Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:57 pm

cp123 wrote:the shock alone would have me howling i'm sure. but being broken into pieces does things to people so you have nothing to feel embarrased about. do you know if it was the impact with the car (how fast were you/he going at the time?) or do you think it was the crashing onto the ground? Either way it doesn't matter - you're still paying the price and will be for a loooong while i expect. it wasn't like a piddly broken wrist or similar....

let's hope there's a bloody big cowled size scrape down the whole left side of his car.

I've had a good look at the footage frame by frame and I think I was initially hit by the mirror, which unbalanced me. The broken femur is a result of hitting the ground while still clipped in. Awkward.

Not sure if I left a mark on the car. Probably not though.

I was doing 32km/hr at the time. His speed was upwards of 50km/hr judging by the number of frames it took for the car to pass me.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
cowled

by BNA » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:01 pm

BNA

Postby Slvr32gtr » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:01 pm

cowled wrote:Yeah, sorry about the audio. Screamed like a 13yo girl, but it was actually quite painful. Would have been embarrassing if I didn't have a broken hip. Couldn't figure out how to reduce the volume on the audio towards the end.

Sorry if it was upsetting to watch. At least I survived and I get to enjoy riding again. Some others in the orthopaedic ward were not so lucky.

No need to apologise mate, that looked ridiculously painful and scary!! :shock: Im sure i would have been screaming a hell of a lot more in that situation!!

Good luck healing up on the road to recovery and I hope you get more than just a new bike out of the fecker!
Slvr32gtr

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:02 pm

can you sue him for any physio etc that you'll need? ongoing treatment etc?
cp123

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:04 pm

cp123 wrote:can you sue him for any physio etc that you'll need? ongoing treatment etc?

Absolutely, that is what CTP is for.
InTheWoods

Postby zero » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:21 pm

jules21 wrote:
cowled wrote:Police were useless IMO. The driver admitted fault straight up, so they issued him with a ticket for "following too closely". They wouldn't take a statement from me after I got out of hospital, saying that the matter was finalised. I told them I had camera footage but they weren't interested. Told me to be happy that they found in my favour and take it up with the CTP insurer for my injuries. Real helpful bunch, the Queensland Police Service.

i know it sucks but that's as much as they can do - they can't find him 'more' guilty.

Yes, in the hurry to let the important motorist get about his business, they found the smallest 1 demerit point wristslap they could find to apply on the spot. The motorist should have been charged with fail to keep a safe distance when overtaking, twice, as he interfered with the line of the cyclist the first time he overtook, and that motorist should have been down 4 demerit points, not one. Its the kind of thing that would see me reading the riot act to the investigating officers superior.
zero

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:47 pm

But it is the cyclist's fault for being on the road. Motorist cannot wear the blame for risks that cyclists themselves choose to take. It would have been a minor fender bender if it was two cars involved so why should the driver be punished for the risk the cyclists took? The Jeep stayed within the lane and was not speeding so how can it be dangerous driving?

This is the attitude that cyclists face when expecting fair treatment on the roads. If you want justice you have to fight for it. :cry:
human909

Postby herzog » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 pm

Take it to the press. They love this stuff after the viral Jim's Mowing incident. That will embarass the stuffing out of the coppers for such a lame-arse response.
herzog

Postby jules21 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:58 pm

herzog wrote:Take it to the press. They love this stuff after the viral Jim's Mowing incident. That will embarass the stuffing out of the coppers for such a lame-arse response.

as painful as that footage is to watch, people really need to see it. if you were comfortable forwarding it to the media, i know they'll play it - they've asked me for footage and this is - forgive me for using the term - gold.

anything that helps avoid me and others becoming the next victim of idiots like this guy is worthwhile and i would be grateful.
jules21

Postby Lizzy » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Jeebus fire-truckin' Criminy I got a full adrenaline response watching that. Glad you lived to tell the tale, cowled, and "manifestly inadequate" is the best way I can describe the cops' 'following too closely' assessment. On a family forum at least.

Heal well & illegitimi non carborundum.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby trailgumby » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:18 pm

+1 to Jules and herzog.

Please also forward to the Queensland parliamentary enquiry. They really need to see this.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:45 pm

trailgumby wrote:+1 to Jules and herzog.

Please also forward to the Queensland parliamentary enquiry. They really need to see this.

Yeah, I was at the inquiry, crutches and all. In fact, Ben Wilson from BQ made mention of my case as an example of inappropriate enforcement by QPS.

I'm not sure how I feel about getting media involved. For starters, I have a healthy distrust of the TV stations in Brisbane. They all live on Mt Coot-tha and, hence, come into conflict with cyclists a lot. Can't trust them to be sympathetic to cyclists.

cowled

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:51 pm

Hard to spin that one too negatively mate. I am not too trustful and I would....
Percrime

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:07 pm

That video is horrific to watch, cowled. My thoughts go out to you as the injury you suffered (which I have suffered as well) is severe and a very long-term recovery. Bear up though, if you are young and the injury not too severe the femur can heal very well. I was gobsmacked when the doctor looked at the X-ray and said "Well, we normally cut off the hip here.... and fit an artificial hip" :shock: Gladly I was able to keep all of my bone, just titanium reinforced.

cp123 wrote:Either way it doesn't matter - you're still paying the price and will be for a loooong while i expect. it wasn't like a piddly broken wrist or similar....

Speaking as someone who has had both a broken wrist and a broke NOF, in separate cycling falls (no cars involved, both my own stupid fault) I can definitely say that the broken hip gives me far less trouble than the broken wrist, which has resulted in scar-adhesed tendons and a thumb that is very poorly mobile. My writing suffers considerably, not at all helpful for my career.

Try not to diss injuries on some percieved scale of severity :|
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:15 pm

Just had another look at Cowleds video. I call malicious intent as punishment for Cowled having the temerity to ride near and past such an important person. Maybe he didn't mean to actually clip but he DID mean to scare the good for the roses out of him. Absolutely no need to be so close with the next lane relatively clear.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:25 pm

cowled have you spoken to a lawyer yet? I'm guessing, seeing as you have issued a letter of demand you may have already spoken to a lawyer. If not, get on to a lawyer asap. Let them deal with claims. Also ask them about the charges against the driver.

My opinion, you want as much money in your pocket as is possible at the end of the legal process. Don't waste any money on the driver or police unless you want to go on a personal crusade to punish the driver unmercifully and try and make police charge future drivers to the fullest extent.

Don't apologise for your reactions from being hit. I would give that to my lawyer and make sure the volume is up full when they watched it. Give them a copy of your garmin reports for the accident. More importantly your lawyers can player the footage for his lawyers and there won't be any disputing whether you get a maximum payout or not. My lawyers practically did a dance when I logged on to my garmin reports at their office and they could see the data for my ride and watch my speeds in conjunction with google maps on garmin player. You could see my speed and ride just stop dead, and I guess yours will to.

I am still waiting for the accident report to be finished from my accident 3 weeks ago. I am very keen to see if the truck driver is charged at all, and if so what with. I don't have any great faith in the QLD police and their investigation in to the accident at the moment.

Again let your lawyers concentrate on doing their thing, and you just concentrate on getting healthy.

Mate, I feel for you.
briztoon

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:26 pm

cp123 wrote:can you sue him for any physio etc that you'll need? ongoing treatment etc?

That's what lawyers are for.
briztoon

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:30 pm

il padrone wrote:That video is horrific to watch, cowled. My thoughts go out to you as the injury you suffered (which I have suffered as well) is severe and a very long-term recovery. Bear up though, if you are young and the injury not too severe the femur can heal very well.

I can definitely say that the broken hip gives me far less trouble than the broken wrist :|

Il Padrone, I'm really glad to hear that this sort of injury can heal well. Gives me a bit of hope.

cowled

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:39 pm

Mulger bill wrote:Just had another look at Cowleds video. I call malicious intent as punishment for Cowled having the temerity to ride near and past such an important person. Maybe he didn't mean to actually clip but he DID mean to scare the good for the roses out of him. Absolutely no need to be so close with the next lane relatively clear.

Do you think the driver was trying to teach me a lesson?

You know, he told police that he had passed me at the previous set of lights. But, if you look at the footage, you can see that he never completed his overtaking manoeuvre. And, besides he did come a bit too close the first time.

Who's to say he wasn't trying to get a bit closer at the next set of lights?

Particularly after having read the police report, I have formed the view that the driver was aware I was in front of him, which means that he must have intended to buzz me.

cowled

Postby il padrone » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:48 pm

I can see no reason at all for the police not to throw a negligent driving charge at him. There was no reason for him to try to stay in the lane - he should be changing lanes to overtake, for the sake of safety FFS. There were no cars travelling in the lane alongside, and even if there were he should simply slow down then change lanes when there is space.

Today while riding home I have had two creeps do similar close shaves, for no other reason than laziness. In Italy this year when cycling we had precious few such actions, drivers simply knew how to drive and overtake with the suitable margin for safety - even on crowded roads or winding country mountain climbs. Most of the time the overtaking margin was 1.5 - 2m. The arrogance, stupidity, and yes, often blatant agression of such overtaking (in Australia) is a number one action that our police need to be crackng down on..... not washing their sh!tty hands of it.
Last edited by il padrone on Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:50 pm

briztoon wrote:cowled have you spoken to a lawyer yet? .

Briztoon, I've read the thread about your accident. Very sorry to hear that you got hurt so bad. Lucky to survive a hit from a truck. I certainly hope you recover fully.

As for myself, I have engaged Lawyers to deal with the property damage claim as well as the personal injury claim.

I still feel angry, however, and I feel as though the police rubbed salt into my wounds by treating the driver so softly. I know it would be punitive to pursue the police or the driver. This is what is giving me pause at the moment.

cowled

Postby briztoon » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:55 pm

cowled wrote:
trailgumby wrote:+1 to Jules and herzog.

Yeah, I was at the inquiry, crutches and all. In fact, Ben Wilson from BQ made mention of my case as an example of inappropriate enforcement by QPS.

I'm not sure how I feel about getting media involved. For starters, I have a healthy distrust of the TV stations in Brisbane. They all live on Mt Coot-tha and, hence, come into conflict with cyclists a lot. Can't trust them to be sympathetic to cyclists.

If I find that I want to take my accident, and the issue of motorists just getting a slap on the wrist for taking out cyclists, further, I am thinking of approaching Bicycle QLD, Safe Cycling Australia and a Politician. We need to find some one who will go in to bat for us. If it involves the media, well so be it. It would also take as many people as possible who have been in an accident with a vehicle at fault, or their families. I HATE doing things by mail. or email. I much prefer doing things face to face. If we had thirty or forty cycling accident victims who all feel the police did the minimum as possible and charges against the culprits to lenient, face to face with a parliament and play even half a dozen videos, I believe we could get the ball rolling.
briztoon

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:06 pm

cowled wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:Just had another look at Cowleds video. I call malicious intent as punishment for Cowled having the temerity to ride near and past such an important person. Maybe he didn't mean to actually clip but he DID mean to scare the good for the roses out of him. Absolutely no need to be so close with the next lane relatively clear.

Do you think the driver was trying to teach me a lesson?

You know, he told police that he had passed me at the previous set of lights. But, if you look at the footage, you can see that he never completed his overtaking manoeuvre. And, besides he did come a bit too close the first time.

Who's to say he wasn't trying to get a bit closer at the next set of lights?

Particularly after having read the police report, I have formed the view that the driver was aware I was in front of him, which means that he must have intended to buzz me.

Yes I do, one hand on heart and the other clutching a copy of the collected works of Sheldon. Jerk is a menace to anyone not driving a land whale.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby stretts » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:09 pm

That was literally the scariest bike video I have watched on youtube. I had a car pass me real close this morning and am reconsidering my route after watching that :S
stretts

Postby Percrime » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:12 pm

Cowled.. I have had a smashed hip too. And I,m still racing D grade..and Masters 5. And winning the odd thing. Just so you know.
Percrime

Postby cowled » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:13 pm

briztoon wrote:
I am thinking of approaching Bicycle QLD, Safe Cycling Australia and a Politician. We need to find some one who will go in to bat for us. If it involves the media, well so be it. It would also take as many people as possible who have been in an accident with a vehicle at fault, or their families. I HATE doing things by mail. or email. I much prefer doing things face to face. If we had thirty or forty cycling accident victims who all feel the police did the minimum as possible and charges against the culprits to lenient, face to face with a parliament and play even half a dozen videos, I believe we could get the ball rolling.

You know, BQ have all the details of BQ members that have been injured. I know that they are working behind the scenes with the state govt, so it is likely that they are already doing something.

Of course, if you get 30 or 40 injured cyclists together, you will get a range of views on what should be done.

Perhaps, BQ could facilitate something. I would be open to the idea of telling my story in a group action if I thought it might actually change the way the QPS handles incidents where cyclists are placed in danger.

cowled

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion