Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:50 pm

First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

by BNA » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lukeyboy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Bloody cyclists. Because we never break the law they need to pay rego so we can report them when they run red lights or break any law that we see!!!
Image

Wait a minute.........
Image
User avatar
Lukeyboy
 
Posts: 2220
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 2:38 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Marto » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:50 pm

ldrcycles wrote:First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.


For those without time to read recent rag/facetube comments re cycling, here is a video of an MM describing their feelings on the passing rules:

(You may want to turn on the captions)

Image
User avatar
Marto
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:08 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:10 pm

Police SMS red light running woman

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:58 pm

Man acquitted of culpable driving in crash that killed his friend

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2yGB4kccm
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:02 pm

ldrcycles wrote:First day of the new passing rules in Qld, so the local rag has been inviting every moron in the world to say whatever the hell they want on their facebook page, the hatred and ignorance really is frightening. Spent the better part of an hour refuting all the nonsense about rego and head on collisions, just maybe one or 2 people will actually see sense. It's at least worth a shot, I can't complain if i'm not willing to try and do something.


Well it had to happen eventually, some moron with nothing better to do has decided to refute every comment i make with "you arguments are stupid and you look stupid and you risk your life riding on MY road etc". Well i've got a cold and an RDO and i'm not afraid to use it!
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 6538
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Ross wrote:Man acquitted of culpable driving in crash that killed his friend

Read more: http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... z2yGB4kccm


Robins drove the Mitsubishi Triton utility, with Mr Green in the passenger seat, and two men in the tray.

But defence barrister James Lawton argued Robins' actions did not match the definition for culpable driving, which required jurors to find he, to a gross degree, failed to take the standard of care that a reasonable person would have observed in the same circumstances.


well i guess it's not just cyclists who get shafted by juries. what are these people smoking?
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 8637
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby biker jk » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Ross wrote:Police SMS red light running woman

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss


She probably read the text while driving. :lol:
User avatar
biker jk
 
Posts: 2594
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:18 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:27 pm

55 seatbelt offenders caught in March

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... March.aspx
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby WarbyD » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:50 pm

Ross wrote:55 seatbelt offenders caught in March

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... March.aspx


Probably at least a few people who failed to wipe adequately too.


.... My point being, so what? What relevance does this have, to anything?

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
WarbyD
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:13 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Aushiker » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:03 pm

This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...

Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.


Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Image
User avatar
Aushiker
 
Posts: 20096
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:55 pm
Location: Fremantle, WA

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby g-boaf » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Blue AU Falcon who blasted on the horn on Sunday as he passed me going on the M7 motorway (I was on the shoulder).

I was in the middle of the breakdown shoulder, no need for this dill to do that. I never flinch in those occasions anyhow. Annoying. :roll:

The cool motorist was the C-Class driver who could see I had to swerve around a huge field of glass and gave me the room to take the motorway left lane.
User avatar
g-boaf
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Aushiker wrote:This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...

Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.


Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew


:shock: :shock: :shock:
wellington_street
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:43 pm

Aushiker wrote:This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...

Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.


Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew


Unbelievable. Definitely a candidate for licence retesting this guy. Glad the rider was ok.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 3724
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Lizzy » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

::atomic facepalm::
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
User avatar
Lizzy
 
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:04 pm
Location: Wild West

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby alexander » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Ross wrote:
Aushiker wrote:This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...

Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.


Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew


Unbelievable. Definitely a candidate for licence retesting this guy. Glad the rider was ok.


sounds like he wanted to do a hit and run, only problem being, that the person was in the offenders vehicle.
If you've got a $10 head, get a $10 helmet
alexander
 
Posts: 359
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:56 am
Location: Footscray

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby wellington_street » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:14 pm

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-or ... 6878692855

'Truckie Drives on wrong side of Hume Freeway for 16km' :shock:
wellington_street
 
Posts: 956
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby 2ndeffort » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:12 pm

wellington_street wrote:http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/truckie-drives-on-wrong-side-of-hume-freeway-for-16km/story-fni0fee2-1226878692855

'Truckie Drives on wrong side of Hume Freeway for 16km' :shock:


That's madness, truckies should have to pay rego.......oh, hang on a minute!
Image
2ndeffort
 
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:32 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chriscole » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:36 pm

Riding home from work this afternoon, heading south along Ainsworth St approaching the intersection with Hindmarsh Dr (3 lanes each way), intending to continue straight across the intersection and then wait to make a hook turn; you can see the purpose-specific bicycle hook turn markings in the intersection. (This is generally the Approach-Of-Least-Badness for turning right at this intersection). Approaching the intersection (from the top of the photo), riding close to the curb in the left lane, with a red light, and 2 or 3 cars queued at it already (much like the photo below). Depending on circumstance I'm generally happy to either filter up the left side to these lights (there is enough room beside a queue of cars, if there is one) or wait behind the cars if someone is a little far over to the left.

Approaching the small queue of cars I hear a probably-a-big-vehicle noise somewhere behind me and do a head check to see if there's a truck or a bus coming. Sure enough, there's a bus, braking to come to a stop at the lights. Groovy. The bus moves past me as it slows down... and veers distinctly to the left... and keeps doing it... it seems Mr Bus Driver is going to turn right at the lights, and wants to take it nice and wide to the left in order to do so. Which is great... except for the fact that he has now pinched me firmly into a good old-fashioned tall 90 degree gutter. I contemplated trying to nip through the tiny gap that was left, but the light had just turned green, and the bus was just starting off again.... which was clearly going to take it even further to the left, and then if he hadn't directly driven into me at that point, probably would have cleaned me up with the arse end of the bus as he turned right.

I decided the more life-prolonging option was to hop up the gutter (first day I'd ridden my new mtb to work rather than a road bike... all hail squishy tyres!) onto the grass. The traffic was still pulling away slowly by this point, so I was able to ride up level with the bus doors and attract Mr Bus Driver's attention. I rather politely utilised some fairly universal sign language to indicate that I was not at all enthused about his interesting driving choices. Sadly, it was painfully evident from his expression and response that he was blissfully clueless that he may have done anything at all that might be construed as not-quite-right. :-/


Image
chriscole
 
Posts: 124
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:47 pm

So your clueless bus-driver found it necessary to pull right over into the left lane, cramming you into the kerb, in order to make a right-turn at this very obtuse-angled intersection ???

The police station is right over here, to hand back your licence Mr Clueless Bus Wrangler :roll:


BTW, interesting road markings they have on the road there to indicate where cyclists doing a hook-turn should wait. I have not seen any of these in Melbourne or anywhere else.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 18283
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Nice wet day in Melbourne today and, true to form, the drivers were in fine form.

Riding along StKilda Rd a car stops in the bike lane to let out a passenger. Really, when are these deads***s going to understand the bike lane is a traffic lane. Anyway, the spot where they stopped had those orange plastic poles preventing cars from parking there, so I swing left to get around the idiot. Passenger promptly opens door without looking. A few hundred metres later the cyclist in front of me has to swerve to avoid a door opening in front of him. All this on very wet roads.

These people are clueless, they should have to pass some sort of test to be allowed to drive, oh wait a minute, they do don't they. For all the difference it makes. They're even worse at aiming their cars in the wet too, and they're not real flash at the best of times. Why can't drivers work out where the left side of their vehicle is, I can when I drive.

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1321
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:49 am

DavidS wrote:Nice wet day in Melbourne today and, true to form, the drivers were in fine form.
W... They're even worse at aiming their cars in the wet too, and they're not real flash at the best of times. Why can't drivers work out where the left side of their vehicle is, I can when I drive.

DS


Good work making it through alive!! On the ride home on Tuesday night I saw 3 different drivers approach intersections too fast, slam on the brakes, lock em all up and slide into the intersection... Different intersection each time.... and my commute is only 10km long!! It's damn important to pay attention to every driver in the rain, especially in Ballarat....... :roll: Luckily none resulted in collisions with other drivers. If it had've, I would've gladly stopped and offered video evidence to the innocent party.
User avatar
FuzzyDropbear
 
Posts: 296
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:55 pm
Location: Ballarat, VIC

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:01 am

DavidS wrote:Riding along StKilda Rd a car stops in the bike lane to let out a passenger. Really, when are these deads***s going to understand the bike lane is a traffic lane. Anyway, the spot where they stopped had those orange plastic poles preventing cars from parking there, so I swing left to get around the idiot. Passenger promptly opens door without looking. A few hundred metres later the cyclist in front of me has to swerve to avoid a door opening in front of him. All this on very wet roads.


Well, according to the news a couple of weeks ago - those bike lanes might not actually be bike lanes (even with the pretty green colour and the white line and the bike symbol). No 'sign on a pole' = not a bike lane... :roll:

I think St Kilda Rd was mentioned as a 'bike lane that is not a bike lane' or was that just around the St Kilda Rd Police Station?

Not that that detracts from the MMs opening doors without looking and opening them into another line of traffic (ie. you) to boot.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1588
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:12 am

I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

Yambra is a 2 lane in each direction road. I was riding at about 7am, not a lot of traffic, and I was in the left lane, where a vehicle generally has their left hand side tires. Most cars passed me with plenty of space, but 2 Utes decided they had a point to prove - or so it seemed. One passed me with about 50 cm and hooted as he went passed. About 20 seconds later another ute, pulling a trailer left about 10 - 15cm - really scared me. However, neither of them actually hit me, so I am not sure if any offence was committed. Both vehicles got caught at the lights as I pulled up, but I didn't engage with them at all.

I have since seen that there is a parallel path that I could have used, but it does not appear to a mandatory Cycle Lane, so I think I was fully entitled to be using that road - that said, I don't think I will use it again.
CalvinAndHobbes
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:26 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cowled » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:35 am

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

Yambra is a 2 lane in each direction road. I was riding at about 7am, not a lot of traffic, and I was in the left lane, where a vehicle generally has their left hand side tires. Most cars passed me with plenty of space, but 2 Utes decided they had a point to prove - or so it seemed. One passed me with about 50 cm and hooted as he went passed. About 20 seconds later another ute, pulling a trailer left about 10 - 15cm - really scared me. However, neither of them actually hit me, so I am not sure if any offence was committed. Both vehicles got caught at the lights as I pulled up, but I didn't engage with them at all.

I have since seen that there is a parallel path that I could have used, but it does not appear to a mandatory Cycle Lane, so I think I was fully entitled to be using that road - that said, I don't think I will use it again.


I'm glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, I don't think the police will be of any help. They will probably see the incident as a case of your word against theirs. Also, the fact that you were not hit would make it difficult to prove that the driver's contravened the requirement to leave sufficient room to avoid causing a collision.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
cowled
 
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], gazman, Hugor, human909



Popular Bike Shops
Torpedo 7 Torpedo7 AU
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ebay Ebay AU

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter

> FREE BNA Stickers
> BNA Cycling Kit