Moron Motorists #3

Philistine
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Philistine » Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:24 am


This close pass from Monday. Should I make a formal complaint? It was well within a metre, although not the worst I have experienced. What got me particularly fired up was the fact that the driver had an empty lane on his outside (I am assuming it was a "he"), and actually moved into it about 30 metres farther on. This stretch of road is one lane in either direction, and only divides and doubles up for a couple of hundred metres around the intersection,

MisuVir
Posts: 167
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: Adelaide

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby MisuVir » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:47 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:Gee... thanks for the great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way... see my avatar? ... that's a result of another idiot driver who didn't give way to me and thought that they could just barge through an intersection... but if I'm ever in hospital again, I'll be sure to remember what you said.


I'm detecting some sarcasm. :|

Obviously you were the one there so best able to determine how they were reacting. And in the end, it really doesn't matter what they were actually doing, it's how you interpret what they're doing that matters to you.

Can't really interpret the tiny avatar image, but I assume it's your namesake dodgy knee?

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:38 am

Dodgy-Knee wrote:
MisuVir wrote:About the laughing, it could just be a panic / nervous reaction. We all do unexpected things sometimes. For example, I laugh when I'm in intense pain. It made my wife uncomfortable when I had to go to emergency once and I spent half the waiting time laughing.

You might notice I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not always warranted, but it's easier than being angry at everyone.


Gee... thanks for the great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way... see my avatar? ... that's a result of another idiot driver who didn't give way to me and thought that they could just barge through an intersection... but if I'm ever in hospital again, I'll be sure to remember what you said.


Personally I think your response was uncalled for and emphasizes MisuVir's point. Anger is rarely the best response. MisuVir wasn't excusing the driver for their poor road behavior. Just trying give a possible explanation of behavior beyond malice.

User avatar
Dodgy-Knee
Posts: 65
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:45 pm
Location: Western Australia

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am

human909 wrote:
Dodgy-Knee wrote:
MisuVir wrote:About the laughing, it could just be a panic / nervous reaction. We all do unexpected things sometimes. For example, I laugh when I'm in intense pain. It made my wife uncomfortable when I had to go to emergency once and I spent half the waiting time laughing.

You might notice I like giving people the benefit of the doubt. Not always warranted, but it's easier than being angry at everyone.


Gee... thanks for the great advice. I'll keep that in mind.

By the way... see my avatar? ... that's a result of another idiot driver who didn't give way to me and thought that they could just barge through an intersection... but if I'm ever in hospital again, I'll be sure to remember what you said.


Personally I think your response was uncalled for and emphasizes MisuVir's point. Anger is rarely the best response. MisuVir wasn't excusing the driver for their poor road behavior. Just trying give a possible explanation of behavior beyond malice.


I'll make sure to go to bed tonight without my supper.

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19287
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:28 am

pj wrote:Bloody trucks, I hate the way they sometimes start wide then cut back in too early. His cab end might have given me 1m but the back end sure didn't.

Hard to see from the video but I had to move into the gutter and cycle over a grate to try and maintain some distance from the back corner of the truck.

He made some weird hand gesture at me when I told him he was too close :lol:



Did you capture the hand gesture on camera? (can't view videos at the moment). If so perhaps send a copy to employer suggesting at politeness will portray a better image for the company
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:30 am

I'll make sure to go to bed tonight without my supper.

I wish I was one of these well-balanced individuals who in the heat of the moment when almost wiped out by an idiot can stay calm and relaxed and at one with the universe. I, on the other hand, react badly. My vegan mate reckons it's because I eat too much red meat. Personally I think it is a natural response to a life-threatening experience, the adrenaline has to go somewhere. I suspect those who stay calm are doing themselves internal harm by not releasing it!
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

User avatar
biker jk
Posts: 6237
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:02 pm

silentC wrote:
I'll make sure to go to bed tonight without my supper.

I wish I was one of these well-balanced individuals who in the heat of the moment when almost wiped out by an idiot can stay calm and relaxed and at one with the universe. I, on the other hand, react badly. My vegan mate reckons it's because I eat too much red meat. Personally I think it is a natural response to a life-threatening experience, the adrenaline has to go somewhere. I suspect those who stay calm are doing themselves internal harm by not releasing it!


Agreed. I wish there was video of human909's reaction when he was hit by a car in Sydney. :D

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:05 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:I'll make sure to go to bed tonight without my supper.

I'll pay that. :)

silentC wrote:I wish I was one of these well-balanced individuals who in the heat of the moment when almost wiped out by an idiot can stay calm and relaxed and at one with the universe. I, on the other hand, react badly. My vegan mate reckons it's because I eat too much red meat. Personally I think it is a natural response to a life-threatening experience, the adrenaline has to go somewhere. I suspect those who stay calm are doing themselves internal harm by not releasing it!

Some aspects of that sound like a justification for road rage.

And I hope you are kidding about "I suspect those who stay calm are doing themselves internal harm by not releasing it!". Remaining calm and acting in a rational, measure and safe way is critical in many activities and workplaces.

biker jk wrote:Agreed. I wish there was video of human909's reaction when he was hit by a car in Sydney. :D

You of my calm and measured response? Because that is exactly what it was.

As I've said before, I was ready to turn on anger to get my fricken point across. But my assessment of HER reaction I quickly reaslised that turning on the anger would not have been effective. No voices were raised. No anger expressed. Just people handle a situation in a calm manner. We exchanged details. The strongest words that I said to her was something to the effect of "in the future make sure you give cyclists room when passing". She was probably in more shock than I was. I continued on to my destination with some bruising and blood...
Last edited by human909 on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:07 pm

Nope just poking fun at people who like to criticise other people's responses from their armchairs :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:12 pm

silentC wrote:Nope just poking fun at people who like to criticise other people's responses from their armchairs :)

Hey. There is no arms on this chair! :)

But in all seriousness I do believe that anger is usually counterproductive for all involved. There is a reason why road rage is an issue and it isn't because people are calm on the roads. :wink:

User avatar
silentC
Posts: 2425
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:23 pm

I agree. It's just not as easy to control as some might believe. And at the same time as justifying someone laughing in a nervous situation (I know someone who once worked for a bank, was held up, and could not stop herself laughing while a gun was being pointed at her) I can also understand why anger or frustration is the initial reaction for many people in those situations. I dare say I would not be suitable for any occupation that relied on me not losing my temper :)
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:35 pm

I think I can see common ground in there. :)

TheWall
Posts: 768
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:51 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby TheWall » Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:51 pm

Philistine wrote:
This close pass from Monday. Should I make a formal complaint? It was well within a metre, although not the worst I have experienced. What got me particularly fired up was the fact that the driver had an empty lane on his outside (I am assuming it was a "he"), and actually moved into it about 30 metres farther on. This stretch of road is one lane in either direction, and only divides and doubles up for a couple of hundred metres around the intersection,


Yes.

User avatar
Cheesewheel
Posts: 1120
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:22 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Cheesewheel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:09 pm

Australian driver who has an outstanding license suspension for 36 years is busted again. The article does not provide any info on what events led to such an extraordinary lengthy ban (although its probably safe to say that allegations of close-shaving cyclists didn't weigh in).

https://m.northernstar.com.au/news/nabb ... e/3580425/

I wasn't even aware such long bans were even possible fot courts to deliver to culprits. Of course it's no surprise that he is also facing fresh allegations of driving whilst suspended.
Go!Run!GAH!

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19287
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:Australian driver who has an outstanding license suspension for 36 years is busted again. The article does not provide any info on what events led to such an extraordinary lengthy ban (although its probably safe to say that allegations of close-shaving cyclists didn't weigh in).

https://m.northernstar.com.au/news/nabb ... e/3580425/

I wasn't even aware such long bans were even possible fot courts to deliver to culprits. Of course it's no surprise that he is also facing fresh allegations of driving whilst suspended.

Most likely multiple driving offenses, each incurring a couple of years disqualification

This person is most likely a danger to others
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

uart
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:15 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby uart » Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:02 pm

Philistine wrote:
This close pass from Monday. Should I make a formal complaint? It was well within a metre, although not the worst I have experienced. What got me particularly fired up was the fact that the driver had an empty lane on his outside (I am assuming it was a "he"), and actually moved into it about 30 metres farther on. This stretch of road is one lane in either direction, and only divides and doubles up for a couple of hundred metres around the intersection,


That was a punishment pass for sure Phil (aka a deliberate close pass meant to purposely endanger and intimidate you).

Can you post a link (eg google street view) to that intersection. It looks like a terrible road design to make a single lane road become two lanes right there. If it's one lane soon after that intersection, then it should be changed so that traffic is forced back unto one lane *before* the intersection, and the extra space be used to make a proper merging lane for left turning traffic there.

Having the extra lane there is just inviting motorist to speed up the curbside lane, just where other traffic is trying to enter. No doubt you "spoilt" that motorists speed run up the inside there, so he had to punish you. :(

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:42 am

uart wrote:That was a punishment pass for sure Phil (aka a deliberate close pass meant to purposely endanger and intimidate you).

For sure? Really? I think that is very hard to conclude that.

A possible perspective of the motorist: Cruising along clear road in front, listening to the interesting discussion on the radio. When unexpectedly a cyclist moves the lane straight ahead. With little time to check mirrors and blindspot for a safe lane change the motorist did their best to move to the right side of the lane giving maximum possible room while staying in his/her lane because they haven't had time to check whether the adjacent lane is clear.

In the scenario above you could say all sorts of things about the motorist's lack of situational awareness, slow reaction times etc.. But poor driving doesn't make it a 'punishment pass'.


Honestly I think that the cyclist shouldn't pulled out. Had the cyclist been a truck it would have necessitated the car behind to slow or change lanes to avoid a collision. It would seem kinda rude to enter the roadway like that if not a failure to give way. IMO it isn't clear that the cyclist "gave way" to the car as required on entering the road.

Philistine
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Philistine » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 am

uart wrote:Can you post a link (eg google street view) to that intersection. It looks like a terrible road design to make a single lane road become two lanes right there. If it's one lane soon after that intersection, then it should be changed so that traffic is forced back unto one lane *before* the intersection, and the extra space be used to make a proper merging lane for left turning traffic there.

Having the extra lane there is just inviting motorist to speed up the curbside lane, just where other traffic is trying to enter. No doubt you "spoilt" that motorists speed run up the inside there, so he had to punish you. :(

What you are asking is a bit beyond my skill set (I was just able to confirm that). It is the junction of the M5 and Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra.

The terrible road design begins much further back than the actual intersection. If you are traveling from the east/south on Henry Lawson Drive, following the approximate path of the Georges River, you have to negotiate about 10 km of 2-lane road, with no opportunity to overtake a slower vehicle. When you reach the M5, there are perhaps 500 metres of dual carriageway - with 3 sets of traffic lights - before the road narrows again to 2 lanes. This positively encourages a take-no-prisoners mentality on the part of motorists. If an enterprising walloper were to position himself there during the afternoon peak (I have no information on what happens during the morning peak), he could fill his infringement notice book as fast as he could write the tickets.

human909
Posts: 9123
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:50 am

Philistine wrote:What you are asking is a bit beyond my skill set (I was just able to confirm that). It is the junction of the M5 and Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra.


There
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.943 ... 312!8i6656

Does look like a horrible place to be riding.

Philistine
Posts: 276
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:57 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Philistine » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:03 am

human909 wrote:
Does look like a horrible place to be riding.

Thanks for the link, Human. It is OK at the quiet times but it gets a bit willing during the afternoon peak. The actual M5 is OK even then because I am riding against the direction of flow i.e. towards the city when most traffic is leaving the city. I won't ride in the direction of flow during peak hours, as I have witnessed motorists taking to the breakdown strip / bike lane to overtake slow moving or stationary traffic.

hunch
Posts: 194
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 7:06 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby hunch » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:53 am

I'd take more care joining that traffic for sure.

Biggest problem I have on Henry Lawson in the afternoon peak hour at least, is the bridge near Milperra Rd heading the other way.....as said, you'lI get drongos swerving onto the verge no signals, as shown, if you take the "safer" option and with none of that extra room on the bridge, still far too many unfamiliar with the use of the middle pedal! I cheat using the footpath heading north earlier in the day usually.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.9316797,150.978509,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVdKOpFdoAinpB2sSexV11w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

User avatar
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod
Posts: 19287
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:42 pm
Location: Tempe, Sydney
Contact:

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Nov 25, 2018 3:37 pm

human909 wrote:
Philistine wrote:What you are asking is a bit beyond my skill set (I was just able to confirm that). It is the junction of the M5 and Henry Lawson Drive, Milperra.


There
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-33.943 ... 312!8i6656

Does look like a horrible place to be riding.

Its typical of Motorway building in Sydney, get the induced traffic just far enough away from the inserted motorway so that the congestion is someone else's problem to fix, in many cases the local council who have to pay for the road upgrades for what is not local traffic.
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

jasonc
Posts: 9901
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 pm



Image

adam0bmx0
Posts: 205
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby adam0bmx0 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:14 pm

jasonc wrote:moped rider


Probably the same one I came across at that same spot a couple months ago.

User avatar
pj
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:36 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby pj » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:32 pm

Idiot this morning was tailgating me and beeping their horn. I assume this was because I was in the "car" lane and not in the "bike" lane.

In the interest of trying to stay calm I ignored her, claimed the lane and carried on however I forgot to unclip at the next lights :roll:

Unfortunately rear camera wasn't on today.

Nice lady stopped to check if I was ok :D


Return to “General Cycling Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users