Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby skull » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:40 am

Why would a regular here bother.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4
skull

by BNA » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 am

BNA

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:42 am

g-boaf wrote:
gretaboy wrote:How funny....given the poor sentence structure and english...makes me think this person is "offshore"

I don't think this person is off-shore at all. I reckon it is probably a regular posting under a different alias. I've moderated forums elsewhere for years and seen that many times before.

Yeah I agree...I dont think the person is either...but made me laugh anyways due to the poor sentence structure and what I come across daily

Bottom line: whoever it is posting, is simply looking for people to bite on what they write,...and they are getting them too...just look at me :shock:
gretaboy

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:33 am

I don't have many complaints about cyclist's behaviour. I don't care about all this red light running, I've never seen a cyclist do that in a poor situation.

However, one of the big complaints I have concerning many cyclists I've seen on the road is simple lack of head checks and late swerving out into traffic. I see this quite regularly and by all 'types' of cyclists. If you need to avoid parked cars this should be done early and with plenty of signalling. Many cyclists don't do this and it makes me cringe for their own safety every time I see it.

In the situation above it seems the rider did look and he had an idiot driver. But I would have looked and moved out much earlier.
human909

Postby iaintas » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:18 pm

I normally dont worry about the odd close pass by anything other than buses and trucks, but to the silver VW polo driving along Canterbury road just near the turn off to Boronia road at about 1430 today, you should know who you are as you had two road bikes on the roof, That was too close!!!. It annoyed me more because you of all people should know better than to overtake a cyclist with only 12 inches room when you have 2 lanes next to you free, if someone did that to you I'm sure you would be slightly annoyed.

:roll: :roll:
iaintas

Postby find_bruce » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:08 pm

find_bruce wrote:If it is any comfort inthewoods I took my report & video into the local constable today & he asked why I wasn't riding on the road shoulder "for my own safety", despite not being a bike lane & there being a boat parked not 20 metres past where the dangerous pass happened. While I was surprised by the question I was at least able to point out that (1) I am under no obligation to ride there, (2) the boat & (3) that weaving in and out of the lane was inherently unsafe.

Not sure that he was convinced but the Constable will be talking to his traffic sergeant tomorrow & we will see what she says.

& the official response to a < 10 cm pass is SMIDGF. Apparently close shaves are perfectly normal and safe driving because he wasn't speeding, doing burnouts and managed to squeeze past me without crossing the centre line. Even worse this is not the attitude of the constable involved but based upon feedback from the Traffic Sergeant & various Highway Patrol Officers

It is fair to say that I am not happy!! The next step is to send a complaint to the Commander of the Local Area. Won't be doing that tonight as it is likely to contain a lot of inappropriate language etc.
find_bruce

Postby BianchiCam » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm

human909 wrote:However, one of the big complaints I have concerning many cyclists I've seen on the road is simple lack of head checks and late swerving out into traffic. I see this quite regularly and by all 'types' of cyclists. If you need to avoid parked cars this should be done early and with plenty of signalling. Many cyclists don't do this and it makes me cringe for their own safety every time I see it.

In the situation above it seems the rider did look and he had an idiot driver. But I would have looked and moved out much earlier.

Reading this makes me think of the 98% of drivers that do exactly the same! wether it be changing lanes, merging into traffic! pulling out from parking spaces. If they don't do this when driving, what bloody hope do cyclists have?

I've managed to ride motorbikes for years and good situational awareness hs saved my butt many a time.

Cheers,
Cam
BianchiCam

Postby London Boy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:29 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Those BAZ's suck. There's a parked car every 50 meters or so, but cars expect that you have to use it and don't give a damn if they drive over you in the meantime.

My usual is these days to tell the utes and Falcodores to go f*** themselves, but read the road rules first... I will take the lane, specially going up Redland Bay Road out of Capalaba. Old Cleveland is usually ok for the BAZ/bike lane. but RBR has cars parked most of the way.
London Boy

Postby London Boy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:39 pm

find_bruce wrote:
find_bruce wrote:If it is any comfort inthewoods I took my report & video into the local constable today & he asked why I wasn't riding on the road shoulder "for my own safety", despite not being a bike lane & there being a boat parked not 20 metres past where the dangerous pass happened. While I was surprised by the question I was at least able to point out that (1) I am under no obligation to ride there, (2) the boat & (3) that weaving in and out of the lane was inherently unsafe.

Not sure that he was convinced but the Constable will be talking to his traffic sergeant tomorrow & we will see what she says.

& the official response to a < 10 cm pass is SMIDGF. Apparently close shaves are perfectly normal and safe driving because he wasn't speeding, doing burnouts and managed to squeeze past me without crossing the centre line. Even worse this is not the attitude of the constable involved but based upon feedback from the Traffic Sergeant & various Highway Patrol Officers

It is fair to say that I am not happy!! The next step is to send a complaint to the Commander of the Local Area. Won't be doing that tonight as it is likely to contain a lot of inappropriate language etc.

Commissioner and the Minister. The Minister has to reply, and the staff have to jump as high as necessary to cover his backside. The Commissioner has to help them do it.
London Boy

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:48 pm

London Boy wrote:Commissioner and the Minister. The Minister has to reply, and the staff have to jump as high as necessary to cover his backside. The Commissioner has to help them do it.

+ 1 ... I have had more than one station "jump" in response to traffic complaints lodged through the Commissioners Office over the past few years and and when really frustrated I put it through to the Minister with a "please explain" which I am sure annoys the hell of a few people, well I know it does as they have to go back to the Minister with an explanation :)

Whilst I am still not 100% happy with the handling of issues at Fremantle Police Station, the last Superintendent has been moved on, the last Traffic sergeant has now gone somewhere else and I believe the Constable who thought he was smart little boy has been moved as well. I have no idea if played a role in all that or not but the change has improved things :). The current Superintendent however still needs to learn that his uniform does not make him more important than the rest of us and he needs to tone his attitude down and that he is undoing the good work of the current traffic sergeant, who is a decent bloke who takes the trouble to talk concerns through and to be helpful.

The Superintendent at Mirrabooka thought he could bully me until I told where to go on the phone in the most strongest terms and that I wouldn't tolerate his bulling under any circumstances; I suspect he got a rude shock and unpleasant talking to when the follow-up went to the Commissioner's Office. I have a zero tolerance policy towards that sort of attitude and I don't give a rats about the uniform. Interestingly the traffic complaint which sparked it all was handled with the utmost professionalism :).

All that said I am very happy with the handling of complaints via the Joondalup Police Station and have made that clear to the Commissioner's Office was well ...

The fun and games of dealing with the Police ... just a matter of picking the "fights."

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:18 pm

Not a serious incident but not great driving either, more so given the L-Plate displayed in the back window. If this was a leaner driver then it is not a good look at all. I have lodged an online complaint via the WA Police website with a link to the You Tube video. If they at least talk to the driver, I would be happy with that. Not bad enough to warrant a full blown police report.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Tomca74 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:09 am

Just heard that a cyclist is in critical condition after a crash with a car on a Redland Bay footpath. Lets see how the cops justify why he brought it on himself.
Hope he recovers quickly
Tomca74

Postby Scarfy96 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am

This one should probably be cross posted here and in the dumb cyclists thread with me being the dumb cyclist, not because I did anything inherently wrong but rather was trying to be courteous and that nearly cost me.

Riding on my mountain bike on the road instead of my roadie so aware I was cruising slower than normal. Moderately busy road but only 1 lane each way with regular parked cars but quite wide. Approaching a left hand turn where I know a lot of people sweep left (more of a 50 degree turn than a 90 as the junction road veers to the left but the main road continues straight on) I check over my shoulder and there is a lime green bogandoor about 100m back, no left hand indicator. I am travelling straight ahead and while there isn't a left hand turn lane as such it is wide enough for one and most cars pull to the left to take the corner and there is room for one to pass them on their right going straight ahead.

So rather than pull right out into the middle of the straight through "lane" I hold my line on what would be the right hand edge of where most cars would turn left from. This left room for those travelling straight ahead to pass me safely on my right but anyone turning left could slot in behind me.

I sensed trouble when the bogandoor pulled up on my right and slowed. I immediately thought "I am about to get a mouthful or cut off" and looked at the guy driving who wasn't looking at me. By now we were basically at the corner and I was at his rear door and could easily have touched it. I veered left and hit the brakes hard as he cut across in front of me to turn left. If I hadn't he would have cleaned me up. Fortunately as I was so far right I had nearly a lane of width to my left so wasn't driven into the gutter and didn't come off but it was close enough to require changing pants afterwards.

I know I should have gone further right and taken the through lane and whilst it is only a 60 section it is quite busy and most do 70 and it was just at the top of a short rise so on my mountain bike I was only doing about 20km/hr. Teach me to be considerate. No camera on my mountain bike as I don't ride it on the road much and didn't get number plate.
Scarfy96

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:21 am

Truck driver pulls out of depot infront of steady flow of cars. A nice sharp hump is infront of us all. His speed up the hill according to my car 15-20kph. About 3-10 slower than I go on my bike and 25kph slower than the KOM. Did anyone beep, swerve or yell at him for slowing then down, no. Then approaching the low brige, I hoped he would turn left, as predicted he did. It seems not only do his eyes not work, nor do his indicators.
Does anyone know the answer why in QLD (don't know about the rest of AU) we have different number plates on trailers to the towing vehicle. You don't have a different number on the back of your car... In europe the numbers match.
Wakatuki

Postby nezumi » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:30 am

Wakatuki wrote:Truck driver pulls out of depot infront of steady flow of cars. A nice sharp hump is infront of us all. His speed up the hill according to my car 15-20kph. About 3-10 slower than I go on my bike and 25kph slower than the KOM. Did anyone beep, swerve or yell at him for slowing then down, no. Then approaching the low brige, I hoped he would turn left, as predicted he did. It seems not only do his eyes not work, nor do his indicators.
Does anyone know the answer why in QLD (don't know about the rest of AU) we have different number plates on trailers to the towing vehicle. You don't have a different number on the back of your car... In europe the numbers match.

Same in NSW, because the trailer carries its own registration.

I live in Victoria now, where the trailer has the number plate of the car towing it. It still seems odd to me to see cardboard "number plates" on the back of trailers.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:11 am

Riding down Aberdeen Street (Northbridge WA), I am approaching William Street and I slow down to anticipate the green light so I don't need to stop. MM is a young female in a hatchback stopped at the lights with her left blinker on. So the light goes green and she just sits there - fair enough, there's a pedestrian crossing. As the ped finishes crossing I get ready to move off but she still sits there. Now she's sitting there as traffic turns right in front of her :roll: So I just start to move past this idiot as I'd like to get across this cycle then she finally starts moving off and turns left in front of me :roll:
wellington_street

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:14 am

Tomca74 wrote:Just heard that a cyclist is in critical condition after a crash with a car on a Redland Bay footpath. Lets see how the cops justify why he brought it on himself.
Hope he recovers quickly

News here: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2x054.html

Linked in here for now, but may not necessarily belong in this thread as we don't know what happened. The driver could have had a stroke or something to cause them to mount the footpath.
InTheWoods

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:12 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
Tomca74 wrote:Just heard that a cyclist is in critical condition after a crash with a car on a Redland Bay footpath. Lets see how the cops justify why he brought it on himself.
Hope he recovers quickly

News here: http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/queensl ... 2x054.html

Linked in here for now, but may not necessarily belong in this thread as we don't know what happened. The driver could have had a stroke or something to cause them to mount the footpath.

Wow hope he recovers ok. Surprisingly a Toyota, perhaps like the little old lady who seemed unsure/confused in her surroundings when she clipped and forced me into the gravel zone, I did report but hit a blank wall when talking to the police. Still waiting to hear from QLD transport if they have a simular reporting system to Vic roads system that was was kindly linked on here.
Wakatuki

Postby Thrilloilogy » Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Todays MM goes to the driver of Silver 4WD NSW rego BDR 66K who veered across into the Bike Lane on Delhi Rd when I was right behind her going faster and almost took me out. What a turkey.
Thrilloilogy

Postby dmwill » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Aushiker wrote:Not a serious incident but not great driving either, more so given the L-Plate displayed in the back window. If this was a leaner driver then it is not a good look at all. I have lodged an online complaint via the WA Police website with a link to the You Tube video. If they at least talk to the driver, I would be happy with that. Not bad enough to warrant a full blown police report.

Assuming it was the parent in the passenger seat, they should be spoken to as well.

My old man taught me to drive initially and I think he did a good job, but having seen some really stupid things done by learner drivers over the last 10 years (pet hate being Learners sitting in right hand lane well under the speed limit), Parents should undergo a test before being allowed to instruct/supervise.
dmwill

Postby neild » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 pm

nezumi wrote:I live in Victoria now, where the trailer has the number plate of the car towing it. It still seems odd to me to see cardboard "number plates" on the back of trailers.

Pretty sure in Vic if the trailer is for personal use then it's not required to be registered and you need to ensure your car number plate is visible, hence the cardboard plate. If it's for business use such as a tradie then it needs to be registered separately, hence has a different number plate. I guess if it's registered it also means it claimable on tax as a tool of trade or something like that.

Why different states have different rules I don't know. If I drive my trailer interstate where it's required to be registered do they just say that's ok you from Victoria?
Norco VFR1 Disc, Merida 903, Mofo Single Speed, Giant MTB, soon to be vintage Gazelle fixie
neild

Postby Duck! » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:45 pm

neild wrote:
nezumi wrote:I live in Victoria now, where the trailer has the number plate of the car towing it. It still seems odd to me to see cardboard "number plates" on the back of trailers.

Pretty sure in Vic if the trailer is for personal use then it's not required to be registered and you need to ensure your car number plate is visible, hence the cardboard plate. If it's for business use such as a tradie then it needs to be registered separately, hence has a different number plate. I guess if it's registered it also means it claimable on tax as a tool of trade or something like that.

Why different states have different rules I don't know. If I drive my trailer interstate where it's required to be registered do they just say that's ok you from Victoria?

I think it's more so if the trailer is within certain dimensions it doesn't have to be separately registered. Little 6' x 4' box trailers are OK to carry the car's reg, but anything bigger, enclosed or "specific purpose" such as a boat trailer must be registered regardless of private or business ownership.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.
Duck!
Expert

Postby Aushiker » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:23 am

dmwill wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Not a serious incident but not great driving either, more so given the L-Plate displayed in the back window. If this was a leaner driver then it is not a good look at all. I have lodged an online complaint via the WA Police website with a link to the You Tube video. If they at least talk to the driver, I would be happy with that. Not bad enough to warrant a full blown police report.

Assuming it was the parent in the passenger seat, they should be spoken to as well.ob, but having seen some really stupid things done by learner drivers over the last 10 years ... Parents should undergo a test before being allowed to instruct/supervise.

That is my thinking as well ... you comment reminded me of this local story from 2011. The learner driver was being taught to drive by her mother and couldn't pass the hazard perception test ... she wanted to be told where she was going wrong ... seems pretty obvious to me but.

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby GregW » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:28 pm

il padrone wrote:
jasonc wrote:
darkelf921 wrote: Only a week before, a cyclist was killed by the same problem.
http://pic.twitter.com/bF2CNqMq9P

um. scarey!
maybe these vehicles need to be forced off the road til all checked

+1

That is a really worrying trend that is starting to appear. These things absolutely must be failsafe!!! Operators who allow such faults to occur must be hammered by the authorities :x

Commercial vehicles are becoming more of an issue as business owners and drivers scamper to save time and make more money.
Perth roads are littered (and some unrideable) with the amount of material not secured for transit.
I ride through an industrial area once a week, and can't believe the quantity of nuts, bolts and truck parts on the road.
This truck drove past me at 60kph earlier this week......with the bin lifting mechanism not retracted. Caught up to the driver a kilometer down the road.....his reaction ...stiff bickies, just get out of the way then I'm in a hurry mate!!
Can understand the need for not retracting on local collections when they are not passing anyone, but I can not believe that automatic retraction is not speed regulated.

GregW

Postby hannos » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:39 pm

GregW wrote:Commercial vehicles are becoming more of an issue as business owners and drivers scamper to save time and make more money.
Perth roads are littered (and some unrideable) with the amount of material not secured for transit.
I ride through an industrial area once a week, and can't believe the quantity of nuts, bolts and truck parts on the road.
This truck drove past me at 60kph earlier this week......with the bin lifting mechanism not retracted. Caught up to the driver a kilometer down the road.....his reaction ...stiff bickies, just get out of the way then I'm in a hurry mate!!
Can understand the need for not retracting on local collections when they are not passing anyone, but I can not believe that automatic retraction is not speed regulated.

Report him to the company. mention OH&S, Worksafe etc. That should make them scamper around and fix things.
Don't let them call your bluff either :twisted:
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby human909 » Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:40 pm

GregW wrote:Commercial vehicles are becoming more of an issue as business owners and drivers scamper to save time and make more money.

If you want action make a work cover complaint. Reporting of near misses is compulsory and work cover includes members of the public and whistle blowers.
human909

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion