Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:31 pm

hannos wrote:I posted this a few months ago

As it happens, my complaint was summarrily ignored. So I submitted a complaint to the Customer Assistance Unit.
Tomorrow I go in to give a formal statement and it appears the driver (or registered owner) will be receiving a Neg Driving charge.

Good to hear something is being done about that one. :)
Summernight

by BNA » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:09 pm

BNA

Postby oxonabike » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:09 pm

Gerry.M wrote:
Just out of curiosity, is the path to your left a shared bike path, and if so why wouldn't you use that instead?

Looks like the sort of road you can't claim the lane on safely and so your stuck in that dodgy little edge strip.

Nope, the whole area is roadworks / under construction. That path comes to a muddy dead end where they are probably trying to work out what to do with it. In fact, you can see the mullock heap at the end of the nice new cement just after I pass the truck as it's slowing down for traffic. Hopefully, when all the work is finished, we'll get our full width shoulder back, in which case I doubt I'd use that path anyway.
oxonabike

Postby find_bruce » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:29 pm

hannos wrote:I posted this a few months ago

As it happens, my complaint was summarrily ignored. So I submitted a complaint to the Customer Assistance Unit.
Tomorrow I go in to give a formal statement and it appears the driver (or registered owner) will be receiving a Neg Driving charge.

I disappointed that they have only gone for negligent driving - the essential feature of negligence is that it is unintentional - that driver clearly intended to drive in the manner that he did and should have been charged with dangerous driving.

A penalty notice for neg driving involves a fine of $405 & 3 demerit points.

A dangerous driving charge on the other hand means going to court & if convicted a minimum period of licence disqualification of 12 months and facing a maximum court imposed penalty of $2,200 and or gaol time of up to 9 months.

I would be much happier if this driver was off our roads for at least 12 months.

Well done for chasing it up though Hannos, because a neg driving charge is much better than him simply getting away with it which is what would have happened otherwise.
find_bruce

Postby hannos » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm

That's what I am currently led to believe through the subject of an email I received. I probably won't know for certain until tomorrow.
Most things I capture I let slide. Not this one though as he almost caused an accident and I know some cyclists ride in that breakdown lane.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:37 pm

find_bruce wrote:A dangerous driving charge on the other hand means going to court & if convicted a minimum period of licence disqualification of 12 months and facing a maximum court imposed penalty of $2,200 and or gaol time of up to 9 months.

I would be much happier if this driver was off our roads for at least 12 months.

but.. such a penalty would have a heavy impact on the accused. he may be forced to take public transport for that period of time, or even ride a bike! i'd say it's only fair that the police accounted for these extenuating circumstances in determining an appropriate charge :roll:
jules21

Postby jindydiver » Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:58 pm

Summernight wrote:Lunchtime today (doing a small errand). Decided to take the bike instead of walking to cut about 30 minutes off the round trip. Middle of Melbourne CBD. I think I prefer peak hour drivers...

(and yes, I got the O and 0 mixed up. Whoops. :P)

There are no lines marking that section of road as two lanes until just before the intersection. The truck indicated while you were still on the section of road that was one lane. On the dangerous situation scale of one to ten this wouldn't hardly make it to one.
jindydiver

Postby Summernight » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:18 pm

jindydiver wrote:There are no lines marking that section of road as two lanes until just before the intersection. The truck indicated while you were still on the section of road that was one lane. On the dangerous situation scale of one to ten this wouldn't hardly make it to one.

That's your opinion of the situation as you have watched it from a video on an internet forum. He is still a moron, even if the incident wasn't your definition of dangerous and, as has previously been mentioned, his indicating skills seem to be lacking according to the road rules (VIC Road Safety Rules r46 - Giving a left change of direction signal).
Summernight

Postby jules21 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:23 pm

the road rules are quite clear that a driver is not automatically entitled to use an entire lane - shifting your position within a given lane still requires you to yield to other traffic. an example is when there are two columns of traffic in the one marked lane. you can't just smash into other cars next to you.
jules21

Postby K2 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:06 am

elantra wrote:If a long-ish vehicle is gunna do wide turn... he/she should Slow right down, Give a long indication, Check left mirror, and Wait for any vehicle in that lane to appear to slow, stop or Clear the intersection

Unfortunately even some professional drivers are impatient and fail to use indicators correctly, just like so, so many others do, sometimes with very serious consequences.

I'm half way through a book called 'The Bicycle Book' by Bella Bathurst*. It's an interesting hodge-podge of various aspects of cycling. In one of the many enlightening interviews a personal injury lawyer claims that of the 13 cyclist fatalities that occurred in London in 2009, 9 were taken out by HGVs doing pretty much what could have occurred here....truck making a left hand turn swings out to the right (or in this case holds right before giving vastly insufficient warning), cyclist takes gap, bye-bye.

Even worse, she says 8 of the 9 were women due (her generalization, not mine) to the ladies being more cautious and law abiding cyclists than men, and therefore more prone to tuck themselves into corners at junctions where they can't be seen.

Given that, Id suggest it was a lot more dangerous than some seem to think and Summernight did really well to hang back. Remember as it happened there was no nice warning header titled Moron Motorists #3 prefacing a vid of exactly that....which kinda begs the Pythonesque question - Are there any cement truck drivers here?

*$3 shop book. Just finished revealing and quite sad short interviews with Charly Wegelius and Graeme Obree (got another book & film to catch up with now).
K2

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:13 am

To the cyclists of Melbourne, SORRY.
I was part of a Lexus car procession yesterday afternoon which saw a the lead car being driven onto a pull in area and the following 3 cars like sheep just followed literally closing the route of a lycra clad rider in 'Fizik' kit, white I think. Thankfully the driver of our car stopped and let him weave between the chaos.
So sorry if that was you, I saw you shaking your head as you rode off. Again sorry, I cannot believe they accelerated around you and then dove left and called out for us to follow, choice language was used in our car to express our planning of the maneuver over the 2-way.
Again sorry.
Wakatuki

Postby jules21 » Thu Jul 11, 2013 10:25 am

Wakatuki wrote:To the cyclists of Melbourne, SORRY.
I was part of a Lexus car procession yesterday afternoon which saw a the lead car being driven onto a pull in area and the following 3 cars like sheep just followed literally closing the route of a lycra clad rider in 'Fizik' kit, white I think. Thankfully the driver of our car stopped and let him weave between the chaos.
So sorry if that was you, I saw you shaking your head as you rode off. Again sorry, I cannot believe they accelerated around you and then dove left and called out for us to follow, choice language was used in our car to express our planning of the maneuver over the 2-way.
Again sorry.

are you a road tester?
jules21

Postby Wakatuki » Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:17 am

I wish, it was the intro to the new IS model. We had a track day in the morning and a road drive in the afternoon. Which ended up being a peak traffic dash to the airport!

Excellent weather yesterday on Phillip Island, better than the Sunshine Coast has been for a while.
Wakatuki

Postby Timeonabike » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:02 pm

This probably belongs to the category of Lamest Heckling of a cyclist ever...but it was done from a car so here it is.

On my ride home last night, some young ninny decides to lean out of a car window and yell out, at maximum throat tearing volume, "Guess what? Looks like your wheels are spinning".

It was so lame and so loud that I didn't even think it was directed at me, until I saw the video later on.

Cheers

Time
Timeonabike

Postby MisuVir » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:20 pm

Timeonabike wrote:On my ride home last night, some young ninny decides to lean out of a car window and yell out, at maximum throat tearing volume, "Guess what? Looks like your wheels are spinning".

Quite remarkable that you could understand what they said. Usually all I hear is "HEY! Your snarkldos is fido...!"
MisuVir

Postby Scarfy96 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:34 pm

LOL - when riding my uni if I had a $1 for every time I had heard "you've lost a wheel" or "you've lost your handlebars" I would have enough to buy another bike ;)
Scarfy96

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:LOL - when riding my uni if I had a $1 for every time I had heard "you've lost a wheel" or "you've lost your handlebars" I would have enough to buy another bike ;)

Kmart or pinarello? :roll:
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:LOL - when riding my uni if I had a $1 for every time I had heard "you've lost a wheel" or "you've lost your handlebars" I would have enough to buy another bike ;)

:lol:

So unicyclists get heckled too huh? My only interaction with unicyclists thus far is when I got heckled by one for having a superfluous second wheel... :cry:

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby AKO » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:32 pm

Timeonabike wrote:This probably belongs to the category of Lamest Heckling of a cyclist ever...but it was done from a car so here it is.

On my ride home last night, some young ninny decides to lean out of a car window and yell out, at maximum throat tearing volume, "Guess what? Looks like your wheels are spinning".

It was so lame and so loud that I didn't even think it was directed at me, until I saw the video later on.

Cheers

Time

Similar thing happened to me yesterday. Blue Mazda Bravo towing a trailer cruises past while I'm pulling up a hill. The passenger screams out "take that fa@#ot" before a beer bottle cap bounced harmlessly off the road just in front of my wheel. He really showed me. I nearly didn't make it to the top of the hill I was laughing that hard.
Malvern Star Oppy C5 (2012)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
AKO

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Timeonabike wrote:This probably belongs to the category of Lamest Heckling of a cyclist ever...but it was done from a car so here it is.

Huh? I don't get it.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:42 pm

Had a laugh on my way home tonight - taxi driver honked his horn at me. When i enquired as to the source of his problem, TD told me I should be in the left lane (of 3) to which I responded that I could use any lane I liked (CBD is a 50 or 60 zone) all of which happened while I was rolling along at 30+

I would have continued the conversation but his lane came to a halt while I continued on & turned right, which was why I was in the right lane.

No abuse, no shouting just a conversation, very surreal
find_bruce

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:55 pm

Personally, I prefer to avoid Friday nights on a bike. Too many morons doing dangerous things.

Nice to catch up with you the other morning :D
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Summernight wrote:
jindydiver wrote:There are no lines marking that section of road as two lanes until just before the intersection. The truck indicated while you were still on the section of road that was one lane. On the dangerous situation scale of one to ten this wouldn't hardly make it to one.

That's your opinion of the situation as you have watched it from a video on an internet forum. He is still a moron, even if the incident wasn't your definition of dangerous and, as has previously been mentioned, his indicating skills seem to be lacking according to the road rules (VIC Road Safety Rules r46 - Giving a left change of direction signal).

The camera field of view makes it look more distant than it is. And indicating at the instant you start the turn is not what I'd call safe driving. I'd be pretty cranky too if this was done to me.
trailgumby

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:57 pm

GeoffInBrisbane wrote:

:lol:

So unicyclists get heckled too huh? My only interaction with unicyclists thus far is when I got heckled by one for having a superfluous second wheel... :cry:

We do. Not much original material though.

But, and I expect Scarfy has the same experience, it is seldom anything but well natured. Unlike on a bike.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby VRE » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:18 pm

trailgumby wrote:
Summernight wrote:

The camera field of view makes it look more distant than it is. And indicating at the instant you start the turn is not what I'd call safe driving. I'd be pretty cranky too if this was done to me.

Indicating the instant a turn or lane change begins is something Melbourne motorists are exceptionally good at. I don't exaggerate when I say that no more than about 10% of Melbourne motorists actually indicate properly. Actually, that may be a bit generous of me. And I forgot to mention the numerous motorists who quite often don't bother indicating at all (that's normally when no other motorists are around, only cyclists). Melbourne is just the 21st century equivalent of the Wild West, except the cowboys ride 4WDs not horses, and the sheriffs are not much help to anybody.
VRE

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:13 am

VRE wrote:Indicating the instant a turn or lane change begins is something Melbourne motorists are exceptionally good at. I don't exaggerate when I say that no more than about 10% of Melbourne motorists actually indicate properly. Actually, that may be a bit generous of me. And I forgot to mention the numerous motorists who quite often don't bother indicating at all (that's normally when no other motorists are around, only cyclists). Melbourne is just the 21st century equivalent of the Wild West, except the cowboys ride 4WDs not horses, and the sheriffs are not much help to anybody.

Are you sure they meant to indicate ? Sometimes I wonder if they accidentally hit the indicator as the turned the wheel :roll:
find_bruce

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion