Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Sat May 17, 2014 6:52 pm

Trivial thing really which happens often enough, but the attitude behind it was truly moronic. Just heading for the Goulburn Vally Rail Trail, riding along the GV Highway. We (five) were all cycling in the sealed-shoulder, single-file, when a stoopid 4WD Landcruiser-type shaves us close by and blasts the horn loudly at us. Whatever were we supposed to do???

After that I stayed out of the sealed-shoulder and rode on the road lane, where I am supposed to be anyway.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

by BNA » Sun May 18, 2014 2:31 pm

BNA

Postby Roubaix Noir » Sun May 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Riding along Main Rd Eltham this morning, heading towards Research. A car with green Ps and full of young guys passes me .... Front left passenger thrusts a knife at me through their open window and shouts, 'Chop!'

Pretty unsettling!
Roubaix Noir

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Roubaix Noir wrote:Riding along Main Rd Eltham this morning, heading towards Research. A car with green Ps and full of young guys passes me .... Front left passenger thrusts a knife at me through their open window and shouts, 'Chop!'

Pretty unsettling!

Even if you weren't able to get the rego, i would definitely take that to the police, threatening someone with a weapon is no laughing matter.

I didn't even get 100m up the road this morning before stupid struck, even though there was plenty of visibility an oncoming car started to turn right into a car park in front of me, i was on the brakes ready for it, but the fool finally acknowledged my existence when i was a couple of metres away, and came to a complete stop. Smack bang in the middle of the road, blocking both lanes :roll: . Went around the back of his car, with that kind of behaviour there was no way i was going to risk going in front of him.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby human909 » Sun May 18, 2014 3:35 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Even if you weren't able to get the rego, i would definitely take that to the police, threatening someone with a weapon is no laughing matter.

**Unless that weapon is a car. :(
human909

Postby Roubaix Noir » Sun May 18, 2014 4:14 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Even if you weren't able to get the rego, i would definitely take that to the police, threatening someone with a weapon is no laughing matter.

I did get the licence plate, but I was so fixated on that I forgot to take note of the vehicle (aside from the P plate). I guess that's description enough but unfortunately I've had really discouraging interactions with Eltham police over more serious driver abuse. Last time the guy at the desk just looked blankly at me and said "road rage isn't a crime."
Roubaix Noir

Postby Percrime » Sun May 18, 2014 4:43 pm

Bwahhhhaa. Did you ask to speak to a police officer?
Percrime

Postby rogan » Sun May 18, 2014 8:33 pm

Roubaix Noir wrote:

I did get the licence plate, but I was so fixated on that I forgot to take note of the vehicle (aside from the P plate). I guess that's description enough but unfortunately I've had really discouraging interactions with Eltham police over more serious driver abuse. Last time the guy at the desk just looked blankly at me and said "road rage isn't a crime."

Even the most jaded, lazy copper (and most are better than that), who is not ever going to take on moron motorists driving in negligent fashion, might get interested in a psycho making threatening noises with a knife. That's not moronic motoring, it's psychosis.
rogan

Postby ldrcycles » Sun May 18, 2014 9:15 pm

+1. And if you do still get a nonsensical response like the one you mentioned, escalate the hell out of it, email the state commissioner, go nuts. The squeaky wheel gets the grease.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby kenwstr » Sun May 18, 2014 9:45 pm

Found out a new rule today, apparently bikes are not allowed to have a light in the daytime, even a dark overcast day like today was (it's a 1W LED)
Where do these morons get this stuff from?

That was the 1st thing on my 48 k ride this afternoon. How about a car and trailer followed by 2 motorcycles overtaking on a narrow bridge (close to Peel near Bathurst) on a curve, crossing the double lines twice in the process. Fortunately it was 2 lanes and they did use the other lane but that's not the point. Nobody coming the other as it turns out, not that anyone could have known. The car and trailer pulled off just past the bridge and I passed him before he got out to open the gate. So that little maneuver really save him more time than my life is worth I guess.

Going through a narrow section of S's, (blind curves and hill) I hear this engine roaring up behind so I know he isn't going to slow down. 2 cars coming the other way so I have no choice but to move to the edge just before a blue wagon passed flat out from behind on the blind curve, missing my bars by maybe 2 inches. At that speed he wouldn't have had time to avoid if I'd still been claiming the lane. This is the 11 mile drive Bathurst, and would be near the spot some goose lost his licence and got his car confiscated last week for gross speeding.

It seems to me that while the majority of drivers here are being more careful recently, the moronic few are worse than ever.

Ken
kenwstr

Postby il padrone » Sun May 18, 2014 10:16 pm

kenwstr wrote:Found out a new rule today, apparently bikes are not allowed to have a light in the daytime, even a dark overcast day like today was (it's a 1W LED)

Can you quote me this rule? Because I have never seen any such thing in my state's road rules. There is actually no prohibition on any vehicle using lights during the day, apart from the use of driving lights and fog lights.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby nezumi » Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 pm

il padrone wrote:
kenwstr wrote:Found out a new rule today, apparently bikes are not allowed to have a light in the daytime, even a dark overcast day like today was (it's a 1W LED)

Can you quote me this rule? Because I have never seen any such thing in my state's road rules. There is actually no prohibition on any vehicle using lights during the day, apart from the use of driving lights and fog lights.

I think he means this in the context of an ill-informed driver shouting it at him out a window, rather than an actual, referenced rule.
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby biker jk » Mon May 19, 2014 11:19 am

Driver killed pedestrians and could be out of gaol after just three years and three months. :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-19/woman-jailed-for-six-years-over-fatal-lygon-street-car-crash/5461514
biker jk

Postby AKO » Mon May 19, 2014 2:58 pm

biker jk wrote:Driver killed pedestrians and could be out of gaol after just three years and three months. :shock:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-05-19/woman-jailed-for-six-years-over-fatal-lygon-street-car-crash/5461514

Well at least she got gaol time. In light of recent rulings it's a step in the right direction. Grossly inadequate but better than a good behaviour bond I guess.
Malvern Star Oppy C5
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB
AKO

Postby kenwstr » Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 pm

nezumi wrote:
il padrone wrote:

I think he means this in the context of an ill-informed driver shouting it at him out a window, rather than an actual, referenced rule.

Yep, sarcasm.

Ken
kenwstr

Postby cp123 » Tue May 20, 2014 1:53 pm

cp123

Postby TraceyG » Tue May 20, 2014 3:55 pm

Two close shaves on my morning ride today, one of them a bus that simply had to get past me before I cleared an intersection. GoPro goes back on tomorrow and bus company will get a video for the next stupid manouvre!
TraceyG

Postby cowled » Wed May 21, 2014 10:02 am

cp123 wrote:http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/backpacker-deported-tomorrow-for-grievous-injuries-following-storage-shed-crash/story-fnihsrf2-1226924008495

doesn't seem enough does it...? :roll:

Agreed. I would have thought a jail term was warranted. That said, at least a conviction of Dangerous Operation causing GBH was recorded. He'll never get back into Australia. If the victim had been on a bike, he would have received a TIN and gone on with his backpacking holiday. Meanwhile, a man has lost a leg. :x :x :( :cry: :cry:
cowled

Postby cowled » Wed May 21, 2014 10:05 am

TraceyG wrote:Two close shaves on my morning ride today, one of them a bus that simply had to get past me before I cleared an intersection. GoPro goes back on tomorrow and bus company will get a video for the next stupid manouvre!

So, so wrong. Why do people have to be so damned impatientl. As for the GoPro, don't leave home without it Tracey.
cowled

Postby Ross » Wed May 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Riding along this morning just after 6am on a dual carrigeway (Adelaide Ave in Canberra - 2 lanes each way plus a generous "cycle lane") in a bunch of 20 or so riders. Two abreast as we are entitled to do, the left row of the bunch is in the bike lane (dodging debris) and the right row is just over the white line in the car lane. It's not busy, we see maybe 6 cars normally between Woden and Hopetoun St off ramp (about 6km). Every morning I do this ride there is ALWAYS a MM that decides they want to drive half in our lane. The other lane to the right is empty. There is no other cars around, the next left turn isn't for several kms, but for some unknown always some motorist will want to share the lane we are in instead of moving to the empty right lane. It's not like they can't see us, 20 - 30 bikes all with bright red flashing lights is hard to miss. They generally aren't menacing us, just being ignorant and IMO stupid by driving in the lane the same time we are occupying it. If one or more of us had to swerve around a pothole (there is one and I hit it nearly every Wednesday because I forget exactly where it is and the riders in front don't point it out), we could go under the car.
Ross

Postby jasonc » Wed May 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Ross wrote:there is one and I hit it nearly every Wednesday because I forget exactly where it is and the riders in front don't point it out

sort this out, or find a new group to ride with.
jasonc

Postby jules21 » Wed May 21, 2014 4:09 pm

Ross wrote:They generally aren't menacing us, just being ignorant and IMO stupid by driving in the lane the same time we are occupying it.

i agree this is just ignorant, but i also see it a lot on shared paths where cyclists shave pedestrians when there is clear room to go around with a safe gap. it's dumb on all accounts.

i almost got hit by a driver this morning - just the standard roundabout SMIDSY or SMIDGAF incident. elderly european (hey i'm of european extraction, partly, it's not racism when you stereotype your own is it?) driver in his early 90s falcon (this should have rung alarm bells) just slowly enters the roundabout as i'm going through. i had slowed enough to make sure i could react but he was almost at a standstill when he entered so i can't imagine how he didn't see me - he was being careful. he hit the brakes as he was right on top of me - it may have been a SMIDGAF as he didn't react at all and just waited for me to continue. i had a few choice words but honestly i wonder whether a more appropriate response would be to kick his panels in.
jules21

Postby silentC » Wed May 21, 2014 4:13 pm

sort this out, or find a new group to ride with

Yes! I ran over a dead rabbit once because the guys in front didn't call it. Very poor form...
silentC

Postby silentC » Wed May 21, 2014 4:21 pm

I had an old guy in an ancient maroon Volvo turn right out of a side street in front of me today. I saw him coming, so was ready for it. Afterwards he went so slow that I had to overtake him.

I honestly think that a lot of these people simply don't register a push bike as traffic. I doubt it even crosses their mind to give way, no malice intended.
silentC

Postby InTheWoods » Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Ross wrote:Riding along this morning just after 6am on a dual carrigeway (Adelaide Ave in Canberra - 2 lanes each way plus a generous "cycle lane") in a bunch of 20 or so riders. Two abreast as we are entitled to do, the left row of the bunch is in the bike lane (dodging debris) and the right row is just over the white line in the car lane. It's not busy, we see maybe 6 cars normally between Woden and Hopetoun St off ramp (about 6km). Every morning I do this ride there is ALWAYS a MM that decides they want to drive half in our lane. The other lane to the right is empty. There is no other cars around, the next left turn isn't for several kms, but for some unknown always some motorist will want to share the lane we are in instead of moving to the empty right lane. It's not like they can't see us, 20 - 30 bikes all with bright red flashing lights is hard to miss. They generally aren't menacing us, just being ignorant and IMO stupid by driving in the lane the same time we are occupying it. If one or more of us had to swerve around a pothole (there is one and I hit it nearly every Wednesday because I forget exactly where it is and the riders in front don't point it out), we could go under the car.

I'm curious how the road rules apply to this situation. Not sure about canberra, but in qld cyclists are required to use bicycle lanes where practicable.

But does this mean a bunch has to go single file in order to fit in the bicycle lane (riding in single file is practicable, depending on the length of the lane etc). Or does riding two abreast mean it is not practicable for one rider to use the bicycle lane so it is ok to go on the road lane. Which takes precedence?
InTheWoods

Postby Xplora » Wed May 21, 2014 4:35 pm

ITW, he did say "cycle lane" as opposed to a Cycle Lane. I'm guessing breakdown lane?

Either way, you'd be forced to go single file because the usage of a proper bike lane isn't concerned with how easy it is to chat on the morning bunchie.
Xplora

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion