Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:07 pm

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-new ... 09uv8.html

Unlicensed woman caught driving 50km/h over limit with child in car

A 45-year-old woman who has never held a driver's license was caught driving erratically, 50km/h over the speed limit with a young child in the car in Monash.

Police noticed the Banks woman driving a red van dangerously on Drakeford Drive around 1.15pm last Tuesday.

She was travelling closely behind other vehicles, swerving, changing lanes without indicating and travelling at 130km/h in the 80km/h zone.

Police intercepted the vehicle and discovered the woman was driving unlicensed - having never held driver's licence – and was also a repeat unlicensed driving offender.

There was also a young child in the vehicle.

The woman will face ACT Magistrates Court at a later date.

It came after a weekend of what ACT Police called "appalling driver behaviour" in the capital with police warning dangerous driving will not be tolerated.

"Road safety is everyone's responsibility – drivers who speed are gambling with their lives and the lives of others," traffic operations Sergeant Craig McPherson said.

Last weekend police caught 23 drink drivers – almost one every two hours. Seven of those were repeat offenders and two were arrested for drink driving twice on the same day.

Ten drivers had their right to drive suspended for 90 days immediately.

"By removing impaired drivers from our roads, community safety is improved and the potential for serious or fatal crashes is greatly reduced," Sergeant McPherson said.

"The message should now be clear to everyone: don't drink and drive, you will be caught, anywhere and at any time.

"We're continuing to target speeding throughout these last few days of August and you can do your part by watching for speed signs and slowing down."
Ross

by BNA » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 pm

BNA

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 pm

Whilst driving unlicenced isn't in itself a dangerous act, you could probably get away with it for years if you didn't drive like an idiot. Driving unlicenced goes to show the contempt they hold for the system and nothing short of deprivation of liberty will stop them from continuing to flout the driving rules.

edit: lets try to make a sensible sentence.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby jasonc » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:20 pm

bychosis wrote:Whilst driving unlicenced isn't in itself a dangerous act, you could probably get away with it for years if you didn't drive like an idiot. Driving unlicenced goes to show the contempt they hold for the system and nothing short of deprivation of liberty will stop them from continuing to flout the driving rules.

edit: lets try to make a sensible sentence.

driving unlicenced doesn't necessarily make them a moron motorist. e.g. you ride a bike safely with lights but no helmet. that doesn't make you a dumb cyclist. BUT riding at night in black clothes with no lights makes you a dumb cyclist. same applies here i reckon
jasonc

Postby bychosis » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:00 pm

Wasn't really clear that I meant deprivation of liberty for those unlicensed caught doing dangerous acts, like the example above 50km/h over the speed limit, not indicating etc.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
bychosis

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:51 pm

My wife reckons I am a magnet for seriously stupid crap. I am almost beginning to believe her. She, being a catholic wants to have an exorcism performed on me to rid me of whatever evilness is attached to me. Here's today's little drama. I am just riding the moto home from the city after lunching with a mate. Its 1:20pm, I'm heading past home to pick up some moto parts and accessories from a newly reno'd local shop. Then this unfolds in front of me. I had been following the moto ahead of me, just watching his lines, its a nice stretch of road that you don't need to ride fast along (its only 60kmh), its just nice to do it and practise cornering techniques very safely. We were both doing spot on 60kmh according to my GPS:

Already reported it to the Hoon Line which I found quite easy to navigate. I was also able to do a plate search to get the blue car's information and the moto rider as a witness to it. He stopped up the road, I think he was quite shaken up about it which I don't blame him.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby silentC » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:00 pm

My wife reckons I am a magnet for seriously stupid crap

She's not kidding!! That is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. Trying to work out if they were racing, or is it an un-marked cop chasing someone or what? Road rage? Who knows. If the timing had have been a bit different, it would have made the news tonight, that's for sure...
silentC

Postby Oxford » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:47 pm

silentC wrote:
My wife reckons I am a magnet for seriously stupid crap

She's not kidding!! That is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. Trying to work out if they were racing, or is it an un-marked cop chasing someone or what? Road rage? Who knows. If the timing had have been a bit different, it would have made the news tonight, that's for sure...

Having watched it a few times, I think the blue car was chasing the white car and intended to u-turn, but the blue car then went ahead doing a u-turn cutting off the white's u-turn, so white car then turned left up the wrong side of the road speeding away down the side street and the blue car then donutted to continue the chase.
Building more roads to prevent congestion is like a fat man loosening his belt to prevent obesity.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby queequeg » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:07 pm

Oxford wrote:My wife reckons I am a magnet for seriously stupid crap. I am almost beginning to believe her. She, being a catholic wants to have an exorcism performed on me to rid me of whatever evilness is attached to me. Here's today's little drama. I am just riding the moto home from the city after lunching with a mate. Its 1:20pm, I'm heading past home to pick up some moto parts and accessories from a newly reno'd local shop. Then this unfolds in front of me. I had been following the moto ahead of me, just watching his lines, its a nice stretch of road that you don't need to ride fast along (its only 60kmh), its just nice to do it and practise cornering techniques very safely. We were both doing spot on 60kmh according to my GPS:

Already reported it to the Hoon Line which I found quite easy to navigate. I was also able to do a plate search to get the blue car's information and the moto rider as a witness to it. He stopped up the road, I think he was quite shaken up about it which I don't blame him.

That actually looked like the blue car was either chasing or racing the white car. Absolutely insane!
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

Postby BianchiCam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Here is mine from today purely for *its and giggles

1st one took me by surprise as I had fully indicated before he came up my right. It's only due to a head check I realized he was overtaking me while I was about to turn. How funny is that?

BianchiCam

Postby il padrone » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:27 pm

Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby nafe » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:50 am

ABc and balanced is an oxymoron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nafe

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:15 am

Now that particular urban myth is not what is at issue. The particular views of Mr Cameron are not a question of "balance" in journalism. They are an offensive incitement to do harm to a particular group of people - something that should not be countenanced by any broadcaster, balanced or otherwise.
Riding bikes in traffic - what seems dangerous is usually safe; what seems safe is often more dangerous.
il padrone

Postby duncan16v » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:02 pm

+1 italics and all
duncan16v

Postby Aushiker » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:20 pm

il padrone wrote:Eoin Cameron, Perth pseudo-journalist. Moron indeed.

Discussed in this thread in the WA Sub-forum.

Andrew
"Pedal-pounding pounce" - D. Fluellen - West Australian 13/1/14
Aushiker

Postby nescius » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

I had a bit of an ugly incident this morning, my first in a long time :(

I have a mate who has been having a bit of a tough time lately so I've been getting him out riding to make him feel better, which has been working well so far. We were out riding this morning, on a reasonably quiet country road with only light traffic, riding side by side having a chat (we moved to single where it was narrow or if we heard a car coming so weren't being selfish or holding up traffic or anything like that) when we got a nasty punishment pass from a guy in a range rover. He passed with probably 50cm to spare at 80+kmh, I know it was a punishment pass and a deliberate action because he was obviously watching his mirrors as he passed and he saw me give him the well deserved one finger salute. He then jammed on the brakes and pulled over while flinging open his door to have a go at us. I started off trying to calmly explain that he passed too close and too fast, his response was "I was only doing 80 and I gave you two feet", he then launched into an aggressive rant about riding two abreast and claimed it was illegal, I corrected him of course but he wasn't really interested in listening.

At this point I was pretty annoyed so I switched to a more assertive rather than conciliatory tone and told him in no uncertain terms that he was in the wrong and that what he had done was a deliberate, dangerous, and selfish act that was completely unjustified. I could see his body language change quite dramatically and I knew he was just like all the other cowards out there so I gave him a good serve and sent him on his way. He had half looked like he would step out of his car to engage in some fisticuffs, and I would have been more than happy to oblige but I think he underestimated how big I actually am (I think I've said before, I'm a 6'3" former state champion martial artist) and I think he was surprised that I wasn't frightened of him. I don't really know what he thought he was going to achieve by pulling over, but if he thought I was going to apologise to him then he was very wrong.

Maybe he'll think twice before doing that again, hopefully he gets home and takes some time to reflect on his behaviour so he can understand why I was upset.

I have very few negative interactions with motorists, the only bad experiences I have are those that are deliberate like this one. It was nice that he pulled over and gave me a chance to tell him what I thought of him :twisted:

The rest of the ride was uneventful, all other traffic interactions were good and it finished off sitting in the sun at the coffee shop, which was nice.
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby Oxford » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 pm

Well done for standing up to him. I really do wonder what the issue is that they are in such a rush and cannot do the courteous thing, then have all the time to "discuss" the situation.

I had a situation last Friday, which I will not be posting the video up because I am really sure that it will end up in the courts. Basically a moron who after deciding that I was being selfish and that he thought it was safe to pass (0.33 metres, both physically measured and according to camera calibration) instead of waiting 10 seconds (literally) for a safer opportunity. Then after realising it was futile because even without effort I caught up to him at a T intersection decides to turn right and go the long way home around the block. I turned left and waited at his house for him. How did I know where he lived? Well the intellectual capacity of this driver knows no bounds, if you're going to do dumb crap, don't do it in a vehicle plastered with your business' livery that you leave parked outside. So 45 seconds later he arrives home, so much for being in a hurry. Heated discussion ensues where he will not even contemplate being shown the various sections of TORUM he breached and is totally unaware of S144A. I gave up after realising the futility. A letter of complaint has been drafted and will be sent to the police where I am assured of at least one Infringement, his vehicle is defective with a missing head light. A tool of the greatest magnitude.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby il padrone » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Of course the shame is that, for those of us that are NOT "6'3" former-state champion martial artists" we really have less of an option in using might to subdue that burly plumber with a pipe-spanner in his hand.

It's a very sad world where such aggression and implied violence is seen as the way to solve a conflict.
il padrone

Postby outnabike » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:52 pm

I thought it was more of a self-defence sort of situation and these things can go either way. I reckon it’s one of those nasty confrontations we can do without.
I too am a magnificent specimen fully 5” 8” tall and am fearful of myself when I look in the mirror… I sure don’t want to mix it up if I don’t have too.
The realisation comes when the situation arises though, and you better be prepared to back up the gestures and language. Trouble with these cowards that pass close is they may actually hit the next bloke on a bike in anger after you have bettered them.
I sort of prefer to let the camera do the finger waving these days and let the police have a talk with these aggressive types.
outnabike

Postby nescius » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:33 pm

People like the guy I encountered are thankfully few and far between, his deliberate actions endangered my life and the life of my friend for no reason other than to make him feel like a big man. I take some comfort in the knowledge that he probably has a pretty crappy life which is why he behaves like he does, I'm also aware after our brief conversation that there is very little I would be able to do to convince him that he was a jerk, people like him live in a fantasy world where they are always right.

I'm generally pretty calm and don't tend to let things get to me but this sort of deliberately dangerous behaviour isn't something I'm going to let go. I was certainly willing to explain why I was upset and if he had been willing to listen he might have understood, I did him the courtesy of letting him explain himself but all he did was basically admit that he did it deliberately to teach us a lesson. There's not much point continuing to engage with someone like that.
Giant Trance | Giant Reign 3 | Trek 8000 | Trek Madone 4.5 | Look 695 SR ipack | Fuji Track 1.1
nescius

Postby outnabike » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:14 pm

Ross wrote:Repeat offender Nathaniel Barker banned from driving for 78 years

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/repeat-offend ... z3BaBReAiv

An elderly Sydney man has been banned from driving for the next 78 years and is facing nine months home detention after driving while disqualified for the 21st time.

This bloke is making a mockery of the law. Here is a different attitude to hoons.
http://www.news.com.au/national/western ... 7035769034
outnabike

Postby Oxford » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:20 pm

outnabike wrote:

An elderly Sydney man has been banned from driving for the next 78 years and is facing nine months home detention after driving while disqualified for the 21st time.

This bloke is making a mockery of the law. Here is a different attitude to hoons.

Should be more of it.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby kPrdfHTb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Deputy who killed former Napster COO after drifting into the bike lane while distracted by his laptop will NOT face charges because he was answering a work-related email

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... email.html
kPrdfHTb

Postby human909 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:12 am

kPrdfHTb wrote:
Deputy who killed former Napster COO after drifting into the bike lane while distracted by his laptop will NOT face charges because he was answering a work-related email

I'm confused why being allowed to use electronic devices would relieve a police officer of their obligations to safe driving.
human909

Postby Oxford » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:24 am

human909 wrote:
kPrdfHTb wrote:

I'm confused why being allowed to use electronic devices would relieve a police officer of their obligations to safe driving.

Apparently the use was work related, so the cyclist was killed whilst the police officer was performing his duties. As many would know in many jurisdictions, police are exempt from following many laws whilst in the line of duty or performing their duties. This was the determination here. Not saying its right, as far as I am concerned it should be no different to discharging a firearm. But as we have probably gathered, if you want to kill someone, using a motor vehicle is the way to do it and socially more acceptable apparently.
- Lewis Mumford
Oxford

Postby queequeg » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 am

Oxford wrote:
outnabike wrote:

[quote]An elderly Sydney man has been banned from driving for the next 78 years and is facing nine months home detention after driving while disqualified for the 21st time.

Should be more of it.[/quote]

How much would you wager that he'll be in a new car driving unlicensed in no time at all?
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
queequeg

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion