Moron Motorists #3

Arbuckle23
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:07 pm
Location: Mornington Peninsula

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:29 pm

On Peninsula Link Trail this morning. Coming up to one of the zebra crossing before you get to the lights on Golf Links rd.
MM come steaming off the freeway and I could see she wasn't going to stop and give way to me like she should, so I stayed put.
She pulls up and then gesticulates at me as if to say she need ed to be that far forward to see the traffic.
I just kept calm and pointed at the crossing lines. She sheepishly reversed back behind the lines and I crossed.

Sometimes its good to stay calm and just point out the obvious :D

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 4999
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:16 pm

Man refused bail after fourth driving offence


http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... yndjg.html

A Fyshwick man has been refused bail after his fourth driving offence and failures to appear in court for previous offences.

Robert Thomson, 23, faced the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with failing to appear in court and driving while disqualified.

Police pulled Mr Thomson over on Friday night. His car had a broken tail light, no ignition shaft and a raw steel steering wheel.

They arrested him after realising he was a disqualified driver and the subject of a warrant for his latest failure to appear in court earlier this month.

Magistrate Karen Fryar described Mr Thomson's car as "less than roadworthy" before she decided he could not be trusted to appear in court if he was released on bail for this fourth driving offence.

"It seems that you have not got the message," she said.

Mr Thomson had failed to appear in court earlier this month after being charged with driving disqualified in July.

He had also twice failed to appear in court in 2016 for other driving disqualified charges.

His defence counsel put this to Mr Thomson being homeless at the time, since then Thomson had taken up residence in Fyshwick.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5826
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:35 pm

Ross wrote:Man refused bail after fourth driving offence


http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... yndjg.html

A Fyshwick man has been refused bail after his fourth driving offence and failures to appear in court for previous offences.

Robert Thomson, 23, faced the ACT Magistrates Court on Saturday charged with failing to appear in court and driving while disqualified.

Police pulled Mr Thomson over on Friday night. His car had a broken tail light, no ignition shaft and a raw steel steering wheel.

They arrested him after realising he was a disqualified driver and the subject of a warrant for his latest failure to appear in court earlier this month.

Magistrate Karen Fryar described Mr Thomson's car as "less than roadworthy" before she decided he could not be trusted to appear in court if he was released on bail for this fourth driving offence.

"It seems that you have not got the message," she said.

Mr Thomson had failed to appear in court earlier this month after being charged with driving disqualified in July.

He had also twice failed to appear in court in 2016 for other driving disqualified charges.

His defence counsel put this to Mr Thomson being homeless at the time, since then Thomson had taken up residence in Fyshwick.


Clearly the ACT Government has fallen for populist "tough on crime" policies...

g-boaf
Posts: 8703
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:57 pm

Had a car trying to hassle me going into a roundabout the other day. No good - I'm in the lane and not moving for someone when the roundabout is less than 10 metres away. :roll:

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:31 pm

g-boaf wrote:Had a car trying to hassle me going into a roundabout the other day. No good - I'm in the lane and not moving for someone when the roundabout is less than 10 metres away. :roll:


I've had a few try and squeeze me out of the way when entering a roundabout, they're idiots, but I ain't letting them in.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

uart
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:20 pm

DavidS wrote:
g-boaf wrote:Had a car trying to hassle me going into a roundabout the other day. No good - I'm in the lane and not moving for someone when the roundabout is less than 10 metres away. :roll:


I've had a few try and squeeze me out of the way when entering a roundabout


Yeah, it's nearly a daily occurrence for me. :?

User avatar
fingy
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby fingy » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:05 pm

Apparently bikes don't count :x
Image

uart
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:43 pm

fingy wrote:Apparently bikes don't count :x


That scenario is all too common at roundabouts fingy. As usual it's either SMIDSY or IDGAF, but which we'll probably never know. :evil:

Report it to police! Another member reported a similar incident here not long ago and the police did take action and the driver was fined (based on the video evidence).

Scott_C
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:20 pm

uart wrote:
fingy wrote:Apparently bikes don't count :x


That scenario is all too common at roundabouts fingy.


If you are particularly unlucky it ends up like this:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 1c1a03332d
(warning: whilst not gory the video shows a cyclist sustaining serious injuries)

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:37 pm

Riding South on Beach Rd this evening I come to the intersection of Acland St and Beach Rd, just before the end of Fitzroy St. Always careful at that little intersection as Beach Rd veers right and Acland St goes off pretty much straight. Today an L Plater sails across in front of me when I'm more than half way across the intersection. I hate to think what they're being taught and what sort of driver they will become. If you know the intersection well you'll know it never saves them time as they end up going a few metres before they get to a red light, what a joke. I looked across and did some gesturing, I really don't think the learner or the licenced driver knew what they had done wrong.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

User avatar
murbul
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby murbul » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:47 pm

I don't think she had a clue that she'd done anything wrong


jindydiver
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jindydiver » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:17 am

murbul wrote:I don't think she had a clue that she'd done anything wrong



Sometimes they just don't care :(

dmwill
Posts: 497
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:13 am
Location: Perth, NOR

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby dmwill » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 pm

Common theme: grey Toyota Yaris.

User avatar
CXCommuter
Posts: 1867
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:18 pm
Location: Lane Cove NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby CXCommuter » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:31 pm

Really scary one this morning. Heading south in moderate traffic through Chatswood on the highway. The middle lane stopped and a motorcyclist rear ended a car alongside me, he then glanced off the car and cut across me with his arm grazing my bars. He then did a runner. Thankfully for him he got a green light. I stayed upright and unscathed

I was doing 40km/h and he was doing a bit more. Him cutting an inch or two more to the left would have been involved me going down with a motorbike probably on top of me :shock:
Image

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 2290
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:44 pm

I had one today. Riding along a street, outside the car parking spaces with bike illustrations. Car (well undersized SUV crap) pulls alongside me and asks why I'm not in the bike lane. I reply that it isn't a bike lane, it is a car park, and stay where I am. He then turns left and stops. Since I was turning right anyway I turn right and keep going on my way. Have no motivation to be bored senseless by some idiot's interpretation of the road rules.

DS
Image

Cannondale Quick Speed 2, Allegro T1

jasonc
Posts: 9410
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:45 am

DavidS wrote: Have no motivation to be bored senseless by some idiot's incorrect interpretation of the road rules.

DS

Ftfy

from yesterday:

front

rear
Image

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 4999
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:57 pm

Four car crash in underground car park

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensl ... 73912a2b2d

Image

EMERGENCY services are at the scene of a multi vehicle crash in the underground car park of the Grand Hotel on Marine Parade at Southport.

The four-vehicle smash, which occurred just after 12.30pm caused one car to flip onto its roof.

The driver, an elderly man, was removed from the flipped car.

The man suffered a medical condition and was taken to Gold Coast University Hospital.

There is currently fuel spillage in the car park.

It is not yet known how the incident occured.

jasonc
Posts: 9410
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:44 pm

As soon as I read Southport I said to myself elderly driver. No surprise down there
Image

uart
Posts: 932
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 pm

Ross wrote:Four car crash in underground car park

I know that they are saying "a medical condition", but 99% of the time accidents like that are a pedal confusion issue.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6857
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:54 pm

Scott_C wrote:
uart wrote:
fingy wrote:Apparently bikes don't count :x


That scenario is all too common at roundabouts fingy.


If you are particularly unlucky it ends up like this:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 1c1a03332d
(warning: whilst not gory the video shows a cyclist sustaining serious injuries)


FeralHun mate. They want a subscription to access their biased "reporting" Wt? :lol:

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6857
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:04 pm

uart wrote:
Ross wrote:Four car crash in underground car park

I know that they are saying "a medical condition", but 99% of the time accidents like that are a pedal confusion issue.


Oh whoops I put my foot on the accelerator instead of the brake.
Due to the age-related cognitive impairment and slow reaction time, instead of taking my foot off and pressing the pedal next to it, I'll freeze with my foot in place and press it to the floor :x

Scott_C
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:12 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Scott_C wrote:
uart wrote:
That scenario is all too common at roundabouts fingy.


If you are particularly unlucky it ends up like this:
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/inne ... 1c1a03332d
(warning: whilst not gory the video shows a cyclist sustaining serious injuries)


FeralHun mate. They want a subscription to access their biased "reporting" Wt? :lol:

Might have to go via Google News instead to skip the subscription pop-up: https://news.google.com/news/search/sec ... -AU&ned=au

The reporting on this one is surprisingly fair to the cyclist.

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6857
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Scott_C wrote:Might have to go via Google News instead to skip the subscription pop-up: https://news.google.com/news/search/sec ... -AU&ned=au

The reporting on this one is surprisingly fair to the cyclist.


Thanks. :)

RobertL
Posts: 350
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby RobertL » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:11 pm

My wife wrote off her car some years ago when she was out with friends buying her wedding dress. She phoned me and told me that the car was totalled, and she said, "but it's not my fault". I said, "yeah right".

Then she told me that she was not even in the car at the time, and that it was parked in the shopping arcade car park. Some youngish woman had committed an act of bad driving, sideswiped 3 cars on the way into ploughing into my wife's, which she hit so hard that it got shoved into the car next to it and they were both written off. We don't know why the woman did this, but my wife thinks that she may have been drunk.

Then she had to wait for hours for the police to arrive because her friend phoned them and reported an accident in a car park with no-one hurt, and not multiple cars written off in crazed driving frenzy.

She got a very nice wedding dress at a highly discounted price, though.

Scott_C
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:42 pm

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/brisba ... 4ywa4.html

Which negligent PoS from Transport and Main Roads allowed a vehicle with such a huge obstruction to its forward facing field of view to be registered as a road vehicle? (and yes it is registered, other news sites have photos from the opposite side with a clearly shown rego plate).

It looks like the driver wouldn't be able to see a thing between 30 and 60 degrees left, perfectly designed to collide with pedestrians and/or cyclists.

As a commercial vehicle you also have to wonder about the OH&S rep who let it be driven on public roads even with an inappropriately granted registration, I bet they wouldn't let it operate on site without a spotter but stick it on a public road and off it goes...

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 10speedsemiracer, Derny Driver, find_bruce, human909, simlin