Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:13 am

*If* the cops ever investigated him then he would say it was just a joke and that would be the end of the matter. Highly unlikely the cops would do anything about it in the first place though.
Ross

by BNA » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:14 pm

BNA

Postby trailgumby » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:14 pm

Beautiful morning this morning.

Coming back from Terrey Hills this morning I had to move into the left most lane to pass a couple of cars with trailers completely taking up the full width of the breakdown lane.

I indicate and look over my shoulder. Plenty of room, probably 200m at least. The guy in the Audi SUV skimmed me with about 30cm to spare doing about 90 :x

Complete unnecessary. :evil:
trailgumby

Postby human909 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 5:00 pm

Just a follow up based on my post yesterday.

I had a another nice ride today in the sun, though the wind made things less pleasant. Unlike yesterday when it seemed that all he ferals were out on the road. Today way great. There were numerous opportunities for morons at roundabouts, pinch points and me making right hand turns with motorists behind. However every car I encountered was polite and drove appropriately.

The fact that this was the City of Yarra rather than RichBoganVille might have been part of the reason.... I also noticed the the City of Yarra have been busy with their recently acquired sharrow stencil. I encountered numerous streets with sharrows! :D
human909

Postby briztoon » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:21 pm

sharrow

I just learned something new. :)
briztoon

Postby cp123 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:39 pm

Her family rock up after I lend her my phone to call them and they start telling me its my cault as well, at which point I tell them to let's allow the police to handle it.

how can the family blame you as well? do they have x ray vision - or were you just one of those mean bad aggressive cyclists picking on a poor defensive old lady...?

for fluff's sake.... :shock:
cp123

Postby ozzymac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:15 pm

Thought it was going to be a good ride this morning, first it was windy, then I had to stop for a snake crossing the road, then had to get off the road for another MORON motorist who decided to overtake a BDouble going up hill.
ozzymac

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:23 pm

ozzymac wrote:Thought it was going to be a good ride this morning, first it was windy, then I had to stop for a snake crossing the road, then had to get off the road for another MORON motorist who decided to overtake a BDouble going up hill.

I've had to do that as well... It was for a B-double overtaking a line of cars and another B-Double at the front coming down a gradual hill on Great Eastern Hwy. Came round the corner and I see that a few hundred metres up the road and I went straight off the road as far as I could get
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby Summernight » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:28 pm

ozzymac wrote:Thought it was going to be a good ride this morning, first it was windy, then I had to stop for a snake crossing the road, then had to get off the road for another MORON motorist who decided to overtake a BDouble going up hill.

:shock:

You can't play chicken with that. That's terrible driving by the MM.

Are you reporting that one?

I'm assuming the wave involved one finger??? :P
Summernight

Postby ozzymac » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:40 pm

Summernight wrote:

:shock:

You can't play chicken with that. That's terrible driving by the MM.

Are you reporting that one?

I'm assuming the wave involved one finger??? :P

Maybe two....

Don't see the point in reporting it, it seems my local police don't get around to doing anything about it. Haven't heard back from a previous same sort of situation but a car going a fair bit quicker.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4
ozzymac

Postby zero » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd not only report it, but I'd ombudsman it if there was no action (I presume you have the leadup video to the picture).

The seriousness of that can't be overstated, the closing speed between you and the overtaker is ~35-40m / second and if they do it 40m ahead of, you probably won't have reacted fast enough to get off the road, and even if you do go off the road, if you go off at 40, you could wind up dead or seriously injured anyway.
zero

Postby Marto » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:51 pm

On my morning commute, a car failed to give way to me when their line of sight was blocked by another car. They only stopped when I yelled out. Watch the wheels of the white car (utility) behind the dark car on the side road to the left. I had my 300 lumen front light on solid beam, and was wearing a predominantly fluoro green top (Cell Bikes cheapie). Good thing their window was open, so I could yell to warn them and they could hear my character assessment.

If you cant see if the road ahead is clear, you shouldn't just assume and drive on.

Language warning (but it seemed the only thing to say):

Marto

Postby cp123 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:59 pm

I get those situations all the time - I tend to guesstimate that the car filtering on the left hand side hasn't seen you - so i'd be keeping a greasy eye on the second car, and if i have to slow for the first car already in line then so be it - but yes, you're in a spot that car drivers don't think about. or be slow enough that you can stop if you have to. and then ROAR at them... :twisted:
cp123

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:59 pm

Marto wrote:On my morning commute, a car failed to give way to me when their line of sight was blocked by another car.

he had a clear line of sight as you were approaching - he hung behind the adjacent car to avoid his view being blocked - which is clever. inexplicable that he pulled out.
jules21

Postby Marto » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:10 pm

jules21 wrote:
Marto wrote:On my morning commute, a car failed to give way to me when their line of sight was blocked by another car.

he had a clear line of sight as you were approaching - he hung behind the adjacent car to avoid his view being blocked - which is clever. inexplicable that he pulled out.

Getting a head start on creeping? Just clueless. That behaviour and the history of motorist antics in this area activated my spidey senses.
Marto

Postby zero » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:00 pm

Marto wrote:On my morning commute, a car failed to give way to me when their line of sight was blocked by another car. They only stopped when I yelled out. Watch the wheels of the white car (utility) behind the dark car on the side road to the left. I had my 300 lumen front light on solid beam, and was wearing a predominantly fluoro green top (Cell Bikes cheapie). Good thing their window was open, so I could yell to warn them and they could hear my character assessment.

If you cant see if the road ahead is clear, you shouldn't just assume and drive on.

Terrible driver, will eventually get T-boned in the drivers door, and probably won't learn till their head cops a bullbar from such.

However, don't ride into a situation where you can see the collision course in your prime vision area. Won't do you any harm to appear looking like you can't stop instead of not actually being able to stop. In all honesty a move to the right of the lane, or even to the middle lane to give body language to the black car about your intention to go straight would not have done you any harm, and would have given you earlier visibility to the ute. Also a lane change to the middle of the lane tends to attract a lot of visual attention to yourself, because you show a lot more motion to the driver (and its motion they detect). ie I wouldn't have written off the black cars ability to pull out in front of you either.
zero

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Marto wrote:On my morning commute, a car failed to give way to me when their line of sight was blocked by another car. They only stopped when I yelled out. Watch the wheels of the white car (utility) behind the dark car on the side road to the left. I had my 300 lumen front light on solid beam, and was wearing a predominantly fluoro green top (Cell Bikes cheapie). Good thing their window was open, so I could yell to warn them and they could hear my character assessment.

I don't know why but I had a little chuckle after you swore. Must have been how you said it. :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby Marto » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:26 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
I don't know why but I had a little chuckle after you swore. Must have been how you said it. :lol:

Actually, me too. The initial "HEY!" was to stop, then I saw the windows were down, so I said the other thing. Came out Like Darryl Kerrigan when he won the court case.

The driver put their hand up in an apology gesture, so I didn't go on further.

Thanks for the tips, zero. Always good to consider.
Marto

Postby apsilon » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:56 pm

Saw one tonight. I was driving home from training, two lane road each way, permanent 40 zone (hospital). Me in the right lane preparing to turn right, other car 100m ahead in the left lane, cyclist in left lane another 100m ahead with decent lights (spotted him well in advance) probably doing about 20. Car in left lane approached very close to the rear of the cyclist then swerved out into the right hand lane. Don't know if it was deliberate or accidental stupidity. Light traffic so I can't see how they he didn't see him so probably deliberate. Wish I'd been driving the other car with the dash cam.
apsilon

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:00 pm

jules21 wrote:

S
M
I
D
G
A
F

"I'm bigger than him, time to chuck a scare out..."
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:36 pm

Always very valuable to veer to the right, claiming the middle or right of your lane, even shifting into the right lane, when approaching such a situation. I routinely do it (handy to have the rear-view mirror for this) and it makes me look more obvious and seemingly travelling faster, to the stopped/creeping cars. It gives you more room and helps to claim your lane space anyway.

Develop it as a safety habit.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby London Boy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:06 pm

trailgumby wrote:I feel a bit sad she will likely lose her independence but no regrets. She shouldn't be on the road if she can't competently manage 1600kg of heavy machinery. Imagine if id let it slide and someone had been more seriously hurt :(

Her independence or someone else's life?

Easy calculation, this one.
London Boy

Postby MisuVir » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:34 pm

Most of my commute is along a shared path, but the 15 minutes of road riding I'm forced to do have been hair-raising these past two days.

Yesterday, I got skimmed twice. If you're passing me and I can reach out and touch your car, you're waaaaay too close. I also got passed at the last second on approach to two separate roundabouts. I can claim the lane all I like, but I can't stop people overtaking on the other side of the road and pulling in front of me just to beat me to the roundabout.

Today, I narrowly avoided a left-hook. I was in a bike lane and they were not indicating so I moved to overtake. At the last second they indicated and immediately pulled left in front of me to stop at the side of the road. I had to brake hard to avoid getting squashed. Then in the last few minutes of my ride, I had someone come up behind me beeping and yelling obscenities out their window.

Considering I've had a relatively peaceful 7 years of commuting this same route, my nerves are feeling a bit rattled.
MisuVir

Postby warthog1 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:43 pm

briztoon wrote:
sharrow

I just learned something new. :)

+1 sent an email off to the local council about them with a suggestion to replace some of the local dooring lanes.
warthog1

Postby fingy » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:06 pm

Textbook right hand turn without looking today
fingy

Postby trailgumby » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:20 pm

cp123 wrote:how can the family blame you as well? do they have x ray vision - or were you just one of those mean bad aggressive cyclists picking on a poor defensive old lady...?

for fluff's sake.... :shock:

The driver believed I had come into the roundabout from the opposite direction to her (that is, from the south heading north) and suddenly turned right and across her path without warning. No doubt is what she told her son and daughter in law. What they didn't know was that I had actually entered from the street on her right (from the west heading east). :roll:

I didn't say anything to correct their misapprehension until the cops arrived.

In either case, completely irrelevant. She failed to give way to a vehicle already in the roundabout. I'm very pleased to have gotten out of it with no skin off or bike damage at all, and it looks like a change in street shoes is helping resolve the hotfoot.
trailgumby

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion