Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Percrime » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:13 pm

Watched some one slowly overtake me, drift into the bike lane around the corner then slowly pull away at 37 kph on Kew bouli with 11 cars stuck behind it It bought back memories of my last trip over the Spur. I didn't even know Penny R owned a Magna. THen at Bulleen Road watched a bloke just stop short of the lights in the RH lane in peak hour traffic. flick the left indicator on. Wait till it was clear. Then turn left across 3 lanes into the turn lane and onto the freeway
Percrime

by BNA » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

BNA

Postby London Boy » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:55 pm

cowled wrote:
jasonc wrote: :shock:
what did the police say?
did anyone stop and help?
injuries?
bike?

I wrote a little bit about it to go with the YouTube video. But I guess I can elaborate on here.

I never spoke to police at the scene because I got whisked away by the ambulance. A lot of people stopped to assist me. Even had a doctor and a first aider help to keep me calm. Had a lot of pain in my right hip. Turned out to be a compound fracture of my right femur near the neck of the femur. Took 7hrs of surgery to fix the break. I now have a titanium thigh.

As for the bike, my LBS assessed it as a write off. Still waiting for the driver to respond to a demand for replacing property damage.

Police were useless IMO. The driver admitted fault straight up, so they issued him with a ticket for "following too closely". They wouldn't take a statement from me after I got out of hospital, saying that the matter was finalised. I told them I had camera footage but they weren't interested. Told me to be happy that they found in my favour and take it up with the CTP insurer for my injuries. Real helpful bunch, the Queensland Police Service.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Write to Ethical Standards, copy to Commissioner Stewart. Ask if it is Queensland Police policy not to prosecute for dangerous driving. You got a lawyer engaged to sue the driver?
London Boy

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:00 pm

With thoughts on Cowleds' recent 'tussle' and ongoing dramas. I was thinking this could be me.
Not quite as close obviously! but if I'd reached out, I would have touched the farquar.

BianchiCam

Postby cowled » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:17 pm

London Boy wrote:Write to Ethical Standards, copy to Commissioner Stewart. Ask if it is Queensland Police policy not to prosecute for dangerous driving. You got a lawyer engaged to sue the driver?

Have written to the commissioner. Even tried hand delivering the letter. Embarrased to find out it was a wasted effort. Had to post the letter after all.

Have Lawyers engaged to handle the personal injury claim as well as the property damage claim.

cowled

Postby cowled » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:21 pm

BianchiCam wrote:With thoughts on Cowleds' recent 'tussle' and ongoing dramas. I was thinking this could be me.
Not quite as close obviously! but if I'd reached out, I would have touched the farquar.

I like your video editing skills, bianchicam. I couldn't figure out how to do it. What is really sad about your video is the truck driver could have moved over without too much effort.

Do you contact the companies?

cowled

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:43 pm

I have indeed. I will follow up.
ps I am using wondershare. not free but easy to use and you get the hang of things quickly.
Best of luck to you matey. I have posted on my FB under public.
Suggest everyone does the same.

This is my letter

I am sending you this email and link regarding what I deem an extremely dangerous piece of driving by a truck bearing your business name this morning on my way to work.

Please could you educate your drivers to give more space to cyclists.
The situation could easily have ended very badly.

After barely passing me, the driver turned left onto Nepean Hwy not less than 100m further down the road

Craigie Rd in this school area is also a 60kph zone. Whilst I cannot determine exact speed, it seems the driver was going at a fair clip.
He would have seen me and my bike lights from quite a distance.
The white car managed to pass quite safely, so to have a truck with reaching distance was a major shock.

Regards,

Cameron

This footage shows just how badly a ‘close shave"’ can end. Skip to 1.25
http://youtu.be/1-D_o6ZoJEk
BianchiCam

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:59 am

jack11 wrote:Wow cowled i've seen your video and read your story and wow! best of luck with the recovery.

Hopefully your story and video becomes a powerful tool for educating all road users be that cyclists or drivers on how important sharing the road network is and how much damage can be done if we dont.

unless you pursue this as far and as aggressively as you can, footage such as this becomes just another video. Like thousands of other videos it will be forgotten in a few days. It won't be used as it should to facilitate change and help ensure this doesn't happen again in a week to someone else. And the thread merely continues without end.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby human909 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:22 am

The 2nd Womble wrote:unless you pursue this as far and as aggressively as you can, footage such as this becomes just another video. Like thousands of other videos it will be forgotten in a few days. It won't be used as it should to facilitate change and help ensure this doesn't happen again in a week to someone else. And the thread merely continues without end.

Agreed. Video is a powerful tool. So is your advocacy womble. Well done again.
human909

Postby The 2nd Womble » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:47 am

Thanks H.
The only good Cyclist is a Bicyclist

Huge fan of booted RGers who just can't help themselves
The 2nd Womble

Postby Ross » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:52 pm

Believe it or not I went for 173km ride today with no MM encounters. :shock: Tradies and even SUV drivers were stopping at intersections for me and waving me through and even giving me a thumbs up! :!: :)
Ross

Postby trailgumby » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:09 pm

Ross wrote:Believe it or not I went for 173km ride today with no MM encounters. :shock: Tradies and even SUV drivers were stopping at intersections for me and waving me through and even giving me a thumbs up! :!: :)

Must be the illuminated red nose and oversized shoes. :mrgreen: Image

Actually, no I don't believe it. :wink:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Kraeg » Sat Sep 07, 2013 5:46 pm

Could have been because they were some of the 14.7 million Aussies going somewhere they weren't in a rush to get to for once.
Kraeg

Postby BianchiCam » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:49 pm

Ha ha! QFT!
BianchiCam

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 10:27 pm

Kraeg wrote:Could have been because they were some of the 14.7 million Aussies going somewhere they weren't in a rush to get to for once.

:lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby herzog » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:55 pm

This one just showed up on my Youtube feed:

herzog

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:51 pm

herzog wrote:This one just showed up on my Youtube feed:

Do people just not get what that pedal in the middle is for? :roll:
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:10 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Do people just not get what that pedal in the middle is for? :roll:

Of course they do, it's the submissive pedal, using it goes against their personal mindset, especially in the illustratred example of Very Large Truck vs Small Insignificant Moto.
Why do you think the Fraud Terroriser and its ilk are so popular?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:17 pm

But, my experience with cycling in Europe was that this sort of thing was scarce as teats on a bull.

What exactly is it about drivers in Anglo countries that produces such rabid behaviour ???
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:32 pm

Wider roads and bigger vehicles?
Growing up with bikes? Including NOT being driven 900m to school in mums monster truck...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:36 pm

But Pommieland ?? Their road conditions are not that much different to Europe.

:?
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:23 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
herzog wrote:This one just showed up on my Youtube feed:

Do people just not get what that pedal in the middle is for? :roll:

The clutch? :lol: :lol: :P
Lukeyboy

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:03 pm

Not even the clutch or brake that you need to really bother with too much. Just.....

il padrone

Postby rogan » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:54 pm

Two things I don't get. Why do people drive like idiots when they know they are going to pull up or park just up the road? Also, why do they abuse cyclists from vehicles with their employer's name on the side/back?

Had both this weekend.

The first (dark green commodore, flanno shirt, stereotype) was invited to watch out for bogans, because they are flocking everywhere (or words to that effect).

The second was dobbed into the boss, who seems like a reasonable chap (but who knows if anything will happen?). Certainly if it was my business, even if I thought cyclists were road rats, I would not want my employees actually abusing them from my work vehicle. Could be bad for business...
rogan

Postby jules21 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:01 pm

rogan wrote:Two things I don't get. Why do people drive like idiots when they know they are going to pull up or park just up the road?

saw a mercedes driver do this yesterday. lines up in the LH lane at the lights. guns it to get ahead of driver next to him and cuts in front ahead of parked cars on other side of intersection - only to slam the anchors on and pull into the servo. driver behind justifiably gave him a long horn blast. what height have these idiots fallen from onto their heads to fail to see the pointlessness of this sort of thing?
jules21

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:08 pm

jules21 wrote:guns it to get ahead of driver next to him and cuts in front ahead of parked cars on other side of intersection - only to slam the anchors on and pull into the servo. driver behind justifiably gave him a long horn blast.

Not for one minute excusing our Mercedes driver from what he did, but.....

The other driver evidently made a choice to stay close to the Merc rather than back off the gas when the cut-in became apparent. And secondly, the horn is a warning device, not a device for road user-abuse. Both drivers' actions were reprehensible I reckon. Safe driving practices go out the window when the flag drops at the lights :roll:
il padrone

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion