Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cowled » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:28 pm

Oxford wrote:Now the really stupid thing is that both these drivers were caught up in traffic in the school zone further up the road, I passed them and even managed to cross the road while they were still backed up in traffic waiting, so really what was the hurry? Oh that's right I'm just a cyclist and shouldn't be slowing them down. :roll:

Thanks to cowled for the inspiration to calibrate the Fly6 daily, I now have notches marked in paint on the garage door entry showing distances in 0.5M increments as per the videos.

The whole MGIF attitude is infuriating. Rational thought seems to evaporate the moment some drivers see a bicycle. If they only engaged their brains for a little while they might realise how dangerous their behaviour is. And, if you are easily catching up to them, clearly their dangerous actions are totally pointless.

Glad I could help with the calibration.
cowled

by BNA » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 pm

BNA

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:19 pm

Oxford wrote:

Driver was a d'head :x

That is a 70 series Toyota troop carrier;

Here is a Nissan Patrol;

Sorry Nissan Patrol owning pedant here :oops:
warthog1

Postby Lukeyboy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:06 pm

cowled wrote:
Oxford wrote:Now the really stupid thing is that both these drivers were caught up in traffic in the school zone further up the road, I passed them and even managed to cross the road while they were still backed up in traffic waiting, so really what was the hurry? Oh that's right I'm just a cyclist and shouldn't be slowing them down. :roll:

Thanks to cowled for the inspiration to calibrate the Fly6 daily, I now have notches marked in paint on the garage door entry showing distances in 0.5M increments as per the videos.

The whole MGIF attitude is infuriating. Rational thought seems to evaporate the moment some drivers see a bicycle. If they only engaged their brains for a little while they might realise how dangerous their behaviour is. And, if you are easily catching up to them, clearly their dangerous actions are totally pointless.

Glad I could help with the calibration.

The ones coming out of side streets are even worse.... or are the worst. Especially if you happen to be carrying speed.

Also saw this happen behind me today. The ute following suddenly swerves towards the ute heading up the hill before quickly swerving again. Sorry for the quality. Still haven't perfected the fly6 footage so I used my mobile to record :P
Lukeyboy

Postby Oxford » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:47 am

warthog1 wrote:...

Sorry about that. Video title updated. :oops:
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:23 am

Oxford wrote:

That's a useful idea. Due to perspective, the lines should go from the frame edge to the vanishing point. Assuming the camera axis is aligned with the lane and is parallell to the road surface, the vanishing point is the centre of the frame. You could perhaps lay some rope on the road and take a photo for future reference. As long as the camera mount doesn't change the reference is good.

Ken
kenwstr

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:38 am

Had a good demonstration this morning of why giving a left turn signal is not always a great idea. I was turning left, he was turning right into the same street. He pulled up to give way to me thinking I was going through but when I stuck out my left arm, he decided to go and cut me off. Won't fall for that trick again.

Then 5 minutes later I was cut off by an old woman turning right out of a side street. I half expected it so had backed off. She saw me because I made eye contact as I approached, but when she pulled out in front of me, she looked the other way the whole time. If I don't look, he's not there...

That's two in one day. A bit of a record for around here...
silentC

Postby biker jk » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:45 pm

I'm heading west along Pittwater Rd towards Church Pt and an old plonker turns right in front of me from a side street on my left. I saw him just look to his left and he turned without checking right and I started to brake with him stopping in the middle of the road in front of me. I pulled up with plenty of room to spare. Don't get me started on whether the elderly should be allowed to drive without regular health checks and driving tests. :evil:
biker jk

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:55 pm

Does anyone else shoot people with their finger, or is that just me? I got three rounds off at her this morning...
silentC

Postby feral grasshopper » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:18 pm

silentC wrote:Does anyone else shoot people with their finger, or is that just me? I got three rounds off at her this morning...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
feral grasshopper

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:58 pm

silentC wrote:Does anyone else shoot people with their finger, or is that just me? I got three rounds off at her this morning...

I hope your finger is registered and you are appropriately licenced. It's bad enough that you are probably riding an unregistered vehicle as well. Don't want the law catching up with you.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Scott_C » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:03 pm

silentC wrote:Does anyone else shoot people with their finger, or is that just me?

I prefer to use a lever-action shotgun like when Arnie is on the motorcycle in Terminator 2.

It's much more satisfying. :wink:
Scott_C

Postby KenGS » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:04 pm

--Ken
Helmets! Bells! Rego!
KenGS

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:22 pm

I bet he doesn't say 'phchew' like I do though :D
silentC

Postby outnabike » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:51 pm

silentC wrote:Had a good demonstration this morning of why giving a left turn signal is not always a great idea. I was turning left, he was turning right into the same street. He pulled up to give way to me thinking I was going through but when I stuck out my left arm, he decided to go and cut me off. Won't fall for that trick again.

Snip

I did try to tell you that..... :D
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=76952

Re: Left turn hand signal
by outnabike » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:26 pm
I am with you Colin, but my experience has been that of drivers indicating a right turn into the street that I will turn left into.If I get left and indicate, the car behind wants to do a shave pass or if nothing is behind, the car turning right tries to whizz in front.

So I sit and claim the lane whatever, don't indicate so that a waiting right turner is not going to know that I intend to turn left until the last minute. Then only when right on the corner I may give a signal, but it is usually so the car behind will know.
outnabike

Postby ldrcycles » Thu Jul 17, 2014 4:55 pm

When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby silentC » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:05 pm

outnabike wrote:I did try to tell you that..... :D

Yep I shoulda listened... Won't happen again!
silentC

Postby casual_cyclist » Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:22 pm

silentC wrote:I bet he doesn't say 'phchew' like I do though :D

I do. Mind bullets. :lol:
<removed by request>
casual_cyclist

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:01 pm

Oxford wrote:
warthog1 wrote:...

Sorry about that. Video title updated. :oops:

Thanks, my OCD can rest easier. :)

Blame tapatalk
warthog1

Postby Boognoss » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:37 pm

More close passing in North Ryde. Because I was commuting with a mate who also has front and rear GoPros I thought this was worthy of special Spielbergy treatment:

2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Lukeyboy » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:36 am

This ending pleases me :P
Lukeyboy

Postby Aushiker » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:58 am

Sound is turned off due to the poor quality of the dash cam but I could clearly hear this fire engine approaching from behind (and I had the radio on) but yet the traffic going through the intersection just seemed completely oblivious. I have seen this behaviour with an ambulance in the past. Have we be come so selfish or blind to what is happening around us?

Andrew
Aushiker

Postby Oxford » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:59 am

Aushiker wrote:Sound is turned off due to the poor quality of the dash cam but I could clearly hear this fire engine approaching from behind (and I had the radio on) but yet the traffic going through the intersection just seemed completely oblivious. I have seen this behaviour with an ambulance in the past. Have we be come so selfish or blind to what is happening around us?

Andrew
Yes we have. Over the past 18 months I have had to catch a lot of buses and spent a lot of time at bus stops, particularly the Chermside shopping centre interchange. Right next to one of the busiest intersections on the north side of Brisbane, also very close to an Ambo and Firie station and a public emergency hospital, so it tends to have a few emergency vehicles passing through it. The number of times I have seen emergency vehicles not be able to safely traverse the intersection is mind boggling, some people wanting to be the last one to just get ahead or through before the firies or ambos.

Worse is when you spot them (emergency services) and pull aside and the dope behind you takes it as a sign that they can go past you. Talk about face palm moment.
I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong.
Oxford

Postby skull » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:09 am

Aushiker wrote:Have we be come so selfish or blind to what is happening around us?

Andrew

Just self centered. People don't care anymore. I have seen numerous ambulances stuck behind cars that are to ignorant of their surroundings to pull over.

the best I have seen when out riding was some clown brake check a unmarked police car that had it's lights and sirens going (possibly didn't like being tail gated because he didn't pull over). There was 4 police cars all up. The rest of the police cars kept going. The brake checked car pulled up at the next red light and ripped the bloke out of his car. Not sure what happened after that as I kept riding.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
skull

Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:18 am

Aushiker wrote:Sound is turned off due to the poor quality of the dash cam but I could clearly hear this fire engine approaching from behind (and I had the radio on) but yet the traffic going through the intersection just seemed completely oblivious. I have seen this behaviour with an ambulance in the past. Have we be come so selfish or blind to what is happening around us?

Andrew

To be fair people are desensitised to emergency lights and sirens due to over exposure.
In vic our emergency dispatching is handled by a private contractor who use a risk averse American dispatch and coding system. A large proportion of our dispatches are prioritised as a code1 lights and sirens response which is >50% of the time plainly inappropriate.
The system over prioritises and over allocates resources. However when someone dies waiting for an ambulance, as happens not infrequently, our senior management can fall back on their standard response of no resources available.
They need to have a good hard look at why no resources were available.
If that happens though the blame falls on a separate entity.

Blame tapatalk
warthog1

Postby yugyug » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:05 am

warthog1 wrote:To be fair people are desensitised to emergency lights and sirens due to over exposure.
In vic our emergency dispatching is handled by a private contractor who use a risk averse American dispatch and coding system. A large proportion of our dispatches are prioritised as a code1 lights and sirens response which is >50% of the time plainly inappropriate.
The system over prioritises and over allocates resources. However when someone dies waiting for an ambulance, as happens not infrequently, our senior management can fall back on their standard response of no resources available.
They need to have a good hard look at why no resources were available.
If that happens though the blame falls on a separate entity.
Blame tapatalk

Well its interesting to think about how the whole system works (or doesn't work) together. When I had my first collision with a car (got doored) I made my own way to a doctor (who then referred to me emergency) because I really wasn't that badly injured. As a result, I faced dismissive police disinterested in following it up - especially grating because they left the scene without providing details, though I got the plate.

Now I wouldn't hesitate to call am ambulance for even a minor injury, because maybe thats the only way I can be sure the police will turn up to the scene and take the incident seriously. Thats not right, but its an extension of the police attitude to cyclists not being right.
yugyug

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion