Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby casual_cyclist » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:07 pm

I had a MM yesterday evening when riding home from work who was driving so erratically and dangerously that I didn't feel safe riding past them on the road. I took to the footpath to get past even though that is illegal in WA. I don't care about the law if it means that I didn't end up underneath a car... :evil:
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

by BNA » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:51 pm

BNA

Postby wellington_street » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:51 pm

Did he try to headbutt you?
wellington_street

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:00 pm

wellington_street wrote:Did he try to headbutt you?

:lol:

but no.
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby BastardSheep » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:17 pm

On top of the two crane trucks recently that had their stabilizer arms extend while in at speed (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed), one hitting a parked car and the other killing a mum on her bike, and the rubbish truck I think was earlier in this thread at speed with its bin collection arm still extended (something that also shouldn't be possible above certain speeds unless the safety device has been bypassed), the truck that closed the M5 East in Sydney at 8am this morning, surprise surprise, had its tipper raise while traveling at 60-80kph (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed) after the driver accidentally bumped its control while looking for his glasses just prior to entering the tunnel.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a51_1384400579
n=1 | 2006 Learsport TR3240 Hardtail
BastardSheep

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 3:25 pm

BastardSheep wrote:the truck that closed the M5 East in Sydney at 8am this morning, surprise surprise, had its tipper raise while traveling at 60-80kph (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed) after the driver accidentally bumped its control while looking for his glasses just prior to entering the tunnel.

i know some truck companies have been pursued for the cost of damage resulting from such negligence in the past. the amounts usually are enough to send them into receivership.
jules21

Postby g-boaf » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:42 pm

BastardSheep wrote:On top of the two crane trucks recently that had their stabilizer arms extend while in at speed (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed), one hitting a parked car and the other killing a mum on her bike, and the rubbish truck I think was earlier in this thread at speed with its bin collection arm still extended (something that also shouldn't be possible above certain speeds unless the safety device has been bypassed), the truck that closed the M5 East in Sydney at 8am this morning, surprise surprise, had its tipper raise while traveling at 60-80kph (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed) after the driver accidentally bumped its control while looking for his glasses just prior to entering the tunnel.

I just saw the video. :shock: Cripes.

And I'll give you the moron motorist of the month. About 7:45pm tonight Horsely Drive Sydney - Mercedes C63 AMG with matte black paint finish comes tearing up the road heading west towards Mimosa Road. Sees traffic lights change red, line-up of traffic - would have been doing about 145km/h. Hard braking, swerves to the left turn lane for Mimosa Road - goes through left turn at any time lane, then turns right and charges out ahead of the lights, absolutely gunning it. I think the rego started with CEW letters and finished in N with two digit number before the N.

And you thought ute drivers were bad...
g-boaf

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:42 am

BastardSheep wrote:On top of the two crane trucks recently that had their stabilizer arms extend while in at speed (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed), one hitting a parked car and the other killing a mum on her bike, and the rubbish truck I think was earlier in this thread at speed with its bin collection arm still extended (something that also shouldn't be possible above certain speeds unless the safety device has been bypassed), the truck that closed the M5 East in Sydney at 8am this morning, surprise surprise, had its tipper raise while traveling at 60-80kph (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed) after the driver accidentally bumped its control while looking for his glasses just prior to entering the tunnel.

The driver of the tipper truck claimed he knocked the switch when trying to pick up his glasses which he had dropped in the cabin. There are actually two switches which need to be flicked for the tipper to move plus a safety light. Seems an unlikely story by the driver.
biker jk

Postby rogan » Fri Nov 15, 2013 6:44 am

jules21 wrote:
BastardSheep wrote:the truck that closed the M5 East in Sydney at 8am this morning, surprise surprise, had its tipper raise while traveling at 60-80kph (something that shouldn't be possible unless the safety device has been bypassed) after the driver accidentally bumped its control while looking for his glasses just prior to entering the tunnel.

i know some truck companies have been pursued for the cost of damage resulting from such negligence in the past. the amounts usually are enough to send them into receivership.

I know nothing of the particular circumstances of this case beyond what's in the press, but I view those stories with scepticism. The number of accidents caused by "I swerved to miss a dog" or "I dropped my glasses and was scratching around for them" is incredible.

More likely reasons:

- Was changing CDs over or fiddling with the radio/ipod
- Was looking for my phone.
- Just accidentally bumped it when reaching for my coffee/drink.
- Texting or reading something.

If they find a safety "bypass", I hope the whole fleet will be inspected, as happened with those oil tankers a month or two ago. Whatever else happens, the driver will stick to his story re the glasses, and we'll likely never really know better (unless his phone records show something).
rogan

Postby wellington_street » Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:49 am

biker jk wrote:The driver of the tipper truck claimed he knocked the switch when trying to pick up his glasses which he had dropped in the cabin. There are actually two switches which need to be flicked for the tipper to move plus a safety light. Seems an unlikely story by the driver.

You got experience with that particular model?

A couple of truckies I know that drive various tippers have said that the controls vary from truck to truck and most don't have any mechanism that disables the tipper if the truck is moving. I don't have any personal knowledge and can't vouch for their claims but there's a lot of conflicting info out there.
wellington_street

Postby jules21 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:01 pm

wellington_street wrote:
biker jk wrote:The driver of the tipper truck claimed he knocked the switch when trying to pick up his glasses which he had dropped in the cabin. There are actually two switches which need to be flicked for the tipper to move plus a safety light. Seems an unlikely story by the driver.

You got experience with that particular model?

A couple of truckies I know that drive various tippers have said that the controls vary from truck to truck and most don't have any mechanism that disables the tipper if the truck is moving. I don't have any personal knowledge and can't vouch for their claims but there's a lot of conflicting info out there.

it doesn't sound like conflicting info, from the way you describe it. jk wasn't talking about a mechanism that disables the tipper while the truck is moving, just a two-stage mechanism, which can't be activated by hitting a single button - so long as the primary enabling switch was set to Off.

the trucking company has actually responded to this, saying that the driver did not engage the primary (PTO) switch. it's unclear whether that means it was already engaged (which would be bad), or whether the tipper rose with the switch off (which is a defect and still the responsibility of the truckie). there doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation which absolves the truckie.
jules21

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:12 pm

Got honked by a lady who wanted me to share the road by letting her use my lane. Instead I pointed to the other lane she could use, and she wisely decided to share by letting me keep my lane and she used the other one, was a much better type of "sharing". Funny thing is, my lane was a T2, and she was alone AFAICT, so she shouldn't have been in it in the first place. At least she didn't try to kill me.

Had a funny MGIF too. Fast downhill, 2 lanes, red light with well known and predictable timing in front which I'm just rolling to. Expensive looking Merc AMG guns it from the left lane at the lights behind me to get in front of the car in the lane to its right, then wants to switch back into my lane after getting past me but discovers I'm faster than he thought and he can't get past me before hitting the banked up traffic in his lane ... cue rapid braking ... and the horrible realisation that he'd just have to make do with waiting at the lights right behind me instead of right in front of me. I was turning left at the lights anyway... and the left lane ends 50m past the lights. At least he didn't try to kill me.
InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:18 pm

jules21 wrote:the trucking company has actually responded to this, saying that the driver did not engage the primary (PTO) switch. it's unclear whether that means it was already engaged (which would be bad), or whether the tipper rose with the switch off (which is a defect and still the responsibility of the truckie). there doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation which absolves the truckie.

Its not quite the same thing but when I was buying a box trailer, there was a much larger tipper trailer at the manufacturer for repair. It looked bizarre - it had folded itself! The owner had been driving down the road when he heard noises and looked in the mirror and could see the trailer folding itself up behind him. Turns out he'd stored tools in the box that had the battery and electronics for the tipper, and a tool had shorted out the circuit, hence trailer folding itself up. It had a significant bend in it as a result, obviously it wasn't folded double :)
InTheWoods

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:26 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Got honked by a lady who wanted me to share the road by letting her use my lane. Instead I pointed to the other lane she could use, and she wisely decided to share by letting me keep my lane and she used the other one, was a much better type of "sharing". Funny thing is, my lane was a T2, and she was alone AFAICT, so she shouldn't have been in it in the first place. At least she didn't try to kill me.

Had a funny MGIF too. Fast downhill, 2 lanes, red light with well known and predictable timing in front which I'm just rolling to. Expensive looking Merc AMG guns it from the left lane at the lights behind me to get in front of the car in the lane to its right, then wants to switch back into my lane after getting past me but discovers I'm faster than he thought and he can't get past me before hitting the banked up traffic in his lane ... cue rapid braking ... and the horrible realisation that he'd just have to make do with waiting at the lights right behind me instead of right in front of me. I was turning left at the lights anyway... and the left lane ends 50m past the lights. At least he didn't try to kill me.

AMG Merc drivers seem to be very aggressive. I don't trust them at all. I'm always wary of C63 AMGs.
g-boaf

Postby jasonc » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:27 pm

g-boaf wrote:AMG Merc drivers seem to be very aggressive. I don't trust them at all. I'm always wary of C63 AMGs.

One of my mates drives one. Will have to stir him up
jasonc

Postby zero » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:14 pm

jules21 wrote:it doesn't sound like conflicting info, from the way you describe it. jk wasn't talking about a mechanism that disables the tipper while the truck is moving, just a two-stage mechanism, which can't be activated by hitting a single button - so long as the primary enabling switch was set to Off.

the trucking company has actually responded to this, saying that the driver did not engage the primary (PTO) switch. it's unclear whether that means it was already engaged (which would be bad), or whether the tipper rose with the switch off (which is a defect and still the responsibility of the truckie). there doesn't seem to be any reasonable explanation which absolves the truckie.

If there is an accumulator in the lifting mechanism, it may well supply sufficient pressure to lift an empty body, even if it would fail to do so with a full one. There usually is some form of accumulator with PTO powered hydraulic pumps, because PTO rpm is unpredictable. There is no particular reason for a truckie to know whether its strong enough to lift an empty body or not, because he probably never ever pressed the lift button without a load and without the PTO engaged.
zero

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:24 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Got honked by a lady who wanted me to share the road by letting her use my lane. Instead I pointed to the other lane she could use, and she wisely decided to share by letting me keep my lane and she used the other one, was a much better type of "sharing". Funny thing is, my lane was a T2, and she was alone AFAICT, so she shouldn't have been in it in the first place. At least she didn't try to kill me.

Wow that was fast. Within 2 hours of contacting my local police station requesting some re-education, they have spoken to the driver (and even given me a qprime number) which is all I wanted :shock: The OIC there has been very good. Sometimes he doesn't give me what I want, because he can't, but that's ok. He's not allowed to go and beat people up on my behalf :lol:
InTheWoods

Postby Coolabah » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:01 pm

il padrone wrote:
AndreB1972 wrote:You are also well aware of your vehicle limits on a motorcycle, so although it felt like a close pass to you, there is no issue to the scooter rider. If another cyclist had passed you that closely would you call that a close one?

A cyclist passing that close (in the same lane when I am riding to the right of the centre) ??? Yes, I most certainly would regard as dangerous riding. That scooter-rider was an outright tosser and a danger to others on the road. Anybody who goes about judging the safety of others solely on whether they felt OK about it has no manners and very little understanding of safe driving.

If you drive your motorbike llike that AndrB then stay clear of me please.

Yep , I agree 99.9% . My two scariest and I think also fastest passes in the last few months were from motorbikes. VERY Loud, VERY fast , VERY close , VERY scary at the time. But when I thought about it later , I think *most* motorbike riders have a better idea where their "left" is than just about any non-pro cage driver ( read this as 4-wheel drive moms vs have you ever seen a truck driver reverse a B-Double up a curved residential driveway ?? ! :shock: .... however , I don't extend this appreciation for truck drivers when they travel over 5 km/hr , must be another part of the brain kicks in then as I have had some close passes from the rear part of some trucks when they swing in too soon after passing )
Yep , agree it is totally rude to pass so close , no argument. I also agree it is dangerous , no argument . But if I had to pick my poison in this country where no-one gives a warm turd on toast about cyclists,I guess I would pick being buzzed by a motorcycle. Kinda. :cry:
Coolabah

Postby Ross » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:23 pm

Moron motorists - all the ones that reply online to newspaper articles with moronic comments like "bikes should be registered", "bikes don't belong on the road" and "cyclists deserve to be run over for choosing to ride on roads" :evil: :evil: :evil:
Ross

Postby ikm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:24 pm

This mornings effort. Why use the completely empty lane when you can buzz past the group of cyclists as close as possible?

ikm

Postby ldrcycles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:33 pm

g-boaf wrote: I'm always drooling over C63 AMGs.

That's what you should have said. Here in Noosa they all seem to be driven slowly by 90yr olds :lol: . But oh that glorious noise!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:38 pm

ldrcycles wrote:
g-boaf wrote: I'm always drooling over C63 AMGs.

That's what you should have said. Here in Noosa they all seem to be driven slowly by 90yr olds :lol: . But oh that glorious noise!

The guy who lived a few doors down from me used to own one until he was carjacked at gunpoint. They put a gun to his wife's head when he drove into his garage. You don't want to own a car like that, it's asking for trouble.
biker jk

Postby biker jk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:39 pm

ikm wrote:This mornings effort. Why use the completely empty lane when you can buzz past the group of cyclists as close as possible?

That MM should never be allowed to hold a licence. That's attempted murder.
biker jk

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:20 pm

ikm wrote:This mornings effort. Why use the completely empty lane when you can buzz past the group of cyclists as close as possible?

Complete moron driver...

But that said, the cyclists have a silly lane position that makes absolutely no sense on a multi lane road. Either ride two abreast in the left hand land or ride completely out of the left hand lane!

Riding with one cyclist in the left hand lane is begging for drivers to do exactly what did occur.
human909

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Not my vid, and its from the UK. But still a moron motorist. And another example that claiming the lane is no guarantee of safety when you have a true moron on your hands.

InTheWoods

Postby ikm » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:43 pm

That's scary! People like that should not be behind the wheel.
ikm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion