Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat May 18, 2013 1:54 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:Point taken InTheWoods, I could have been a little less blunt, you're right that riding big wouldn't have absolutely guaranteed a different outcome, but riding in the gutter definitely wouldn't have helped.


Yes. These days, especially after the Richard Pollet jury decision, the lane is "mine" if I'm not willing to share it. If its wide enough to share, I will. But otherwise, why ride in the gutter if I don't want to share it. Saw heaps out this morning (I was in the car) riding in the gutter, with people close shaving them. On a multi-lane road, which allows parking in the left lane outside peak hours. So if you're allowed to park a car in it, why do people get upset about riding a bike in it. At least the bike is moving.


Even if you do go big the second that you adjust your line by a mere couple centimeters to avoid something ie a pothole/damaged road/rocks etc some butthole thinks they can then force you into the gutter. Like today I adjusted my line ever so slightly to avoid a pothole at an intersection and some guy in his older Nissan Patrol thinks the lane is now his even through he is taking the same turn as i did 30m or so after that intersection and that's despite me still being in the left hand wheel track of the road. I was doing 35kph so its not like I was going slow. You can even see the lane markings relative to me (camera mounted more towards the middle/left side of the stem a via k-edge mount due to other gear I had on the right side of the bars)

Image

For all his troubles I ended up dropping him by about 150m after the turn :twisted:
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2304
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 am

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mattwilkinson » Sun May 19, 2013 11:48 am

Couple of videos from Shockmansion, Apologies if they've already been posted.



Image
User avatar
mattwilkinson
 
Posts: 297
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2012 3:32 pm
Location: Bendigo, Victoria

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chill1995 » Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Couple of videos from Shockmansion, Apologies if they've already been posted.







Oh man LOL. I can die a happy man after seeing those videos.
chill1995
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Sun May 19, 2013 1:40 pm

That first one was psycho.
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby arkle » Sun May 19, 2013 1:51 pm

InTheWoods wrote:That first one was psycho.


People make mistakes. We all do it. Just because you have a video camera strapped to your head you're not obliged to initiate a curse-filled confrontation with every person who makes a simple, non-dangerous error. It would have taken three seconds to go up the ramp onto the pavement and down again.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Sun May 19, 2013 2:36 pm

arkle wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:That first one was psycho.


People make mistakes. We all do it. Just because you have a video camera strapped to your head you're not obliged to initiate a curse-filled confrontation with every person who makes a simple, non-dangerous error. It would have taken three seconds to go up the ramp onto the pavement and down again.

arkle


Sure. But screaming "I'm a woman on my own please help me" and "I'm being threatened OMGosh I'm being threatened" ? This is after he told her she was holding up traffic and to drive on down the road and she wanted to carry on with the argument that he shouldn't be in the middle of the road (on the left side, while she was on the wrong side of the road)...
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1458
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Marto » Sun May 19, 2013 2:56 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:


Some arguments aren't worth continuing.
Or starting?
Last edited by Marto on Sun May 19, 2013 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1331
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jindydiver » Sun May 19, 2013 5:47 pm

mattwilkinson wrote:Couple of videos from Shockmansion, Apologies if they've already been posted.





I would have gone off too. One of my pet peeves, when the oncoming traffic has to avoid cars parked in their lane and it somehow gives them the right to just force you off the road. Typical of some peoples belief that they have some entitlement that doesn't apply to you. See it all too often in front of schools, it is a wonder we don't see many more children run over.
jindydiver
 
Posts: 81
Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:16 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 pm

Yup
Percrime
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Sun May 19, 2013 6:38 pm

Yup
Percrime
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby herzog » Sun May 19, 2013 6:59 pm

arkle wrote:People make mistakes. We all do it. Just because you have a video camera strapped to your head you're not obliged to initiate a curse-filled confrontation with every person who makes a simple, non-dangerous error. It would have taken three seconds to go up the ramp onto the pavement and down again.



I actually agree with this.

The rider really escalated a fairly innocuous situation to the point where the woman had what looked like an anxiety attack.

Pretty ordinary stuff in my view.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Red Rider » Sun May 19, 2013 7:35 pm

I thought the dude was being reasonable, he gestured to the woman to get on the correct side of the road, she even had the tenacity to say he was in the middle of the road.

I'd she had seen the error of her ways and moved over to let him past on the road and raised her hand to say sorry then that would have shown respect to the cyclist. As it stands, she deserved a good talking to.
Image
User avatar
Red Rider
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:44 pm
Location: Dianella, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby arkle » Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Red Rider wrote:I thought the dude was being reasonable, he gestured to the woman to get on the correct side of the road, she even had the tenacity to say he was in the middle of the road.

I'd she had seen the error of her ways and moved over to let him past on the road and raised her hand to say sorry then that would have shown respect to the cyclist. As it stands, she deserved a good talking to.


He used the F word six times in his first six sentences. I wouldn't be moving for him.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby herzog » Sun May 19, 2013 7:59 pm

arkle wrote:He used the F word six times in his first six sentences. I wouldn't be moving for him.

arkle


Yep totally disproportionate outrage.
User avatar
herzog
 
Posts: 1721
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Red Rider » Sun May 19, 2013 8:21 pm

arkle wrote:
Red Rider wrote:I thought the dude was being reasonable, he gestured to the woman to get on the correct side of the road, she even had the tenacity to say he was in the middle of the road.

I'd she had seen the error of her ways and moved over to let him past on the road and raised her hand to say sorry then that would have shown respect to the cyclist. As it stands, she deserved a good talking to.


He used the F word six times in his first six sentences. I wouldn't be moving for him.

arkle

She likely couldn't even hear those first six sentences. He only used the f word to her face once after she wouldn't drive away and started losing the plot.
Image
User avatar
Red Rider
 
Posts: 695
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:44 pm
Location: Dianella, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby arkle » Sun May 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Red Rider wrote:
arkle wrote:
Red Rider wrote:I thought the dude was being reasonable, he gestured to the woman to get on the correct side of the road, she even had the tenacity to say he was in the middle of the road.

I'd she had seen the error of her ways and moved over to let him past on the road and raised her hand to say sorry then that would have shown respect to the cyclist. As it stands, she deserved a good talking to.


He used the F word six times in his first six sentences. I wouldn't be moving for him.

arkle

She likely couldn't even hear those first six sentences. He only used the f word to her face once after she wouldn't drive away and started losing the plot.


It's not the hardest word to lip read, especially with appropriate facial expressions and gesticulating. All he did was delay his journey for a few minutes. His rant will have no effect on whether the lady driver makes another simple, non-dangerous mistake again in the future, but it will certainly have given her a poor view of cyclists, and she will have told everyone about it and they will have a poor view of us too.

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Sun May 19, 2013 9:46 pm

I think that that woman needed to be told what a effin appalling driver she was enough times to have recognised at a minimum that her driving was actually appalling.
Today I was behind a bloke with my hand on the horn for an entire light cycle.. him and I and one car behind getting through at the very end. If the goose in front had missed the entire cycle I can tell you I would have been less than polite and right in the face of the sleepy imbecile in front.

Its everyone being oh so polite to that fool woman and making way to her every time she has insisted on her right to the entire road for the last 10 years or however long she has been driving for that has lead to her feeling that whatever she does is right. It must be after all, if no one ever has a go at her.

THe bike riders behavior seemed to meet with the total approval of the driver behind her.
Percrime
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 19, 2013 10:03 pm

99 times out of 100 I would just go on the footpath and shake my head/gesture at the idiot driver, but eventually you have to say "enough is enough".

Of course the other way of looking at it is, why on earth are cars allowed to park there and create this situation in the first place?!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6717
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Sun May 19, 2013 10:20 pm

Oh yeah I agree. you cant push every confrontation. But you cant walk away from them all either. If you do then as Barry Sheene once famously said "It must be hard to walk without a spine".
Percrime
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby arkle » Sun May 19, 2013 10:31 pm

Very narrow street, not even wide enough to have a centre line. Cars parked in bays filling half the road. I can see how she'd made an easy error of judgement and pull out too far. She was out even before the cyclist started getting close to her. It's just a mistake, not appalling driving. Don't you ever make mistakes?

arkle
arkle
 
Posts: 673
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:46 pm
Location: Bridgewater, SA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm

I see no reason why the cyclist should be forced on to the footpath when the woman in the large 4WD was on the wrong side of the road. That is, unless you hold the view that cyclists are second class citizens on the road and should make way for motorised vehicles wherever the idiots who drive them end up. She deserved everything she got and should learn to drive. How much would you be willing to bet she would not have been driving on the wrong side of the road if that guy was in a car rather than on a bike?

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1336
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Sun May 19, 2013 11:42 pm

arkle wrote:Very narrow street, not even wide enough to have a centre line. Cars parked in bays filling half the road. I can see how she'd made an easy error of judgement and pull out too far. She was out even before the cyclist started getting close to her. It's just a mistake, not appalling driving. Don't you ever make mistakes?

arkle


Pulling out wasn't the problem. The problem was not pulling into the curb when she could. The rider had nowhere sensible to go.
human909
 
Posts: 4900
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby VRE » Mon May 20, 2013 6:58 am

human909 wrote:
arkle wrote:Very narrow street, not even wide enough to have a centre line. Cars parked in bays filling half the road. I can see how she'd made an easy error of judgement and pull out too far. She was out even before the cyclist started getting close to her. It's just a mistake, not appalling driving. Don't you ever make mistakes?

arkle


Pulling out wasn't the problem. The problem was not pulling into the curb when she could. The rider had nowhere sensible to go.

Agreed. When motorists see cyclists doing the same manoeuvre, they're quick enough to criticise. Well, it works both ways. So the cyclist was correct to have a go at her (perhaps with only a bit of swearing :wink: ). This incident is another perfect example of motorists expecting cyclists to give way when the motorist should be giving way, and as ldrcycles said, eventually you have to stand up for yourself and not put up with it.
User avatar
VRE
 
Posts: 582
Joined: Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am
Location: Ringwood North, VIC, Australia

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby KonaCommuter » Mon May 20, 2013 8:30 am

Maybe the cyclist is sick of being expected to sit at the back of the bus?



Now I've just about finished smoko at a busy intersection in an industrial estate. I've counted 8 motorists on mobile phones, 4 semi trailers & 7 cars run red lights. These were all clear cut and not open to question. My question is should I go to Today Tonight or A Current Affair? LOL



Another semi added to the tally whilst waiting for my phone to upload that comment
2012 Oppy A4
User avatar
KonaCommuter
 
Posts: 978
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:28 pm
Location: Brisbane Northside

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Mon May 20, 2013 9:15 am

Can't see the first video, it comes up as private?
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 2885
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dipp3rman, Dragster1



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit