Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby stretts » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:00 pm

cowled wrote:Btw, if anyone on this forum is also a regular on Adelaide Cyclists, can you please get the word out on that forum? It would be great if we could find out who the cyclists are in the video. No doubt, they got a hell of a fright when that truck passed them. It looked to me as though the truck pulled back in a bit early, so I'm sure the trailer must have been a whisker away from hitting them. I have a copy of the footage in case the uploader pulls it and the police need to view it (thanks tbohl).

Posted on Adelaidecyclists Craig
stretts

by BNA » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:40 pm

BNA

Postby cowled » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:40 pm

stretts wrote:
Posted on Adelaidecyclists Craig

Thanks, stretts.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
cowled

Postby Coolabah » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Tomca74 wrote:
A driver nearly runs over me with his back tyres, so I whack the car as his passenger abuses me.
The car swerves away from me enough to make a safe space.
The passenger then commits a serious assault on me.
If it was my Friday night door, he would have been taken to ground and received serious soft tissue damage to the shoulder area. I think they got off super lightly, easy fix to the car. No one needs to heal as the saliva only got my arm and leg. If he got my face, there would have been a piece in the news about hthe serious assault he received in return.
To help keep your feelings warm and fuzzy, I have purchased a camera and mounted it to my helmet hoping just the visual of a camera deters further bad behavior. Failing that, I should have some good road rage video for the forum in the near future. :wink:

Glad you were Ok. So you are a bouncer ? I used to work near the Cross for many years but that was a very long time ago. The best head of security I ever met was a lady who was probably 5 foot two at best and could defuse any situation verbally without risk of escalating it further. I have no idea if she could fight but she never needed to .Pure poetry.
Coolabah

Postby herzog » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:01 pm

herzog

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 am

human909 wrote:Breaking car mirrors, pouring water on occupants or deliberately denting cars are far worse infractions than running red lights in empty intersections. Yet some seem to justify the former and condemn the latter. (Just pointing this out.)

I don't condone the former, but I can understand it and have been in situations were I have wished to take such actions.

The fact is that there is a problem here. Cyclists' lives are often being deliberately and wilfully put in danger and they usually get little or no support from the authorities. It is little wonder that many feel the need to take moderate justice themselves.

I am with you on this one - no road rage is justified...
Last edited by Gordonhooker on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:01 am

Well, it seems I am a regular poster here and don't want to disappoint, sooooooo

http://youtu.be/jZtpT29b-nc
BianchiCam

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 am

BianchiCam wrote:Well, it seems I am a regular poster here and don't want to disappoint, sooooooo

http://youtu.be/jZtpT29b-nc

I gather you are reporting that one?
jasonc

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:54 am

Not yet. I've had worse on that roundabout and always check for such numpties. After reading of others and the pathetic response from our boys in blue, I'm not sure id want to waste my time.
Thoughts?
BianchiCam

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:57 am

BianchiCam wrote:Not yet. I've had worse on that roundabout and always check for such numpties. After reading of others and the pathetic response from our boys in blue, I'm not sure id want to waste my time.
Thoughts?

I think that's what the police want. If we stop reporting them, then they have more time to go and catch speeding drivers killing kittens or something
jasonc

Postby hannos » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:25 am

BianchiCam wrote:Not yet. I've had worse on that roundabout and always check for such numpties. After reading of others and the pathetic response from our boys in blue, I'm not sure id want to waste my time.
Thoughts?

Report it (That's a clear case of failing to give way) and make sure they give you an incident number. If they refuse you can always make a complaint to a higher authority, and I don't mean the station manager.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby cowled » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:23 pm

cowled wrote:I just saw this on youtube. Some guy by the nic of Tomek K uploads footage from his dashcam which captures a very dangerous overtake by a dump truck passing two cyclists. This needs to be reported to police. Anyone in Adelaide have any idea who the cyclists might be or where this might have occurred? The video has a date and time stamp, so looks like it happened yesterday (Saturday) at about 9:30am.

I can't make out the registration plates but the signage on the truck reads Garden Grove 8251 1111 (I think).

This guy needs to be charged with "overtaking when not safe to do so" at the very least. I'd push for "driving with undue care and attention".

http://youtu.be/MUm_EuFbJ4M

Edit: Yep, found their website at http://www.gardengrove.com.au and their number is definitely 08 8251 1111. Email is [email protected] . Time to hit them with a few emails. Btw, does anyone know how to download video from YouTube? It would be a good idea to have a copy in case the uploader pulls the video.

Have sent an email off to the SA director of public prosecutions. Made a note of the fact that Garden Grove trucks seem to be repeat offenders based on chatter on the Adelaide Cyclists forum.

It wouldn't hurt if more people sent the DPP an email. It might prompt them to proactively investigate and charge the driver of the truck even in the absence of a complaint by the actual cyclists themselves.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk [url='http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10']now Free[/url]
cowled

Postby Ross » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:30 pm

herzog wrote:

I saw a cyclist run into a taxi. Looked to me like he ran into the taxi deliberately to prove a point. I don't expect many people will agree with me but that's my take on it.

Also the cyclist that was doing the filming was riding like a numpty as well. only a matter of time before he gets seriously hurt or worse. He should of waited behind the line of cars rather than weave in and out of them just to get to the head of the queue.
Ross

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 pm

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/by ... 6739292623

Note the charge the driver was issued with (the right charge). But he didn't hurt a single person. But if you cut too close to (or hit) a cyclist, that's ok.
InTheWoods

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:31 pm

Ross wrote:
herzog wrote:

I saw a cyclist run into a taxi. Looked to me like he ran into the taxi deliberately to prove a point. I don't expect many people will agree with me but that's my take on it.

Also the cyclist that was doing the filming was riding like a numpty as well. only a matter of time before he gets seriously hurt or worse. He should of waited behind the line of cars rather than weave in and out of them just to get to the head of the queue.

I don't know you may be right Ross but I don't think the poor bugger really had anywhere to go... notice the taxi gives him a bit of a bump up the rear as the rider moves on as well. You may be right I don't I would argue it either way.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby jasonc » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:
Ross wrote:I saw a cyclist run into a taxi. Looked to me like he ran into the taxi deliberately to prove a point. I don't expect many people will agree with me but that's my take on it.

I don't know you may be right Ross but I don't think the poor bugger really had anywhere to go... notice the taxi gives him a bit of a bump up the rear as the rider moves on as well. You may be right I don't I would argue it either way.

agree looks like the cyclist did it on purpose. doesn't make the taxi driver any less at fault.
jasonc

Postby queequeg » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Had my own MM encounter this morning heading into Nth Sydney along the Pacific Hwy. I got stopped at lights at Alexander Rd, traffic was light as usual for 6:45am. Claiming the middle lane (bus lane to my left that ends 100m down the road). I get to the next set of lights which were also red as I approached, and is where the bus lane ends. The lights turn green while I am still rolling, so I speed up again. Then I hear a horn blasting me from behind, which I ignore. The right hand lane is empty. The bus lane opens up again just after the lights, and mr horn blower in a little Barina hatchback comes up the bus lane on my left, with his window down, slows down me next to me and then says something that was completely incomprehensible. He had one hand on the wheel, and his mobile phone in the other. Only 200m from Nth Sydney police station, he floors it and then gets stuck at the lights at McLaren St where he makes a left and vanishes.
I have no idea what his issue was. He just looked like an angry creature of middle eastern appearance. In the space of 3 seconds he broke four road rules: Inappropriate use of horn, drive in bus lane, overtake on left, drive with mobile phone in hand.
I need to get some cameras on my bike...,luckily Christmas is coming!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby stretts » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:32 pm

I am seeing more and more people saying 'i need to get cameras on my bike' lately
stretts

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:22 pm

Duplicate.
Andrew
Last edited by Aushiker on Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:25 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:I don't know you may be right Ross but I don't think the poor bugger really had anywhere to go... notice the taxi gives him a bit of a bump up the rear as the rider moves on as well. You may be right I don't I would argue it either way.

Step through the video ... left brake is fully on from what I can see. The other thing to keep in mind is that one can step through frame by frame in video editing software; it is much harder in You Tube and hence it is often much clearer in the frame by frame analysis as to what happened, so I tend to not to jump to conclusions watching a You Tube video alone, more so without a slow-mo.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:36 pm

InTheWoods wrote:http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/bystanders-step-in-to-thwart-risky-burnouts-on-flinders-st-east/story-e6frfkp9-1226739292623

Note the charge the driver was issued with (the right charge). But he didn't hurt a single person. But if you cut too close to (or hit) a cyclist, that's ok.

"He went within a couple of metres from some people.

Reallly ??? I dream of drivers only coming a couple of metres from me :roll:
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby arkle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:00 pm

What we need is a federal law that legally requires motorists to leave a safe passing distance when overtaking.

arkle
arkle

Postby il padrone » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:06 pm

We already have that in virtually all the state road rule as far as I am aware.

140 No overtaking unless safe to do so

...and
144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
A driver overtaking a vehicle—
(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.

Maybe the substitution of 'safe distance' for 'sufficient distance' would be valuable, but that will always be up to some interpretation.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby arkle » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:14 pm

il padrone wrote:We already have that in virtually all the state road rule as far as I am aware.

140 No overtaking unless safe to do so

...and
144 Keeping a safe distance when overtaking
A driver overtaking a vehicle—
(a) must pass the vehicle at a sufficient distance to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle; and
(b) must not return to the marked lane or line of traffic where the vehicle is travelling until the driver is a sufficient distance past the vehicle to avoid a collision with the vehicle or obstructing the path of the vehicle.

Maybe the substitution of 'safe distance' for 'sufficient distance' would be valuable, but that will always be up to some interpretation.

Perhaps the federal law should specify "sufficient distance" as a measurement in SI units.

arkle
arkle

Postby BianchiCam » Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:32 pm

OK I've done a re-edit (ie. not much just remove sarcastic comment etc) of my roundabout numpty and will read up on the do's and dont's and take down the cop shop tomorrow.
Thanks for the support.
Will keep you posted,

Cam
BianchiCam

Postby hannos » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 am

I'm really not sure where the guy in the little silver car thought the vehicle in front of him was supposed to go...

Oh and I made sure I didn't let him in in front of me (I usually do let more people out at this intersection) and the vehicle behind me didn't let him in either.

2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion