Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Bah77 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:59 pm

A couple of minor ones today, Sylvan rd

Funny if you zoom in to street view all the cars stopped at the intersection do this
And the blank look on the drivers face as I pointed down at the bike lane, at least he was looking i guess.. no issue really as all the cars from the lights had passed me so it was easy to go around, still a minor annoyance.
And "cemetary hill" at dutton park

A little more annoying, perhaps because i was near the end of my ride and tired and cranky :wink: , the section where the road is divided i take the middle (partly because of my tiredness) hear a car coming up behind, he revs the engine twice then beeps his horn :roll: , i voice the fact that he could wait (because the divide ends in a few meters), he slows down (not in a hurry now i guess) and i think he says "you dont have the right.." well thats all he got out before i pointed out the fact he could have waited two seconds to pass me, which is what he in fact did
Bah77

by BNA » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:20 am

BNA

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:20 am

Look at all the silly people that love sitting in congestion day after day year after year. If only they knew how much better it would be for their health and in some cases faster to commute from work-home using a bicycle.

And yes this is indeed a sarcastic post :P
Lukeyboy

Postby queequeg » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:33 am

^^^ After seeing just a few minutes of that I had to stop. I was wondering when you were going to get squished by a car suddenly changing lanes.

Maybe it is just the camera, but it looked like you barely had a hair's width of space when going between done of those cars at a pretty decent speed.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:45 am

Yeah it's mostly down to the wide angle lens and camera positioning while passing stationary traffic ;) (always surprises me when viewing back because it seems alot faster/closer than what it felt like in person). Especially on the ones where the camera is mounted on the drop section of the bars where everything turning right seems like I have 63 degrees of lean angle going at 120kph :P Most of the footage is in the 25-30kph area with a few of the more open bits in the 35-40's. The opening 2 clips I was doing a max of 22kph and a max of 33kph at the bottom of the hill - 26-28kph past the bus so not that fast really.
Lukeyboy

Postby KonaCommuter » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 pm

Apologies for the poor image quality. My wife’s dashcam caught two Moron Motorists turning left across the cyclists path. He just shook his head in disgust and kept peddling.

2012 Oppy A4
KonaCommuter

Postby trailgumby » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:35 pm

@lukeyboy: It sure does look narrow but then the car and bike lanes are also looking real narrow so I was trying to mentally scale it out.

Some of the manouvres you pull to go out around the right and then back to the left again when the way was blocked by a tool in a taxi opening a door still looked risky though ... was that actual speed?

I know the brain seems to speed up and time slow down in those circumstances quite often, but still... don't wanna hear about you getting squished. :(

Sent from my android thingy using Crapatalk
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:08 pm

The clip at 3.15? It would have been real speed. I was riding motorbikes before I was in pre school and riding motorbikes more powerful than most road legal mopeds before I got into grade 2 so I tend to have a very close throw it around riding style that I'm comfortable with which tends to scare people but also explains why I have a bucket load of confidence in steep descents, cornering faster in crit races, in tight spaces and occasionally doing stupid things on the road bikes.... like doing makeshift slalom courses :P. If you saw me in person you'll also know why I have an advantage when it comes to viewing what's around me :lol: (I'm tall :P)

Damn kc. Where abouts was that? The 7-11/sign on the right seems familiar but I can't quite put my finger on it.
Lukeyboy

Postby elantra » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:26 am

newie wrote:
antigee wrote:the petrol station video should be used for training purposes:
1/. the importance of eye contact - hard sometimes - especially with tinted windows - but the option was there to slow and go behind the car - if no room I'd probably risk an earful for tapping on the passenger side window and smiling nicely

2/. to show road planners bike paths that put cyclists in positions where many drivers don't look should be avoided - they create situations that require cyclists to mitigate the danger - incidentally use to live opposite a bus stop on a main road and used to love it when drivers would pull out the adjacent side road only looking left and accelerate straight into the back of a stopped bus - I hope some learned something

3/. to show drivers that they have to be aware of other road users and not just focus "on the gap in the traffic"

Hope the cyclist recovers and gets bike fixed OK

You forgot one. Anyone whinging about cyclists using the road instead of an available cycle or shared path should be shown this video.

Absolutely.
I am astounded that your local government would try to pass that off as a bicycle lane.
It makes a mockery of the NSW law supposedly forbidding cyclists from riding on the footpath.
That "bikelane" is for "all intensive purposes" a footpath.
Infrastructure fail.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby nezumi » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 am

elantra wrote:That "bikelane" is for "all intensive purposes" a footpath.

The line should be "for all intents and purposes".

Agreed that the infrastructure there is next to useless for safety.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:51 am

Ute turning right from left lane just to get around me at traffic lights and saved about 5 seconds. I see this often at this intersection. MM was in a company vehicle. Link to video has been sent to company's head office.

n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am

Boognoss wrote:Ute turning right from left lane just to get around me at traffic lights and saved about 5 seconds. I see this often at this intersection. MM was in a company vehicle. Link to video has been sent to company's head office.

Funny:

Hi Lucy,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I am aware that it is legal to change lanes in NSW across a broken white line. As you push the point, your company vehicle did so without indicating.

Also, the vehicle turned right from the left hand lane at traffic lights where there were no arrows painted on the road surface to indicate that this turn was legal. Therefore it was an illegal right-turn from the left-hand lane.

This video will not be removed.

Regards,

Simon

On 2014-01-13 11:13, Lucy Wilmot wrote:

Your video illustrates a broken white line on the lane which is legal in nsw to turn/ change lanes with.

Therefore tendering your video and comment incorrect.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Also this video will be removed from YouTube as of today.

Thank you kindly.
On 13 Jan 2014, at 10:50 am, "Simon Hookham" <[email protected]> wrote: From: Mr Simon Hookham<[email protected]> Company: Address: Postcode: Tel: Fax: Enquiry Details Hi, I observed one of your drivers making an illegal right-hand turn from the left-hand lane at a signaled intersection this morning. You may be interested in this video footage: http://youtu.be/3bxNnHDdS_0 -- This e-mail was sent from a contact form on Green Options
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 am

Hmmm, so that's "we don't really care what our employees are up to as we don't care about our company image" and P.S. please take down your video which highlights this value which is one of our companies core founding principals. :P

Why did she say 'this video will be removed from Youtube today'? I always thought that they had to request the video to be taken down, not make a statement like that which implies that they will be removing it... :? I suppose she at least thanks you twice in one e-mail, thats very nice of her.

Amazing isn't it, when people are actually doing their job for them, highlighting incidents where their employees are helping foster a positive public image and then they reply like that. Oh well.

Safe riding!
FuzzyDropbear

Postby MisuVir » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am

Boognoss wrote:Ute turning right from left lane just to get around me at traffic lights and saved about 5 seconds. I see this often at this intersection. MM was in a company vehicle. Link to video has been sent to company's head office.

This looks like one of those cases where both lanes SHOULD be able to turn right, but aren't legally allowed to because of lack of arrow markings. I can certainly understand why people turn right from the left lane. I'd be contacting the local council to get the markings clarified.
MisuVir

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:31 am

FuzzyDropbear wrote:Hmmm, so that's "we don't really care what our employees are up to as we don't care about our company image" and P.S. please take down your video which highlights this value which is one of our companies core founding principals. :P

Why did she say 'this video will be removed from Youtube today'? I always thought that they had to request the video to be taken down, not make a statement like that which implies that they will be removing it... :? I suppose she at least thanks you twice in one e-mail, thats very nice of her.

Amazing isn't it, when people are actually doing their job for them, highlighting incidents where their employees are helping foster a positive public image and then they reply like that. Oh well.

Safe riding!

I thought it was strange wording regarding taking down the video. I received an out of office message stating that Lucy is away until next Monday so who knows, it might take that long to receive another reply.
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:32 am

MisuVir wrote:

This looks like one of those cases where both lanes SHOULD be able to turn right, but aren't legally allowed to because of lack of arrow markings. I can certainly understand why people turn right from the left lane. I'd be contacting the local council to get the markings clarified.

Agreed, and if there was a left/right arrow in the left lane that's precisely the lane I would use. Until such time though it will be an illegal move. It is a very poor intersection.
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kev365428 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:38 am

Was there a R/H turn arrow in the R/H lane even? I couldn't see one.

Kev.
Kev365428

Postby MisuVir » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:42 am

Kev365428 wrote:Was there a R/H turn arrow in the R/H lane even? I couldn't see one.

Kev.

RH lane doesn't need a turn arrow as it is implied by the road rules. Still, better to have the lanes marked to avoid the inevitable confusion.
MisuVir

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:47 am

Kev365428 wrote:Was there a R/H turn arrow in the R/H lane even? I couldn't see one.

Kev.

No, two lanes with no arrows.
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:48 am

MisuVir wrote:

Kev.

RH lane doesn't need a turn arrow as it is implied by the road rules. Still, better to have the lanes marked to avoid the inevitable confusion.

Given the lack of road rule knowledge displayed in general these days I've always thought that arrows should be painted everywhere where there's any chance of someone "getting it wrong" whether accidentally or deliberate.
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Summernight » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:52 pm

MM in the shopping centre car park on Sunday night - he decides to drive over the pedestrian crossing (the zebra style ones) and then reverse his car back over said pedestrian crossing into a car park so he is facing forwards. The zebra crossing services a downwards staircase so you can't see peds until they are stepping out onto the ped crossing.

My partner was crossing the zebra crossing at the time. This driver stops his car, so partner thinks he's seen him and that it is safe to cross and just as my partner is behind the car the MM starts reversing again over the ped crossing, causing my partner to have to dart out of the way so as not to get hit. MM's response when the partner said "You almost hit me" was "I saw you"...

:roll:

Just because you saw him doesn't mean you can start reversing while he is still crossing on the ped crossing behind your car. The layout of the car park means trying to reverse your car into that exact spot right there is stupid and potentially dangerous (a driver could easily knock over a child who is below the line of sight and darts out of the staircase over the crossing).
Summernight

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:52 pm

cp123

Postby uppo75 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:48 pm

Boognoss wrote:
FuzzyDropbear wrote:Hmmm, so that's "we don't really care what our employees are up to as we don't care about our company image" and P.S. please take down your video which highlights this value which is one of our companies core founding principals. :P

Safe riding!

I thought it was strange wording regarding taking down the video. I received an out of office message stating that Lucy is away until next Monday so who knows, it might take that long to receive another reply.

I found this on their website:
I thought the bits in red are interesting.

SAFETY SYSTEM UPDATES
December 5, 2013Uncategorized

Untitled

Green Options has successfully achieved renewal of our third party accreditation in our Work Health and Safety and Environmental Management Systems.

This accreditation is extremely important to Green Options as well as our clients and is a great milestone to have accomplished

Green Options would like to thank everyone involved in ensuring their sites and crews are working as safely as possible at all times.

Congratulations to Damien and his team at UNSW and Gene and the crew at Macquarie University. These sites performed highly during our accreditation process. A lot of hard work goes in to ensuring Green Options complies with the many regulations and compliances our industry requires and the effort doesn’t go unnoticed.

Keep up the great work everyone and remember, safety is everyone’s responsibility.
uppo75

Postby jules21 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:16 pm

Boognoss wrote:I thought it was strange wording regarding taking down the video. I received an out of office message stating that Lucy is away until next Monday so who knows, it might take that long to receive another reply.

she's a bit confused i'd say! :D
jules21

Postby Boognoss » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:29 pm

uppo75 wrote:
Boognoss wrote:

Safe riding!

I found this on their website:
I thought the bits in red are interesting.

SAFETY SYSTEM UPDATES
December 5, 2013Uncategorized

Untitled

Green Options has successfully achieved renewal of our third party accreditation in our Work Health and Safety and Environmental Management Systems.

This accreditation is extremely important to Green Options as well as our clients and is a great milestone to have accomplished

Green Options would like to thank everyone involved in ensuring their sites and crews are working as safely as possible at all times.

Congratulations to Damien and his team at UNSW and Gene and the crew at Macquarie University. These sites performed highly during our accreditation process. A lot of hard work goes in to ensuring Green Options complies with the many regulations and compliances our industry requires and the effort doesn’t go unnoticed.

Keep up the great work everyone and remember, safety is everyone’s responsibility.

Nice find. If the emails continue I might bring that up :-).
n = 3 for now

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby queequeg » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:20 pm

I can think of lots of words, none of which are suitable for this forum.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion