Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby queequeg » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:08 pm

Cowcorner wrote:
ldrcycles wrote:
Mulger bill wrote: And another. What a Text0r :roll:

+3. You've got a good set of lungs on you cowcorner :) .

Not sure if it was the lungs or the adrenalin surging through the system at the time - my money's on the latter. 8)

Just to update, I took the footage to South Melbourne police station. The senior constable was very receptive - also checking to see whether the truck failed to indicate and/or ran a red light at the end. No additional charges but they're still pursuing the chop. As the footage only shows the trailer number (not the prime mover) they have to go through the trailer owner so it might take a while, but they did state that the trailer owner is required by law to ID the driver. Looks positive thus far and they've promised to keep me posted. Here's hoping.

Geez that was close. Looking at the footage, I can't see them getting him for failing to indicate, as they were on. The red light is a bit iffy as it was orange when he crossed and turned red as the tail end of the trailer was going through. However, he did fail to give way to you in the bike lane and then he crossed two solid white lines. Very poor driving!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

by BNA » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:24 pm

BNA

Postby Cowcorner » Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:24 pm

queequeg wrote:
Geez that was close. Looking at the footage, I can't see them getting him for failing to indicate, as they were on. The red light is a bit iffy as it was orange when he crossed and turned red as the tail end of the trailer was going through. However, he did fail to give way to you in the bike lane and then he crossed two solid white lines. Very poor driving!

I agree - the indicator / red light bits were OK in my book. The police actually checked these off their own bat to see if there was anything else they could do the driver for (in addition to the obvious). Given the success - or lack of - quoted by many on this forum when trying to get the police to take action, the response here has actually come as a pleasant surprise. Guess I know where to go in future now. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby trailgumby » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:44 pm

Very close on the red. The driver was very lucky - too close to call. You are by law required to stop on orange if feasible. Not sure why so many forget this? It would probably be enough to trigger a red light camera if there had been a road sensor but not much in it.

@cowcorner, make sure you get an incident number and follow up. If there's no number it's not in the system and will be forgotten.

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:35 pm

Had a beauty driving in tonight...
Rolling on the numbers along Footscray Rd and a pair of lights comes screaming up behind. Moments later a P plated Astra zooms by.
Now, I'm not real fussed by the speed on a three each way, median divided and near empty bit of road but as it went past my eye was attracted by a fair glow in the cockpit.

That glow came from a tablet balanced on the steering wheel...

We don't have a sufficiently emphatic "contempt" emoticon here to cover this kind of incident :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:37 pm

I was riding west on Canning Avenue, Mount Pleasant, Western Australia when I observed this grey Commodore turning left on to Canning Avenue from Rogerson Avenue.

As you can see the female driving the Commodore had some issues with road positioning and vehicle control, swinging wide on to Canning Avenue and then proceeding for a short distance on the wrong side of the road before eventually moving back to the left.

Why did this happen? She was busy on the phone!

Unfortunately I am not able to read the number plate otherwise the matter would have been reported to the WA Police.

Thankfully I was also not much closer to Rogerson Avenue, otherwise the outcome may have been less pleasant.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:45 am

Cowcorner wrote:As the footage only shows the trailer number (not the prime mover) they have to go through the trailer owner so it might take a while, but they did state that the trailer owner is required by law to ID the driver. Looks positive thus far and they've promised to keep me posted. Here's hoping.

if you look closely you can see the trailer seems to be painted the same green as the prime mover. it looks like a dedicated combination so i reckon they'll have no problem ID'ing the operator (who will ID the driver, if they're not the same person).

that's some bad driving. obviously deliberate - i hope.
jules21

Postby Cowcorner » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:38 am

jules21 wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:As the footage only shows the trailer number (not the prime mover) they have to go through the trailer owner so it might take a while, but they did state that the trailer owner is required by law to ID the driver. Looks positive thus far and they've promised to keep me posted. Here's hoping.

if you look closely you can see the trailer seems to be painted the same green as the prime mover. it looks like a dedicated combination so i reckon they'll have no problem ID'ing the operator (who will ID the driver, if they're not the same person).

that's some bad driving. obviously deliberate - i hope.

Further update: Had a call from the officer today - The trailer owner has nominated the driver, who is currently out on the road but they have called in for a "chat" (including showing them the video). They asked if I was prepared to be a witness if required (I was) but they also stated it was unlikely the driver would contest the charge anyway in light of the video footage. Strike one up for the Mobius. 8)
Nemo me impune lacessit

iPhone - Nature's enemy to the bicycle bell
Airzound - Nature's enemy to the iPhone
Cowcorner

Postby jules21 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 am

Cowcorner wrote:Further update: Had a call from the officer today - The trailer owner has nominated the driver, who is currently out on the road but they have called in for a "chat" (including showing them the video). They asked if I was prepared to be a witness if required (I was) but they also stated it was unlikely the driver would contest the charge anyway in light of the video footage. Strike one up for the Mobius. 8)

look at it this way - the next day or two, he's working solely to pay for his little indiscretion :)
jules21

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:48 pm

Cowcorner wrote:Further update: Had a call from the officer today - The trailer owner has nominated the driver, who is currently out on the road but they have called in for a "chat" (including showing them the video). They asked if I was prepared to be a witness if required (I was) but they also stated it was unlikely the driver would contest the charge anyway in light of the video footage. Strike one up for the Mobius. 8)

That is a good outcome.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby Ross » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:09 pm

A friend and I were riding along a dual carriageway road (in on-road cycling lane) this morning at around 7.30am in a new suburb where there are luckily few houses and not much traffic when car decided to ignore the 6ft white arrows painted on the road and drive on wrong side of road toward us. The driver realised before getting to us (probably the shaking of our heads, though maybe not if he didn't notice the road markings) and turned around. But he couldn't even do that properly. he indicated left at first and looked like he was going to mount the traffic island and return to correct side of the road but then he changed his mind and just did a U turn, though took several minutes to perform this as his driving skill was obviously lacking. He had just finished his U turn when we arrived and we pulled along side of him (2 guys with a couple of small children in the back) and he started grinning like a Chesire cat at us like it was amusing or something. He had no clue of the danger he had put us or his presumed family in. Just lucky there was no traffic around.

There really, really, really needs to be tougher licencing tests, and re-testing.
Ross

Postby g-boaf » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:25 pm

Marto wrote:
Cowcorner wrote:You would have thought this time of year would be reasonably stress free on the roads - not much traffic, plenty of room. I thought so too - until this morning. Please excuse the language.

Yes, please report that one - it's not like his behaviour will improve otherwise.

That's bad! :(

Nothing like that for me, just two idiot bogans in a white Toyota Corolla trying to see if they could make me crash by screaming loudly out the window.

I'll consider every Corolla driver with the same level of contempt from here on in on account of that. :roll:
g-boaf

Postby trailgumby » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:16 pm

Ross wrote:A friend and I were riding along a dual carriageway road (in on-road cycling lane) this morning at around 7.30am in a new suburb where there are luckily few houses and not much traffic when car decided to ignore the 6ft white arrows painted on the road and drive on wrong side of road toward us. The driver realised before getting to us (probably the shaking of our heads, though maybe not if he didn't notice the road markings) and turned around. But he couldn't even do that properly. he indicated left at first and looked like he was going to mount the traffic island and return to correct side of the road but then he changed his mind and just did a U turn, though took several minutes to perform this as his driving skill was obviously lacking. He had just finished his U turn when we arrived and we pulled along side of him (2 guys with a couple of small children in the back) and he started grinning like a Chesire cat at us like it was amusing or something. He had no clue of the danger he had put us or his presumed family in. Just lucky there was no traffic around.

There really, really, really needs to be tougher licencing tests, and re-testing.

You're assuming there is actually a license in the household.
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby fingy » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 pm

Scooter using the ped/bike path :shock:
fingy

Postby Cinder » Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:06 pm

I'm surprised we don;t have more vids in here of scooters on bike paths.
*** insert signature here ***
Cinder

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:54 pm

fingy wrote:Scooter using the ped/bike path :shock:

Are we sure it's a scooter not an ebike? Sounded like an asthmatic mosquito...
http://i.imgur.com/Nb42Z.jpg
See that silver thing just above and in front of the stand? That's a crankarm that is.
I'm not sure if it's actually attached to anything except its port side counterpart...

EDIT, converted IMG to link, it's HYUUUUGE.
Last edited by Mulger bill on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: img conversion
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby coyote » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:02 pm

Code: Select all
See that silver thing just above and in front of the stand? That's a crankarm that is.

That is what you use to start these damm ugly things! :twisted: I vote it is a scooter.
coyote

Postby Lukeyboy » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:23 pm

Lukeyboy

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:03 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:

Didn't see a single law broken then,
On a more serious note. It's funny when the guy said "I aint going back to jayol, browh"

Cinder wrote:I'm surprised we don;t have more vids in here of scooters on bike paths.

I'll probably see my face in this thread one day riding around on my $160 pit bike off eBay
mattwilkinson

Postby mattwilkinson » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:07 pm

BianchiCam wrote:

I'd say they just severely underestimated your speed, Happens to me all the time.
They see a kid on a bike and they assume i'm doing half what I am haha
mattwilkinson

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:03 am

I had 2 idiots tell me to "get off the effing road" this morning, but the prize goes to the one who was supervising a learner :evil: . God almighty, any wonder the roads are so dangerous.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Wakatuki » Sat Jan 04, 2014 8:32 am

ldrcycles wrote:I had 2 idiots tell me to "get off the effing road" this morning, but the prize goes to the one who was supervising a learner :evil: . God almighty, any wonder the roads are so dangerous.

"here you go son follow my tuition carefully, whenever you approach a cyclist you slow down, try and anticipate if they my swerve or wobble, then if they look nice and steady get real close wind down ya window yell abuse, if you have time mention rego. Then left hook them at the next set of lights. If they do catch you up just threaten to bash them but keep the window up, as long as you use your car as a weapon and stay in your vehicle your immune to prosecution."
Cant get youtube at work hope this is right... 0:50 - 1:10
Wakatuki

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:46 pm

I don't normally post in here unless it really pisses me off and each on their own wouldn't even have been posted in here but on todays ride I hadn't had a single incident. Drivers were courteous. Drivers left plenty of space overtaking. No close shaves. But like usual that all changed when 5km from home. All of them on a single 2-3km stretch of road. First was a punishment pass or careless driving from some idiot of a taxi driver.

Second dingleberry was when I signaled and entered a roundabout to go straight through doing around 35-38 clicks and Mr Landscaper + trailer decided he'd also enter the roundabout aswell. I had the TT bars on the bike so ramping it up to 50-60kph on the exit to chase them was a breeze. As I was just about to pull alongside a couple hundred metres down the road the T intersection traffic lights go off so in true Sloppy Kiss fashion I mounted the wide clear footpath (remember folks. In Queensland its legal to ride a bicycle on the foothpath) gave a nod/wave/salute as I flew past still in the 40's.....
...and remounted the road after the lights before chasing down the next car :P - Its legal so to the haters out there bite me.

A few seconds later that was followed by some chap who gunned it out of a side street just as i was going past.

And last but not least the day dreamer.

Just when I thought drivers were becoming polite this one bit of road reminded me that that's a load of bull dung.
Lukeyboy

Postby darkelf921 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:32 pm

Another bus driver to add to the collection. Although this one seemed to be an angry MM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3bEZLsq6Lk
My YouTube channel http://goo.gl/UlJrkN
darkelf921

Postby 17sjs » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:39 pm

darkelf921 wrote:Another bus driver to add to the collection. Although this one seemed to be an angry MM

Straight to the police with that one, plus a please explain letter to the council. If that'd been me, I would have been getting on the bus at that stop to ask for explanation in person. Unbelievable.
17sjs

Postby NhiTrac » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:48 am

Had a fully sick moron in a 911 use the M5's shoulder/bike lane to overtake (quiet slowly) standing traffic, until he was purposely blocked by a semi-trailer than a 1 tonne truck. Quiet amusing except I couldn't go anywhere as the moron was blocking the whole path.

Amazes me how these creatures think they're above all in society :roll:
FOCUS Cayo Expert
NhiTrac

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion