Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby kenwstr » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:42 pm

Aushiker wrote:
kenwstr wrote:Please define "Lawful Direction".

This should give you some idea ... NSW Act

185 Police may give reasonable directions for traffic regulation

A police officer may give reasonable directions for the safe and efficient regulation of traffic to any person driving a motor vehicle or riding a motorcycle on or near a road or road related area.

Andrew

The term "lawful direction" does not just relate to road rules only. It is a term I have come across before so it would seem to be a legally defined term. Just curious about the actual definition.

Ken
kenwstr

by BNA » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 pm

BNA

Postby high_tea » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:53 pm

It would probably vary from state to state. In Queensland r304 of the Transport Operations (Road Use Management—Road Rules) Regulation 2009 makes following certain directions (given under not-particularly-interesting sections of Queensland-specific legislation) a defence to a breach of the Road Rules. I expect other states also do this sort of thing by statute, which I can't be bothered looking up. I certainly wouldn't assume there wasn't a common definition of "lawful direction", not without doing a lot more reading than I myself can be having with atm.
high_tea

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:58 pm

kenwstr wrote:The term "lawful direction" does not just relate to road rules only. It is a term I have come across before so it would seem to be a legally defined term. Just curious about the actual definition.

There is no "definition" as such as I understand, rather it is a matter of specific State based legislation which provides the basis a Police Officer can provide a lawful direction, which is why I posted the link to the NSW legislation as an example and made it clear that it should give you an idea. It should be pretty obvious from the legislation how it is applied and in what the various contexts are a direction can be given; heck even the section I quoted should be show that.

The quote in respect to the road rules was simply because of the context of the discussion here ... :roll:

The Macquarie Dictionary (useful things dictionaries you know) defines:

lawful
/ˈlɔfəl/ (say 'lawfuhl)

adjective 1. allowed or permitted by law; not contrary to law.

2. legally qualified or entitled: lawful king.

3. recognised or sanctioned by law.

4. valid; legitimate: a lawful marriage.
–lawfully, adverb
–lawfulness, noun

and

direction
/dəˈrɛkʃən/ (say duh'rekshuhn), /daɪ-/ (say duy-)

noun 1. the act of directing, pointing, aiming, etc.

2. the line along which anything lies, faces, moves, etc., with reference to the point or region towards which it is directed.

3. the point or region itself.

4. a line of action, tendency, etc.

5. guidance; instruction: to offer some direction.

6. (plural) instructions.

7. order; command.

8. management; control.

9. a directorate.

10. the superscription on a letter, etc., giving the name and address of the intended recipient.

11. decisions in a stage or film production as to stage business, speaking of lines, lighting, and general presentation.

12. a symbol or phrase in a musical score which indicates the correct tempo, style of performance, mood, etc.

putting 1 + 1 together you get ....

BTW the NSW legislation does not define lawful direction which is not surprising given the terms are in common use and really don't need to be defined in the legislation.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:28 pm

jasonc wrote:
Saturnstarzz wrote:close call for me video doesn't do it justice really but had to slow down a fair bit. Wasnt a smidsy as I had my lights on, was a not going to give way to you as I'm a truck and your a bike.

that around braybrook/the back of sunshine?

Close.... Francis Street in Brooklyn.
Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm

jules21 wrote:pretty poor driving but i'd say he saw you and left room. the problem is you can't know that so have to assume you may be run off the road. so it's not OK.

What was scarier was he turned left and no care about indicating. Love how he gave me a toot as I may waved my fist at him.
Saturnstarzz

Postby jasonc » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:58 pm

Saturnstarzz wrote:
jasonc wrote:
Saturnstarzz wrote:close call for me video doesn't do it justice really but had to slow down a fair bit. Wasnt a smidsy as I had my lights on, was a not going to give way to you as I'm a truck and your a bike.

that around braybrook/the back of sunshine?

Close.... Francis Street in Brooklyn.

ah yep. that's actually where I meant but forget the names of the suburbs after not having lived down there for so long.
jasonc

Postby fingy » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:54 pm

annoying noisy smelly "cool kid" on todays ride.
fingy

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:57 am

With this one I initially just checked the video after the ride to see if it showed the use the mobile phone and was quite surprised at the clarity. In light of that I did fire off a friendly but firm email to Gronbek Security with a reminder about road safety, vulnerable road users etc. Will be interesting to see if I get a response.

The camera is a GoPro Hero 3 Black. My old Jumbo HD808 I don't think was as good getting this sort of action.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Ross » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:02 am

Not sure if this belongs in moron motorists or moron pedestrians...I saw a woman in a motorised wheelchair crossing against the red man at a busy 4 way intersection last night during peak hour. As if she doesn't have enough problems being in a wheelchair already, I'm sure being hit by a car would just be the icing on the cake for her. :roll:
Ross

Postby arkle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 am

Ross wrote:Not sure if this belongs in moron motorists or moron pedestrians...I saw a woman in a motorised wheelchair crossing against the red man at a busy 4 way intersection last night during peak hour. As if she doesn't have enough problems being in a wheelchair already, I'm sure being hit by a car would just be the icing on the cake for her. :roll:

Maybe it wasn't her first time?

arkle
arkle

Postby nescius » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:41 am

Moron motorist this morning was the fat middle aged guy in a suit driving a glorified commodore (caprice?) who wound his window down to specifically shout some abuse at me as he passed me in a carpark (I was just heading home from coffee after a bunch ride). It upset me and was completely unwarranted so I turned and gave chase to see what he would do, I think he was surprised at how quick I was and he scarpered in a cloud of spinning tyre smoke almost cleaning up another motorist in the process. I probably could have continued to chase and likely would have caught him at each intersection, but I figured he seemed sufficiently frightened and who knows what carnage he might end up causing, so I let him go. Why did he effectively pick a fight with me then run away? If he wasn't interested in trouble why bother starting it? Maybe he realised that I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist who would likely teach him the sort of lesson that isn't much fun to learn... Normally I would just laugh this sort of thing off, but it just really annoyed me this morning for some reason.

It always surprises me that some people think it's fine to throw abuse at another person for no reason at all, I'm pretty sure if we were both walking down the street he would never dream of saying a word to me. I don't think I have ever wound down my window and shouted anything nasty to anyone at any time in my life, how do people come to the conclusion that this sort of behaviour is acceptable?
Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby jules21 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:52 am

nescius wrote:he scarpered in a cloud of spinning tyre smoke almost cleaning up another motorist in the process.

.. how do people come to the conclusion that this sort of behaviour is acceptable?

unsure, stupidity and cowardice are likely suspects. but kudos on explaining to him that it isn't. you wouldn't cop abuse walking down the street, why should you on a bike?
jules21

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:04 am

nescius wrote:Moron motorist this morning was the fat middle aged guy in a suit driving a glorified commodore (caprice?) who wound his window down to specifically shout some abuse at me as he passed me in a carpark (I was just heading home from coffee after a bunch ride). It upset me and was completely unwarranted so I turned and gave chase to see what he would do, I think he was surprised at how quick I was and he scarpered in a cloud of spinning tyre smoke almost cleaning up another motorist in the process. I probably could have continued to chase and likely would have caught him at each intersection, but I figured he seemed sufficiently frightened and who knows what carnage he might end up causing, so I let him go. Why did he effectively pick a fight with me then run away? If he wasn't interested in trouble why bother starting it? Maybe he realised that I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist who would likely teach him the sort of lesson that isn't much fun to learn... Normally I would just laugh this sort of thing off, but it just really annoyed me this morning for some reason.

It always surprises me that some people think it's fine to throw abuse at another person for no reason at all, I'm pretty sure if we were both walking down the street he would never dream of saying a word to me. I don't think I have ever wound down my window and shouted anything nasty to anyone at any time in my life, how do people come to the conclusion that this sort of behaviour is acceptable?

Nice work Nescius :twisted: 8)
You probably made him reconsider the wisdom of his actions for the next time, which may be one of us.
warthog1

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:34 pm

warthog1 wrote:Nice work Nescius :twisted: 8)

+ 1

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:36 pm

Aushiker wrote:With this one I initially just checked the video after the ride to see if it showed the use the mobile phone and was quite surprised at the clarity. In light of that I did fire off a friendly but firm email to Gronbek Security with a reminder about road safety, vulnerable road users etc. Will be interesting to see if I get a response.

Received a response from Gronbek Security.

Andrew,

I appreciate your concern for people driving whilst using one hand to operate a mobile phone.

Gronbek Security has always and always will promote and support safe driving practices, and all our mobile employees has been instructed only to use mobile phones when connected to a hands free device.

I will speak to the employee concerned and I agree with you that it is not the greatest way to advertise our business name.

Regards
Geoff Gronbek

I think I will leave it at that ... point made.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:44 pm

nescius wrote:Moron motorist this morning was the fat middle aged guy in a suit driving a glorified commodore (caprice?) who wound his window down to specifically shout some abuse at me as he passed me in a carpark (I was just heading home from coffee after a bunch ride). It upset me and was completely unwarranted so I turned and gave chase to see what he would do, I think he was surprised at how quick I was and he scarpered in a cloud of spinning tyre smoke almost cleaning up another motorist in the process. I probably could have continued to chase and likely would have caught him at each intersection, but I figured he seemed sufficiently frightened and who knows what carnage he might end up causing, so I let him go. Why did he effectively pick a fight with me then run away? If he wasn't interested in trouble why bother starting it? Maybe he realised that I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist who would likely teach him the sort of lesson that isn't much fun to learn... Normally I would just laugh this sort of thing off, but it just really annoyed me this morning for some reason.

Its very amusing how many times that happens when you decide to give chase :lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby AKO » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Its very amusing how many times that happens when you decide to give chase :lol: :lol:

Sometimes you don't need to give chase. The moron in the passengers seat of the work ute the other day called into question my sexual orientation while zooming past. Had he been paying attention he would have realised that the light 50 metres ahead was red and they were stopping. A very amusing conversation ensued when I rolled up next to him. Lets just say he wasn't so keen to converse whilst the ute was stationary.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby arkle » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:54 pm

nescius wrote:Maybe he realised that I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist who would likely teach him the sort of lesson that isn't much fun to learn...

Knowing my luck, if I chased a motorist, the driver would turn out to be a former state champion martial artist.

arkle
arkle

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:23 pm

arkle wrote:
nescius wrote:Maybe he realised that I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist who would likely teach him the sort of lesson that isn't much fun to learn...

Knowing my luck, if I chased a motorist, the driver would turn out to be a former state champion martial artist.

arkle

Or maybe just a weedy guy, wacked out on drugs, and packing a gun.....
Rhubarb

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:37 pm

arkle wrote:
Ross wrote:Not sure if this belongs in moron motorists or moron pedestrians...I saw a woman in a motorised wheelchair crossing against the red man at a busy 4 way intersection last night during peak hour. As if she doesn't have enough problems being in a wheelchair already, I'm sure being hit by a car would just be the icing on the cake for her. :roll:

arkle

*chuckles* That's mean.
BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:47 pm

This is my first video that I took with the Go Pro Silver a few weeks ago.
Travelling at a fair clip along the Esplanade towards Mornington Main St where Tanti Ave meets the Esplanade. Quite a wide entrance from Tanti. See this dude coming up a bit quick to the give way sign. He does the cursory glance in my direction then happily proceeds to pull out. Soooooo hanging to get a front camera. I have already pulled out into the middle of the lane.

Another from Tuesday 11th June, just to show most motorists on that day gave a wide berth to me while slowly proceeding up Whitehill Rd towards Red Hill, hell, one even went so far as to actually indicate. It wasnt untill the road narrows at the top where I had two numpties that simply HAD to make a pass on the narrow stretch while there was oncoming traffic.
Please excuse the piss poor editing, still getting the hang of it.

BianchiCam

Postby London Boy » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:03 pm

kenwstr wrote:The term "lawful direction" does not just relate to road rules only. It is a term I have come across before so it would seem to be a legally defined term. Just curious about the actual definition.

Various bits of legislation. TO(RUMS) aside, the main source is the Police Powers and Responsibilities Act (for Qld anyway - other states have their own legislation) together with a bunch of common law provisions not yet legislated out of existence.
London Boy

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:05 pm

BianchiCam wrote:
arkle wrote:

arkle

*chuckles* That's mean.

Reminds me of a run-in I had with a guy in a wheelchair on Beach road several years ago. I passed the guy on the flat northbound into Sandringham, but the lights up ahead changed to red, so I did what I thought was the decent thing & stayed wide as I stopped, being taller & more visible to traffic. Wheelie guy let off a tirade of abuse about cutting him off as he sailed through the red. I felt like yelling out (but didn't) that one could see how he got himself in the chair in the first place.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby Ross » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:24 am

Police allegdly speeding and not giving way to children on a pedestrian crossing

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2o6jw.html
Ross

Postby blkmcs » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:40 am

Ross wrote:Police allegdly speeding and not giving way to children on a pedestrian crossing

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 2o6jw.html

Watch how it should be done, from about 4 minutes 35 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4qIeQcIKLM
Too old to live, too slow to die.
blkmcs

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion