Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:44 pm

jasonc wrote:
darkelf921 wrote: Only a week before, a cyclist was killed by the same problem.
http://pic.twitter.com/bF2CNqMq9P

um. scarey!
maybe these vehicles need to be forced off the road til all checked

+1

That is a really worrying trend that is starting to appear. These things absolutely must be failsafe!!! Operators who allow such faults to occur must be hammered by the authorities :x
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:15 pm

BNA

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:15 pm

herzog wrote:This awesome compilation of moronity just showed up on my youtube feed:

Wow. There was some terrible driving in there. That cyclist at 2:03 though :shock: What a moron.
InTheWoods

Postby schroeds » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:12 am

herzog wrote:This awesome compilation of moronity just showed up on my youtube feed:

oh boy and I just got my mate in London to take up cycling :roll:

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2
Buy my Look 595 frame/complete bike...just ask me!
schroeds

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:49 pm

cowled wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:So here's my moron from yesterday morning's commute.

Ben,

That is very, very close!! I hope that you report him to the police. That guy deserves to lose his licence. The fact that he also told you to get off the road just proves that he deserves to lose his licence. A six month court imposed period of bicycle riding.

Heard back from the OIC of the station today.

They won't be taking any action. The issue is apparently my movement onto the road.

The differing opinion relates to the movement of your bike into the lane to pass the parked vehicle.

It is clear that the ute passes quite close but the differing versions relates to who was required to give way and what warning was given.

Actions taken by police must untimely be sufficient to be defended in a court of law and although you have a rear facing video of the incident the evidence would no be sufficient to gain a successful outcome on that and your statement alone.

There's about 55 meters from the moment I enter the road till he passes me. Before I entered the road, he could see the baz was blocked, and that I shoulder checked before heading to enter the road.
InTheWoods

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Doesn't matter. Cyclists don't have rights. Our law enforcement have been making it quite clear that it isn't an offence to pass within centimetres of cyclist. It often isn't even an offence to hit a cyclist.

Another reason to simply take the lane.
human909

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:19 pm

claim the lane InTheWoods. only option by the sound of it
jasonc

Postby cowled » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:35 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
cowled wrote:

Ben,

That is very, very close!! I hope that you report him to the police. That guy deserves to lose his licence. The fact that he also told you to get off the road just proves that he deserves to lose his licence. A six month court imposed period of bicycle riding.

They won't be taking any action. The issue is apparently my movement onto the road.

The differing opinion relates to the movement of your bike into the lane to pass the parked vehicle.

It is clear that the ute passes quite close but the differing versions relates to who was required to give way and what warning was given.

Actions taken by police must untimely be sufficient to be defended in a court of law and although you have a rear facing video of the incident the evidence would no be sufficient to gain a successful outcome on that and your statement alone.

There's about 55 meters from the moment I enter the road till he passes me. Before I entered the road, he could see the baz was blocked, and that I shoulder checked before heading to enter the road.

Is a BAZ considered to be part of the left lane or a separate lane? I was of the opinion that the BAZ is merely part of the lane, therefore, vehicles behind you must give way to you. Based on this interpretation, the statement "movement of your bike into the lane" doesn't make sense because you always were in the lane. Or have I got this all wrong?

In any case, the driver actually had more room available on his right side and should, at the very least, have moved over more when passing you.

Craig.
cowled

Postby biker jk » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:42 pm

It looks to me that everyone needs to avoid Bicyclist Assassination Zones and just take the lane.
biker jk

Postby Comedian » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:57 pm

jasonc wrote:claim the lane InTheWoods. only option by the sound of it

You are assuming a rational thought process. There was every chance this person may have run our cyclist down just for giggles.
Once you can climb hills on a bike it's all downhill. :mrgreen:

Hopefully I'll know what that's like..... one day. :shock: :lol:

Comedian

Postby hannos » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:10 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
cowled wrote:

Ben,

Make a complaint about the actions (or lack thereof) of the officer.
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 6:14 pm

just tell the cops he was a bikie
Tomca74

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 pm

Tomca74 wrote:just tell the cops he was a bikie

winner!
jasonc

Postby London Boy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:48 pm

cowled wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Heard back from the OIC of the station today.

Is a BAZ considered to be part of the left lane or a separate lane? I was of the opinion that the BAZ is merely part of the lane, therefore, vehicles behind you must give way to you. Based on this interpretation, the statement "movement of your bike into the lane" doesn't make sense because you always were in the lane. Or have I got this all wrong?

It is not part of the lane. You will probably find it is considered to be a 'road related area'. Regardless of that, it was the crossing of the line that signified entry to the lane.
cowled wrote:In any case, the driver actually had more room available on his right side and should, at the very least, have moved over more when passing you.

I think that's more or less what I said. Reason would dictate that the driver could have slowed, or moved wider. The letter of the law says the rider, in this case, has to give way. That means stopping if necessary.

The reality is that, as a cyclist, you need to enter the lane before giving way becomes relevant, and hold the lane until you are past whatever hazard. That might not make you Mr Popular, but it will either save your skin or give proper grounds for a prosecution.
London Boy

Postby human909 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:01 pm

London Boy wrote:The reality is that, as a cyclist, you need to enter the lane before giving way becomes relevant, and hold the lane until you are past whatever hazard. That might not make you Mr Popular, but it will either save your skin or give proper grounds for a prosecution.

Quite true. Except for the bit about prosecution. You generally need to be dead to have proper grounds there, and even then that is often not sufficient. :cry:
human909

Postby find_bruce » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:33 pm

If it is any comfort inthewoods I took my report & video into the local constable today & he asked why I wasn't riding on the road shoulder "for my own safety", despite not being a bike lane & there being a boat parked not 20 metres past where the dangerous pass happened. While I was surprised by the question I was at least able to point out that (1) I am under no obligation to ride there, (2) the boat & (3) that weaving in and out of the lane was inherently unsafe.

Not sure that he was convinced but the Constable will be talking to his traffic sergeant tomorrow & we will see what she says.
find_bruce

Postby cowled » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:45 pm

find_bruce wrote:If it is any comfort inthewoods I took my report & video into the local constable today & he asked why I wasn't riding on the road shoulder "for my own safety", despite not being a bike lane & there being a boat parked not 20 metres past where the dangerous pass happened. While I was surprised by the question I was at least able to point out that (1) I am under no obligation to ride there, (2) the boat & (3) that weaving in and out of the lane was inherently unsafe.

Not sure that he was convinced but the Constable will be talking to his traffic sergeant tomorrow & we will see what she says.

There seems to be a theme to these interactions between cyclists and police. The starting point for the police appears to be that cyclists don't really deserve to be on the road.

I wonder if the cycling advocacy groups should give some thought to running education programs at police stations.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cowled

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:51 pm

find_bruce wrote:If it is any comfort inthewoods I took my report & video into the local constable today & he asked why I wasn't riding on the road shoulder "for my own safety", despite not being a bike lane & there being a boat parked not 20 metres past where the dangerous pass happened. While I was surprised by the question I was at least able to point out that (1) I am under no obligation to ride there, (2) the boat & (3) that weaving in and out of the lane was inherently unsafe.

SIgh.

Actually my first police experience was worse than that. They threatened to charge me with obstructing traffic because I should have been on the footpath.
InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:54 pm

London Boy wrote:The reality is that, as a cyclist, you need to enter the lane before giving way becomes relevant, and hold the lane until you are past whatever hazard. That might not make you Mr Popular, but it will either save your skin or give proper grounds for a prosecution.

Yes true. I felt that I had entered the lane at a safe point, ok I couldn't have left it any later though. What you don't see is that I am shoulder checking, then moving, and the ute sometime around that decides to keep gunning it.

Re entering even earlier ... I can't win. I will get more close calls like that in Brisbane, which the police will still continue to do nothing about. So I can have more close calls, with no police action, or less close calls, with no police aciton. :roll:

Those BAZ's suck. There's a parked car every 50 meters or so, but cars expect that you have to use it and don't give a damn if they drive over you in the meantime.
InTheWoods

Postby il padrone » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:04 pm

Just jump into the lane and claim even more of it if the driving behaviour is causing you hazard. One reason why I am more than happy to ride with two rear panniers is that, on top of riding in the lane, my bike looks so wide that drivers are persuaded to shift over a lane to get past ;)
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:44 pm

il padrone wrote:Just jump into the lane and claim even more of it if the driving behaviour is causing you hazard. One reason why I am more than happy to ride with two rear panniers is that, on top of riding in the lane, my bike looks so wide that drivers are persuaded to shift over a lane to get past ;)

That particular road is single lane though :(
InTheWoods

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:51 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
il padrone wrote:Just jump into the lane and claim even more of it if the driving behaviour is causing you hazard. One reason why I am more than happy to ride with two rear panniers is that, on top of riding in the lane, my bike looks so wide that drivers are persuaded to shift over a lane to get past ;)

That particular road is single lane though :(

And? When the choice is between your safety and someone else's convenience I know which i'd pick.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby QUARMIN » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:03 am

What about if we rode on side paths... i have noticed it is safer and they even have cycling signs.
Again, happy to meet to discuss. Not much of forum person, or is everyone closet riders? its s a bit of a mothers group... sorry for the offence. It seems less than was what was mentioned previously.
Switched off, could not read 3 whole threads and somewhere near 1 000 pages of it! wow
QUARMIN

Postby skull » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:15 am

No school today?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 am

How funny....given the poor sentence structure and english...makes me think this person is "offshore", I get to deal with such striking english every day...sorry for the offence

6 posts now and I think all 6 have shown no knowledge of the law regarding riding a bike....oh well...sorry for the offence

switched off....dont think the switch was ever "flicked on"..sorry for the offence
gretaboy

Postby g-boaf » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:31 am

gretaboy wrote:How funny....given the poor sentence structure and english...makes me think this person is "offshore"

I don't think this person is off-shore at all. I reckon it is probably a regular posting under a different alias. I've moderated forums elsewhere for years and seen that many times before.
g-boaf

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion