Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:27 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Effort #1 from today, driver fails to give way across footpath and tells me to go **** ******. Not many Brisbane drivers know to give way when entering or leaving a road related area. I had to slow down from about 30kmh to 0kmh to not go into the side of him.

Warning - language from driver, also my voice starts out squeeky :oops:

Notice that after you followed him he lost all interest in parking and getting out? Pretty typical, no stones without their tonnes of heroism.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

by BNA » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

BNA

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:35 pm

Not for the first time i'm absolutely astonished at how calmly the situation was handled, I don't know if it's the knowledge that you will have video evidence of the fool but I really don't think i'd have been able to control myself in the same situation.

And +1 to what MB said, it's a good giggle seeing the big tough guy running away from the scary man on the bicycle :) .

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:44 pm

And my 2nd one from today. No massive deal as my spidey senses were on fire at that point, but it was left to me to brake to avoid the collision.

The road here is awkward - constantly changing width with extra bits of bitumen tacked on for 20 meters before disappearing again, traffic calming devices, a shoulder BAZ that appears and disappears into nothingness while going around a sharp bend, and I'm doing a right turn at the next intersection - hence my position. Had already shoulder checked and knew there was no cars behind me.

InTheWoods

Postby wellington_street » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:52 pm

Groin cam! :lol:

I had an encounter today too - riding up William Street in the lane, due to no cycle lanes, and there's a few cars behind me so I pull into the left lane where it briefly widens to two lanes to let some pass. The second vehicle is an X-trail driven by a middle-aged man, office worker type, who beeps me and then I see him giving me the angry point (get off the road). Unsurprisingly, I catch him at the 2nd next set of signals, so I park the bike and go have a chat about the road rules. The green light came fairly quickly, so I told him "drive off !! BAN ME NOW FOR SWEARING !!" and he drove off, but missed the lights. So conveniently we had round 2 - another 90 seconds to explain him the road rules. Dumb as a doorknob he was, although at least brave enough to have a discussion with a 6ft+ cyclist, unlike the last moron who tried to intimidate me with their steel cage :lol:
wellington_street

Postby Tomca74 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:27 pm

Mulger bill wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:Effort #1 from today, driver fails to give way across footpath and tells me to go **** ******. Not many Brisbane drivers know to give way when entering or leaving a road related area. I had to slow down from about 30kmh to 0kmh to not go into the side of him.

Warning - language from driver, also my voice starts out squeeky :oops:

Notice that after you followed him he lost all interest in parking and getting out? Pretty typical, no stones without their tonnes of heroism.

So you got on the footpath like we get told all the time and that's not good enough either?
Do the motorists a favour and stay inside.........
Tomca74

Postby Ross » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 am

Ross

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:36 am

jasonc

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:23 am

jasonc wrote:http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2097080/helensburgh-hit-and-run-accused-faces-court/?cs=12

wo me ffs

I don't believe stupidity, gross negligence and callous disregard for human life can be attributed to a medical condition.
biker jk

Postby zero » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:01 pm

biker jk wrote:
jasonc wrote:http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/2097080/helensburgh-hit-and-run-accused-faces-court/?cs=12

wo me ffs

I don't believe stupidity, gross negligence and callous disregard for human life can be attributed to a medical condition.

Not convinced she's using it for anything other than to seek continuation of bail.

if found guilty at the conclusion of due process, she is likely to be found guilty, the combination absolutely warrants a custodial sentence in my opinion, so if she has a reason to need medical treatment, now is a very good time to seek it.

An interesting side note, my company does work for the emergency services, and we had reason to be onsite at a service center, and in discussions with staff there we found out that a painful number of calls to triple zero are actually about bingles, with the two largest categories being people doing the runner, and people not handing over details (often not insurance details, which in fact in NSW they aren't obliged to).
zero

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:03 pm

wo me ffs

maybe it already has....
jasonc

Postby zero » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:05 pm

Might be good to find out who the prosecutor is.

Wow.
zero

Postby hannos » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:21 pm

jasonc wrote:

wo me ffs

That was a cyclist you stupid cow...
2010 BMC SLC01
hannos

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:42 pm

Love how she is pulling her best sulky face.

How about a Bikes for the banned scheme! For motorists involved in altercations with cyclists.
Wakatuki

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm

This user was banned for using profanities at that "dumb ass" woman above.
Lukeyboy

Postby Wakatuki » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:33 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:This user was banned for using profanities at that "dumb ass" woman above.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wakatuki

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Rhubarb wrote:Perhaps my poor video editing skills have misguided you here. The highlight of the video was the guy who went through the intersection on a very late red light, long after ours had gone green.

The taxi was just an obstacle to be watchful of. It was 2 way but I thought it was a single solid line. I've now just noticed the break you mentioned. Regardless, it was the RLJ that concerned me most.

Aaaaagh! Sorry about that. Still, it provided an interesting side-discussion on crossing double lines. Until Wellington mentioned otherwise I assumed that crossing double white lines was OK for U-turns in othe states, apparently not. Others were not aware that it IS allowed in WA.

And to your lost point, anyone going thru red lights late qualifies as a mornon motorist.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:50 pm

Jonno wrote:
Jonno wrote:

Squeezed by an impatient Transperth bus driver this morning.

Update: Transperth Joondalup have contacted me and the lady I dealt with is a fellow cyclist. To cut a long story short she is dropping off a USB key so that they can use the footage in their driver training program. The driver is new and thought he had given me enough space, however he was then shown the footage and now realises that he misjudged the length of the bus and is apologetic.

When I used to commute along major roads I found that two things conspire to create the problem - first that people passing bikes spacially process the situation as if they are passing an almost stationary object (they fail to realise the comparable speeds we can achieve) so they can cut in as though passing a parked vehicle. Secondly, that a long vehicle will intersect a moving object a lot further up the road.

On the positive side, while it may be illegal and careless of drivers to make that mistake, as a rider the place that my path will intersect a long vehicle is a fair way down the road. So, unless I am even less attentive than the errant driver, I am easily able to tap the brake and avoid real danger. Albeit at a mildly annoying cost to my speed.

I am only applying this to roads that in the order of 60kph. Faster roads and bigger trucks introduce some extra hazards of turbulence and venturi effects.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle
ColinOldnCranky

Postby queequeg » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:41 pm

hannos wrote:
jasonc wrote:

wo me ffs

That was a cyclist you stupid cow...

Ah yes, the imaginary P-Plater that I didn't get any details for, but they smashed my windscreen right where I ran that cyclist off the road just after it happened. According to Facebook she posted that comment at 6:50am, which was only 30 minutes after it happened!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:55 pm

And was drinking the night before....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby jasonc » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:00 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:And was drinking the night before....ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. :lol:

are you suggesting she may have still been over the alcohol limit? :mrgreen:
jasonc

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:32 pm

None of the sort. I mean doesn't a cyclist look very similar to a P Plater in a car coming from the opposite direction :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lukeyboy

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:19 pm

Had my MM encounter this afternoon. Coming off the Indro Bridge onto Oxley Rd heading southbound, as I go over the brow of the hill a car is coming the other way down Oxley Rd and turns right into Rosebery Tce. No problem. However some impatient, indecisive and incompetent (what a combination) woman in an orange SUV drives up Rosebery Tce wanting to turn right onto Oxley Rd and head under the Bridge. Because she is far too busy to stop at the STOP line, she rolls it while the car is still progressing from Oxley Rd into Rosebery Tce. The car means she can't see me coming down the bike lane. A second later and the car is out of her sight line, she sees me and slams on the brakes. Now she is stopped across the bike lane. Well done, lady. I probably looked at her a bit "What the hell, hero?" but start moving right so I can go around the front of her. THEN she decides to go. Slowly. I'm already well out in the lane and have to slam on the anchors and duck hard left to avoid slamming in the side of her nice orange crapmobile. After taking evasive action I yell 'OI! What the hell are you doing?". She doesn't appear to notice. :evil:

Just Riding Along
GeoffInBrisbane

Postby jules21 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:31 pm

InTheWoods wrote:

dat moment when you realise this isn't turning out the way you wanted :)
jules21

Postby Marto » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:39 pm

jules21 wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:

dat moment when you realise this isn't turning out the way you wanted :)

And all you can think of to reply is "okay".

Well handled, InTheWoods. With the window open like that, and having them on the run, you might be tempted to go something like: [language warning] http://youtu.be/dMpWkmqfOjY

You were much too polite for that.
Marto

Postby duncanm » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 pm

The numpty in the Camry who tried an outside overtake as I was turning right into Herring Rd at Macquarie Center.. in the heavy rain we just had, no less.

He pulled back when I signalled left and gave him a dirty look.. then did a MGIF overtake in the right lane only to stop at the next red light.

I gave him a friendly wave as I rode past him on the M2 about 3k's down the road :)
duncanm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion