Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:53 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:
Oxford wrote:Mr phone user is also a red light runner. Look at the video at 1:14, he's gone across the stop line which is technically going through a red light. In fact he is even onto the ped crossing section just to compound it. I hope you are reporting him, he's going to be a very sorry person after all the TINs he could be issued with.

Oxford, I'm inclined to take it to the Police. I'm worried about a couple of things though. Perhaps if anyone has any experience in these matters I would greatly appreciate it. Firstly, the date stamp on the rear view is wrong. It's a Fly6 and unfortunately I've not been able to get the correct date setting. I'm thinking that if this is contested in court then there is enough doubt to let him off the hook (or have I watched too many cop shows). Secondly, what would I actually need to bring in to the Police station? My computer and just open up Youtube? an unedited video version on disk? etc.

Okay, have a look at these, they are the current complaints I have with the QPS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It will give you an idea of what the complaint should look like.

Go to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=38102

Follow the paint by numbers process as per the templates.

Supply to the police on a disk whatever edited footage you have as per the YouTube clip plus also the unedited footage you have with about 1 minute of footage either side of the actual events. This is necessary if it goes to court.

Make sure you stipulate you are willing to go to court, state in the letter the date/time stamp is incorrect but specify the actual date and time to the minute in your preliminary statement. Also if you have GPS data, use this to establish your date and time and locations precisely and state this in the letter and statement.

Once you get good at it, it takes very little time to do one of these statements.

Don't stop and wait at the police station, just leave it there, if you engage with them, they have a chance to fob you off. I quite literally walk in, drop the envelope with the person at the front desk and leave. That way they have to action it.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

by BNA » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:24 pm

BNA

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:24 pm

I'm defiantly Aaaaargh :roll: sure that going 2court will have to change his nick to going2walk.

Oxford wrote:...I quite literally walk in, drop the envelope with the person at the front desk and leave. That way they have to action it.

Umm, sorry. So it isn't addressed to any particular person? What's to stop the duty desk pilot putting it straight into the circular inbox under the desk?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:33 pm

Mulger bill wrote:I'm defiantly Aaaaargh :roll: sure that going 2court will have to change his nick to going2walk.

Oxford wrote:...I quite literally walk in, drop the envelope with the person at the front desk and leave. That way they have to action it.

Umm, sorry. So it isn't addressed to any particular person? What's to stop the duty desk pilot putting it straight into the circular inbox under the desk?
Window faced envelope or handwritten addressed to the Office In Charge. If I hear nothing after a week I forward to the Police Commissioner or area Commissioner (the letter says they are being CC'd). Then the station has to explain why they did nothing to their top dog, that hurts. Never had a binned report yet.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:36 pm

Occasionally I enter still wearing my helmet, it has the inbuilt DVR, so the recipient is on video receiving the letter as well. They don't need to know that. its just good backup.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Mulger bill » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:46 pm

Brilliant, thanks Ox :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:59 pm

Here we go again.

The roundabout is in a 100 zone so I am not game enough to take the full lane. Just keep my wits about me.

BianchiCam

Postby kb » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:49 pm

Driver in stalled traffic sitting playing with her phone. Light turns red and bike lights turn green so I start to cross. She wakes up realises there's now a car length of space in front of her and almost runs me over going through the red light.
kb

Postby mikeyg63 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:34 pm

Oxford wrote:Had a real turkey today who had a case of MGIF and then left hooked me into the bargain. Opinions on whether I should report them to the authorities:

Also had this mental midget who pulls up behind me after I have been sitting at the red light for nearly a minute. And then gets upset because they are stuck behind a bicycle. I worry about this driver, who ties their shoe laces each morning, it must be a struggle:

However in saying all that I was pleasantly surprised with an unusually big day's riding for me, they were the only two issues I had. I am beginning to think the S144A rule is having a positive effect on the roads in QLD.

That was funny....take it to the authorities. They will gobble it up.
mikeyg63

Postby trailgumby » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:04 pm

Reminds be of the brush turkey currently building a nest on the nature strip by the road heading down to Taronga Zoo Wharf. NO road sense whatsoever. I have to dodge him *every lap* :roll: :lol:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby outnabike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:09 am

BianchiCam wrote:Here we go again.

The roundabout is in a 100 zone so I am not game enough to take the full lane. Just keep my wits about me.

Hi BianchiCam,
That's just too close mate. I have made some comments on your cam here, in this thread as it has more to do with camera calibration.
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=77395&p=1161990#p1161990
outnabike

Postby Oxford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:02 am

mikeyg63 wrote:
Oxford wrote:Had a real turkey today who had a case of MGIF and then left hooked me into the bargain. Opinions on whether I should report them to the authorities:

That was funny....take it to the authorities. They will gobble it up.
I don't know, I think they will accuse me of being a bush lawyer and taking things too seriously.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby mikeyg63 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:22 am

Oxford wrote:
mikeyg63 wrote:
Oxford wrote:Mr phone user is also a red light runner. Look at the video at 1:14, he's gone across the stop line which is technically going through a red light. In fact he is even onto the ped crossing section just to compound it. I hope you are reporting him, he's going to be a very sorry person after all the TINs he could be issued with.

Oxford, I'm inclined to take it to the Police. I'm worried about a couple of things though. Perhaps if anyone has any experience in these matters I would greatly appreciate it. Firstly, the date stamp on the rear view is wrong. It's a Fly6 and unfortunately I've not been able to get the correct date setting. I'm thinking that if this is contested in court then there is enough doubt to let him off the hook (or have I watched too many cop shows). Secondly, what would I actually need to bring in to the Police station? My computer and just open up Youtube? an unedited video version on disk? etc.

Okay, have a look at these, they are the current complaints I have with the QPS:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It will give you an idea of what the complaint should look like.

Go to this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=53&t=38102

Follow the paint by numbers process as per the templates.

Supply to the police on a disk whatever edited footage you have as per the YouTube clip plus also the unedited footage you have with about 1 minute of footage either side of the actual events. This is necessary if it goes to court.

Make sure you stipulate you are willing to go to court, state in the letter the date/time stamp is incorrect but specify the actual date and time to the minute in your preliminary statement. Also if you have GPS data, use this to establish your date and time and locations precisely and state this in the letter and statement.

Once you get good at it, it takes very little time to do one of these statements.

Don't stop and wait at the police station, just leave it there, if you engage with them, they have a chance to fob you off. I quite literally walk in, drop the envelope with the person at the front desk and leave. That way they have to action it.

That's a wealth of info Oxford. Thanks for the ground work there. I will be referring to that and using your templates for my report. Thanks mate.

Btw, it looks like you and I have the same occupation.
mikeyg63

Postby Oxford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:39 am

mikeyg63 wrote:...

My professional qualifications are financial planner (nearly 30 years in the industry), I work as a paraplanner currently moving into a financial planning role (insurance and general financial planning) and I also do business systems, support and management. In other words I sit behind the keyboard a lot and write lots of stuff about lots of stuff about people and things. :mrgreen:

Glad it is off help, the more people we have doing this, the better for everyone, not just cyclists.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby nezumi » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:35 am

Oxford wrote:

My professional qualifications are financial planner (nearly 30 years in the industry), I work as a paraplanner currently moving into a financial planning role (insurance and general financial planning) and I also do business systems, support and management. In other words I sit behind the keyboard a lot and write lots of stuff about lots of stuff about people and things. :mrgreen:

Paraplanner here too - the phrase I like to use is "people ask me about money and I tell them where to shove it."
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4

I am a Merida Ambassador - ask me why I love them enough to volunteer for this! :)
nezumi

Postby Oxford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:38 am

nezumi wrote:
Oxford wrote:

Paraplanner here too - the phrase I like to use is "people ask me about money and I tell them where to shove it."

I used to say Financial Planners had to ask Paraplanners how to do it. :wink:
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby outnabike » Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:08 am

When I was trying to understand the financial world, a stock agent said the first thing to learn was the wifm rule. "Whats init for me" Thats good.
When I was trying to understand the Insurance world, An agent said just remember our adage, "Premiums accepted, claims rejected." Thats better.
And now I hear that some politicians have always had their concerns first and foremost to "help the less privileged in society". Thats best. :)
outnabike

Postby mikeyg63 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:58 pm

Oxford wrote:

Glad it is off help, the more people we have doing this, the better for everyone, not just cyclists.

Me?...Financial Planner for 14 years. Cycling and Planning. What's the link? Could both be high risk ventures?
mikeyg63

Postby Oxford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 3:55 pm

mikeyg63 wrote:
Oxford wrote:

Me?...Financial Planner for 14 years. Cycling and Planning. What's the link? Could both be high risk ventures?

LOL, yes we need to know where to get the best insurance cover because we are cyclists.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Oxford » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:32 pm

- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby duncan16v » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:16 pm

The utterly charmless Talia Jade Van-Rysewyk delays facing up to the consequences of her actions once again: http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/stor ... rt-doctor/
duncan16v

Postby BianchiCam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:46 pm

Old news. From July.
BianchiCam

Postby duncan16v » Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:21 pm

Yes - true. I've been watching this one with interest as it seems to be going nowhere fast. The incident happened over 8 months ago and now looks to be another three months before resolution.

It's hardly justice for the poor bugger that got hit, is it?
duncan16v

Postby Gordonhooker » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:56 am

Oxford wrote:This blog is quite interesting:

http://cyclewatcher.wordpress.com/2014/ ... est-sport/

Oxford after reading those stats 8.5% avg deaths by road user per year I am glad I decided 2 years ago to refrain from riding my bicycle on the main roads.
OI onya bike!!!
Gordonhooker

Postby Oxford » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:16 am

Gordonhooker wrote:

Oxford after reading those stats 8.5% avg deaths by road user per year I am glad I decided 2 years ago to refrain from riding my bicycle on the main roads.

Yeah, I avoid main roads wherever possible now. Not always possible, but S144A is helping quite a bit. Trouble is its the people who could care less that you have to worry about, S144A is cold comfort from a hospital bed or coffin.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Jangari » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:05 pm

Gordonhooker wrote:

I'm not sure that's what this figure represents (unless I'm misunderstanding your characterisation of it). 8.5% is the average yearly increase in cyclist deaths (presumably over the years included in that table). So if you calculate the change from year-to-year (i.e. from 31 deaths in 2009 to 38 deaths in 2010 is a 22% increase, and then to 34 deaths in 2011 is a 10% decrease), then average them out, you come out to an average increase of 8.5% per year, but this is obviously skewed by the 2013 horrendous figure of 50 deaths, which is more than a 50% increase on the 2012 toll.

The worrying thing is that the increased coverage of cycling-directed harassment seems to have the counter-productive effect of emboldening those drivers. More worrying is that for the first half of 2014 the cyclist toll is already 30, another 20% increase on 2013 if this trend continues, and that doesn't take into account that more cyclist fatalities occur in warmer months.

I just downloaded the road deaths stats spreadsheet and am tinkering with pivot tables, and the following is a little grim perhaps, and my apologies if it's a bit off, but I think it's useful to know whether you're at-risk as a cyclist, or perhaps being a cyclist just means you're at-risk.

Interestingly, there are more midweek cyclist deaths in the summer months, whereas weekend deaths are spread throughout the year, and weekend deaths are more likely than midweek deaths. Thankfully this is a small dataset (I'm using the 2013 figures because they're most numerous), so these generalisations aren't worth the paper they're written on, but one might conclude from this that the people who die while cycling are those who head out for a ride on the weekend, slightly more than midweek commuters. A full two-thirds of the 50 deaths last year were on a Saturday or Sunday.

QLD and NSW had significantly higher numbers of deaths than the other states. Victoria, despite having many more cyclists on the roads [citation needed], only had 6 deaths in 2013, but again, half of those were on the weekend. Same goes for WA with 'only' 6 deaths.

With respect to speed limits, the most highly represented speed limit in these stats (presumably the speed limit of the road on which the death occurred) is 60kph, then 80 and 50. There are no cyclist deaths in 40 zones (but there are very few 40 zones anyway). The speed limit numbers look overall meaningless.

Males are much more highly represented in these stats, with 41 of the 50 deaths, but again, this would be due to a higher cycling participation rate among males.

7 of the deaths were under the age of 12, 17 deaths were between the ages of 18 and 40, 11 were aged 41-55 and the over 55s accounted for 15 deaths. 39 were multiple-vehicle incidents, and 11 were single-vehicle incidents. I suppose the latter are cyclist deaths that didn't have anything to do with other vehicles, whereas the former might include any incident involving a cyclist and some other vehicle.

Holy crap! Be safe out there, you 20-30-something, male, NSWelsh or QLDer weekend riders who hang out in 60 zones!
Jangari

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion