Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 am

Great Scott!!!!
Is that worth reporting? that was seriously close.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7077
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

by BNA » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 am

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:36 am

Stupid driver of a stupid car. High CofG along with increased weight, compromise handling and performance, yet car is equipped with low profile tyres that have non existent off road ability so that the increase in ride height is unable to be utilised for any practical purpose.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:44 am

warthog1 wrote:Stupid driver of a stupid car. High CofG along with increased weight, compromise handling and performance, yet car is equipped with low profile tyres that have non existent off road ability so that the increase in ride height is unable to be utilised for any practical purpose.


but but but they can see above traffic *facepalm*

charge rego based on 2 things:
vehicle weight
if it's a 4wd, or is over 1.6m tall or clearance of greater than 18cm, automatically add the parks and wildlife levy to the rego.
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 7077
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jules21 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:31 am

cccrrrrrrrrriiiiiipppppppeeeeeessssss that was close :shock:
Image
User avatar
jules21
 
Posts: 9247
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:14 pm
Location: deep in the pain cave

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chriscole » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:34 am

jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Stupid driver of a stupid car. High CofG along with increased weight, compromise handling and performance, yet car is equipped with low profile tyres that have non existent off road ability so that the increase in ride height is unable to be utilised for any practical purpose.


but but but they can see above traffic *facepalm*

charge rego based on 2 things:
vehicle weight
if it's a 4wd, or is over 1.6m tall or clearance of greater than 18cm, automatically add the parks and wildlife levy to the rego.



^^^^^^^^ +1

THIS! :-)
chriscole
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chriscole » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:07 pm

Last evening, heading west on Hindmarsh Drive in Woden (Canberra) around 1730hrs, which is more or less peak-minute for Canberra's public service grand prix. Dedicated but non-separated bike-lane all the way. Screamer of a downhill into a little valley through the town centre and then uphill again. The lights were favourable for me on my approach last night, so I was doing probably ~50kph into the flat bit at the bottom. The left-most lane (of 3) of traffic was at a standstill, however, still victim to the traffic waves caused by recent changes of the lights.

I'm always cautious when undertaking stopped / really-slow traffic, because inevitably... some muppet will do something like.... sitting (stationary) about 1/3 of the way into the bike lane, no indicator on, nowhere to turn off for around 10-15 metres, and no hope of squeezing through any gap even if he used the entire bike lane. Wondering what this bright spark might do next, I slowed to around 20-25 kph as I approached the rather narrowed bit of bike lane left between him and the gutter... waiting for a door, perhaps... but no. As I approach, he edges the car a tiny bit at a time further into the bike lane (lurching, stop-start, foot-off-brake-for-half-a-second kind of stuff).

Fascinated, I grab a whole lot more brake... and eventually come to a smooth halt level with his back wheel as he then makes a definitive move further into the bike lane (at a point where he _still_ can't actually get through or turn off). To his credit, the indicator comes on at this point. There is a green light ahead, and I make a generic, inquisitive "What the...?" gesture with my hands, to indicate my bafflement as to why he has suddenly decided to pull into and obstruct a lane of traffic...

The light, now green, finally allows the column of cars to start moving off, and true to recent form, Mr Ute-In-The-Bike-Lane, despite having definitely seen me, pulls away slowly and continues his leftwards drift, cutting off the entire bike lane, then turns left 10 metres ahead into a parking lot (it was clearly vital that he got there not a nanosecond later or the fate of all humanity would have been left to chance, I'm sure).

Somewhat sorry to say the more primitive parts of my brain came to the fore at this point, and I have his canopied ute's hindquarter panel a very firm thwack with my hand, followed by more "Are you kidding?" gesticulation, and a sad shake of the head as I finally rode off, now unimpeded, up the hill.

It just fascinates me that, particularly in Canberra, and particularly at peak hour... in a time and place where there are going to be _heaps_ of people commuting home by bike... when you're stopped in traffic, with ample time and opportunity to look around before you do something potentially dumb, that people are still eminently capable of doing something dumb, anyway. And continue to do it... even once they _know_ you're there? :-/
chriscole
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby lobstermash » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:10 pm

All the special motorists playing peak hour bumper cars on Adelaide Ave this morning... I saw 3 fender benders on my way through (on my bike), while one of my colleagues spotted a few more and was involved in one himself (in his car).

Smugness factor on the bike this morning was off the scale...
Image
lobstermash
 
Posts: 1308
Joined: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:51 pm
Location: Canberra

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:43 pm

chriscole wrote:Somewhat sorry to say the more primitive parts of my brain came to the fore at this point, and I have his canopied ute's hindquarter panel a very firm thwack with my hand, followed by more "Are you kidding?" gesticulation, and a sad shake of the head as I finally rode off, now unimpeded, up the hill.



I understand your frustration but you have bought yourself down (below?) his level. You could of waited the few seconds as well. Did you have to get home or to wherever you were going those few nanoseconds quicker? I expect not. You are lucky the guy didn't step out of the vehicle and give you a firm thwack with his hand.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:45 pm

http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-cent ... iving.aspx

Disqualified driver caught drink driving
Release Date: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 10:24 AM

ACT Policing has charged a 41-year-old Giralang woman with driving offences following a minor collision in Kambah yesterday (July 22).

About 6.10pm, a black BMW 318i sedan collided with a white Hyundai i40 station wagon, which had been stationary at a red light at the intersection of Drakeford Drive and Summerland, Kambah. No persons involved in the incident required medical treatment.

ACT Policing Traffic Operations members attended the collision and required a breath test from the driver of the black sedan, a 41-year-old Giralang woman. The driver refused and was taken into custody and conveyed to Tuggeranong Police Station. The woman then underwent a breath analysis, which returned a result of 0.172.

The woman was identified as being a disqualified driver, driving and unregistered vehicle and a repeat drink driving offender.
The 41-year-old Giralang woman will face the ACT Magistrates Court in relation to driving offences next month.

Police urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via www.act.crimestoppers.com.au . Information can be provided anonymously.

.
Image
User avatar
Ross
 
Posts: 4147
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chriscole » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Ross wrote:
chriscole wrote:Somewhat sorry to say the more primitive parts of my brain came to the fore at this point, and I have his canopied ute's hindquarter panel a very firm thwack with my hand, followed by more "Are you kidding?" gesticulation, and a sad shake of the head as I finally rode off, now unimpeded, up the hill.



I understand your frustration but you have bought yourself down (below?) his level. You could of waited the few seconds as well. Did you have to get home or to wherever you were going those few nanoseconds quicker? I expect not. You are lucky the guy didn't step out of the vehicle and give you a firm thwack with his hand.



Hi Ross,

Sorry, but I think you might have missed the point. I wasn't at all fussed about having to slow down or wait. What bothers me is that in slightly different circumstances his poor driving choices could easily have caused a crash / injury to me, or anyone else in the same situation.

I didn't damage his car. Just got his attention (which seemed to be sorely lacking up to that point).

Cheers,
Chris
chriscole
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby chriscole » Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:55 pm

Ross wrote:http://www.police.act.gov.au/media-centre/media-releases/act/2014/july/Disqualified%20driver%20caught%20drink%20driving.aspx

Disqualified driver caught drink driving
Release Date: Wednesday, July 23 2014, 10:24 AM

ACT Policing has charged a 41-year-old Giralang woman with driving offences following a minor collision in Kambah yesterday (July 22).

About 6.10pm, a black BMW 318i sedan collided with a white Hyundai i40 station wagon, which had been stationary at a red light at the intersection of Drakeford Drive and Summerland, Kambah. No persons involved in the incident required medical treatment.

ACT Policing Traffic Operations members attended the collision and required a breath test from the driver of the black sedan, a 41-year-old Giralang woman. The driver refused and was taken into custody and conveyed to Tuggeranong Police Station. The woman then underwent a breath analysis, which returned a result of 0.172.

The woman was identified as being a disqualified driver, driving and unregistered vehicle and a repeat drink driving offender.
The 41-year-old Giralang woman will face the ACT Magistrates Court in relation to driving offences next month.

Police urge anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000, or via http://www.act.crimestoppers.com.au . Information can be provided anonymously.

.




Taking these people's licenses away achieves nothing.

Take their vehicle, auction it, use the money for something useful/beneficial for the community, someone else more deserving gets a cheap car, everybody wins.
chriscole
 
Posts: 147
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby outnabike » Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:48 pm

[quote="chriscole"
The light, now green, finally allows the column of cars to start moving off, and true to recent form, Mr Ute-In-The-Bike-Lane, despite having definitely seen me, pulls away slowly and continues his leftwards drift, cutting off the entire bike lane, then turns left 10 metres ahead into a parking lot (it was clearly vital that he got there not a nanosecond later or the fate of all humanity would have been left to chance, I'm sure)./[/quote]
Snipped

Hi chris,
I understand, but in Vic any way, a car is allowed to enter the bike lane for I think 50 metres to turn left . I know that it is not appreciated when they do so, and that this motorist didn't apparently do it well.
I will say though that if some one belts my car to intimidate me they had better be ready for what's going to happen. I may be wrong but that upsets me.
Just saying.... :) I really would feel assaulted.
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1268
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:10 pm

Been a while since I posted here (maybe 100 pages ago?)

A Particularly bad day for cyclists on sydney roads today. Drivers were feeling very inadequate!
In 4 separate incidents I was spat at, threatened with my life, chased by a driver (stopped the car and ran after me) and swerved at. They mustn't have liked it when I smiled and shrugged it all off.

There was a common theme to all of these incidents:
1. They were local roads
2. They are often used as "rat runs"
3. They were lined with parked cars, thus I positioned myself outside the door zone
4. They all had bicycle symbols painted in the middle of the lanes
5. They all had double white lines with opposing traffic
6. They all overtook me over double white lines in front of oncoming traffic
7. They all stopped at stop signs or traffic lights within 100m of overtaking me!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby London Boy » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:02 pm

outnabike wrote:I understand, but in Vic any way, a car is allowed to enter the bike lane for I think 50 metres to turn left . I know that it is not appreciated when they do so, and that this motorist didn't apparently do it well.
I will say though that if some one belts my car to intimidate me they had better be ready for what's going to happen. I may be wrong but that upsets me.
Just saying.... :) I really would feel assaulted.

I've not read the legislation, but surely it would say you can use the bike lane *if it is necessary* to turn left, etc..? But in any case, he needs to give way to someone already in the lane.
User avatar
London Boy
 
Posts: 637
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:43 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Strawburger » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:08 pm

Oxford wrote:And it wasn't a school zone either????


Actually no!
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)
User avatar
Strawburger
 
Posts: 1327
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:19 pm
Location: Dulwich Hill, Sydney

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby BianchiCam » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:12 pm

Great Scott wrote:Using the new Fly6 for the first time a few weeks back.
Was coming down Nepean Hwy towards Main Rd in Mornington doing 35kph on the GPS.
I spotted this driver ZDR596 approaching from the left in Wilson Rd about to turn into Nepean Hwy.
He partially slowed down to take the corner but never stopped.

No other cars on the road and I was in the middle of his vision (bike blindness!).
If I'd been 1m slower I would have ended up across his bonnet.
Gave me the SIDSY wave when I turned around to see what happened.





Mate, that's happened to me heaps along that road.

Always, always pull out towards the middle of the lane when approaching a side road. Especially when there are no cars behind you. Drivers only looking for large objects, not bikes.

Almost got cleared up the same way approaching the Tanti Ave at the pub with no traffic behind me. Silly girl just pulls straight out. Missed me by a bees dick, I kid you not. All she could do was laugh and give me a 'sorry' wave.

Ride safe.
User avatar
BianchiCam
 
Posts: 355
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 am
Location: Mt Martha, Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:35 pm

chriscole wrote:
jasonc wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Stupid driver of a stupid car. High CofG along with increased weight, compromise handling and performance, yet car is equipped with low profile tyres that have non existent off road ability so that the increase in ride height is unable to be utilised for any practical purpose.


but but but they can see above traffic *facepalm*

charge rego based on 2 things:
vehicle weight
if it's a 4wd, or is over 1.6m tall or clearance of greater than 18cm, automatically add the parks and wildlife levy to the rego.



^^^^^^^^ +1

THIS! :-)

AND remove tax exemption from them, reinstating the evidence based primary producer rebate.
AND compulsory stricter licence requirenments.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26871
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:53 pm

London Boy wrote:
outnabike wrote:I understand, but in Vic any way, a car is allowed to enter the bike lane for I think 50 metres to turn left . I know that it is not appreciated when they do so, and that this motorist didn't apparently do it well.
I will say though that if some one belts my car to intimidate me they had better be ready for what's going to happen. I may be wrong but that upsets me.
Just saying.... :) I really would feel assaulted.

I've not read the legislation, but surely it would say you can use the bike lane *if it is necessary* to turn left, etc..? But in any case, he needs to give way to someone already in the lane.

The road rule wording doesn't say "if necessary" (of course it will be necessary) but specifies "for up to 50m when entering or leaving the road".
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 20164
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby DavidS » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Great Scott wrote:Using the new Fly6 for the first time a few weeks back.
Was coming down Nepean Hwy towards Main Rd in Mornington doing 35kph on the GPS.
I spotted this driver ZDR596 approaching from the left in Wilson Rd about to turn into Nepean Hwy.
He partially slowed down to take the corner but never stopped.

No other cars on the road and I was in the middle of his vision (bike blindness!).
If I'd been 1m slower I would have ended up across his bonnet.
Gave me the SIDSY wave when I turned around to see what happened.



What is it about cars like that which make me think "w8nker"?

DS
Image

Riding: Cannondale Quick Speed 2
User avatar
DavidS
 
Posts: 1516
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:24 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby il padrone » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:14 am

The Porsche badge ??
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
User avatar
il padrone
 
Posts: 20164
Joined: Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:57 pm
Location: Heading for home.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:13 am

BianchiCam wrote:
Great Scott wrote:Using the new Fly6 for the first time a few weeks back.
Was coming down Nepean Hwy towards Main Rd in Mornington doing 35kph on the GPS.
I spotted this driver ZDR596 approaching from the left in Wilson Rd about to turn into Nepean Hwy.
He partially slowed down to take the corner but never stopped.

No other cars on the road and I was in the middle of his vision (bike blindness!).
If I'd been 1m slower I would have ended up across his bonnet.
Gave me the SIDSY wave when I turned around to see what happened.





Mate, that's happened to me heaps along that road.

Always, always pull out towards the middle of the lane when approaching a side road. Especially when there are no cars behind you. Drivers only looking for large objects, not bikes.
.


I thought the same thing. Move to the centre or right wheel track, create a buffer zone between you and any entering cars. A bonus may be that this movement alerts following drivers in the right lane behind you, in case something does go down.
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1334
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:13 am

il padrone wrote:The Porsche badge ??


I wouldn't knock back a 911, but that thing is a pointless POS
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby lard » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:57 pm

This one from the UK is doing the rounds, lucky to get out of that with just a few bruises....


Article...
http://sploid.gizmodo.com/cyclist-films ... 1609787773
lard
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:33 am

Moron Motorists #3

Postby warthog1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:37 pm

^^ warning very appropriate language.


That should be a mandatory loss of licence. The driver clearly lacks the requisite competence to operate a motor vehicle safely on public roads.
User avatar
warthog1
 
Posts: 3992
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:49 pm

Wow, that is one of the most spectacular POV dismounts I have ever seen, with the bike flying through the air like that.
Scarfy96
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: human909



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers