Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:55 pm

Only if he knows why.

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

by BNA » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

BNA

Postby kunama » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 pm

No benefit loading him up with crappy jobs if he doesn't know why !
kunama

Postby il padrone » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:59 pm

Now you've got two options - let him know first, then give him all the crap jobs; or give him lots of crap jobs then let him know once he comes complaining :twisted:

Of course either way you might line yourself up with a workplace discrimination complaint. Does this subordinate have any driving responsibilities as part of his job? Send him off to a driver safety re-education course. All part of your OH&S obligations :wink:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby warthog1 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:22 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Here's another session of uncomfortable viewing:

The driving in those videos is depressing :x
The full volume verbal spray he gives some of the culprits is uplifting though :)
warthog1

Postby AKO » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:29 pm

il padrone wrote:Of course either way you might line yourself up with a workplace discrimination complaint.

This is my dilemma. I have a few days to mull it over. I have herniated a disc in my lower back, again so won't be going back to work for a couple of weeks. :evil:
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:36 pm

AKO wrote:I'm still not sure how to approach the situation. Do I chat him about his driving "I don't think he knows it was me, or that he's aware he did anything wrong" or do I just allocate him the Lions share of the cruddy jobs? The weather is warming up. Maybe a week of in pit dozer and digger services will do him good.

First thing Monday detail the string of horrible jobs you have lined up for him while leaning on your bars wearing the same kit you wore on the day...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby ldrcycles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:16 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Here's another session of uncomfortable viewing:

[/quote]

That is just stressful watching that, god knows how he manages to deal with it in person. I know if I was copping that much nonsense I would give up riding, no question.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby AKO » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
AKO wrote:I'm still not sure how to approach the situation. Do I chat him about his driving "I don't think he knows it was me, or that he's aware he did anything wrong" or do I just allocate him the Lions share of the cruddy jobs? The weather is warming up. Maybe a week of in pit dozer and digger services will do him good.

First thing Monday detail the string of horrible jobs you have lined up for him while leaning on your bars wearing the same kit you wore on the day...

Yeah, not on a mine site lol.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:08 pm

The only difference between some of CycleGaz's videos and Cowled's is a few mm.

And notice that in many cases he was claiming the lane, yet still highly endangered, claiming helps sort out the careless but not the aggresive :(

Here's some more Brisbane morons:

Next time someone starts complaining about cyclists always going through red lights, point them 15 seconds into the above, where a car runs a totally red light but the bicycle stops :)

Edit... what was with that ute going the wrong way at the end? How did he get in that position? Not another bad intersection design is it? Looks like its from over near the airport somewhere but I don't know where.
InTheWoods

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Airport flyover. Traffic going towards Toombul-AirportLink go straight while turning traffic takes a long right turn onto the old Gateway. More than likely he went on the Northbound Gateway turn off but wanted to go straight ahead and used the Gateway to Airport section of road as a mean to get back onto the thru section of road.

Each direction of road has its own light cycle. Heading west right turn and thru light go at once. Then its Eastbound thru to AP and right turn to Gateway. Followed by Northbound Gateway exit right turn to airport/left turn to Toombul. Before the last light cycle Gateway Southbound exit left turn to Airport and right turn to Toombul.
Lukeyboy

Postby CatCanRide » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:33 pm

Came Across this on the Vic Police Website. When you are this dumb after drinking it's almost enough to put me completely off alcohol.

http://vicpolicenews.com.au/news/1428-e ... e-lot.html

Eltham man gets hamburger with the lot.

Friday, 20 September 2013 21:39
Print
Email

An Eltham man faces a number of charges after being picked up for drink driving twice in five hours, evading police and driving an unregistered car last night.

The sorry saga started in Research when the 34-year-old man was intercepted by police driving an unregistered car on a suspended driver’s licence at 4.20pm.

The man was taken to the Eltham police station where he underwent a breath test which resulted in a reading of 0.197%.

The man was instructed to remain at the station while police arranged overnight accommodation for him and to get some of his belongings out of his car.

After the attending police left, the man slipped out of the station and made his way back to his car which he drove away.

Police were parked outside the man’s address, making inquiries with his family, when he drove into the street around 9.15pm.

On seeing the police vehicle, the man reversed his car and took off, driving away along Long Valley Way.

Police intercepted the man for the second time and conveyed him back to the Eltham police station where he underwent another breath test which resulted in a reading of 0.231%.

The man is expected to be charged on summons with drink driving, driving on a suspended licence, driving an unregistered car, evade police and failing to obey a lawful instruction by a police officer.

The man’s car will also be impounded under the evade police legislation.
CatCanRide

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:51 pm

CatCanRide wrote:Came Across this on the Vic Police Website.

Wow...

CatCanRide wrote:The man is expected to be charged with ... and failing to obey a lawful instruction by a police officer.

Sorry for going OT here but what does this mean? Hypothetically if you are riding and a police car gets on the loud hailer and tells you to do something like move further left (eg claiming a lane) or stop riding 2 abreast or something ... do you have to do it? What makes a "lawful instruction"? Edit: obviously this is without the blues and twos going, in which case you would do everything to get out of the way.
Last edited by InTheWoods on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
InTheWoods

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:53 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Sorry for going OT here but what does this mean? Hypothetically if you are riding and a police car gets on the loud hailer and tells you to do something like move further left (eg claiming a lane) or stop riding 2 abreast or something ... do you have to do it? What makes a "lawful instruction"?

"pay me $50 and we'll consider the mater settled" is an unlawful instruction :)
jules21

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:30 pm

jasonc wrote:
bychosis wrote:So I'm driving down the road and there is a motorbike reversing down the other side toward me... Oh wait...

Numb nuts has tinted his headlights RED.

:roll:
Is that our weekly winner?

If he's not the winner, he's certainly made the Grand Final... It's incredible that some people make it to adulthood...
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Postby nezumi » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:39 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
CatCanRide wrote:The man is expected to be charged with ... and failing to obey a lawful instruction by a police officer.

Sorry for going OT here but what does this mean? Hypothetically if you are riding and a police car gets on the loud hailer and tells you to do something like move further left (eg claiming a lane) or stop riding 2 abreast or something ... do you have to do it? What makes a "lawful instruction"? Edit: obviously this is without the blues and twos going, in which case you would do everything to get out of the way.

The lawful instruction was for him to remain at the station. If you are complying with the laws as they stand, police shouldn't be able to compel you to do something different. (My own take, IANAL, etc)
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby JohnJoyner » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Rhubarb wrote:This is NOT my video. This is from CycleGaz in London. I post it here because it fits under the category of this thread perfectly and also gives an appreciation of cycling in other cities.

Most of my commute is on bikepaths and backstreets. The forays I need to make on busy roads have bike lanes or decent shoulders. On the 1 exception to this, I ride the footpath for a few hundred meters.

Watch this (or any one of the similar London commuter video channels) and tell me how you'd feel getting squeezed into some very skinny shoulders / bike lanes with hard gutters.

I have lived in London, wasn't a cyclist at the time, but the roads/lanes are tiny... I love riding my bike, but no way would I be on those roads on my bike. Those drivers lack of skills, care, attention are just plain frightening.
Focus Cayo 2.0 (2011) | Trek 7.5Fx (2007)
JohnJoyner

Postby il padrone » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:59 pm

JohnJoyner wrote:I have lived in London, wasn't a cyclist at the time, but the roads/lanes are tiny... I love riding my bike, but no way would I be on those roads on my bike. Those drivers lack of skills, care, attention are just plain frightening.

These days there are a lot more cyclists on London's streets. THeir congestion charge has played a huge role, together with the publicity of the 'Boris-bikes' and Boris himself. I believe that 10% of commuter journeys are by bike. Puts Australian cities (with 2-3% being regarded as very good) to shame.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby herzog » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:14 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Here's some more Brisbane morons:

What's going ON in Queensland?
herzog

Postby ningnangnong » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:16 pm

Finally (unfortunately) have an experience worth sharing in this thread.

Riding down Memorial Drive, Bar Beach (Newcastle), doing roughly 55-60km/h as it's reasonably steep. I'm smack bang in the middle of the lane, and some fool turning right out of Parkway Avenue pulls out when I'm about 15-20 metres away.

I can't remember if I hit both brakes, but I think it was only the front I managed to get on - anyway, could feel the back of bike starting to slide out (does that sound right? I'm not sure of the physics and all, but that's what it felt like), so I let go and managed to squeeze through between the gutter and the side of his car. Thought I was heading for the deck TBH. The thing is, rather than pulling out and accelerating, the moron must've finally seen me, panicked and decided to stop on an angle across the lane FFS... probably the worst thing he could've done.

Looked inside as I squeezed past and he's sitting there with a gormless look on his face, probably not even realising how close I came to slamming into his car. I don't have a camera, but this incident pretty much means I'll be investing in one now.

I've had close calls before, but this was a whole new level.
ningnangnong

Postby jules21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:25 pm

ningnangnong wrote:I've had close calls before, but this was a whole new level.

that's terrible but i'd recommend not doing that speed past cars waiting to turn across your path, although sometimes it's too late to do anything about it by the time you spot the danger.
jules21

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:29 pm

herzog wrote:

Lukeyboy

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:02 pm

BianchiCam

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:38 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:
herzog wrote:

Yea that's pretty much Queensland in a nutshell :lol: .
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby jasonc » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:22 pm

thankfully this one didn't affect me. But a white ute with twinspectors written on the side does a burnout on the fig tree pocket onramp.
great advertising guys
http://www.twinspectors.com.au
jasonc

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:41 pm

InTheWoods wrote:

The keyword is lawful instruction, it is legal to ride 2 abreast, so in that example telling you not to would not be a lawful instruction IMO.
ldrcycles

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion