Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 pm

it looks like a cowboy operation. there are some trucking companies run very professionally, and there are others run by people who think they are outlaws. they were accredited under a scheme which supposedly meant they had a best practice truck maintenance regime in place. it seems it was anything but that. hard to believe it was all a big mistake - seems they were knowingly and deliberately taking everyone for a ride - so to speak.
jules21

by BNA » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 pm

BNA

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:24 pm

jules21 wrote:it looks like a cowboy operation. there are some trucking companies run very professionally, and there are others run by people who think they are outlaws. they were accredited under a scheme which supposedly meant they had a best practice truck maintenance regime in place. it seems it was anything but that. hard to believe it was all a big mistake - seems they were knowingly and deliberately taking everyone for a ride - so to speak.

Without a doubt. It seems that Karma has caught up with Mr Vin Stenta and co.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Wakatuki » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:32 am

Only a few nutters on the road this weekend to taint a great coastal ride. The roads were busy with cyclists out in bunches, a car ahead pulled up and double parked forcing a quick decision for Pam and I. I shoulder checked stuck right arm out but the car kept coming and was not prepared to share (women in SUV with child seats), Pam who is used to me tail gunning for her in busy situations did not realise I had been forced to yield and survive! Pulled out to go around double park fortunately SUV braked, all this in a 40 zone with people and crossings EVERWHERE. We were doing 25-28kph on average, driver then slowed to yell abuse across younger child in front seat at Pam, slowed so much I nearly hit the back of her car a following cyclist watched it all. I shouted “forget (or simular) you” and pointed (knee jerk, sorry kiddies), which received a cheer from the other cyclist who commented they are unbelievable aren’t they. So I created this MEME just for her!
The other idiot in a white panel truck (7.5tonne ish) who decided despite being legally allowed to overtake on a straight and clear of traffic road thought it would be fun to wind buzz a pair of cyclists.
On a positive many thanks to the two cyclists who helped us to find our destination of Gympie Terrace by riding very slow on the final leg of their ride, you were right RAW ENERGY was a great feeding post!
Wakatuki

Postby cp123 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:57 am

Flynn Drive roundabout Canberra

:evil: I was zooming down Flynn Drive towards the rdbt (at the corner of Lennox Gardens for locals). I had a clear run so was gunning it down the hill to go straight through. Mind you - after a couple of near misses from cars on my left (those coming out of Alexandrina Drive who often MGIF) i have a heightened sense of expecting the worst there.

So there I was approaching the rdbt and saw a fast oncoming silver sports type car on my left. I know he should've given way to me that i'm already in the rdbt but i got a strong vibe that he wasn't going to stop. One - he was too fast and 2 by now he was avoiding my gaze. So as it almost came to the crunch I grabbed my brakes and though holllley sheeeeet and this duckhead MGIFed me and swung left onto the street i was about to enter. It was a middle aged business man who avoided my gaze deliberately. So while his window was down I Roared at him "BLOODY LOOOOOOKOUTTT" and he zoomed away.

it was a low slung silver sports car rego number XXF or XFF something..... too bad i didn't have a front camera on...... :evil: Almost a change my shorts moment. :shock: I'd bet my bottom that it's a yarralumla resident. maybe i should go cruising that way some time.... :twisted:
cp123

Postby Ignoto » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:34 pm

Probably up there for the Moron of the year awards. Video's himself failing to stop for a breathalyzer, speeding and running from the cops.

Ignoto

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:54 pm

So very good to see such a jumped-up jerk get his come-uppance.... and he was not so happy :P Hope the charges were nice.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 pm

Ignoto wrote:Probably up there for the Moron of the year awards. Video's himself failing to stop for a breathalyzer, speeding and running from the cops.

He's real smart...
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby stretts » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:47 pm

So this is probably my first 'holy showtime how am I alive' moment on the bike after about a year of commuting to work and uni. I guess the driver didn't see me till the last second and braked heavily. I looked back to see him stationery where we almost collided, didn't even think of going back to say something as I was in a bit of shock, even forgot to pedal for a good 50m. Got the number plate and on the front of the truck it had 'apg' so I'm attempting to find out what company it might be.

stretts

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:57 pm

Hi, a scary moment for sure. However I notice the sun at your back. Quite plausible that the driver may have had the sun in his eyes and missed seeing you due to dazzle effects. Especially risky as you seem to be riding through tree shade. Ride wider and stay in the line of sight drivers are likely to take.

No excuses of course, just some tips for you in future.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby herzog » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:58 pm

Appalling smidsy, no doubt.

One roadcraft observation here is that you could have ridden a bit further out from the kerb to improve visibility (of you). It looks like you may have been obscured by the shadows from the trees.
herzog

Postby stretts » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:59 pm

I agree guys, thanks for the tips - most probably was the case here
stretts

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:19 pm

Ignoto wrote:Probably up there for the Moron of the year awards. Video's himself failing to stop for a breathalyzer, speeding and running from the cops.

Forget a special kind of stupid, that's a spectacular kind.

Puts my latest into perspective, a bloke in a Landcruiser who decided to overtake a car in a 100 zone while I was coming in the other direction. The road was a decent one but nowehere near wide enough for that to be safe.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Paul B » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:41 pm

WOW... How can anyone be that ignorant ?
Paul B

Postby Thrilloilogy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:14 pm

All my moron motorist situations seem to be tow truck drivers. The latest one today was a flat bed reversing out of Pittwater Rd onto Epping Rd through the left turn from Epping Rd onto Pittwater Rd. I thought they were meant to clear accidents, not create them.
Thrilloilogy

Postby il padrone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:59 pm

Towies are a law unto themselves. Ever it has been thus :roll:
il padrone

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:31 pm

Thrilloilogy wrote:All my moron motorist situations seem to be tow truck drivers. The latest one today was a flat bed reversing out of Pittwater Rd onto Epping Rd through the left turn from Epping Rd onto Pittwater Rd. I thought they were meant to clear accidents, not create them.

No bent cars, no business, no food on the table.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:38 pm

stretts wrote:So this is probably my first 'holy showtime how am I alive' moment on the bike after about a year of commuting to work and uni. I guess the driver didn't see me till the last second and braked heavily. I looked back to see him stationery where we almost collided, didn't even think of going back to say something as I was in a bit of shock, even forgot to pedal for a good 50m. Got the number plate and on the front of the truck it had 'apg' so I'm attempting to find out what company it might be.

Alex, that was one hell of a brown pants moment! Very glad that you didn't get hit. What a total nob of a truck driver! Sunshine and excellent visibility. Absolutely no excuses for such a move.
cowled

Postby jules21 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:43 pm

stretts wrote:

did the driver pull away at the last minute there?

that's highly negligent driving either way. if you have his rego, that's all you need
jules21

Postby ironhanglider » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:46 pm

cowled wrote:
stretts wrote:So this is probably my first 'holy showtime how am I alive' moment on the bike after about a year of commuting to work and uni. I guess the driver didn't see me till the last second and braked heavily. I looked back to see him stationery where we almost collided, didn't even think of going back to say something as I was in a bit of shock, even forgot to pedal for a good 50m. Got the number plate and on the front of the truck it had 'apg' so I'm attempting to find out what company it might be.

Alex, that was one hell of a brown pants moment! Very glad that you didn't get hit. What a total nob of a truck driver! Sunshine and excellent visibility. Absolutely no excuses for such a move.

The length of the shadows suggest that it wasn't excellent visibility looking in the other direction, not that it exonerates the driver though.

Cheers,

Cameron
ironhanglider

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:58 pm

ironhanglider wrote:The length of the shadows suggest that it wasn't excellent visibility looking in the other direction, not that it exonerates the driver though.

Cheers,

Cameron

I'm inclined to agree - the driver had the internal sunshields down and you passed through shadows under trees just before the intersection.

Alex, the advice to ride wider is good. Drivers look for and expect to see cars. You need to be where the cars are. Riding to the left - even only a metre - means they may not see you.

This is an interesting test that really brings home why:
1: Stand in front of a parked car, 10-15 metres distant.
2: Centre your vision one car-width to the side (either side)
3: With your vision still centred there, try reading the number plate aloud

You'll fail.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 pm

Aushiker wrote:Reading about Cootes Transport (International Energy Services) on the ABC reminded me about my experiences with International Energy Services and another cyclists experience with same. The related videos are below and the two blog posts which provide the background can be found on my blog at http://aushiker.com/international-energy-services/ and http://aushiker.com/international-energy-services-3/ . International Energy Services transport Shell Australia fuel at least in WA.

My video:

sarebelle's video

Has anyone else had experiences involving International Energy Services/Cootes trucks?

Regards
Andrew

I didn't make the connection - doesn;t surprise.

This Mona Vale Road incident happened just outside my wife's work. Fortunately she'd left just before it happened but she was telling me a lot of staff required counselling the following day.

The problem is with these major petrol companies is they're trying to cut costs to the absolute bone. So the contracts get awarded to the cheapest operator. A lot of these operators run old trucks on absolute minimum maintenance, often not recovering depreciation expense because the trucks are fully written down.

The good news is when they have to invest in new kit after the truck finally dies, they start losing money because they can't get the (often significant) price rises they need to stay in business, and then they go bust.

So given the number of defect tickets issued it is obvious there is a serious problem with corner cutting in that operation and the "safety" focus is just lip service and there is no real safety culture. Those close passes are perfectly consistent behaviour.

Andrew, I reckon a letter from you to Shell is a logical next step, along with links to those videos.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby cowled » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:38 pm

ironhanglider wrote:
cowled wrote:Alex, that was one hell of a brown pants moment! Very glad that you didn't get hit. What a total nob of a truck driver! Sunshine and excellent visibility. Absolutely no excuses for such a move.

The length of the shadows suggest that it wasn't excellent visibility looking in the other direction, not that it exonerates the driver though.

Cheers,

Cameron

Yeah, ok. So maybe not perfect conditions. A little glare on the windscreen perhaps. All the more reason to be extra careful IMO. I still think there is absolutely no excuse for the truck driver.
cowled

Postby dmwill » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:44 pm

Looking at his other videos, I think he has too much tin foil hat too.
dmwill

Postby Aushiker » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:13 pm

trailgumby wrote:Andrew, I reckon a letter from you to Shell is a logical next step, along with links to those videos.

I never wrote to Shell Australia but did raise these issues on their Facebook page and said they would look into it. That was the last I heard from them. Reminded them again today via Twitter (and the ABC) :)

Shell Australia put out this press release today ...

Shell Australia continues to work closely with fuel transport providers, including Cootes, to manage deliveries and minimise the impact on customers.

The company is confident that customers will see normal fuel availability at Shell service stations in New South Wales and Western Australia.

Customers in Victoria, south east Queensland and Adelaide may see some temporary periods of fuel unavailability at a small number of Shell service stations until fresh deliveries are made.

Fuel deliveries continue to be made across the nation, and will progressively increase over the course of this week as Cootes Transport trucks are returned to service following inspections.

Shell continues to actively monitor stock levels and is prioritising deliveries of fuel to sites where it is most needed.

Safety remains Shell’s number one priority, and the company apologises to customers for any inconvenience caused.

Gave me an opportunity to point out again that they had failed to act ... Ignored of course.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby g-boaf » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:04 am

Good grief that was close! I thought it was going to end in a huge crash. I think he was probably as scared and shocked as you were by the sounds of it. :shock:
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion