Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:27 pm

jimsheedy wrote:This morning at about 645 heading north down the spit hill at about 55 kmh our group was tailgated ( less than a metre clearance from the closest rider's rear wheel) by a hero in a ute with BRADSTREET BUILDING sign writing on it. The genius also sat on his horn the whole way. As he went past at the bottom he wound down the window and let go with some abuse. It is a three lane main road. we were in the left lane and boxed in by other cars. This bloke was driving recklessly and extremely aggressively. The consequences of him hitting the rider in front (myself) would've been dire to say the least. Our group of a dozen riders include a few architects a criminal barrister and a senior news limited exec. A letter is on its way although on noting their website that they are a family run company not holding out much hope of a compassionate hearing. Anyway remember the name BRADSTREET BUILDING.

Looks like they have work on around the Seaforth area judging by their photo gallery. That's a worry. Will keep an eye out.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

by BNA » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:12 pm

BNA

Postby hunch » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:12 pm

Just so happens they've been working in Cove Ave Manly for the last couple of months, I suspect you might find the ute parked there after about 7am most mornings...if someone wants to have an educational chat!
hunch

Postby Ross » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:00 pm

Blue Ford Focus driver, you are a FW for deliberately squeezing me while driving through roadworks earlier today. Sorry I was only doing 38km/h in the 40km/h zone but I was a little tired after riding 120km already. There was enough room on your right to drive a semi-trailer so why do you have to try and run me off the road on the left?
Ross

Postby trailgumby » Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:02 pm

Because he can? :roll:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby hannos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:59 pm

22nd August, Gymea shops at about 7:20am.
female power-plater wanders through a pedestrian crossing after the lights go red, all the while texting on her phone (not visible in the video though)
It's all at low speed but that is not the point. The truck could probably have stopped too.

2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:12 pm

A copy of the letter I sent to the company on the weekend

On Saturday 24/08/13 at approximately 0650 a dark haired male was driving a ute with Bradstreet building written on the side, north on spit road. Heading down the hill at 55kmh he tailgated a cyclist while continually sounding his horn and on passing at the bottom wound down the window and abused him. This persons actions were extremely aggressive and reckless. He was driving less than half a metre from the cyclists rear wheel. A slight miscalculation on the drivers part would have seen a shocking accident that could easily have ended in a fatality. It would seem that the driver was impatient or annoyed at having to share the road with a group of cyclists as earlier at the top of the hill he had driven very close to a large group of riders and aggressively blasted his horn as he passed them. Apart from this persons actions being illegal and incredibly dangerous there seemed to be no basis for his frustration as spit road is three lanes and at that time of the day on a weekend is not particularly busy.

The large group of riders that were the victims of and witness to this persons actions consisted of professionals from the building, finance, media and legal professions, all now with a very negative impression of Bradstreet Building.

I wanted to bring this to your attention as the next time this person decides to behave in this manner the outcome may be a lot worse than negative publicity for your company name.
jimsheedy

Postby cp123 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:18 pm

Friday morning Canberra outside Lakeside Rydges hotel. :roll: The same spot where a forum member here did get taken out about 3 or 4 months ago by a car turning in, i almost got taken out by a car pushing its way out.

So its about 8.30 am and I had just taken the citywest exist from Commonwealth Ave. There were multiple other cars doing the same and as its a squeeze point right outside the front of that hotel i claim the lane and assume my position within the line of cars. The traffic lights at the next turn left to Edinburgh Ave were red. There was approximately 6-7 cars stopped in front of me and i was halted a bit south of the front entry and exit to the hotel. Even if i'd tried to squeeze up the left hand side, i would've only gotten about 2 cars ahead. So i assume the position and wait my turn.

So I noticed 2 cars at the hotel that were pulling out towards the road. The first (the MM), and the second was a taxi. I didn't give them a second thought as they had to give way to ALL traffic currently on the road which included the 6 or so cars in front of me, me, and however many cars were lined up behind me. Didn't they...? Well obviously not. :roll: As the lights change, there's a slow accelleration as all the cars in front of me start to go. As soon as the car in front of me moves i push off, and click in. i'm travelling within 5 metres from the rear of the car in front of me and i was watching him as to whether he wanted to continue on round london circuit or was going to turn left (as I planned to do). but Mr MM in the lakeside decides he's coming out NOW! :evil: and starts. I look directly at him and shake my head as if to say "don't be a bloody idiot" But he is a bloody idiot. Either he seriously doesn't register me or he's DGAF! I think it was then I yelled "BLOODYLOOKOUT!" or something similar and grab the brakes. He suddenly stops and then thinks firetruckit and barges his way back in. I couldn't believe it and pull slightly right to avoid hitting his right hand side passenger door.

I then sat up and gave him the what on earth are you doing sign (you know, shaking my head, arm out and saying wft are you doing?). He looks back at me through the rear vision mirror.

But there's always a down side. If you drive a car representing an organisation, and its name is plastered all over the car, then you'd better drive smartly. :twisted:

White Audi. Rego AU 109. It had www.rowingdownunder.org plastered on both sides and stickers saying car donated by Canberra Audi. You'd think that as a representative of a rowing organisation, he should appreciate other sport people participating in their own sport.

So he got to the lights and swung left and so did I. He got one more block (Marcus Clark street) and had to pull up for another red light. I was tempted to ride up beside him and ask what his problem was (but then I thought I'd be one of "those cyclists"!). :roll: And i was too woosy to. :oops: What did he gain by the whole shebang? Nothing. Other than a brown pants moment for me! He was no further in front of me, caused me to slam on my anchors and probably cause a log jam behind me and was a total MGIF driver. But yet, one block later we were both stopped by another red light. That's what i don't get.

White Audi - AU 109 - rowingdownunder.org Canberra.
cp123

Postby Percrime » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:41 pm

Rowers as a species are very pro cycling. Lots of them are cyclists. THey are great cross training for each other but rowing logistically can be a difficult sport. My training partner is a ex rower.. even has a boat named after her. So you are very likely to get a sympathetic hearing if you go to em or email them.
Percrime

Postby Laidlaym » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 pm

jimsheedy wrote:A copy of the letter I sent to the company on the weekend

On Saturday 24/08/13 at approximately 0650 a dark haired male was driving a ute with Bradstreet building written on the side, north on spit road. Heading down the hill at 55kmh he tailgated a cyclist while continually sounding his horn and on passing at the bottom wound down the window and abused him. This persons actions were extremely aggressive and reckless. He was driving less than half a metre from the cyclists rear wheel. A slight miscalculation on the drivers part would have seen a shocking accident that could easily have ended in a fatality. It would seem that the driver was impatient or annoyed at having to share the road with a group of cyclists as earlier at the top of the hill he had driven very close to a large group of riders and aggressively blasted his horn as he passed them. Apart from this persons actions being illegal and incredibly dangerous there seemed to be no basis for his frustration as spit road is three lanes and at that time of the day on a weekend is not particularly busy.

The large group of riders that were the victims of and witness to this persons actions consisted of professionals from the building, finance, media and legal professions, all now with a very negative impression of Bradstreet Building.

I wanted to bring this to your attention as the next time this person decides to behave in this manner the outcome may be a lot worse than negative publicity for your company name.

Might be worth a few hundred people here contacting them. http://www.bradstreet.com.au/contact.php

Mark
Laidlaym

Postby hannos » Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:25 pm

Laidlaym wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:A copy of the letter I sent to the company on the weekend

Might be worth a few hundred people here contacting them. http://www.bradstreet.com.au/contact.php

Mark

Bradstreet Building does not actively advertise. Instead we pride ourselves on our quality of workmanship and positive customer relationships for referrals. All our work comes from word-of- mouth and repeat business which has allowed the company to grow steadily over the last 10 years from the original 3 founders to employ a full time staff of 13

Word of mouth huh?
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby cowled » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:36 pm

jimsheedy wrote:A copy of the letter I sent to the company on the weekend.

Good luck with the letter, Jim. I suspect that Bradstreet might get hit with a whole lot of emails. Hopefully, they put this young bogan through the ringer.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
cowled

Postby Percrime » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:29 pm

Done
Percrime

Postby Ross » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:14 pm

cp123 wrote:Friday morning Canberra outside Lakeside Rydges hotel. :roll: The same spot where a forum member here did get taken out about 3 or 4 months ago by a car turning in, i almost got taken out by a car pushing its way out.

So its about 8.30 am and I had just taken the citywest exist from Commonwealth Ave. There were multiple other cars doing the same and as its a squeeze point right outside the front of that hotel i claim the lane and assume my position within the line of cars. The traffic lights at the next turn left to Edinburgh Ave were red. There was approximately 6-7 cars stopped in front of me and i was halted a bit south of the front entry and exit to the hotel. Even if i'd tried to squeeze up the left hand side, i would've only gotten about 2 cars ahead. So i assume the position and wait my turn.

So I noticed 2 cars at the hotel that were pulling out towards the road. The first (the MM), and the second was a taxi. I didn't give them a second thought as they had to give way to ALL traffic currently on the road which included the 6 or so cars in front of me, me, and however many cars were lined up behind me. Didn't they...? Well obviously not. :roll: As the lights change, there's a slow accelleration as all the cars in front of me start to go. As soon as the car in front of me moves i push off, and click in. i'm travelling within 5 metres from the rear of the car in front of me and i was watching him as to whether he wanted to continue on round london circuit or was going to turn left (as I planned to do). but Mr MM in the lakeside decides he's coming out NOW! :evil: and starts. I look directly at him and shake my head as if to say "don't be a bloody idiot" But he is a bloody idiot. Either he seriously doesn't register me or he's DGAF! I think it was then I yelled "BLOODYLOOKOUT!" or something similar and grab the brakes. He suddenly stops and then thinks firetruckit and barges his way back in. I couldn't believe it and pull slightly right to avoid hitting his right hand side passenger door.

I then sat up and gave him the what on earth are you doing sign (you know, shaking my head, arm out and saying wft are you doing?). He looks back at me through the rear vision mirror.

But there's always a down side. If you drive a car representing an organisation, and its name is plastered all over the car, then you'd better drive smartly. :twisted:

White Audi. Rego AU 109. It had http://www.rowingdownunder.org plastered on both sides and stickers saying car donated by Canberra Audi. You'd think that as a representative of a rowing organisation, he should appreciate other sport people participating in their own sport.

So he got to the lights and swung left and so did I. He got one more block (Marcus Clark street) and had to pull up for another red light. I was tempted to ride up beside him and ask what his problem was (but then I thought I'd be one of "those cyclists"!). :roll: And i was too woosy to. :oops: What did he gain by the whole shebang? Nothing. Other than a brown pants moment for me! He was no further in front of me, caused me to slam on my anchors and probably cause a log jam behind me and was a total MGIF driver. But yet, one block later we were both stopped by another red light. That's what i don't get.

White Audi - AU 109 - rowingdownunder.org Canberra.

Didn't you have a not-so-serious incident there a while back? You might need to find a different route to ride, Yes, I know that means the MMs "win", but it's better than you being maimed or killed.

Have you considered writing a letter/email to the rowing mob to alert them of their member's follies? Even if nothing comes of it you'll probably feel better for it.
Ross

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Went for a nice ride in the mountains today. On the climbs I gave way to some garbage/bitumen trucks that were about and they gave plenty of space/friendly wave despite me stopping on the side of the road waiting for them to pass. Motorbike riders gave plenty of width. Cars slowed right down before passing. A truly great and enjoyable ride. Not one close call. Just after I come flying down the mountain and enter back into the suburbia that is called Brisbane all hell breaks lose. Within 500m of coming off the tourist drive some plank waits in the side street. Easily could have pulled out when he first got there as there was no traffic in both directions. I was in the center of the road so I was very visible. Going by the amount of time he was waiting there not doing anything I assumed that he had seen me and was waiting for me to pass. Dropped a gear to maintain the speed up the slight hill. Just as I'm approaching he drives out forcing me to brake hard from about 50kph and in the process of braking pull along side as they struggle to find a gear. About another 500m further up the road some soccer mum in her 4WD cuts across to enter the side street to do a uturn. Further down Waterworks road doing 55kph around a long corner some kid goes off the footpath and starts riding towards me before jumping back up onto the footpath. Sigh. I'm going at a good speed so i tend to claim more of the lane/ride more to the right ie in the left hand wheel grove in the road and some ass waits for me to pass by from a side street then floors past as close as possible then brakes to make the next side street. Considered grabbing a gear and going off in pursuit but my legs weren't that fresh after the mountains. Guhhh. Buses parked in the left lane so cars were cutting left and right like they were at the Monaco GP to miss parked cars/stopped traffic that were waiting to enter side streets. Got to Sandgate road and about 6 cars between Rode Road-Hamilton Road overtook me with part of their car in the bike lane :roll: The bit of road where the bike lane vanishes at Virginia over the train tracks I noticed cars that had seen me slowly move to more to the right (if they were over too far to the left already) while others moved slowly to close the gap between themselves/gutter. Moreso of which were utes/trucks. Bike lane appears again and as I lift off to coast to the red light some truck goes flying past with smoke pouring out the exhaust as they are attempting to make the left hander but as usual it goes red and they are forced to break. As they were braking they moved right and stopped completely in the bike lane (If they were going to attempt making that left turn at speed from within their own lane I don't get why they had to move and block the whole bike lane - they didn't stop in a straight line but angled as if they were trying to block the lane on purpose). Still not over. Powering into a roundabout I signal using my right hand that I'm using the lane to turn right/continue straight. As soon as I put my hand back on the bars in the roundabout the car on the left creeps forward and enters the roundabout forcing me to stand the bike up and brake at the same time as they brake and stop with his car halfway in my lane after realizing he wasn't going to beat me. 50m later he comes roaring past.

100km. Great and enjoyable riding. Last 20km. F****** awful!!! :evil: Brisbane drivers. Learn how to bloody drive!
Lukeyboy

Postby A_P » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:32 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:Went for a nice ride in the mountains today. .....
100km. Great and enjoyable riding. Last 20km. F****** awful!!! :evil: Brisbane drivers. Learn how to bloody drive!

its not just brisbane, that describes just about every time i head up to beechmomt or springbrook
A_P

Postby jules21 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:12 am

this guy needs to take his license test again
jules21

Postby schroeds » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:45 am

Ha TWO attempts to go through the red light...genius...send the clip to the business advertised on the van

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Not so much a cyclist...more of a sit down comedian
schroeds

Postby higdawg » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:51 am

Having an awesome ride home when a car passes me way too close. Only a 50 zone and they were going slowly out of a roundabout. I tap the back of his car to get his attention, motion that he should pass a bit further out cause he was too close and I get the middle finger in response.
No cars coming the other way so he was just an unnecessary idiot.
He had his kids in the back from school, I just let him know that he was setting a great example.
higdawg

Postby VRE » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:04 pm

I saw a moron motorist yesterday, on the Koonung Creek Trail, riding a full-on motorbike, i.e. not just a trail bike, but a fairly hefty-looking motorbike :roll: .
VRE

Postby Bentnose » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:28 pm

Following a car going slowly on the way home, looked inside, smoke in one hand, phone in the other.

Moron last week at a roundabout, one lane that becomes two through the roundabout, even though I was so far over I was nearly in the next lane this moron decided he had to get in the lane and in front of me even though he was going straight and he had another lane to use. Got a finger in response to my complaints. Happens all the time at this roundabout.
Bentnose

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:23 pm

Nominated - the idiot in the company 4wd more intent on getting his sunnies on as he came out of a blind driveway in the CBD than peds walking on the footpath - it's what peds do when on footpaths you dolt. Seriously, I am right in front of him as I notice he is coming across without checking either his speed or his lines of sight let alone some guy right in front on him. There was no second option and I am pretty quick when I need to be so I pressed the pedals a bit harder for a couple fo turns and cleared him with a hand breadth to spare.

Immediately I dismounted and flicked myself around. By then the dolt had seen me and realised how close he came to being in court in adverse position. Looked a little sheepish. I hope the scare to him carries through long enough to do some good.
Unchain yourself - Ride a unicycle .Image
ColinOldnCranky

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:46 pm

jules21 wrote:this guy needs to take his license test again

And be sacked from his job to be no doubt recruited by Skybus...

OK- quick quiz...

Can't get the streetview to display :(
It's about 0615, You're in your smokebox headed west on Brook, about opposite Thai Hut. The lights at Evans go red.
Do you:
A/ Roll off the throttle and gently brake to a stop at the lights or
B/ Gun that little white Suzi hatch up to about 60 in a 40 zone and blaze through the red totally ignoring the bloke on the velocipede turning west off Evans on the green whose right foot is just about to clip in...

I got to the rail station a good 15 seconds behind her, still with about ten minutes to go before train arrival. Surprisingly, few words or gestures were utilised in the carpark but when a colleague on the platform said G'Day and asked how me day was going the adrenalin and bile bubbled up into a short but loud, pointing at the offender tirade in front of about 50 other passengers :oops:
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:55 pm

cripes shaun. i'd be tempted to disable her engine.
jules21

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:10 pm

I've no doubt it'll be parked there tomorrow morning and I have the day off but I can't be that cold blooded. Maybe a big sign telling the world that there's a dangerous loon aboard-spray glued to the windscreen...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby jules21 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:13 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I've no doubt it'll be parked there tomorrow morning and I have the day off but I can't be that cold blooded. Maybe a big sign telling the world that there's a dangerous loon aboard-spray glued to the windscreen...

neither me, really. i've had cause to do so before but i'm not a vandal. still, part of me thinks you'd be doing society a favour..
jules21

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion