Moron Motorists #3

Ross

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:39 pm

Drunk old Vic man drives on after crash

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A DRUNKEN elderly man kept driving for several kilometres with a mangled front wheel scraping and sparking along the road after crashing into a traffic signal pole north of Melbourne, police say.

The man aged in his 80s was picked up by police who had received multiple calls after the traffic pole was hit in Taylors Lakes as he turned off the Calder Freeway onto Kings Road on Friday night.

Police said the Taylors Lakes man kept driving with one of the front wheels of his car buckled and twisted sideways and scraping and sparking along the road.

They said he told officers he was not aware he had been involved in a crash. :shock:

Police said the man, who had been drinking with friends in Gisborne, recorded a blood alcohol reading of 0.12, more than double the legal limit.

He was fined $641 and has lost his driver's licence for twelve months.
Punishment barely more than a slap on the wrist. :evil:
He should be made to undergo a full re-test in 12 months time to ensure he still has the skills and reflexes to drive.
At least he didn't hit a cyclist, pedestrian or another vehicle.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:46 pm

Ross wrote:To my way of thinking the two incidents are worlds apart in seriousness and consequence and the punishment for each is around the wrong way. Or perhaps the harsher penalty should apply to both.
Yes, I'd agree with that. Unfortunately the mandatory removal of vehicle and on-the-spot licence cancelation has only been applied to these 'hoon offences'.

Unfortunately (or some may say, fortunately) we give our judges discretion in sentencing. In Miss Davis' case she pleaded guilty to the one charge of dangerous driving. I've no idea what the maximum sentence is but no doubt she got dispensation for a guity plea, and the magistrate may have looked at a first offence (?) as one in which to avoid a custodial sentence. The severity of injuries is rarely considered in sentencing, beyond the circumstances of the actual events, AFAIK.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Ross

Postby Ross » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:28 pm

Off-duty policeman over the limit

http://www.news.com.au/national/breakin ... public_rss" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:12 am

Another one from the same night as the close pass, I saw this coming so was prepared to slow down and stay out of the way. 50 meters up the road the bus pushed his way back into the centre lane. Must have been late for dinner?

https://vimeo.com/92386217/

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:19 am

Speeding man overtakes Vic police car

A YOUNG man in Australia on a student visa allegedly drove his hire car more than 150km/h on a Victorian highway in peak Easter holiday traffic.

Police say the Chinese man was observed overtaking a tourist bus and numerous cars, including an unmarked police car, at high speed on the Bass Highway on Friday afternoon.

He was intercepted by highway patrol officers just before 5pm (AEST) after driving in holiday traffic and in excess of the highway's 100km/h speed limit.

The 22-year-old allegedly told officers he was "running late to get to Phillip Island".

Police did not impound the vehicle as it was a hire car, however, the man is facing multiple charges including driving at a dangerous speed.

He will face court on a date to be set.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:18 am

Heading through a roundabout on my commute this morning I noticed a black hilux sailing into it from my left. Put the hammer down to get through before him.
I've never used an air zound. I find "HEEEEY....,.,..F'CK" is quite effective. Got a wave of apology from the d'head as I pointed at my eyes. Look next time :x

Blame tapatalk
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:32 am

You don't mind so much if they wave and acknowledge that they made an error (as long as they don't hit you!) but when they pretend they didn't see you or worse start abusing you just for being there even though it was their fault for not looking then that's what winds me up.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 am

Yes it was good that he gave a wave of I assume apology. It got the adrenaline going and I yelled pretty aggressively. I do like to get home safe to my family.
+1 one on getting well wound up when they have a go. What, you endanger my life and it's my fault? :evil:

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:Heading through a roundabout on my commute this morning I noticed a black hilux sailing into it from my left. Put the hammer down to get through before him.
I've never used an air zound. I find "HEEEEY....,.,..F'CK" is quite effective. Got a wave of apology from the d'head as I pointed at my eyes. Look next time :x

Blame tapatalk
I put one of those air horns on my bike in the hope it would be a good dog chase deterrent when I was in Thailand last year. It worked a treat. 95% of the mangy hounds stopped in their tracks or spun around expecting to be pancaked by a truck.

I meant to take it off when I got back to Oz but I've left it on the bike. It's worth the nerd factor for the times it's saved me.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:23 pm

dungee wrote:Another one from the same night as the close pass, I saw this coming so was prepared to slow down and stay out of the way. 50 meters up the road the bus pushed his way back into the centre lane. Must have been late for dinner?

In NSW, you are actually required to give way to the vehicle exiting the roundabout - if you'd collided you would have been at fault. Talk about a legislative safety fail :x

Lukeyboy

Postby Lukeyboy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:49 pm

trailgumby wrote:
dungee wrote:Another one from the same night as the close pass, I saw this coming so was prepared to slow down and stay out of the way. 50 meters up the road the bus pushed his way back into the centre lane. Must have been late for dinner?

In NSW, you are actually required to give way to the vehicle exiting the roundabout - if you'd collided you would have been at fault. Talk about a legislative safety fail :x
But in real life that is just a right hand corner in the city.

HiChris

Postby HiChris » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:16 pm

There's no roundabout there, it's three lanes turning a 90 degree right turn in a 40k speed zone. There is a bus stop at the top of the hill. That bus didn't stop there. He lurched into the left lane, indicated after he started moving after. Pushed back into the centre lane a little further up the hill where I passed him again. If I didn't back out he would have kept coming. He knew I was there as I almost got past him before the corner, I thought better of it though.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:38 pm

Andy wrote: I put one of those air horns on my bike in the hope it would be a good dog chase deterrent when I was in Thailand last year. It worked a treat. 95% of the mangy hounds stopped in their tracks or spun around expecting to be pancaked by a truck.

I meant to take it off when I got back to Oz but I've left it on the bike. It's worth the nerd factor for the times it's saved me.
Yeah not knocking them :) I'd like one, but I have enough stuff hanging off the front of my bike already.

Blame tapatalk

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:57 pm

I've thought about an Air Zound but one of these also appeals:

Info here: http://www.loudbicycle.com/

Th idea of a horn which sounds like a car horn appeals as it is something drivers react to.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

Leaf T

Postby Leaf T » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:16 pm

DavidS wrote:I've thought about an Air Zound but one of these also appeals:

Th idea of a horn which sounds like a car horn appeals as it is something drivers react to.

DS
Now that'sa lotta horn.

TraceyG

Postby TraceyG » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:45 pm

Stupid woman in a red car on the Portsea-Sorrento Rd yesterday passed my husband and I, both of us riding at a fairly good pace in the bicycle lane, then suddenly cuts left and stops in the bike lane in front of me, forcing me to brake suddenly. I hope she may have learnt a few unladylike words but I suspect she was just too worried about trying to figure out where she was going.

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:22 pm

DavidS wrote:I've thought about an Air Zound but one of these also appeals:

DS
I've been wondering for years why no one has just attached a car horn to a suitable bracket and hooked up a battery. I'm still wondering, because that thing is bulkier than many i've seen in cars?
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:07 pm

I suspect that the car horns on the market would require too much power? This invention can go two months on the batteries.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:15 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I've been wondering for years why no one has just attached a car horn to a suitable bracket and hooked up a battery. I'm still wondering, because that thing is bulkier than many i've seen in cars?
This one includes a compact lightweight lithium battery. Those "smaller" car horns usually run off a bulky lead-acid battery. This one also has two horns (as you can see), I assume for the two different tones.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

geebee

Postby geebee » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:45 pm

I have run a car horn on one of my bikes, works great, scares the c..p out of drivers if you are along side them :)
The reaction was much better than any other horn I have seen or used, as they assume its a car.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:37 pm

ldrcycles wrote:I've been wondering for years why no one has just attached a car horn to a suitable bracket and hooked up a battery. I'm still wondering, because that thing is bulkier than many i've seen in cars?
*cough*

make sure your volume is on and up :D

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:42 pm

Had a MM turning right into Meta St Croydonfailed to give way to me & narrowly avoided running into me.

The irony was that is was a healthscope vehicle - yes the company that provides hospital, rehabilitation, pathology & medical centres apparently needs more work :roll:

Feedback to their head office has drawn a quick response, so will wait & see what the State manager has to say
Anything you can do, I can do slower

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:14 pm

and Jason... c'mon.... where do you buy them....? :twisted:

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:51 pm

cp123 wrote:and Jason... c'mon.... where do you buy them....? :twisted:
sorry, custom kit, not mine. my understanding is that you'd need a steel framed bike to mount it to - it was heavy

duncan16v

Postby duncan16v » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

A five chime whistle? Um. Yes. It's a very big chunk o' brass. And you'd need about 50 psi to make it go 'peep'.