Moron Motorists #3

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:36 pm

warthog1 wrote:
biker jk wrote:
Dan Andrews is from the Socialist Left faction of the Labor Party.

Stop reading the Guardian/ABC/Fairfax and you'll be better informed.

The rejection of the freedom of information request occurred under the current Socialist government.



You clearly have a flawed understanding of the definition of Socialism :lol:
A diet saturated in Newscorp will do that to you ;) Are you a Fox news subscriber too?

You are suggesting there has been direct interference by the government in blocking the FOI request.
That is the inference by the newscorp media however there is no evidence.


I made no such suggestion but was countering your argument it was old news because the cyclist was struck in 2013 and the current socialist government was elected in 2014 (not 2016 as you wrote).

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6876
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:17 pm

biker jk wrote:
I made no such suggestion but was countering your argument it was old news because the cyclist was struck in 2013 and the current socialist government was elected in 2014 (not 2016 as you wrote).


What is your purpose in in copying and pasting a Newscorp story that makes that inference if not to repeat it?
Perhaps you can explain the purpose of this statement other than to make that suggestion?

biker jk wrote:
The rejection of the freedom of information request occurred under the current Socialist government.



Crikey time flies. :(
I stood at pre-polling and polling day handing out how to vote for the labour party.
The tories were offering us 2.5% pa pay rise and a loss of conditions. This on top of us being the lowest paid paramedics in the country at the time. The Andrews Government bought us back to parity with other states.

The accident in question took place on 07-01-13 and the Andrews gvt was elected almost 23 months later on 29-11-14

Here is the definition of Socialism;


1 :any of various economic and political theories advocating collective or governmental ownership and administration of the means of production and distribution of goods
2 a :a system of society or group living in which there is no private property
b :a system or condition of society in which the means of production are owned and controlled by the state
3 :a stage of society in Marxist theory transitional between capitalism and communism and distinguished by unequal distribution of goods and pay according to work done

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/socialism

It varies slightly from the Newscorp ideas imprinted on your brain :roll:

jasonc
Posts: 9433
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 pm

My favourite quote on this topic is
"did you get the facts is your News Limited"
I don't like any media in Oz.
Image

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5014
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:22 pm

The thread topic is Moron Motorists, not Moron Politicains or Moron Journalists...

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18452
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:13 pm

Why would the request for information on a motoring incident be deemed to be of concern to the public and therefor the information has been suppressed?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

duncanm
Posts: 421
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby duncanm » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 am

Ross wrote:The thread topic is Moron Motorists, not Moron Politicains or Moron Journalists...


.. nor moron voter.

User avatar
jules21
Posts: 10331
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:31 am

mikesbytes wrote:Why would the request for information on a motoring incident be deemed to be of concern to the public and therefor the information has been suppressed?

not in the public interest for their confidence in police to be decreased

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:43 am

Never discuss religion or politics! :)

Back on topic, I had an interaction with a motorist yesterday, nothing unusual. I ride along a 220m section of road that has no shoulder and a very narrow traffic lane. Usually I would ride in the left wheel track because visibility is pretty good and that allows people to overtake without having to go too wide, but yesterday there was a car coming the other way, and there was another car about 400m behind me. So I moved out to the centre of the lane to discourage him from squeezing me. He came up behind me and started blowing his horn. I turned around and gave him the palm-up 'what's up' gesture. A couple of seconds later I left the road to join the shared path, and he pulls up on the side of the road, winds his passenger window down and starts carrying on wanting to know what was wrong with the side of the road. I pointed out there wasn't a side of the road and he drove off.

As I say, nothing unusual, but since he had his business name on the back of his car, and I don't very often get the opportunity to do so, I sent him a polite email, first of all apologising for swearing at him (which I did a fair bit of) and explained to him why I did what I did. I also gave him some data on our relative speeds and how much time I would have cost him - which turns out to be 1.8 seconds with him going 50 and me 40kph, but I generously rounded up to 2. Although it did end up costing him more because I slowed down to turn around and look at him, plus his little outburst on the side of the road. So I estimated about 6 seconds out of his busy day.

Well that wasn't good enough for him. His reply was that I was an ignorant p#### and that I need to get my facts straight and read the road rules. I am breaking the law by "abstructing [sic] traffic" and I am not special.

So I replied that I was certain I had my facts straight, pointed out that "obstructing traffic" does not apply to slow moving vehicles, assured him that none of my actions were in contravention of any road rule, and that all I wanted to do was explain what was going on so that next time he might be a bit more tolerant.

His next reply was that he had spoken to his 'mate' who is in the Federal Police and explained the details to him and he had been assured that he was right and I was in the wrong. He probably failed to mention that blowing your horn for any reason other than warning is a breach of the road rules, but I let that slide. He told me he had been advised to seek legal advice if my actions defamed him.

So I asked him why he thought I was trying to defame him. I said I'm not out to get you, I'm just trying to explain what was going on. I invited him to have a good look next time he drives through that section of road and let me know where he thinks a bicycle should be to allow him (he was driving a Landcruiser) to pass me safely with 1 metre clearance and a car coming the other way.

Well let's say I'm not optimistic but we will see what comes back if I ever hear from him again.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18452
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:03 am

SlientC, sounds like he's not really interested in the facts, just want's to win the argument
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
jules21
Posts: 10331
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:10 am

silentC wrote:His next reply was that he had spoken to his 'mate' who is in the Federal Police and explained the details to him and he had been assured that he was right and I was in the wrong.

did this happen in NSW? he may as well have sought advice from a clairvoyant. the AFP have no jurisdiction or training on NSW road rules. ask them about parking at airports though.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:19 am

Yes NSW. Even the NSW cops struggle with the road rules when it comes to bicycles ;)

I just said to him "yes I'm sure the details you gave him were accurate". That is if he even did speak to anyone. I might tell him if he wants to give me the cop's contact details, I'll call and give my side of the story.

I'm using it as an experiment. Standing on the side of the road shouting doesn't work, so I thought I'd see if rational discussion would get any further. At the moment he feels threatened because I know who he is but he doesn't know me, other than an email address. This guy is not the sharpest tool in the shed but if I can convince him to rethink it, then there is hope. Fool that I am...
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
jules21
Posts: 10331
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:28 am

silentC wrote: I might tell him if he wants to give me the cop's contact details, I'll call and give my side of the story.

it could be fun, but they're not a cop for the purposes of what you're discussing. just another civilian with an opinion. I have doubts you'd get much out of a discussion with them :)

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6876
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:32 am

silentC wrote:Never discuss religion or politics! :)


I'd have probably stayed quiet were it not for the ridiculous and overtly political descriptor for the government.

Your advice is good :oops: lol

jasonc
Posts: 9433
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

Sign their email address up to some "extra material"
Image

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:56 am

Now that would just be vindictive! :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
warthog1
Posts: 6876
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:58 am

He probably has digested what you informed him. Just not going to admit it.
Asking where he thinks you should have positioned yourself couldn't lead him to any other conclusion than to see a reason for your actions.

User avatar
jules21
Posts: 10331
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:06 am

warthog1 wrote:He probably has digested what you informed him. Just not going to admit it.
Asking where he thinks you should have positioned yourself couldn't lead him to any other conclusion than to see a reason for your actions.

I doubt it. He's more likely infuriated that you would use your bicycle to impede the progress of his superior car and sees Silent C as an 'arrogant cyclist' who needs to be punished.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5065
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:14 am

warthog1 wrote:He probably has digested what you informed him. Just not going to admit it.
Asking where he thinks you should have positioned yourself couldn't lead him to any other conclusion than to see a reason for your actions.

I would hope that this is the case, but it might not be. Once the initial argument has died down, that he might consider the actual rules and modify his behaviour, especially if you can successfully point out that for 2 seconds of his day he would have been on his way rather than spending all the extra time in fight mode.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 5867
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:31 am

silentC wrote:Never discuss religion or politics! :)

Back on topic, I had an interaction with a motorist yesterday, nothing unusual. I ride along a 220m section of road that has no shoulder and a very narrow traffic lane. Usually I would ride in the left wheel track because visibility is pretty good and that allows people to overtake without having to go too wide, but yesterday there was a car coming the other way, and there was another car about 400m behind me. So I moved out to the centre of the lane to discourage him from squeezing me. He came up behind me and started blowing his horn. I turned around and gave him the palm-up 'what's up' gesture. A couple of seconds later I left the road to join the shared path, and he pulls up on the side of the road, winds his passenger window down and starts carrying on wanting to know what was wrong with the side of the road. I pointed out there wasn't a side of the road and he drove off.

As I say, nothing unusual, but since he had his business name on the back of his car, and I don't very often get the opportunity to do so, I sent him a polite email, first of all apologising for swearing at him (which I did a fair bit of) and explained to him why I did what I did. I also gave him some data on our relative speeds and how much time I would have cost him - which turns out to be 1.8 seconds with him going 50 and me 40kph, but I generously rounded up to 2. Although it did end up costing him more because I slowed down to turn around and look at him, plus his little outburst on the side of the road. So I estimated about 6 seconds out of his busy day.

Well that wasn't good enough for him. His reply was that I was an ignorant p#### and that I need to get my facts straight and read the road rules. I am breaking the law by "abstructing [sic] traffic" and I am not special.

So I replied that I was certain I had my facts straight, pointed out that "obstructing traffic" does not apply to slow moving vehicles, assured him that none of my actions were in contravention of any road rule, and that all I wanted to do was explain what was going on so that next time he might be a bit more tolerant.

His next reply was that he had spoken to his 'mate' who is in the Federal Police and explained the details to him and he had been assured that he was right and I was in the wrong. He probably failed to mention that blowing your horn for any reason other than warning is a breach of the road rules, but I let that slide. He told me he had been advised to seek legal advice if my actions defamed him.

So I asked him why he thought I was trying to defame him. I said I'm not out to get you, I'm just trying to explain what was going on. I invited him to have a good look next time he drives through that section of road and let me know where he thinks a bicycle should be to allow him (he was driving a Landcruiser) to pass me safely with 1 metre clearance and a car coming the other way.

Well let's say I'm not optimistic but we will see what comes back if I ever hear from him again.


"Obstructing traffic" does apply to slow moving vehicles but not bicycles. There is an offence of causing a traffic hazard which applies to bicycles.

253 Bicycle riders not to cause a traffic hazard
The rider of a bicycle must not cause a traffic hazard by moving into the path of a driver or pedestrian.
Maximum penalty: 20 penalty units.


I think the driver is a tool and you did not cause a traffic hazard. He was going to attempt an unsafe pass given the oncoming vehicle.

While riding in a group of four (single file) on a country ride on Saturday a bogan honked his horn aggressively as he was passing. He stopped and told us we shouldn't be riding on the road but should be on the grass. :roll: Now, there was an argument and he threatened to run us over but I have it on video for future reference. :lol:
Last edited by biker jk on Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:33 am

Well I'll wait and see what he comes back with, if anything. He is a tradie and lives south of town, most of his work would be north of here. So he would drive that bit of road every morning, and I bet he was paying extra attention as he drove through there this morning.

I pulled it up on Google maps just to make sure I wasn't overstating things and there are some good shots of the road with cars on it showing that there is not enough lane for a bike and a car without the car squeezing the cyclist if a car was coming the other way. I have had numerous close passes there.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
Tim
Posts: 1792
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:02 pm
Location: Gippsland Lakes

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Tim » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:37 am

You're dealing with a moron. Reason won't win the argument.
You know his business details.
Slash his tyre. :D
Just joking, sort of.

jasonc
Posts: 9433
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:54 am

Send him a picture with the Lane width asking him where we wants you to sit. Suggest he use Ms paint. He may need instructions. Keep him going. He might learn something
Image

HenryCharlie
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby HenryCharlie » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:11 pm

biker jk wrote:While riding in a group of four (single file) on a country ride on Saturday a bogan honked his horn aggressively as he was passing. He stopped and told us we shouldn't be riding on the road but should be on the grass.


Kellogs have a lot to answer for! They never should have run that promotion for a free drivers license in a packet of corn flakes!
I overtook some people going uphill once.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2286
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:25 pm

jasonc wrote:Send him a picture with the Lane width asking him where we wants you to sit. Suggest he use Ms paint. He may need instructions. Keep him going. He might learn something

My next move will be to go down there late and run a tape from the centre line to the solid bit (the edge of the road surface is very uneven, full of potholes and not safe to ride on). Then I'll give him the relevant measurements of the bike, his vehicle and the 1 metre clearance and ask him what maths he can work up to demonstrate there was room for him to pass.

Unfortunately I think I went a bit technical early on by calculating our relative times over the section of road and it seemed to go over his head because he chose to ignore the whole aspect of how much I had delayed him. He's focusing on me being an obstruction by being on the road at all and the fact I did it deliberately when I saw him coming, which is actually the only factual statement he has made.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Scott_C
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:05 pm

HenryCharlie wrote:Kellogs have a lot to answer for! They never should have run that promotion for a free drivers license in a packet of corn flakes!


If they didn't give away licenses in packets of Corn Flakes then you wouldn't get videos like this one from last week in Middle Swan, WA.


Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users