Moron Motorists #3

fishwop
Posts: 193
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:20 pm
Location: St Marys NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby fishwop » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:00 pm

My guess is that he was otherwise distracted, like texting.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19226
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:58 pm

fishwop wrote:My guess is that he was otherwise distracted, like texting.

Quite possible but that should of resulted in him going straight instead of turning towards the pedestrian, even to point where he hit the pedestrian on the footpath.

Whatever the truth is, its exhibiting that he isn't suitable to hold a drivers license
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc
Posts: 9855
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:18 pm

closest pass i've ever had:
Image

User avatar
hamishm
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:47 pm

jasonc wrote:closest pass i've ever had:

Yikes! But it looks like you pulled into his lane without giving way?

jasonc
Posts: 9855
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 pm

hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:closest pass i've ever had:

Yikes! But it looks like you pulled into his lane without giving way?

Cnr of annerley rd and Cornwall St, Dutton park heading inbound. My light went green the same time his did. He was coming from annerley rd, not cornwall st
Image

jindydiver
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jindydiver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:21 pm

jasonc wrote:
hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:closest pass i've ever had:

Yikes! But it looks like you pulled into his lane without giving way?

Cnr of annerley rd and Cornwall St, Dutton park heading inbound. My light went green the same time his did. He was coming from annerley rd, not cornwall st

Your light? That is the pedestrian crossing light you are talking about?

jasonc
Posts: 9855
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:12 pm

jindydiver wrote:
jasonc wrote:
hamishm wrote:Yikes! But it looks like you pulled into his lane without giving way?

Cnr of annerley rd and Cornwall St, Dutton park heading inbound. My light went green the same time his did. He was coming from annerley rd, not cornwall st

Your light? That is the pedestrian crossing light you are talking about?

Qld road rules allows bikes to use pedestrian crossings and footpaths
Image

User avatar
hamishm
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:19 pm

jasonc wrote:Cnr of annerley rd and Cornwall St, Dutton park heading inbound. My light went green the same time his did. He was coming from annerley rd, not cornwall st

Found it on the map, can't work out which way you were going though looking at the map and the video. Can you clarify?

jasonc
Posts: 9855
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:41 pm

Hamish - both heading north- west on annerley rd. Can do an image tomorrow with some arrows
Image

jindydiver
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jindydiver » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
jindydiver wrote:
jasonc wrote:Cnr of annerley rd and Cornwall St, Dutton park heading inbound. My light went green the same time his did. He was coming from annerley rd, not cornwall st

Your light? That is the pedestrian crossing light you are talking about?

Qld road rules allows bikes to use pedestrian crossings and footpaths


I have no doubt they do, but you weren't crossing the road were you? How do you figure it is your light?

Bah77
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:51 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Bah77 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

jasonc wrote:
hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:closest pass i've ever had:

Yikes! But it looks like you pulled into his lane without giving way?

My light went green the same time his did.
I was thinking what kind of stupid intersection would have two lights going green causing traffic to almost have a crash... the answer turns out to be "An intersection where one vehicle ignores the road rules" (the bicycle)

User avatar
queequeg
Posts: 5366
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby queequeg » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:21 pm

jasonc wrote:Hamish - both heading north- west on annerley rd. Can do an image tomorrow with some arrows


Looks like a pretty crappy intersection, but I can see exactly what has happened here. From the little island you are crossing Cornwall St, but actually then riding onto Annerley Rd. The lights you crossed at stopped left turning traffic from Cornwall St, but at the same time it goes green for cars on Annerley Rd coming through the same intersection to your right. Effectively, you didn't cross at the pedestrian lights, but entered Annerley Rd from a slip lane against a red light, and the motorist in the left lane who just got the green did not expect that.

If you entered Annerley Rd from the the same traffic island, by crossing on the green to cross Annerley Rd, you would then have a conflict with motorists getting a green light from Cornwall St, correct?

The question is, where did you come from to get to traffic island? Not from Brisbane, so really don't know the lay of the land, but that intersection looks like a dogs breakfast or cyclists. Only viable option I could see would be to get the green crossing light, then position yourself in front of the lead cars turning left onto Annerley Rd, and proceed when the left turn gets the green light.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

User avatar
hamishm
Posts: 597
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hamishm » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 pm

jasonc wrote:Hamish - both heading north- west on annerley rd. Can do an image tomorrow with some arrows

Got it. Sorry to be harsh but it looks like you just didn't give way. You had a green pedestrian to cross Cornwall St, not to enter Annerley Rd!

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5373
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 am

Queensland Police footage shows man towing his blazing trailer along Bruce Highway for 20km

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadge ... c508ebe6d4

INCREDIBLE dascham footage has revealed the moment a car was pulled over after driving a trailer, with no wheels and completely on fire, down a highway.

The trailer was dropping burning debris, and sparks and flames were being sprayed all over the highway.

The trailer did not have any wheels.

The officer turned on his lights and sirens to stop the driver, but he kept going.

The driver finally pulled over at the intersection of the Bruce Highway and Dovedale Rd.

Police received further information to suggest the driver had travelled approximately 20km while fully engulfed in flames, causing burning debris to be littered across the highway which set multiple spot fires along adjoining bushland.

The 49-year-old male driver from Kybong is assisting police with their investigations into the matter.

Image

solmanic
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:26 am
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby solmanic » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:29 am

hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:Hamish - both heading north- west on annerley rd. Can do an image tomorrow with some arrows

Got it. Sorry to be harsh but it looks like you just didn't give way. You had a green pedestrian to cross Cornwall St, not to enter Annerley Rd!


I have to agree. Pedestrian crossing is footpath to footpath. Once you veered right and entered Annerley Rd you technically should have been stopped like all the other cars coming up from Fairfield Rd. I think this should perhaps be moved to the Dumb cyclists & pedestrians thread. To make matters worse, your helmet mounted camera proves that you didn't even look to your right when entering the road. Sorry to be such a downer but them's the rules.

RobertL
Posts: 730
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:08 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby RobertL » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:20 pm

Ross wrote:Queensland Police footage shows man towing his blazing trailer along Bruce Highway for 20km

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadge ... c508ebe6d4

INCREDIBLE dascham footage has revealed the moment a car was pulled over after driving a trailer, with no wheels and completely on fire, down a highway.

The trailer was dropping burning debris, and sparks and flames were being sprayed all over the highway.

The trailer did not have any wheels.

The officer turned on his lights and sirens to stop the driver, but he kept going.

The driver finally pulled over at the intersection of the Bruce Highway and Dovedale Rd.

Police received further information to suggest the driver had travelled approximately 20km while fully engulfed in flames, causing burning debris to be littered across the highway which set multiple spot fires along adjoining bushland.

The 49-year-old male driver from Kybong is assisting police with their investigations into the matter.

Image



I literally cannot work out how anyone can think that it is OK to do this. What sort of thought processes is that guy having? How do they get through life in general?
Image

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5373
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:28 pm

Possibly has mental health issues and/or a recreational drug user.

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5702
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 pm

Ross wrote:Possibly Highly likely has mental health issues and/or a recreational drug user.

FTFY
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

uart
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:10 pm

RobertL wrote:I literally cannot work out how anyone can think that it is OK to do this. What sort of thought processes is that guy having? How do they get through life in general?

Agreed. This guy, and also the guy who ran down the pedestrian the other day because he had "nowhere else to go". Absolutely totally mentally incompetent to be driving a car!

And btw, with that recent pedestrian case, I couldn't believe how blatant that was until I looked at the screen grabs. This is where the car was several seconds before hitting him. About 60 metres away in a 50k zone, and the ped had already cleared his lane!

Can you imagine translating this scenario into a cyclist instead of a pedestrian. There is literally no place on the road that you could possibly ever be safe with this moron. I'm just so angry that he's only going to get a fine and a few demerits over this and allowed straight back on the roads. :evil:

Image

Image

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5702
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:39 pm

uart wrote:
RobertL wrote:I literally cannot work out how anyone can think that it is OK to do this. What sort of thought processes is that guy having? How do they get through life in general?

Agreed. This guy, and also the guy who ran down the pedestrian the other day because he had "nowhere else to go". Absolutely totally mentally incompetent to be driving a car!

More agreement. How's about pushing the middle pedal real hard? (or the wide pedal if you don't have 3). There was more than enough time to stop, maybe not before collecting hte pedestrian, but certainly before hitting the poor innocent shop.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

uart
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:58 pm

bychosis wrote:How's about pushing the middle pedal real hard? (or the wide pedal if you don't have 3). There was more than enough time to stop, maybe not before collecting hte pedestrian, but certainly before hitting the poor innocent shop.


No it was way worse than that. Look at the first screen grab above, the driver is 60m away and the pedestrian has already cleared his lane and moving even further clear at a slow jog. The driver had to do absolutely nothing (other than not actively perusing the poor guy up onto the footpath). If the driver just kept going without taking any action at all he would have missed the ped by a good two metres or more!

jasonc
Posts: 9855
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:19 pm

solmanic wrote:
hamishm wrote:
jasonc wrote:Hamish - both heading north- west on annerley rd. Can do an image tomorrow with some arrows

Got it. Sorry to be harsh but it looks like you just didn't give way. You had a green pedestrian to cross Cornwall St, not to enter Annerley Rd!


I have to agree. Pedestrian crossing is footpath to footpath. Once you veered right and entered Annerley Rd you technically should have been stopped like all the other cars coming up from Fairfield Rd. I think this should perhaps be moved to the Dumb cyclists & pedestrians thread. To make matters worse, your helmet mounted camera proves that you didn't even look to your right when entering the road. Sorry to be such a downer but them's the rules.


Thanks guys. Going to really my medicine with this one
Image

uart
Posts: 1584
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:42 pm

jasonc wrote:Thanks guys. Going to really my medicine with this one

No problems Jason. I can see what you did there, and if we're being totally honest then I'll bet many others here have done similar at some time or other.

It's not so bad when the road that you're entering has a wide kerbside lane, but technically you are entering that road (from the crossing) against the red light on the street you've just crossed.

Still, there's one place around where I live that I do it fairly regularly. At Frederick St (crossing Main Rd Edgeworth) shown here: https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-32.927 ... 312!8i6656

The one traffic lane going straight ahead is busy with cars, it's uphill, and the green cycle of the lights is only about 5 seconds. So I've just found it way safer to cross on the ped crossing to the left of view there, and I re-enter Frederick St on the other side in much the same was as you did. I do check for cars going straight ahead as I re-enter there however.

User avatar
Ross
Posts: 5373
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:52 pm

Speeding motorcyclist caught at 174km/h on Majura Parkway

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0qliu.html

A motorcyclist has lost their licence after being caught riding at 174 kilometres/hour in a 100km/h speed zone on the Majura Parkway near Pialligo on Australia Day.

After being stopped at Symonston on the Monaro Highway, the rider stated "my fuel light had come on and I was trying to make it to the service station at Hume."


Where he was spotted and where he was finally pulled over is approximately 20km away with several closer service stations available :roll:

TheWall
Posts: 762
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby TheWall » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:40 pm

jasonc wrote:
solmanic wrote:
hamishm wrote:Got it. Sorry to be harsh but it looks like you just didn't give way. You had a green pedestrian to cross Cornwall St, not to enter Annerley Rd!


I have to agree. Pedestrian crossing is footpath to footpath. Once you veered right and entered Annerley Rd you technically should have been stopped like all the other cars coming up from Fairfield Rd. I think this should perhaps be moved to the Dumb cyclists & pedestrians thread. To make matters worse, your helmet mounted camera proves that you didn't even look to your right when entering the road. Sorry to be such a downer but them's the rules.


Thanks guys. Going to really my medicine with this one


Still a MM...would have had plenty of time to see Jason and at worse was going to be held up for just a few seconds..or gawd forbid, just needed to change lanes! Two wrongs and all that...

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cogs19, Discodan, human909, Newcastle Dave, redsonic, Tamiya