Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:37 am

No segregated bike paths/shared use paths are mandatory for cyclists to use. You are riding a road vehicle. The only exception to this would be a path alongside a resticted access road (freeway).

I've heard comments from many people that Canberra drivers cannot cope well with cyclists on the roads - they all seem to think that we should keep to the bike path network. What a surprising response ! So next time I see a driver parking his car badly, it'll be OK for me to go up and swing a spanner at his head?? He was doing wrong yeah?
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:18 am

BNA

Postby elantra » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:18 am

Aushiker wrote:This is seriously hard to believe ... had to check the date ...

Yesterday, just before lunch time a cyclist was riding along Ipswich Road inbound outside the PA Hospital. As he neared the car park entrance he was overtaken by a utility and before he could react, the utility turned across his path into the hospital.

The 26-year-old rider hit the side of the tray, flew over the handlebars and landed in the tray of the still moving vehicle. This all happened without causing injury. In attempt to get the driver to stop, he began banging on the roof of the vehicle. Apparently this stunned the 61-year-old driver because he continued driving with the cyclist standing in the tray.

The cyclist managed to phone the police in attempt to get the driver to stop. By this time the utility had made it out of the hospital grounds, down O’Keefe Street and onto Old Cleveland Road. This is where officers finally found them.

The cyclist was reunited with his pushbike and the driver will receive an offence notice for failing to give way.

Source:myPolice South Brisbane

Andrew

Not hard to believe if you have ever been to PA Hospital mate.
"Technology gives us much more information but Education is never be able to give us the skill to evaluate it"
elantra

Postby nescius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:06 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

I have reported incidents to the police before but have never had video evidence to back up my claims, so I never got what I would consider to be a satisfactory outcome. With video it might be a different story so I would encourage you to report them and provide the evidence. I'm not sure the drivers will be charged with anything but it may be enough for the police to have a chat with them.
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby Aushiker » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:50 pm

cowled wrote:I'm glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, I don't think the police will be of any help. They will probably see the incident as a case of your word against theirs. Also, the fact that you were not hit would make it difficult to prove that the driver's contravened the requirement to leave sufficient room to avoid causing a collision.

It is on video so that should address the your word against their word aspect.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby cowled » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:09 pm

Aushiker wrote:
cowled wrote:I'm glad to hear you're okay. Unfortunately, I don't think the police will be of any help. They will probably see the incident as a case of your word against theirs. Also, the fact that you were not hit would make it difficult to prove that the driver's contravened the requirement to leave sufficient room to avoid causing a collision.

It is on video so that should address the your word against their word aspect.

Andrew

True that. I mustn't have read the OP's post properly.

The video should help somewhat, however, I have noticed that police officers will always ask if you have been hit or if there is any damage. They may not be keen to do anything if there is no damage, but it would certainly be worth taking the footage to police and they might issue a verbal warning to the drivers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
cowled

Postby herzog » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:43 pm

Definitely report it to the cops and show them the footage.

Even if it only results in a phone call from the police, at least these idiots know they've been reported and have been caught on video.

It will also go on their file.
herzog

Postby lobstermash » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:53 pm

Speaking of Canberra, I'm getting bloody sick of vans and SUVs stopping in the bike lane along Adelaide Ave...
Passing on your right - me, said just about never...
lobstermash

Postby hunch » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:08 pm

herzog wrote:Definitely report it to the cops and show them the footage.

Even if it only results in a phone call from the police, at least these idiots know they've been reported and have been caught on video.

It will also go on their file.

Probably a think of the children response, but in NSW - appears you can beat the cops around the head with these comments now if they don't act on 3rd party video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSM_6cxFt0&t=30s
hunch

Postby il padrone » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:29 pm

hunch wrote:Probably a think of the children response, but in NSW - appears you can beat the cops around the head with these comments now if they don't act on 3rd party video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiSM_6cxFt0&t=30s

Hey, but he didn't hit anyone so it should be OK :wink: The police won't bother taking any action. Waste of resources. Won't stand up in court. CPS will knock it back..... the fairies say we should leave him alone :twisted:

Just a shade of hypocrisy in those police comments ?? :roll: :x
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby skull » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:48 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:I had 2 extremely close passes today in Canberra on Yambra Drive, as it approaches Hindmarsh Drive. I have it on video, but before I post it, I was wondering if is it worth reporting it to police here. I don't normally ride in Canberra, being Sydney based, but will be working here for a while, so brought my bike.

Yambra is a 2 lane in each direction road. I was riding at about 7am, not a lot of traffic, and I was in the left lane, where a vehicle generally has their left hand side tires. Most cars passed me with plenty of space, but 2 Utes decided they had a point to prove - or so it seemed. One passed me with about 50 cm and hooted as he went passed. About 20 seconds later another ute, pulling a trailer left about 10 - 15cm - really scared me. However, neither of them actually hit me, so I am not sure if any offence was committed. Both vehicles got caught at the lights as I pulled up, but I didn't engage with them at all.

I have since seen that there is a parallel path that I could have used, but it does not appear to a mandatory Cycle Lane, so I think I was fully entitled to be using that road - that said, I don't think I will use it again.

Yamba Drive, I live just off that road near the Hospital. You couldn't pay me to ride on that road at 2AM let alone 7AM.

It is too narrrow, the drivers just don't give a stuff, it is an 80km/h zone and for Canberra at 7AM I would say that it is busy enough. Also just over the hill heading south and over the other side we are heading into Tuggers and a Bogan concentration. Yes there is a share path to the side and IMO it is pretty good, they have also just extended it from the Hospital down under the roundabout to link onto Adelaide ave an you can stay off the narrow roads well.

I am glad you were not hit, also good to not engage with the mouth breathers.

You are entitled to use the road but for future reference I would recommend using the share path, it is better than the road anyway.
skull

Postby CalvinAndHobbes » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:11 pm

Not knowing the area, I missed the entrance to the shared path. Won't make that mistake again.

Hoping to find a local bunch to ride with which will hopefully make it a bit safer.
CalvinAndHobbes

Postby skull » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:32 pm

CalvinAndHobbes wrote:Not knowing the area, I missed the entrance to the shared path. Won't make that mistake again.

Hoping to find a local bunch to ride with which will hopefully make it a bit safer.

What sort of riding you want to do.

Bunch rides on the South side leave from the bike shed at Woden. Not far from Yamba drive.

Tue 0600 hour of power, a fast and furious ride around the lake.

Wed 0600 goes up mugga way and then around through kingston, deakin and yarralumbe

Thi 0600 a group is out occasionally

Sat 0700, Bakery bunch

There is also Vets racing (If you are over 35) on Sat afternoons, their website is http://www.actvets.cc/
They also sometime do a Sunday ride meeting around 8AM
skull

Postby tekapo » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:57 am

Two morons this morning. The first, there was three lanes, left turn, straight and right, and a right turn lane. I was in the middle lane going straight. this moron over took within centimetres, them proceeded to turn right from the middle lane. Mind you, the right lane was completely empty. The second was a idiot that did a right turn from the side road right into my path, then stops almost completely. FFS, I was in a high vis, there is no way that she would had missed me if she looked.
tekapo

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:58 am

Should you feel like taking out some frustration on the idiots of society, a new facebook page has appeared called "Drivers for registration of bicycles"
wellington_street

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:12 am

skull wrote:
CalvinAndHobbes wrote:Not knowing the area, I missed the entrance to the shared path. Won't make that mistake again.

What sort of riding you want to do.

Bunch rides on the South side leave from the bike shed at Woden. Not far from Yamba drive.

Tue 0600 hour of power, a fast and furious ride around the lake.

Wed 0600 goes up mugga way and then around through kingston, deakin and yarralumbe

Thi 0600 a group is out occasionally

Sat 0700, Bakery bunch

There is also Vets racing (If you are over 35) on Sat afternoons, their website is http://www.actvets.cc/
They also sometime do a Sunday ride meeting around 8AM

There's 2 or 3 different Fri bunches leaving from Woden at 6am. One leaves from Bike Shed carpark, other 2 leave from traffic lights at cnr of Hindmarsh Dr and Melrose Dr.

Or there is Vikings bunch on Friday leaving from ANY Union Court at 6am. Several bunches, different speeds.

Also Wednesday there is Bilbys bunch leaving from Dickson Pool at 6am. Several bunches, different speeds.
Ross

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:21 am

wellington_street wrote:Should you feel like taking out some frustration on the idiots of society, a new facebook page has appeared called "Drivers for registration of bicycles"

Got my karma this morning? A very close shave and a pedestrian who stepped off a bus and yelled at me for riding at walking pace on a "footpath" (actually a shared path). :roll:
wellington_street

Postby warthog1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:14 pm

wellington_street wrote:Should you feel like taking out some frustration on the idiots of society, a new facebook page has appeared called "Drivers for registration of bicycles"

Had a look at that. Not recommended. Cognitive deficit++ :shock:
warthog1

Postby InTheWoods » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:22 pm

warthog1 wrote:

Actually I had a go the other day, nice and calm and logical. In the end I made so much sense, and won so many debates, that they deleted all my posts and banned me :P

One guy even believes the [british] royal society for the prevention of accidents has "the final say" on bringing in registration in qld. Cookoo land.
InTheWoods

Postby London Boy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:32 pm

warthog1 wrote:

It's always lovely to see the intelligentsia gathered together, ruminating on the big issues of the day, their massive brains working as if in unison to solve the world's most pressing and intractable problems. Cogito? Who he?

Srsly bro, it's truly a wonder to behold.
London Boy

Postby Summernight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
warthog1 wrote:

Actually I had a go the other day, nice and calm and logical. In the end I made so much sense, and won so many debates, that they deleted all my posts and banned me :P

:shock:

Why would they do that (delete your rational posts and ban you)? What is the point unless the page was created purely to troll? It sort of defies 'democracy' or logic if you can delete the sane voices and just want to keep the crazies.
Summernight

Postby il padrone » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:11 pm

Have a look summernight. The whole page is a complete red-kneck POS. Maybe not strictly a troll, but very much the same ilk. They want the crazies :roll: :o The truly disturbing thing is that some people will take this seriously.
il padrone

Postby wellington_street » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 pm

I like one thing about these sorts of facebook pages - when I see a "friend" liking a post from there I discover that he/she is in fact a complete moron and I should treat them with the contempt they deserve. Without it I would never have known...
wellington_street

Postby find_bruce » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:28 pm

InTheWoods wrote:Actually I had a go the other day, nice and calm and logical.

Well there's your problem - if you had said that bikes cannot be required to be registered because of article 42 of the Magna Carta, they probably would have agreed with you :lol:
find_bruce

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:24 pm

il padrone wrote:I've heard comments from many people that Canberra drivers cannot cope well with cyclists on the roads - they all seem to think that we should keep to the bike path network. What a surprising response ! So next time I see a driver parking his car badly, it'll be OK for me to go up and swing a spanner at his head?? He was doing wrong yeah?

You can start on this Mercedes driver. :evil:
Let me know if you need a hand

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=74347
Ross

Postby Ross » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:28 pm

Ross

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion