Moron Motorists #3

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:25 pm

Ross wrote:Driver denies he was to blame for collision with pedestrian

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia ... ocid=ientp

What a tool, all he needed to do was continue driving straight in his lane, the Ped was about 5mtr's past that lane by the time of impact
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

g-boaf

Re: M7 cycleway accident

Postby g-boaf » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:07 pm

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=17399&p=1433473#p1433473

Crash on the M7 cycleway involving a group of motorbike riders (who shouldn't be on there) and a cyclist.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:28 am

And I had a crazy close pass yesterday on Chandos Road near Horsley Park at around 5:50pm, a silver Nissan Pulsar sedan passed me with maybe a couple of inches gap. If it was any closer it would have hit me. No camera footage as I don't run a camera, but it was crazy close. :cry:

And to note, my bars are 400mm wide on that bike, so it's hardly like I'm taking up much room. The driver just didn't even try to change lanes or give me a metre. :x
Last edited by g-boaf on Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sully

Postby Sully » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:43 am

I had one the other day on the Gold Coast. Concrete barrier on one side and parked cars on the other with a three metre gap in the middle. My handle bars are 600 mm wide and the Holden captiva was 1850 mm wide.
I think if I had moved my elbow a little I could have touched their mirror.
I do have a camera and the police have my complaint. I'm interested to see if any thing happens.

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:48 am

http://www.news.com.au/national/queensl ... 0aaa8f7c57

Suspected hit and run with the unconscious cyclist found, sans bicycle. With so many cyclists carrying cameras, this could me the new hit and run MM standard
Go!Run!GAH!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:03 pm

Maybe we need a Murderous Motorists thread.
Some of the recent posts seem to show intent.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:17 pm

warthog1 wrote:Maybe we need a Murderous Motorists thread.
Some of the recent posts seem to show intent.

You could be onto something. I had one with White Van Man this morning.

Everyone else without exception managed to give me safe distance, even if all of them weren't quite the full metre, by moving partially into the next lane. After the red hatch ahead of him changes lanes completely, WVM accelerates and shaves me within (I estimate) 25cm.

He gave me a real scare. I'll have to check some screen grabs and see if it's visible but he gave me the middle finger afterwards for good measure, just so there was no mistake about his intentions.

I'll be going back tonight to measure up.

AdelaidePeter

Postby AdelaidePeter » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:06 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:http://www.news.com.au/national/queensland/news/man-found-on-surfers-paradise-street-with-serious-head-injuries/news-story/bd4b42049d8e75618b06c70aaa8f7c57

Suspected hit and run with the unconscious cyclist found, sans bicycle. With so many cyclists carrying cameras, this could me the new hit and run MM standard

It seems no MM was involved, or cyclist for that matter: "CCTV confirmed the man was walking along the footpath, carrying a bicycle helmet, when he fell and hit his head, police said". https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 4yyur.html

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:17 pm

trailgumby wrote:You could be onto something. I had one with White Van Man this morning.

Everyone else without exception managed to give me safe distance, even if all of them weren't quite the full metre, by moving partially into the next lane. After the red hatch ahead of him changes lanes completely, WVM accelerates and shaves me within (I estimate) 25cm.

He gave me a real scare. I'll have to check some screen grabs and see if it's visible but he gave me the middle finger afterwards for good measure, just so there was no mistake about his intentions.

That puts me into an incandescent rage when it happens (we have all experienced driver behaviour like it)
Does running a camera help to mitigate the rage?
Good on you for following up. That is probably the most effective way to modify his behaviour. My overwhelming impulse is to repay one violent act with another. Not good.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:25 pm

warthog1 wrote:That puts me into an incandescent rage when it happens (we have all experienced driver behaviour like it)
Good on you for following up. That is probably the most effective way to modify his behaviour. My overwhelming impulse is to repay one violent act with another. Not good.

I don't know what it is about this 1km stretch of Warringah Road between Forest Way and Allambie Roads. I have more deliberate close pass incidents here than everywhere else put together.

I haven't ever shared this before. I must admit, after I was intentionally hit by the guy in a Magnamail company car December 2009 on this stretch, it would do the same to me too. Not long after I had recovered from my injuries and was back on the bike and riding, one guy in a white trayback ute deliberately close shaved me with the horn going, a couple of hundred metres before the lights with Allambie Road heading westbound. Scared the absolute living carp out of me. I thought I was about to be hit. Again.

When I caught up with him, he said I was "in the middle of the road" (left wheel track on Lane 1 of a 3 lane road) and that he'd do it again.

That last comment just made me snap. My right fist just seemed to fly out of its own accord. Fortunately I opened my palm and redirected its path a few degrees mid-flight and slapped the door, making it rattle. He tried to chase me down for "damaging his car" -
there was none. It was a dented up pile of junk in any case.

In addition to being pretty traumatised by what he did, I scared myself. An assault conviction would severely limit any future career prospects. I went to my GP afterwards and asked him to write to Magnamail's insurance company and demand anger management counselling. They were reluctant but did come through. It took a few months, but the work with the psychologist made a massive difference. The cameras were a part of the circuit breaker. If it really was as bad as it seemed at the time, I could report it with the video. If not, I'd see that on the video and chill out.

Either way, it would help me avoid doing something in the heat of the moment I'd later regret.

I'll share screenshots of White Van Man later on today.

Turns out to have been a smart move. My new employer is having background checks done.
Last edited by trailgumby on Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:38 pm

trailgumby wrote:
warthog1 wrote:That puts me into an incandescent rage when it happens (we have all experienced driver behaviour like it)

I don't know what it is about this 1km stretch of Warringah Road between Forest Way and Allambie Roads. I have more deliberate close pass incidents here than everywhere else put together.

Yep. I will not ride this stretch any longer, on either side, particularly since the works commenced. Worst stretch for close passes on the northern beaches. I did 60km last weekend, Spit/Manly/North Head/Queenscliff/Manly Vale...not an issue.

Jim

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks for the personal response TG.
I love the way you threw it onto his insurance co to foot the bill for therapy. That was a very intelligent course of action. 8)

I was close shaved deliberately by a coach driver a couple of years ago on the way home from a night shift.
Inches off my right handlebar in an 80 k zone with no other traffic either way.
I was moved by the air pressure at the front of the bus.
Scared me badly as, with the motor at the back and in my tired state, I heard nothing coming.

I continued on seething in fury at the way my life had been threatened.
A few k's later I caught up with the bus outside a sporting stadium at the side of the road.
I rode up onto the footpath, got off my bike and stormed onto the bus screaming at the driver.
I put my face inches from his whilst he cowered in the corner of the driver's seat
Eventually he had had enough and was unrepentent challenging me to become physical.
I came close to a full on punch to the face but grabbed him around the neck instead.
At that point I realised what I was doing and retreated as the possible consequences dawned on me.
He was then having a go at me and fishing his phone out to take photos of me.
I got on my bike and rode off.
I expected a phone call or visit from the police for the next couple of months but it never came.
Not pleasant or rewarding in any way.
I don't know that my employment would have continued either.

Your way is better :oops: :)

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:11 pm

Interesting, Jim.

On this stretch I've been deliberately hit by Mr Magnamail (and had my hand smashed up, almost resulting in losing my right pinkie), told to "get a car" by Ms Overweight Tarago Driver, skimmed by the white ute driver above, had a couple while riding with the Forest Rollers but there wasn't enough evidence of distances to make a complaint stick, Mr Green Ute Man who was successfully prosecuted, and now this guy. I may raise this with the traffic sergeant.

@warthog1, I've done similar to Sydney Buses drivers on a couple of occasions, but I have never touched them though as I am aware that they have 6 cameras running on each bus, so I can use their own footage against them. I've made 5 or 6 complaints over the last 9 years or so. They have been handled very professionally. A repeat offender was dismissed, I believe. All the others were disciplined and required to undergo remedial training.

One guy left hooked me into the kerb two stops in a row. Second time I boarded the bus and gave him a lecture. His response was "oh, you're going to teach me how to drive are you?" to which I riposted "Somebody has to. You're going to kill someone if you keep that up." His response was a shocked and mortified expression. I disembarked, got on my bike and pedalled off. He waited for me to go and did not overtake again. I didn't bother reporting that one as he seemed to have taken my criticisms on board.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:11 pm

warthog1 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:You could be onto something. I had one with White Van Man this morning.

That puts me into an incandescent rage when it happens (we have all experienced driver behaviour like it)

I'm unsure if it does help mitigate it, but like the two of you I was very angry. Only the fact it was uphill and I had no chance of staying with the car, and I also had a turn off stopped me. I just don't get why this driver was so damned careless. :( All the other drivers, even a P plate driver with a few other teens in the car gave me room.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

trailgumby wrote:
@warthog1, I've done similar to Sydney Buses drivers on a couple of occasions, but I have never touched them though as I am aware that they have 6 cameras running on each bus, so I can use their own footage against them. I've made 5 or 6 complaints over the last 9 years or so. They have been handled very professionally. A repeat offender was dismissed, I believe. All the others were disciplined and required to undergo remedial training.

One guy left hooked me into the kerb two stops in a row. Second time I boarded the bus and gave him a lecture. His response was "oh, you're going to teach me how to drive are you?" to which I riposted "Somebody has to. You're going to kill someone if you keep that up." His response was a shocked and mortified expression. I disembarked, got on my bike and pedalled off. He waited for me to go and did not overtake again. I didn't bother reporting that one as he seemed to have taken my criticisms on board.

8)

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:47 pm

If he really believes he had no other option, then his spatial perception is so poor, he shouldn't even hold a drivers licence in the 1st place.

Ken

uart

Postby uart » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:14 pm

kenwstr wrote:

If he really believes he had no other option, then his spatial perception is so poor, he shouldn't even hold a drivers licence in the 1st place.

Ken

The thing that really gets me about this guy is his attitude : When asked if he felt bad for the injuries caused to the pedestrian, Fry replied, "Absolutely not, because to me they were self-inflicted". :?

Three demerit points and a fine (and that's only if he is found guilty of the charges laid). So basically he'll get slapped with a wet lettuce leaf and be straight back on the road. :evil:

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:12 pm

uart wrote:
kenwstr wrote:

Ken

The thing that really gets me about this guy is his attitude : When asked if he felt bad for the injuries caused to the pedestrian, Fry replied, "Absolutely not, because to me they were self-inflicted". :?

Three demerit points and a fine (and that's only if he is found guilty of the charges laid). So basically he'll get slapped with a wet lettuce leaf and be straight back on the road. :evil:

the guy clearly has form -- driving around on P's at his age.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm

Plus the mullet :o
lol

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:Plus the mullet :o
lol

It's de rigueur in Adelaide. :lol:

BJL

Postby BJL » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm

Don't forget the goatie! 8)

I don't know how the guy can claim he tried to avoid the pedestrian because from the video, it looks like the idiot was aiming right for him. :(

What does a motorist have to do before a court will determine that the motorist acted deliberately and charge them with attempted murder because this is exactly what this is. Mullet and goatie guy skillfully avoided the tree and steered towards the pedestrian. If this isn't attempted murder, I don't know what is.

The Bourke St Mall guy should be following this. He can claim he had trams in front of him and was actually trying to avoid the pedestrians who were walking right in front of him. With so many pedestrians around, he was bound to hit a few. Not his fault. :roll:

chriso_29er

Postby chriso_29er » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:15 pm

Have a look at the interview, the idiot clearly does not have the brains to hold a licence. They will give one to any idiot these days.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:25 pm

Given the magistrate's castigation of the prosecution for not laying more serious charges, he will get a substantial fine I would think. Moron should have just paid up. Looks like he's not the full quid, as my late dad used to say.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:56 pm

BJL wrote:Don't forget the goatie! 8)

I don't know how the guy can claim he tried to avoid the pedestrian because from the video, it looks like the idiot was aiming right for him. :(

What does a motorist have to do before a court will determine that the motorist acted deliberately and charge them with attempted murder because this is exactly what this is. Mullet and goatie guy skillfully avoided the tree and steered towards the pedestrian. If this isn't attempted murder, I don't know what is.

SNIP

Agreed, constant left corrections to ensure the hit
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:16 am

uart wrote:
kenwstr wrote:

Ken

Yes, Sociopaths do drive among us.

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”