Moron Motorists #3

il padrone

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:12 pm

elantra wrote:I would also advise get a mirror - it does not improve their driving but you get fewer shocks.
Plus if you are able to observe the situation developing you can put a cork in their bottle. The actions of that driver became apparent as they came closer with no attempt to change lanes, and drivers alongside. At about 1:56 you could have gently veered further right and they would have been forced to slow up and wait for a gap before changing lanes.

The driver is simply ignorant - probably some ditsy young filly running late to meet her gals for coffee :roll: When I did a long tour with a friend from Melbourne to Adelaide along the coast, we found the worst drivers who often did this sort of overtake (when there was no reason, no oncoming traffic) were people in similar small white compacts. I reckon they were either too young and ignorant, or city drivers out in the country, unaware of responsible overtaking procedures and too scared to go across the centre line.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

GraemeL

Postby GraemeL » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:28 pm

il padrone wrote: I reckon they were either too young and ignorant, or city drivers out in the country, unaware of responsible overtaking procedures and too scared to go across the centre line.
I think they are just bone friggin lazy, they are A holes and nothing more. They do not grasp the fact they their actions may well kill someone one day and what's worse, if they do, they will more than likely get off.

I think it is the lack of police presence on the roads, years ago you couldn't sneeze without a cop catching you. Today people just do what ever the hell they feel like and go along their merry way, because they know that there is a 99% chance they will get away with it.

Graeme
***Looking For Information About Bicycle Cameras ***

* Bicycle Camera FAQ's *** Mounting FAQ’s & DIY Mounts *

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Nov 24, 2012 7:17 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Unfortunately I have another one. Closest I've had.

That's the closest i've ever seen, absolutely outrageous, they should AT LEAST have their licence suspended for that, and have to jump through a whole lot of hoops if they ever want it back. (wishful thinking i know).
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

jules21

Postby jules21 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:57 am

A WOMAN crashed her bicycle and broke her collarbone after a man slapped her on the backside as she rode past.

Police have called on the public for help in identifying the man, who also slapped the woman’s friend as they rode south along Horseshoe Bend Rd in Torquay about 8.50am yesterday.

It is alleged a man travelling in a dark coloured 4WD leaned out of the front passenger window and slapped the women on the backside.

The 52-year-old Geelong woman lost control of her bike and sustained serious injuries, including a broken collarbone.

She was taken to Geelong Hospital.

The man is described as a teenager with brown, shoulder length hair and was wearing a dark-coloured top.

The car is described as a 4WD, possibly a Mercedes, with a registration number similar to TBU 683.

It was last seen turning into the Quay Estate towards Fischer St.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident or the vehicle to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit http://www.crimestoppers.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------------------

hopefully he gets to experience what it's like to have his backside violated soon enough :evil:

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:42 pm

jules21 wrote:A WOMAN crashed her bicycle and broke her collarbone after a man slapped her on the backside as she rode past.

Police have called on the public for help in identifying the man, who also slapped the woman’s friend as they rode south along Horseshoe Bend Rd in Torquay about 8.50am yesterday.

It is alleged a man travelling in a dark coloured 4WD leaned out of the front passenger window and slapped the women on the backside.

The 52-year-old Geelong woman lost control of her bike and sustained serious injuries, including a broken collarbone.

She was taken to Geelong Hospital.

The man is described as a teenager with brown, shoulder length hair and was wearing a dark-coloured top.

The car is described as a 4WD, possibly a Mercedes, with a registration number similar to TBU 683.

It was last seen turning into the Quay Estate towards Fischer St.

Police are appealing for anyone who may have witnessed the incident or the vehicle to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or visit http://www.crimestoppers.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
------------------

hopefully he gets to experience what it's like to have his backside violated soon enough :evil:
And that Bubba has eaten all his margarine ration for the week...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:25 pm

I'm beginning to think that bicycle cameras should be mandatory!

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

Few things that have happened recently.

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 am

That falcon was bloody close too!

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 am

Purt wrote:Few things that have happened recently.
that holden combo would have been scary (as you could see it coming)
that falcon was just stupid. both deserve a report

I know that downhill run of coot-tha too well. Yes that driver was also a moron. :D

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 am

jasonc wrote:that holden combo would have been scary
+1. Although I think it was a mistake rather than deliberate I think. Whereas the close pass was deliberate. I hate the deliberate ones a lot more than the SMIDSYs and so far I've only reported deliberate stuff from my vids. Still, that was pretty close to a disaster that one.
I know that downhill run of coot-tha too well. Yes that driver was also a moron. :D
Hmm. Isn't the speed limit there 50kmh? Maybe its the wide angle lens but that looked faster and it looked like the rider was pedalling which means well over 60... Its hard to tell but it looked a bit like the car was entering the road at the same point the rider became visible around the corner, but like I said its hard to tell from the vid.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:56 am

InTheWoods wrote:
jasonc wrote:that holden combo would have been scary
+1. Although I think it was a mistake rather than deliberate I think. Whereas the close pass was deliberate. I hate the deliberate ones a lot more than the SMIDSYs and so far I've only reported deliberate stuff from my vids. Still, that was pretty close to a disaster that one.
Hmm. Isn't the speed limit there 50kmh? Maybe its the wide angle lens but that looked faster and it looked like the rider was pedalling which means well over 60... Its hard to tell but it looked a bit like the car was entering the road at the same point the rider became visible around the corner, but like I said its hard to tell from the vid.
I take back the coot-tha driver. driver did not see you coming as when you came around the corner you were obscured by the black car (as the car was to you). rare situation, but it can happen.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:11 am

lump_a_charcoal wrote:That falcon was bloody close too!
i'd report the falcon. it's not just the closeness, it's the speed. completely unnecessary and very dangerous - clearly an offense (despite what lazy officers may try to brush you off with).

zero

Postby zero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:21 am

jasonc wrote: I take back the coot-tha driver. driver did not see you coming as when you came around the corner you were obscured by the black car (as the car was to you). rare situation, but it can happen.
Obscured vision is the worst excuse when pulling out (ie that is moronic). Though the driver has to look both ways, and imo look the other way last when taking off, so they'll have a second of blind to the riders direction - ie you have to expect people to pull out on you at this distance anyway.

Had the rider immediately braked, they'd have a lot more control over the situation. Those drivers can panic and stop blocking the entire road sometimes.

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:58 am

InTheWoods wrote: +1. Although I think it was a mistake rather than deliberate I think.
Yeah he just completely missed me. Not only was I hidden by the car in front but on that road cars usually just stick to the right lane because of parked cars http://goo.gl/maps/Hh6lJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. So really I should have been more towards the centre.
InTheWoods wrote: Hmm. Isn't the speed limit there 50kmh? Maybe its the wide angle lens but that looked faster and it looked like the rider was pedalling which means well over 60... Its hard to tell but it looked a bit like the car was entering the road at the same point the rider became visible around the corner, but like I said its hard to tell from the vid.
The wide angle lens does make it look a little faster, but we were both in the wrong. Yeah he didn't try to get out in front of me, just bad timing. He shouldn't have even considered going across the double lines there anyhow.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:09 pm

zero wrote:
jasonc wrote: I take back the coot-tha driver. driver did not see you coming as when you came around the corner you were obscured by the black car (as the car was to you). rare situation, but it can happen.
Obscured vision is the worst excuse when pulling out (ie that is moronic). Though the driver has to look both ways, and imo look the other way last when taking off, so they'll have a second of blind to the riders direction - ie you have to expect people to pull out on you at this distance anyway.

Had the rider immediately braked, they'd have a lot more control over the situation. Those drivers can panic and stop blocking the entire road sometimes.
it's worth noting that I'm not having a go at the rider here. When going into that sweeping right hander I start on the left side of the road. In the same situation, it may have provided me half an extra second of vision of the driver.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:53 pm

Purt wrote:He shouldn't have even considered going across the double lines there anyhow.
Oh yeh I forgot about that bit! It would be tempting in that situation but you're right its not allowed...

zero

Postby zero » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:18 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Purt wrote:He shouldn't have even considered going across the double lines there anyhow.
Oh yeh I forgot about that bit! It would be tempting in that situation but you're right its not allowed...
In NSW that move has been made legal as of start of this month. (ie allowed to go to/from road related area by crossing double lines if thats the shortest possible route). Presume its still illegal where the footage was shot though.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:31 pm

zero wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
In NSW that move has been made legal as of start of this month. (ie allowed to go to/from road related area by crossing double lines if thats the shortest possible route). Presume its still illegal where the footage was shot though.
In Victoria crossing double lines is legal when entering or leaving the road, including turning into or from side streets. Don't know about NSW and Qld, but I'd assume it is something similar as it's the National Road Rules model.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Purt

Postby Purt » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:00 pm

I was curious so I went looking.
Where there is a double continuous centre line, you are not permitted to cross it at all.
http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Queens ... Lines.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Exceptions to keeping to the left of a dividing line

(3) If the dividing line is not 2 parallel continuous dividing lines, the driver may drive to the right of the dividing line—
(a) to enter or leave the road; or
(b) to enter a part of the road of 1 kind from a part of the road of another kind

anonymousmoose

Postby anonymousmoose » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:23 am

Its starting to sink in just how dangerous it is for us cyclists.

I hardly do go on the road and stick to bike paths, but I have been near-hit a few times. Just the other say I indicated to go left, there is no list the 4x4 could have missed seeing me, so he also turns left but AT THE SAME TIME overtaking and pushing me to the curb. I yelled but he just shook his head and gave the gesture that he was not in the wrong.

I think most of it is the drivers ACTUALLY BELIEVE they are in the right and that we dont belong on the road. Crazy!

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 am

anonymousmoose wrote:Its starting to sink in just how dangerous it is for us cyclists.

I hardly do go on the road and stick to bike paths, but I have been near-hit a few times. Just the other say I indicated to go left, there is no list the 4x4 could have missed seeing me, so he also turns left but AT THE SAME TIME overtaking and pushing me to the curb. I yelled but he just shook his head and gave the gesture that he was not in the wrong.

I think most of it is the drivers ACTUALLY BELIEVE they are in the right and that we dont belong on the road. Crazy!
I've been riding for a couple of decades. I rarely go on paths and ride mostly on the road. I haven't ever had a collision with another vehicle or a what I would consider a near miss. I dozen or so times I have had direct aggression towards me but beyond that riding on the roads has been incident free.

Don't get me wrong, driver attitude here towards cyclists is appalling. This makes cycling on roads more dangerous than it needs to be. But lets keep things in perspective please. Cycling is not dangerous, it has similar risks to driving.

Riding assertively and claiming your lane helps. In many incidents that I see posted in this thread the cyclist is too far left. Ride in the middle of your lane!

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:11 am

anonymousmoose wrote:Its starting to sink in just how dangerous it is for us cyclists.

I've been riding for a couple of decades. I rarely go on paths and ride mostly on the road. I haven't ever had a collision with another vehicle or a what I would consider a near miss. I dozen or so times I have had direct aggression towards me but beyond that riding on the roads has been incident free.

Don't get me wrong, driver attitude here towards cyclists is appalling. This makes cycling on roads more dangerous than it needs to be. But lets keep things in perspective please. Cycling is not dangerous, it has similar risks to driving.

Riding assertively and claiming your lane helps. In many incidents that I see posted in this thread the cyclist is too far left. Ride in the middle of your lane!

Biffidus

Postby Biffidus » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:23 am

human909 wrote:Don't get me wrong, driver attitude here towards cyclists is appalling. This makes cycling on roads more dangerous than it needs to be. But lets keep things in perspective please. Cycling is not dangerous, it has similar risks to driving.
The hazards might be similar but the consequences (and hence the risks) are very different.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:35 am

Biffidus wrote:
human909 wrote:Don't get me wrong, driver attitude here towards cyclists is appalling. This makes cycling on roads more dangerous than it needs to be. But lets keep things in perspective please. Cycling is not dangerous, it has similar risks to driving.
The hazards might be similar but the consequences (and hence the risks) are very different.
Statistics don't suggest that cycling is much more dangerous than driving, some measures suggest less. (Going by deaths per time, NOT the erroneous deaths per km) They are within an order of magnitude of each other, which given the extreme variation in riskiness of activities I would describe that as similar level of risk.

Most team sports have far greater levels of injuries, drownings result in far more deaths, there are more home maintenance accidents. Yet none of these activities are labelled as dangerous.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:46 pm

human909 wrote:Most team sports have far greater levels of injuries, drownings result in far more deaths, there are more home maintenance accidents. Yet none of these activities are labelled as dangerous.
+ 1

Andrew