Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:39 am

bychosis wrote:....

Had a car pull out in front of me, MGIF I'm guessing, surely they saw my hi vis orange jacket. It pulled out of a driveway at the end of a side street, slowed to look, then took off in front of me and continued along the wrong side of the road over a blind crest so they didn't run me over. Not 100m later the road becomes wider and with significantly more site distance. Couldn't wait the 10s or so for me to pass. It's close too home, I have it on camera. Nt worth taking to the police, but might be worth a short note in the letterbox explaining I could take it to the police. Time for another look at the video.
Whether it was particularly bad or not, leave the note, it will make them a little more diligent in future one would hope.

And to all who were supportive with regard to my comments about the comparison, thank you. To those others, I hope you never suffer real long term hate that is totally inescapable. That is all from me on the subject.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 am

BNA

Postby herzog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:41 am

herzog

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 am

il padrone wrote:Anyway, lets not call it racial abuse, simply cyclist discrimination. It certainly does exist. Just read the comments section for any cycling news item.

You don't need to go any further than a particular thread that's active here now to see it! :)
silentC

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:57 am

jasonc

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 pm

jasonc wrote:

I feel like I'm missing something here... What is the moronic action?
Summernight

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:12 pm

ditto
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:19 pm

they tried to overtake only to realise there were a couple of cyclists stopped at the lights so they had to stop after busting their gut to get past me
jasonc

Postby herzog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:30 pm

We talking about the dude in spandex right on your tail?
herzog

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:50 pm

herzog wrote:We talking about the dude in spandex right on your tail?

no. the silver cruze. do you want a video with more precursor?
jasonc

Postby herzog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:52 pm

Might help. Hard to see what went wrong in that clip.
herzog

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:29 pm

ok, how's this:

jasonc

Postby queequeg » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:08 pm

^^^ Hmmm, I am not seeing any cars busting to overtake you, but is hard to see (on my phone) if they were actually indicating initially, or had intended to go straight and then realised they needed to go left
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:13 pm

I see it now, a typical car situation where they are only seeing you and not looking ahead to see others (waiting cyclists) and then realising suddenly that they will not make it, so they stop, let you complete your turn then follow. The same result that if they had just been patient in the first place. When will motorists learn there is more than one pedal to choose from?
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Summernight » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:05 pm

Oxford wrote:I see it now, a typical car situation where they are only seeing you and not looking ahead to see others (waiting cyclists) and then realising suddenly that they will not make it, so they stop, let you complete your turn then follow. The same result that if they had just been patient in the first place. When will motorists learn there is more than one pedal to choose from?

Yup. I was thinking (before I saw the extended clip) that we needed front cam to see the moronic action. Front cam seems to show these sorts of MGIF incidents in a bit more detail as you see the second they realise they aren't going to make it and start braking.

I did smile when the cyclist behind you looks like he leans down to check whether that thing on the back of your bike is a camera. I was also mesmerised by the flappy thing (presumably from your backpack).
Summernight

Postby zero » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:20 pm

Oxford wrote:I see it now, a typical car situation where they are only seeing you and not looking ahead to see others (waiting cyclists) and then realising suddenly that they will not make it, so they stop, let you complete your turn then follow. The same result that if they had just been patient in the first place. When will motorists learn there is more than one pedal to choose from?

Driver of the car could see just fine - they were attempting to race for a gap that was entirely bounded by vulnerable road users - truly moronic and worthy of the thread. If there is a close gap that has motorcycles, pedestrians or cyclists - people should absolutely not be racing for it in a car.
zero

Postby herzog » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Hey one of the recommended videos that popped up at the end of the Silver Cruze clip above:

WOW
herzog

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:45 pm

zero wrote:

Driver of the car could see just fine - they were attempting to race for a gap that was entirely bounded by vulnerable road users - truly moronic and worthy of the thread. If there is a close gap that has motorcycles, pedestrians or cyclists - people should absolutely not be racing for it in a car.
I was thinking it was like this video where the driver is so intent on passing the cyclist that they lose focus of the other road users around them.

- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jasonc » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:39 pm

Summernight wrote:I was also mesmerised by the flappy thing (presumably from your backpack).

It's actually the zip tab from the saddle bag
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:43 am

jasonc wrote:
Summernight wrote:I was also mesmerised by the flappy thing (presumably from your backpack).

It's actually the zip tab from the saddle bag

Since mounting my camera on the rear I also have some good footage of my saddle bag zip tabs. When It's a bit dark the zip tabs blink red too!

Got a fright yesterday morn as a car 'came from nowhere' passed me quickly then on the brakes to turn left. Scary part was I had only just moments earlier moved out in the road a bit far to pass a parked car. I had been stopped at a set of lights beside another car, we both moved off and then within a block were turning left. The other car had presumably come through an orange light behind me and with the wind noise I had no idea it was there. After reviewing my footage I'm leaning toward forward facing the camera again because while the footage from the rear looked fine the front would have shown how he cut me off a bit. Maybe it's time for camera two. (A little dumb cyclist in there too as I didn't know there was a car behind me before moving out into the lane)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Oxford » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah, rear is good, but a second facing forward is even better. I found having at least the two means you can show intent building and then the execution of stupidity. I personally have three, rear, helmet and chest or bar mount. The helmet allows you to show your intention or actions such as head checks etc.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby jasonc » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:17 am

the fly6 guys have said they are working on the Fly12 which will be a front facing camera with a light. As long as the light is a blinky, that's fine

looking something like a knog blinder would be the best option - one lens for the camera, one for the light

jasonc

Postby Oxford » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:31 am

Last week I bought the ExtremeX DVR from Coles for $60, I'll admit the camera was disappointing in that it only has a 30 minute recording time, but I wasn't too worried as I re-purposed it to a dash cam in the family car. It works really well for this as being plugged into the cigarette lighter it auto turns on/off with the car and it has the looping feature with 5 minute video segments. Set and forget, just what you want and at $60 plus an SD card its great value.

So that brings me to the accessories. The ExtremeX also came with helmet mount, handle bar mount and chest mount. The helmet mount is in the car with the double sided tape it came with (also has straps for the helmet mount). The bar mount I've been told is like cheese, so may not actually use it at all. The chest mount was what I was interested in for mounting my Contour Roam2. Unfortunately the screw mount was not ideally located for the Contour, so I then hit on the idea of repurposing the PVC Pipe from my FrankenFly6 install. By screwing this to the chest mount, I could then attach the Contour swivel mount to the pvc and then the Contour to that as follows:

I was surprised at how good the video footage was from a chest mount, very stable and very informative in the information it captures, sort of like a black box for the cyclist and what they are doing with their "controls".
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:01 am

Not mine. From Facebook, from the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 69&fref=nf
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby biker jk » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:15 am

il padrone wrote:Not mine. From Facebook, from the UK.

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn#! ... 69&fref=nf

Typical dumb comments from UK bogans or should that be chavs? It's all too common for cars with an obstruction on their side of the road to not give way to oncoming vehicles and pass the obstacle dangerously. I live in a suburb with very narrow streets and around 80% of drivers think it's fine to cross to my side of the road to pass obstacles.
Last edited by biker jk on Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
biker jk

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:41 am

I'm more disturbed by the 0.1% of drivers who think it's quite OK to reverse at speed, hundreds of metres along a main road, past side-streets, for a spurious disputed traffic call. Chav deserves to lose the licence for a long stretch.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion