Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:47 am

To the foul mouthed people in the black Holden sedan last night who thought it appropriate to close shave me, then verbally abuse me as I went past because I said "Wow, so far" and then you crossed the tramways yellow raised hump to pass (breach of the road rules) as you couldn't wait in line behind all the other cars... Turns out your registration has been suspended. I will now be looking at putting the footage into police with that discovery... Have fun with the people in blue.
Summernight

by BNA » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am

BNA

Postby yugyug » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 am

Summernight wrote:To the foul mouthed people in the black Holden sedan last night who thought it appropriate to close shave me, then verbally abuse me as I went past because I said "Wow, so far" and then you crossed the tramways yellow raised hump to pass (breach of the road rules) as you couldn't wait in line behind all the other cars... Turns out your registration has been suspended. I will now be looking at putting the footage into police with that discovery... Have fun with the people in blue.

lol. :twisted:

4WD behind me on a two way 50kmph street, revving his engine, utterly desperate to overtake me, but what can the poor motorist do when there is on coming traffic and I'm keeping up with traffic in front? Particular irate (based on his engine revving) when I stopped because the car in front of me stopped to let some one reverse park. How frustrating for you. I took off back onto the shared path when I could, and he yelled out "Get a bike on that helmet!" Sorry, mate, no points for that.
yugyug

Postby trailgumby » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:43 am

Summernight wrote:To the foul mouthed people in the black Holden sedan last night who thought it appropriate to close shave me, then verbally abuse me as I went past because I said "Wow, so far" and then you crossed the tramways yellow raised hump to pass (breach of the road rules) as you couldn't wait in line behind all the other cars... Turns out your registration has been suspended. I will now be looking at putting the footage into police with that discovery... Have fun with the people in blue.

Definitely worth submitting. :twisted:
"People have a right to their own opinions, but not their own facts. Evidence must be located, not created, and opinions not backed by evidence cannot be given much weight." -- James W Loewen

http://www.facebook.com/Drive2WorkDay
trailgumby

Postby Lizzy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:47 am

yugyug wrote:

+1 - Neener neener, ya bunch of yobs.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; “Bluey”: 2006 Trek 7.0FX
Lizzy

Postby Oxford » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:55 am

Lizzy wrote:
yugyug wrote:

+1 - Neener neener, ya bunch of yobs.

ROTFLMAO, won't they be a little upset then!
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Summernight » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Oxford wrote:ROTFLMAO, won't they be a little upset then!

Well, they clearly don't care anyway as they're driving an unregistered vehicle... Vehicle registration suspension apparently only happens when they've already failed to pay fines...

http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fines/Co ... px?page=48

:roll:
Summernight

Postby Oxford » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:30 pm

Summernight wrote:
Oxford wrote:ROTFLMAO, won't they be a little upset then!

Well, they clearly don't care anyway as they're driving an unregistered vehicle... Vehicle registration suspension apparently only happens when they've already failed to pay fines...

http://online.fines.vic.gov.au/fines/Co ... px?page=48

:roll:

But if the Sheriff boots their car, its going nowhere fast.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby RedlandSteve » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Saw a motorcyclist use a bicycle lane to pass moving traffic - is it sensible filtering or impatient overtaking (edit: or illegal maneuvering douchebag :roll:) ?

Last edited by RedlandSteve on Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RedlandSteve

Postby Boognoss » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:54 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:Saw a motorcyclist use a bicycle lane to pass moving traffic - is it sensible filtering or impatient overtaking?

You forgot the illegally maneuvering douchebag option :). That would be an air horn blast in my case.
2011ish Avanti Quantum (DIY), 2010 Specialized Tricross, 2010 Salsa Casseroll

Boognoss
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Oxford » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:06 pm

That's impatience. I'm mixed about motos in bike lanes being a moto rider myself. I'd really like to be able to use them at lights, but then if a cyclist comes up behind, what to do, it is the cycling lane after all. What if there is a bike box and bike lights giving them the jump on the lights? I'm happy to overtake (filtering is not defined in TORUM) at the lights in the normal lanes if it is safe to do so as per TORUM requirements.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby MisuVir » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:43 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:Saw a motorcyclist use a bicycle lane to pass moving traffic - is it sensible filtering or impatient overtaking (edit: or illegal maneuvering douchebag :roll:) ?

I had a similar thing happen to me a while back, except instead of undertaking in the turning lane as this person did, the idiot scooter driver overtook me *within* the bicycle lane. Scared the poop out of me. This was before I had my camera so I didn't get any juicy footage of me swearing my head off in shock.

On one hand, it seems like a good idea to allow traffic to filter forward... but on the other hand, having motorcycles and scooters speeding along a lane specifically reserved for slower bicycles seems like a really stupid idea. Bicycle lanes were placed to give us some space, not to provide a convenient tunnel for motorists to abuse.
MisuVir

Postby bychosis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:11 pm

Whilst I agree in principle with moto filtering, instances like that make me think that they enough power to keep up with traffic, why shouldn't they wait in line like everyone in a cage.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Oxford » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:33 pm

bychosis wrote:Whilst I agree in principle with moto filtering, instances like that make me think that they enough power to keep up with traffic, why shouldn't they wait in line like everyone in a cage.
Well then you could apply the same logic and say bicycles cannot keep up and do hold up motorised traffic so they should not be able to filter to the front and should also wait in line. Two sides to the coin. So why do motos want to filter? Because when they are in traffic they are vulnerable like cyclists, even though the keep up. When they are in front they have fewer places to worry about issues of concern, particularly dopy lane changers that don't look. You think cyclists are the only ones that get left hooked, left/right crossed? When you're in traffic the times that drivers try to cross your path because they haven't looked beyond the car in front of you passing them.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:44 pm

I don't have a problem with the occasional moto in the bike lane. Good motorpace training :P

As oxford has said they are just as vulnerable like us. I hate to see it but I've come across a few accidents where drivers have not being paying attention and driven straight into a stationary motorbike. I've also seen countless close shaves where the rider 100% deserved to remove their side mirror considering they weren't using it in the first place :P

The ones I don't like are the tools that buzz past. Usually the young moped type riders that then struggle with the concept of how a clutch works at the traffic light.
Last edited by Lukeyboy on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lukeyboy

Postby softy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:45 pm

I'm sure every motorist thinks that pushies are just going a few kas faster than walking speed, how often do they pass you then turn left??

Had a woman turn right across oncoming traffic today, in front of me at a school! Braked hard, did the Oi! And stare; she was total oblivious to me. I really don't understand the total contempt for cyclists. They treat you as some annoying fly that needs to be swatted away, then when they hit you, their; oh; so; sorry!

Crazy, I just don't get how some people think.
softy

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:11 pm

RedlandSteve wrote:Saw a motorcyclist use a bicycle lane to pass moving traffic - is it sensible filtering or impatient overtaking (edit: or illegal maneuvering douchebag :roll:) ?

I don't have a problem with the idea of motos filtering via bike lanes. As always, the concept is often brilliant but then it falls down in the execution. :(
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby leximack » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Mulger bill wrote:

I don't have a problem with the idea of motos filtering via bike lanes. As always, the concept is often brilliant but then it falls down in the execution. :(

I have been riding motorcycles for 10+ years and have been filtering for just as long. If you stay behind the cars you WILL get cleaned up. I go to the front whether there is a queue of 20 cars or just 1. I go to the front, I can accelerate faster than 99% of cars so I am not going to hold anyone up and then repeat at the next set of lights. By filtering I mean up the middle on a 2 lane road (2 lanes going same way).
Bike lanes or breakdown lanes are a different story and only do it to pass a couple of cars if im going to turn left or enter a side street/servo etc, I wouldn't sit in a breakdown lane for km's on end.
leximack

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:47 pm

Lukeyboy wrote:I don't have a problem with the occasional moto in the bike lane. Good motorpace training :P

As oxford has said they are just as vulnerable like us. I hate to see it but I've come across a few accidents where drivers have not being paying attention and driven straight into a stationary motorbike. I've also seen countless close shaves where the rider 100% deserved to remove their side mirror considering they weren't using it in the first place :P

The ones I don't like are the tools that buzz past. Usually the young moped type riders that then struggle with the concept of how a clutch works at the traffic light.

Nor do I like the ones that buzz past, doing 100kph next thing I know harley goes flying past me in my lane on my right, start to drift to the right and another one flies up the same side. He was lucky I didn't clean him up!
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810
Baalzamon

Postby ldrcycles » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:13 pm

Well you were on the money about Translink luke, i FINALLY got a reply from them and 90% of it was the same as the one you posted, the only addition being that they have "forwarded it to Sunbus who will conduct a thorough investigation and address the matter with the driver". NOT good enough! So Translink and Sunbus are getting the best of my angry letter writing skills (and believe me they are extraordinary) but as i asked the other week, is there any point in me going to the police without footage? I simply haven't got the time to go to the station only to be told "sorry can't help".
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
ldrcycles

Postby Lukeyboy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:55 pm

ldrcycles wrote:Well you were on the money about Translink luke, i FINALLY got a reply from them and 90% of it was the same as the one you posted, the only addition being that they have "forwarded it to Sunbus who will conduct a thorough investigation and address the matter with the driver". NOT good enough! So Translink and Sunbus are getting the best of my angry letter writing skills (and believe me they are extraordinary) but as i asked the other week, is there any point in me going to the police without footage? I simply haven't got the time to go to the station only to be told "sorry can't help".

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=58039&start=6375
viewtopic.php?t=58039&p=1115010

:lol: :lol:
Lukeyboy

Postby rustychisel » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:57 pm

yes, insist the police act on your complaint, read Oxford's pro forma, make sure you state clearly you are willing to appear in court as witness, and ask police to ensure they get copies of the relevant bus onboard video. Trust me on this, it'll show what went on quite clearly.

Writing to the bus company is 100% waste of time. Get the police involved - don't get uppity - and watch the bus driver sweat 3 points and a $400 fine.
rustychisel

Postby Oxford » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:38 pm

You'd think that in a 3.5km commute where only 100 metres of it is "highly trafficked" and with only one car passing me with no other impediments to satisfying TORUM S144A that there would be no problem. Not so. This driver who had an entire other lane (other side of road) to use (and no other vehicles to consider except me) and really only had to slow down so very little for such a short period of time to effect a safe S144A pass could have done so.

- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby dungee » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:34 am

ldrcycles wrote:Well you were on the money about Translink luke, i FINALLY got a reply from them and 90% of it was the same as the one you posted, the only addition being that they have "forwarded it to Sunbus who will conduct a thorough investigation and address the matter with the driver". NOT good enough! So Translink and Sunbus are getting the best of my angry letter writing skills (and believe me they are extraordinary) but as i asked the other week, is there any point in me going to the police without footage? I simply haven't got the time to go to the station only to be told "sorry can't help".

I got the same deal with Translink, nothing happens! If it's bad enough and you have enough evidence take it to the police first, Translink second.
dungee

Postby Oxford » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:42 am

If it makes you feel any better ldrcycles, I got a very similar response from Translink last year and mine was a human rights violation. I could have taken it to the Human Rights Commission but decided against it at the time.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby Biffidus » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:56 am

And another one... this guy was frustrated at being stuck behind me for 30 seconds and gave me an angry wave of the finger while cutting me off at 0:35.
Biffidus

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion