Moron Motorists #3

fishwop

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby fishwop » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:52 pm

trailgumby wrote:Interested in peoples thoughts on this one. Let's get this one out of the way first, though: yes, it was a poor choice to take this route.

*** NSFW LANGUAGE ALERT ***

It's a multiple laned road. You have every right to ride in the middle of the lane. You are going to get honked a lot but it beats the heck out of landing in hospital. Agree its a horrible road but sometimes you have no choice in the matter.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm

uart wrote:
trailgumby wrote:The reality was he pulled up really close (like 30cm close) and then swerved left into me.

I'd love to see a law introduced where say, if on the balance of probability that it was a punishment pass or a deliberate action where a cyclist or ped was injured, then it would be treated as assault with a deadly weapon. Wishful thinking I know.

As would I. he reality is though that "beyond reasonable doubt" isn't going to disappear from our criminal justice system any time soon.

Perhaps something along the lines of a negligence offence might work, but then you have juries thinking "it could have been me who dun that" and so they won't convict.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:38 pm

fishwop wrote:It's a multiple laned road. You have every right to ride in the middle of the lane. You are going to get honked a lot but it beats the heck out of landing in hospital. Agree its a horrible road but sometimes you have no choice in the matter.

Not sure if you saw my post above, but last time I "owned the lane" along that stretch someone took exception and I did end up in hospital, for four days, courtesy of Mr Magnamail exec in his company car. First prize was my first bit of titanium hardware related to cycling and a need for anger management counselling from the PTSD. Seven screws and some webbing.

There's a balance to be struck. I still haven't figured out where that is yet. It only takes one driver with a broken moral compass and ... well, lets not talk about that,

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm

feral grasshopper wrote:
trailgumby wrote:Interested in peoples thoughts on this one. Let's get this one out of the way first, though: yes, it was a poor choice to take this route.

*** NSFW LANGUAGE ALERT ***

Can’t comment on whether it was a poor choice of route or not but none of he other cars had the slightest difficulty in safely passing you. In my opinion, the actions of the van driver were deliberate and premeditated.

didn't see trailgumby's comment until went back to look for original post - I'd counted 9 vehicles in the 60seconds before the deliberate close pass easily and safely merge right without loss of all important traffic flow - pretty simple (but not) 9 drivers do the right thing 1 chooses to endanger life - use the word chooses because it was a choice on the part of the driver could have easily merged right but chose to intimidate and dangerously so

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 am

antigee wrote:1 chooses to endanger life - use the word chooses because it was a choice on the part of the driver could have easily merged right but chose to intimidate and dangerously so

This is what our law NEEDS to recognise. Many cyclist collisions are far from 'accidents' or 'carelessness'. The result from deliberate and reckless aggression/indifference.

Education is also important because many drivers are just ignorant.* Get rid of the ignorant careless passes and all you have is the deliberate/reckless ones and then throw the book at them!!! That is what we did with drink driving... I didn't realise I was drunk isn't an excuse.

*The average Australian simply does not know how to safely and appropriately pass a cyclist. The one time I was clipped was from a driver that I believed fitted this category. She was genuinely sorry, in more of a state of shock than me and showed real empathy.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:06 am

This is truly an epic collection of moron motorists. From CycleGaz in the UK. He gets hit from behind in at least one of them.

Edit: Note there's a lot of satisfyingly bad language...

adam0bmx0

Postby adam0bmx0 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:21 pm

Good old London town, I used to commute via bike a lot on those roads, don't miss them one bit!

JohnJoyner

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:14 am

InTheWoods wrote:This is truly an epic collection of moron motorists. From CycleGaz in the UK. He gets hit from behind in at least one of them.

Edit: Note there's a lot of satisfyingly bad language...

Wow... I only watched the first 3 minutes. That was enough. And here I was thinking Sydney CBD was bad.

fishwop

Postby fishwop » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:59 pm

trailgumby wrote:Not sure if you saw my post above, but last time I "owned the lane" along that stretch someone took exception and I did end up in hospital, for four days, courtesy of Mr Magnamail exec in his company car. First prize was my first bit of titanium hardware related to cycling and a need for anger management counselling from the PTSD. Seven screws and some webbing.

There's a balance to be struck. I still haven't figured out where that is yet. It only takes one driver with a broken moral compass and ... well, lets not talk about that,

Most cyclists who ride on busy roads would agree that best practice is to control the lane, but obviously there are no guarantees.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Not sure wether to submit this to Beerwah.
Have asked for a please explain from Buslink.
I already have two in the local cops and a strike rate that is pretty lame. (even with measurements)

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:52 pm

Have a hoonline number but yet to hear from Police

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:54 pm

This is the other currently awaiting any action from Police

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:58 pm

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1TNeu0 ... ZrBTAKCtyr
And here are the 'reasons I was given as to why this was not considered an infringable offence

Shadow of vehicle is sufficiently over dotted line indicating the driver has taken adequate precautions (even with road markings showing otherwise)
Does not meet 'sufficiency of evidence'
Does not meet 'public interest test
Does not show 'beyond reasonable doubt'
Driver slowed his speed from 80km/h to 70km/h (see video)
The driver determined he had enough space to pass the rider safely. Which he did
Driver is a form worker which includes calculating dimensions. He would not get the distance wrong.
Driver is well aware of the legislated distance/ Police officer opted for an 'educational' believing it would be more sucessful than an infringement. (he already knows)
Estimations by both are 'conflicting' (even with still shot/video)
Bike rider has the option of using a footpath to avoid being a traffic hazard.
The rider gestured offensively (drive was looking behind after making a 'safe' pass? Why)
Perhaps the bicycle rider could utilize the footpath?
The complainant has submitted 7 complaints (relevence)?
4 on Connection Road (Only 2 on this road at that stage)
Perhaps the bicycle rider could utilize roads with dedicated lanes (green paint)?
Perhaps the bicycle rider could use roads with lower traffic volumes?
Or find alternative form of transport?
In light of the 'facts' and the surrounding 'circumstances' the public interest will not be served in pursuing a prosecution
Officers discretion.

CaffeineAU

Postby CaffeineAU » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:26 pm

Ahh, so it's your fault for existing, got it.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:28 pm

BianchiCam wrote:Driver is a form worker which includes calculating dimensions. He would not get the distance wrong.

AHA! We have found the solution to police inaction on all close overtakes, find a cyclist that is a form worker and can give infallible distance measurements in the moment without any equipment!

There's no reason why that shouldn't work both ways is there?

Ross

Postby Ross » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:46 am

Drunk man taken to hospital after crashing his car into tombstones

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/c ... es/9399256

A man in his 40s has been taken to hospital after crashing his car into a cemetery in Sydney's east early this morning.

Police were called to the cemetery in South Coogee at about 2:30am where they found the man with injuries to his face and abdomen.

His had been travelling down Arden Street in his Mercedes before he lost control at a road about at Malabar Road in South Coogee.

The car then ploughed into a tree and sandstone wall before flying several metres in the air.

The vehicle landed on its roof on top of several tomb stones, causing major damage.

"The driver of that vehicle was trapped for a short time before he was assisted from the vehicle by residents who responded to the collision," Inspector Michael Merrett said.

"The scene behind me speaks for itself.

"The fact that he was able to be conveyed in an ambulance in the first place is fairly telling that he is an exceptionally lucky man."

Police said they believed the man was intoxicated because a breath test suggested he was above the legal alcohol limit.

He was rushed to St Vincent's Hospital, where he remains in a stable condition and has been blood-tested for alcohol.

A neighbour, who did not want to be identified, said she heard a loud bang shortly before officers arrived at the scene.

"This was bound to happen; cars travel way too fast around here and there really needs to be speed bumps or something to slow the traffic," she said.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:41 am

Ross wrote:Drunk man taken to hospital after crashing his car into tombstones

Police recover hundreds of bodies from the scene?

Cyclophiliac

Postby Cyclophiliac » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:26 pm

Ross wrote:"This was bound to happen; cars travel way too fast around here and there really needs to be speed bumps or something to slow the traffic," she said.

But there were speed bumps, very effective ones. The driver came to a dead stop in no time.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:51 pm

BianchiCam wrote:This is the other currently awaiting any action from Police

What's your measurement on the passing distance there?

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:00 pm

Ross wrote:Drunk man taken to hospital after crashing his car into tombstones

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-02-06/c ... es/9399256

Even the dead ain't safe
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:05 pm

hamishm wrote:
BianchiCam wrote:This is the other currently awaiting any action from Police

What's your measurement on the passing distance there?

With left side mirror. Looks around 50cm max.

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:24 pm

180 morons in one day! :roll:
More than 180 people caught speeding in ACT school zones on first day of term

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0unoo.html

Canberra man convicted of his 33rd speeding offence

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/can ... 0vs6i.html

Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:28 pm

A driver has been caught on camera risking the lives of other road users, towing a fully loaded trailer on one wheel.

https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueenslan ... f=mentions

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:53 pm

Ross wrote:A driver has been caught on camera risking the lives of other road users, towing a fully loaded trailer on one wheel.

https://www.facebook.com/9NewsQueenslan ... f=mentions

At least it wasn’t completely engulfed in flames and starting spot fires on the side of the road.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/man-charged-over-fiery-trailer-dash-along-bruce-highway/news-story/36a866cbcb30c285aecf40c7ede7d735
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:22 pm

Ross wrote:180 morons in one day! :roll:
More than 180 people caught speeding in ACT school zones on first day of term

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 0unoo.html

Canberra man convicted of his 33rd speeding offence

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/nsw/can ... 0vs6i.html

see he didn't turn up in court so I guess the 6month suspension doesn't start until he gets caught speeding again I guess - hopefully there will be some attempt to enforce the courts ruling but am doubtful

different state - not a great image but Vic' police press releases don't hang around on their website for "legal reasons" and this cutting is courtesy of The Leader newspaper which is in a funny electronic format but should be credited to them

59 vehicles impounded is not huge if you look at the number of unlicensed, suspended drivers and the number of unregistered vehicles found

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”