valve removers work well on car tyres as aswell :D

Just what do you think that aerosol paint cans are for?
London Boy

Postby arkle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 pm

Carry a bidon of paint stripper.

arkle
arkle

Postby duncanm » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:24 pm

Rather than being so extreme.. how about you suggest to the local council that they put up some no-parking signs?
duncanm

Postby jules21 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:25 pm

duncanm wrote:Rather than being so extreme.. how about you suggest to the local council that they put up some no-parking signs?

it's clearly a driveway, there's no need for signs
jules21

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:12 pm

jules21 wrote:
duncanm wrote:Rather than being so extreme.. how about you suggest to the local council that they put up some no-parking signs?

it's clearly a driveway, there's no need for signs

Yep. There's no need for council to provide any signage. If someone from the council saw it they'd throw a $100 fine on it and tow it away.
198 Obstructing access to and from a footpath, driveway etc.
(1) A driver must not stop on a road in a position that obstructs access by vehicles or pedestrians to or from a footpath ramp or a similar way of access to a footpath, or a bicycle path or passageway
Lukeyboy

Postby Saturnstarzz » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:20 am

Moron Motorist was a Sealane (Rego WON929) truck driver who decided park in the Copenahagen bike lane on Latrobe Street even though there was a park 50 m down the road and was clearly to lazy to walk the extra distance.

Might write them a email and one to Bicycle Network.

Saturnstarzz

Postby nescius » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:07 pm

This doozy popped up in my youtube subscriptions, shows what happens when you treat the road like a race track (and you suffer a bit of target fixation!). Apparently all three walked away.
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby jules21 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:16 pm

that's just appalling skills - dude shouldn't have been given a license.
jules21

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion