Moron Motorists #3

uart
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:10 pm

MichaelB wrote:
biker jk wrote:Would you believe the truck's brakes failed...would you believe a coughing fit made me unconscious...

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/truck-driver-charged-over-double-fatality-smash-near-dubbo-denied-bail-20180302-p4z2jc.html


Truckee in SA tried that excuse too (coughing fit that is) and failed.


Agreed. The law can go pretty hard on truckers like this when they kill the occupants of other motor vehicles. (Yes I deliberately omitted something here, can you guess what).

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18904
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

If one has stuffed up and that stuff up has caused a significant issue then there's the need to make sure that the penalty for that stuff up doesn't affect ones ability to continue to provide income to pay the bills
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

malnar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Melb - Werribee - City

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:36 pm

In a bike lane. About 50m before a roundabout. I know there's a car about 100m back. I indicate right & leave the bike lane to 'claim' the single lane, watching in my mirror as I do it (the bike lane ends right at the entrance to the roundabout, but as I said, I got out 50m before hand). Car undertakes me & gets to the roundabout before me. He fully violated the bike lane in the process.

I have front & back footage (which I haven't viewed yet). This is in Melb. Worth reporting to Vic Pol?

User avatar
Tequestra
Posts: 193
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:12 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Tequestra » Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:48 pm

malnar wrote:Car undertakes me & gets to the roundabout before me.


At a roundabout! That is beyond the limit of acceptable rudeness. I would like to see there be placed signs 30m from every neighbourhood roundabout that say, "NO OVERTAKING - (Including Bicycles!)". The race is over, and everyone is meant to be on the brakes, get through the roundabout intersection safely, and then think about the overtaking again. I suppose on the sign there'll need to be a (NO UNDERTAKING EITHER!) clause in your area.
Good luck Mainar.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

BJL
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:45 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BJL » Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:56 pm

mikesbytes wrote:If one has stuffed up and that stuff up has caused a significant issue then there's the need to make sure that the penalty for that stuff up doesn't affect ones ability to continue to provide income to pay the bills


What????? I hope that's sarcasm :?

If people want to remain free so they can earn an income to pay the bills, then they should be more careful and not commit crimes.

User avatar
London Boy
Posts: 742
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:43 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby London Boy » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

malnar wrote:In a bike lane. About 50m before a roundabout. I know there's a car about 100m back. I indicate right & leave the bike lane to 'claim' the single lane, watching in my mirror as I do it (the bike lane ends right at the entrance to the roundabout, but as I said, I got out 50m before hand). Car undertakes me & gets to the roundabout before me. He fully violated the bike lane in the process.

I have front & back footage (which I haven't viewed yet). This is in Melb. Worth reporting to Vic Pol?

Yes.

Scott_C
Posts: 693
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:49 am
Location: Perth, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott_C » Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:21 pm

malnar wrote:In a bike lane. About 50m before a roundabout. I know there's a car about 100m back. I indicate right & leave the bike lane to 'claim' the single lane, watching in my mirror as I do it (the bike lane ends right at the entrance to the roundabout, but as I said, I got out 50m before hand). Car undertakes me & gets to the roundabout before me. He fully violated the bike lane in the process.

I have front & back footage (which I haven't viewed yet). This is in Melb. Worth reporting to Vic Pol?

Regardless of weather or not they crossed into the bike lane the undertake is illegal under Rule 141 with a $750 fine. This should be a slam dunk for the cops if you have good footage of the car and driver so I would suggest reporting it.

uart
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:02 pm

Scott_C wrote:
malnar wrote:In a bike lane. About 50m before a roundabout. I know there's a car about 100m back. I indicate right & leave the bike lane to 'claim' the single lane, watching in my mirror as I do it (the bike lane ends right at the entrance to the roundabout, but as I said, I got out 50m before hand). Car undertakes me & gets to the roundabout before me. He fully violated the bike lane in the process.

I have front & back footage (which I haven't viewed yet). This is in Melb. Worth reporting to Vic Pol?

Regardless of weather or not they crossed into the bike lane the undertake is illegal under Rule 141 with a $750 fine. This should be a slam dunk for the cops if you have good footage of the car and driver so I would suggest reporting it.


If you were around the centre of a single lane, then it might have been a close pass as well. How far to the left of you did the car come?

User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 28997
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:12 pm

uart wrote:If you were around the centre of a single lane, then it might have been a close pass as well. How far to the left of you did the car come?


Not applicable in Vic, our affable premier appears to be to much in thrall to the smokebox lobby.

From what I've seen of interstate laws MPDLs seem to apply only to overtakes :shock:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

malnar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Melb - Werribee - City

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:23 pm

The footage should be very clear. Sunny day. Fly6 at back, HD at front. I'll take a look. I can imagine the cops saying you provoked this by leaving the bike lane.

User avatar
murbul
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby murbul » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:24 pm

Mulger bill wrote:From what I've seen of interstate laws MPDLs seem to apply only to overtakes :shock:


Yep this is true unfortunately. At least in Qld the rule defines the distance as from the leftmost part of the vehicle to the rightmost part of the bike/rider. This covers most dangerous passes but it leave a few gaps.

malnar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Melb - Werribee - City

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:45 pm

Unbelievable. The footage is very clear. P plater. Big Ford. Fairmont I think. No plates. Front & Back, no plates. Unbelievable. Maybe local cops might know of this idiot driving around. Can't see the driver at all.

malnar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Melb - Werribee - City

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Or is that a Statesman?

Image

uart
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:13 pm

malnar wrote:Unbelievable. The footage is very clear. P plater. Big Ford. Fairmont I think. No plates. Front & Back, no plates. Unbelievable. Maybe local cops might know of this idiot driving around. Can't see the driver at all.


Are you saying that this guy IS displaying his P plates, but NOT displaying any number plates. :shock:

User avatar
bychosis
Posts: 5555
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:19 pm

malnar wrote:Or is that a Statesman?

Image

Can’t see piccie. But based on description, definitely visit the local coppers with a copy.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

malnar
Posts: 341
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Melb - Werribee - City

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby malnar » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:23 pm

I uploaded the still from Google+. Must be a privacy setting. I'll see if I can change it.

Yes P plate(s) but no rego plates.

User avatar
murbul
Posts: 19
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:42 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby murbul » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:36 pm

Your image is WebP which is only supported in Chrome.

Here it is as a jpeg

Image

Looks like a WH Statesman to me

User avatar
Thoglette
Posts: 3922
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:01 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Thoglette » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:11 pm

Mulger bill wrote:From what I've seen of interstate laws MPDLs seem to apply only to overtakes :shock:

Only bicycles are allowed to undertake within a lane. All others may only do so in a separate marked lane.

Unless you are indicating to turn right. In which case all bets are off.

In this case MM has failed to stay within the marked lane (ding!); which is a bicycle lane (ding!); failed to indicate when leaving the lane (ding!) and has no number plates (ding! ding! DING!)

Mr Plod should be particularly interested.

Who wants to run a book on whether the driver is already "known to police"?
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 18904
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:54 am

BJL wrote:
mikesbytes wrote:If one has stuffed up and that stuff up has caused a significant issue then there's the need to make sure that the penalty for that stuff up doesn't affect ones ability to continue to provide income to pay the bills


What????? I hope that's sarcasm :?

If people want to remain free so they can earn an income to pay the bills, then they should be more careful and not commit crimes.


I'm stating the reason for avoiding license suspension by fabricating excuses like coughing fits. When I hear stories like coughing fits the BS detector goes off and its an indication that the motorists should have their license suspended for safety reasons, 2 years comes to mind to prove it won't happen again
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Scott No Mates
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: North Shore - Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Mar 05, 2018 3:17 pm

What to you class mobility scooters on the Hume Freeway in Albury? Our boys in blue pulled one over yesterday and it looked like he was getting a severe talking to.
I really should take up cycling!

cycosis
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:50 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cycosis » Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:22 am

This morning I was riding in the bicycle lane on Gardiner Rd in Notting Hill and a bus pulls up next to me getting closer and closer and then right on top of me and stops, I had to go out into traffic to get around it while the bus took on passengers.

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:38 am

cycosis wrote:This morning I was riding in the bicycle lane on Gardiner Rd in Notting Hill and a bus pulls up next to me getting closer and closer and then right on top of me and stops, I had to go out into traffic to get around it while the bus took on passengers.


That sounds like a terrible street plan. How can it be a bicycle lane if there's a bus stop in it?

human909
Posts: 8727
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:45 am

AdelaidePeter wrote:That sounds like a terrible street plan. How can it be a bicycle lane if there's a bus stop in it?


The same way that regular traffic lanes can be a traffic lane with a bus stop in it. :idea:

I don't see anything at all wrong with this design and it is quite common here and across the world. Of course it is likely that the ideal situation would be a separated and protected bike path, but then it isn't a bike lane.

(Though maybe your concept of a bus stop is different. ie; An indented recess in the normal trafficable road. Where as alternatives are simply places at the left most edge of the road that a fully within trafficable lanes.)


What cycosis described seems entirely a circumstance of bad driving and nothing to do with the infrastructure.

AdelaidePeter
Posts: 287
Joined: Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:13 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby AdelaidePeter » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:06 pm

human909 wrote:
AdelaidePeter wrote:That sounds like a terrible street plan. How can it be a bicycle lane if there's a bus stop in it?


The same way that regular traffic lanes can be a traffic lane with a bus stop in it. :idea:

I don't see anything at all wrong with this design and it is quite common here and across the world. Of course it is likely that the ideal situation would be a separated and protected bike path, but then it isn't a bike lane.

(Though maybe your concept of a bus stop is different. ie; An indented recess in the normal trafficable road. Where as alternatives are simply places at the left most edge of the road that a fully within trafficable lanes.)

What cycosis described seems entirely a circumstance of bad driving and nothing to do with the infrastructure.


OK, doing my best Fonzie impersonation, I was wrooooo... I was going on the understanding that no one may stop in a bicycle lane, or even use a bicycle lane except when turning left. Upon checking ARR 153 it turns out I was wrooooo... buses (and even taxis) may stop in a bicycle lane. Though I still think it's often poor planning to put the bicycle lane along a road with (non-indented) bus stops.

I was never trying to excuse the bus driver's driving. I was just making an additional comment about the infrastructure.

human909
Posts: 8727
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 1:19 pm

AdelaidePeter wrote:Though I still think it's often poor planning to put the bicycle lane along a road with (non-indented) bus stops.

Yet this happens all the time with regular roads. Traffic has to deal with buses stopping, I'm not sure why cyclists should be an exception.

For an existing road with a bus route, how else are you suggesting bike lanes should be put in? (Sure an ideal solution would be total separation but realistically that is not achievable in Australia at the moment.)

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cyclophiliac, MattyK