Moron Motorists #3

Summernight

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:06 pm

InTheWoods wrote:This is not mine but I've just been sent it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its from Brisbane.

:shock: Words (well, PG ones) cannot express my reaction at that footage. I'm going to be looking even closer in my rear view (on the bike) from now on. Sheesh, that was terrible.
Last edited by Summernight on Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:13 pm

Summernight wrote: :shock: Words (well, PG ones) cannot express my reaction at that footage. I'm going to be looking even closer in my rear view from now on. Sheesh, that was terrible.

I think this is ultimately the problem - it doesn't matter how often you look in the mirror, if the driver uses their vehicle as a weapon, you will not be able to avoid it. It's the road use equivalent of a coward punch. Rider just doing their thing, and gets thumped in the back of the head, without care or impunity.

Between this, and the Sydney prang, it has to get some more attention in Parliament soon.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:14 pm

Duncanm I understand what you are saying.

What may be plain dangerous with two motor vehicles becomes life threatening for a cyclist.

Scott_C

Postby Scott_C » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:37 pm

InTheWoods wrote:This is not mine but I've just been sent it :shock: :shock: :shock:

Its from Brisbane.

The footage has been picked up for an article in the Courier Mail and comments are open with the usual idiots being glad that there is one less bike on the roads and calling for bikes to pay rego.

cowled

Postby cowled » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:42 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
duncanm wrote:I think we attribute too much to malice in this sort of situation.

I strongly suggest this is just an incompetent driver who wasn't taking care when she first chose to tailgate the cyclist, then didn't pay attention to her right foot when she looked in her mirror / over her shoulder to check if she could overtake.

So you're driving your car along and another car comes up 1 meter behind you and tailgates. Do you think to yourself "its ok they're just not paying attention" or "that dangerous aggressive #$%(AT)! is trying to intimidate me out of the way"?

The tailgating itself is malicious, especially considering the rider is not in a metal cage and is vulnerable. The driver should be leaving extra space because of that.

I totally agree with both duncanm and ITW here. It is possible for a person's behaviour to be seen as dangerous and aggressive from an objective point of view whether that person felt as though they were acting aggressively or dangerously. In this case, I believe a "dangerous operation" charge is entirely warranted, regardless of the driver's intent. The actions of the driver were very obviously dangerous.

I'm a bit overcome by the similarities to my own crash. Looks to me like the driver was having an impatient MGIF moment and then completely failed to allow a safe following distance when looking to merge.
Image 2015 Goal: 2,500km

FatGuts

Postby FatGuts » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:26 pm

Scott_C wrote:

Its from Brisbane.

The footage has been picked up for an article in the Courier Mail and comments are open with the usual idiots being glad that there is one less bike on the roads and calling for bikes to pay rego.

What annoys me is that anything to do with cyclists they have the comments open. Any other acciden you wouldnt, what is the differece?

queequeg

Postby queequeg » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:41 pm

Scott_C wrote:

Its from Brisbane.

I am not going to read the comments, but on what planet can no charges have been laid. Did the police see the same video I did? Is the driver claiming that the cyclist swerved into their path or jumped in front of them? Really, there are two possible outcomes: 1) the driver did it on purpose, in which case they should lose their licence and go to jail, or 2) the driver is truly incompetent and didn't mean to do it, in which case they should lose their licence forever at the very least.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '15 Cervelo S5

Big_Red

Postby Big_Red » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:58 pm

While you have the usual rubbish comments on CM about rego, the cyclist was not in a bike lane, etc, it appears that the majority of comments support that the car driver was clearly in the wrong. Driver in this case needs to have the book thrown at them as they can't cite a smidy nor was the sun in their eyes. Hope the cyclist gets the driver to stump up for a new bike, loss of earnings, medical costs, etc. Sadly some people only learn how to play nicely when they are stung in the hip pocket.

edhore

Postby edhore » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:18 pm

Postby Big_Red » Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:58 pm

While you have the usual rubbish comments on CM about rego, the cyclist was not in a bike lane, etc, it appears that the majority of comments support that the car driver was clearly in the wrong. Driver in this case needs to have the book thrown at them as they can't cite a smidy nor was the sun in their eyes. Hope the cyclist gets the driver to stump up for a new bike, loss of earnings, medical costs, etc. Sadly some people only learn how to play nicely when they are stung in the hip pocket.

We have been actively working with CM to keep the comments clean, this has been a tough gig, and CM have been accommodating.
I'm not cool enough to put anything here.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:35 pm

Yes, I just checked the comments and some of the worst ones have been taken down.
Especially the ones from Truckie Cameron Hayton!
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:41 pm

duncanm wrote:

Its from Brisbane.

I wonder if the driver will get
a) off
b) a 1 demerit fine for following too closely
c) a dangerous driving charge and/or assault charge considering it was obviously a deliberate act

I think we attribute too much to malice in this sort of situation.

I strongly suggest this is just an incompetent driver who wasn't taking care when she first chose to tailgate the cyclist, then didn't pay attention to her right foot when she looked in her mirror / over her shoulder to check if she could overtake.

Fortunately, the cyclist is ok.

Edited to remove my comments....that's what I get for viewing the vid on a small screen.
Just checked again and yes the car involved has come from the uni and was traveling eastbound.

Anyway, while the cyclists may be physically ok, I can only imagine the mental pain and suffering that she will now be living with.
Last edited by marinmomma on Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lisa

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:53 pm

The offending Audi is on the left hand side of the screen at 00:12 - 00:16 seconds in. The white car that's almost gone through the intersection on the right hand side is a Honda and isn't involved.

The poster of the video says in the comments on YouTube that the rider was OK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLAuktN2N10#t=16

Quote from YouTube page:
"This isn't meant as a witch hunt... The driver stopped immediately and was very apologetic and did what they could to assist the rider.

They also went to the local police station after the ambulance left and gave a written statement so any further action is purely between the rider and police.

This is meant only as a warning to car drivers to pay attention when driving near cyclists. It only takes a second of inattention (she was shoulder checking, I assume to try and jump in front of me? I actually gave a mental thumbs up at the time because she didn't cut me off as I'd anticipated) and you can really run someone's day... Or life, had luck not been on the cyclists side! "

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:22 pm

I think this belongs in this Moron Motorists thread. It's a study about reversing cameras and reverse sensors. Can't say I'm too surprised on the findings. :evil:

http://canberratimes.drive.com.au/motor ... 34wxc.html

The drivers were asked to reverse the study vehicle, but a foam dummy representing a child was placed behind them, either moving or stationary.

The test showed that a moving dummy was easier to spot, but when the vehicle lacked either sensors or cameras, the drivers hit the stationary target every time.

Drivers with rear cameras hit the stationary target the least, but still caused a collision 56 per cent of the time. Parking sensors helped just six per cent of the drivers avoid the stationary dummy.

Strangely, in vehicles with both rear cameras and parking sensors 75 per cent of drivers hit the dummy, which is a higher rate than with cameras alone.

leighthebee

Postby leighthebee » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:50 pm

Its from Brisbane.

I wonder if the driver will get
a) off
b) a 1 demerit fine for following too closely
c) a dangerous driving charge and/or assault charge considering it was obviously a deliberate act

I ride this way to work and the only reason your in that lane is to jump queue on people driving sensibly. I can't imagine it ever being peak hour busy and never has from my experience. I have taken that entire lane many times. Most drivers see a cyclist in that lane and just hang in the right lane. I usually cruise from the lights and wait for the right lane to clear before merging right. The bigger hazard is the merge a hundred metres on where the cars merge off the pacific highway. This is the reason I wait for the right lane to clear. That way I'm only looking to one side for cars running me down. An incident here (I won't use accident) is TOTALLY unnecessary.

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:49 pm

http://youtu.be/Pq_0zSoC22A

This young guy get my vote of MM today. Short stretch of service road at Oxley is way too narrow to share, but he lays on the horn and 2 seconds later does an Audi on me.

duncanm

Postby duncanm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:11 pm

Tomca74 wrote:http://youtu.be/Pq_0zSoC22A

This young guy get my vote of MM today. Short stretch of service road at Oxley is way too narrow to share, but he lays on the horn and 2 seconds later does an Audi on me.

c'mon - what happened next., I'm in suspenders!

human909

Postby human909 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:56 pm

Please, please report that as a deliberate hit and run. This sort of behaviour can't go unreported!

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:58 pm

duncanm wrote:

c'mon - what happened next., I'm in suspenders!

+1

human909 wrote:

Please, please report that as a deliberate hit and run. This sort of behaviour can't go unreported!

+1

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:23 pm

Not sure whether this goes in here or Dumb Pedestrians.

I get to now go on the illustrious list of cyclists who have been doored and then abused:

And for the handlebar version (which has better audio): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIAqzpunOGo

As you can see in the second footage, the GoPro on the handlebar got hit by the door and now has a ding in the housing, and the K-edge mount isn't quite right anymore. The brake cable and shifter cable are both damaged as well as scrapes on the frame and handlebar so I need to take the bike in for a full check tomorrow. I will have bruises and I have a light scrape on my knee with slight pain but otherwise I'm fine.

Thank you to the cyclists for trying to help me and the taxi driver for being as helpful as possible given the circumstances (he told me where he picked them up and where he was going but since they paid cash he couldn't really give any more details). Also thank you to the police who attended and were very courteous, even though it is unlikely without someone recognising one of these three men that the man who doored me will be located and charged for the dooring and for failing to give details at the scene of a collision.

Does anyone know any of these men? They were picked up at the Tonic Bar, Crown Promenade by the taxi driver and were going to the theatre at the Regent Theatre. The police would like to talk to them.

Yes, that is the gutter bike lane on Collins St I keep complaining about. I didn't get more serious injuries because I go slowly along there (you can see me shifting down in the handlebar footage).

Pictures of the three men:

EDIT: And his name is not John Smith...

Tomca74

Postby Tomca74 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:30 pm

human909 wrote:

It's the fourth vehicle make contact with me in the last 2 years and the cops have told me no one seriously injured so cant do anything, any damage it's a civil matter not our problem to deal with, if you ride on the road you have to expect that.
This time I dealt with it myself. He has a couple of reminders that road rage can go both ways. I am glad I chose to go with spd pedals and mtb shoes not the fancy ones you get no grip with.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Summernight my blood is seething about that one. Time to send it viral to get them ID'd.

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:56 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Summernight my blood is seething about that one. Time to send it viral to get them ID'd.

Yep. A <language removed>

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:03 am

InTheWoods wrote:Summernight my blood is seething about that one. Time to send it viral to get them ID'd.

Agreed. Scumbags.

Gotta wonder if the pink ties be some sort of uniform...
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:13 am

I'd call that one a hit & run. 10 year gaol term mandatory for the 'gents' :twisted:
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:46 am

Summernight wrote:Does anyone know any of these men? They were picked up at the Tonic Bar, Crown Promenade by the taxi driver and were going to the theatre at the Regent Theatre. The police would like to talk to them.

Shared it on Reddit and Twitter in case someone can help.

Andrew
Andrew
~ Aushiker.com

Return to “General Cycling Discussion”