Moron Motorists #3

open topic, for anything cycling related.

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:44 pm

Scarfy96 wrote:If you are riding wider and get a close pass you can still react by quickly drifting left 30cm or so.

Each to their own. I ride with a group of guys at times who gutter hug and then complain when someone passes them. I keep pointing out that if you leave them the opening they will take it. Don't leave the opening and don't give them the opportunity. Nothing works 100% of the time and even less with total morons but every time you go on the road (even if driving) you are rolling the dice, I try to stack them as strongly in my favour as possible that's all. It is hard from a 30s video grab on youtube but a lot of the incidents posted in this thread (NOT all) I think could be totally avoided with more assertive road positioning. I agree I wasn't there so can't 100% comprehend the situation so I may not always be right about that in any particular instance but that is my opinion.


Mine just posted is the result of lane claiming:


That is the other end of the spectrum. Although I prefer that behaviour to a close and unexpected pass.

jules21 wrote:motoring editor punched in confrontation over close pass of cyclist
i'm sick of these aggressive arrogant cyclists. or is that motorists? i'm confused :shock:


I empathise with the author of that article. I've had the same lacklustre result from Victoria Police (deciding they are not going to issue infringements because he said sorry to the police, is not the target of a current blitz, and it would set an example to the public and then everyone would start reporting and it would be the police's only job... :roll: )
Last edited by Summernight on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

by BNA » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:11 pm

BNA
 

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby human909 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Oxford wrote:And then you try to explain that to the police and they choose to ignore some provisions of road law and over empahsise others and on the whole not take your interpretation because that is easier for them and how the courts would like to take it. You get the idea, who has the money and time to take this to the level of court required to actually make it a decision that becomes precedent? Because that is what is required. All well and good for us to chew the fat, but its how a judge interprets it that matters, assuming the police will even let it get that far.


If it comes to that then so be it. However in my experience of taking the lane it does not. This includes taking the lane in front of police cars. Given that the councils around here support and encourage taking the lane I would gladly fight the matter.
human909
 
Posts: 5738
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:48 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Summernight wrote:I empathise with the author of that article. I've had the same lacklustre result from Victoria Police (deciding they are not going to issue infringements because he said sorry to the police, is not the target of a current blitz, and it would set an example to the public and then everyone would start reporting and it would be the police's only job... :roll: )

Disgusting, just disgusting.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:01 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
yugyug wrote:IntheWoods, maybe by your definition of what practicable you are already breaking the law by not riding in the doorzone. Why is it practicable to avoid a potential risk like being doored, but not practicable to avoid a risk like being hit by a close pass?

You get to decide what's practicable, not the driver behind you.


In this instance, you are incorrect - I'm not breaking the law by avoiding the doorzone - as the keep left as far as practicable only applies to the road lane, so I am not required to ride on the shoulder of the road (which is where the dooring zone is on this road).


Ok, well replace the door zone in the parking lane with a bunch of glass, potholes or storm drains down the left side of the traffice lane. Would you ride through that or avoid it? My point still stands. One is a risk on your left, the other on your right, the solution to both is to ride wider and claim the lane. Practicable means to what you can practice when cycling safely, not what you can practice by exposing yourself to risk, and your riding in that video is risky.
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:02 pm

wellington_street wrote:
Summernight wrote:I empathise with the author of that article. I've had the same lacklustre result from Victoria Police (deciding they are not going to issue infringements because he said sorry to the police, is not the target of a current blitz, and it would set an example to the public and then everyone would start reporting and it would be the police's only job... :roll: )

Disgusting, just disgusting.


I was a bit surprised by the comments too (said in a phone call from the head (or almost head) honcho of the branch). I'm seeing how they deal with two other reports currently with them and then will decide what to do next. I made notes of what he said in the call...

Summernight wrote:Road rager - Couldn't cope with little ol' me on a bike on the road at 8.00PM last night. Virtually no other traffic around, so I don't understand his angst.

Warning: language



No bike lane, parked cars, tram on my right and not enough space to share the lane. I'm claiming it, thank you very much. I made absolutely no indication at any time that I'd heard him at all. I don't think he liked that. :P

And he certainly didn't like that my take-off at the set of lights was so so slow given I was in too heavy a gear. Whoops.


Company logo on the side of the van has been identified (go Summer's investigative skills!) and a complaint has been sent to the company. :D
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:06 pm

I had a shocking one myself this morning - male driver of Ford falcon aggressively trying to overtake without changing lanes, came up so close I banged on his bonnet. He backed off and then close shaved me as I was getting the f--- away from him. Time to get a camera. Not sure what good it would do me in this case - police don't seem too interested in video footage in this thread is anything to go by. :x
Last edited by yugyug on Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby InTheWoods » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:08 pm

yugyug wrote:Ok, well replace the door zone in the parking lane with a bunch of glass, potholes or storm drains down the left side of the traffice lane. Would you ride through that or avoid it? My point still stands. One is a risk on your left, the other on your right, the solution to both is to ride wider and claim the lane. Practicable means to what you can practice when cycling safely, not what you can practice by exposing yourself to risk, and your riding in that video is risky.


Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in this case, the left side of the traffic lane is free of those types of dangers - it is pretty clean and its a good surface. Apart from deliberately blocking the entire lane to block the minority of drivers who would shave me, I have no practicable reason not to use the left side of the lane :( I can just see how this would get interpreted in a court. I'd rather get close shaves that so far haven't hit me, than get road raged, driven over - or more probably close shaved and hit no matter my road position - and then being blamed for the accident in court with the perp walking exonerated. That would *really* give me the sh1ts...
Image
User avatar
InTheWoods
 
Posts: 1557
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cp123 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:14 pm

Summernight wrote:
Company logo on the side of the van has been identified (go Summer's investigative skills!) and a complaint has been sent to the company. :D



do tell.... :twisted: We are happy to support his name and reputation in the same way we did for that other company - the Whittlesea Bin Removal company that had their MM abuse someone here....

c'mon - that's what the internet is for surely..... other than cat photos....
Last edited by Boognoss on Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed the quote for you.
cp123
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby yugyug » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:21 pm

InTheWoods wrote:
yugyug wrote:Ok, well replace the door zone in the parking lane with a bunch of glass, potholes or storm drains down the left side of the traffice lane. Would you ride through that or avoid it? My point still stands. One is a risk on your left, the other on your right, the solution to both is to ride wider and claim the lane. Practicable means to what you can practice when cycling safely, not what you can practice by exposing yourself to risk, and your riding in that video is risky.


Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in this case, the left side of the traffic lane is free of those types of dangers - it is pretty clean and its a good surface. Apart from deliberately blocking the entire lane to block the minority of drivers who would shave me, I have no practicable reason not to use the left side of the lane :( I can just see how this would get interpreted in a court. I'd rather get close shaves that so far haven't hit me, than get road raged, driven over - or more probably close shaved and hit no matter my road position - and then being blamed for the accident in court with the perp walking exonerated. That would *really* give me the sh1ts...


The purpose is precise to deliberately discourage drivers who would close shave you - that's the practicable reason. All this discussion about what it might or might mean in court is just conjecture. The immediate and most important concern is to remove yourself from risk so that doesn't eventuate. I'm not saying do it to make a point, I'm saying do it because it works.
User avatar
yugyug
 
Posts: 1232
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:27 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:22 pm

cp123 wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Company logo on the side of the van has been identified (go Summer's investigative skills!) and a complaint has been sent to the company. :D






do tell.... :twisted: We are happy to support his name and reputation in the same way we did for that other company - the Whittlesea Bin Removal company that had their MM abuse someone here....

c'mon - that's what the internet is for surely..... other than cat photos....


Name is in the Youtube link: Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks.
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby ldrcycles » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:30 pm

yugyug wrote:
InTheWoods wrote:
yugyug wrote:Ok, well replace the door zone in the parking lane with a bunch of glass, potholes or storm drains down the left side of the traffice lane. Would you ride through that or avoid it? My point still stands. One is a risk on your left, the other on your right, the solution to both is to ride wider and claim the lane. Practicable means to what you can practice when cycling safely, not what you can practice by exposing yourself to risk, and your riding in that video is risky.


Unfortunately (or fortunately?) in this case, the left side of the traffic lane is free of those types of dangers - it is pretty clean and its a good surface. Apart from deliberately blocking the entire lane to block the minority of drivers who would shave me, I have no practicable reason not to use the left side of the lane :( I can just see how this would get interpreted in a court. I'd rather get close shaves that so far haven't hit me, than get road raged, driven over - or more probably close shaved and hit no matter my road position - and then being blamed for the accident in court with the perp walking exonerated. That would *really* give me the sh1ts...


The purpose is precise to deliberately discourage drivers who would close shave you - that's the practicable reason. All this discussion about what it might or might mean in court is just conjecture. The immediate and most important concern is to remove yourself from risk so that doesn't eventuate. I'm not saying do it to make a point, I'm saying do it because it works.


Exactly what i was going to say. Not being killed seems quite a practicable thing to me.
When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments- Elizabeth West.
User avatar
ldrcycles
 
Posts: 7462
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:19 pm
Location: Kin Kin, Queensland

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby wellington_street » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:46 pm

Summernight wrote:

That's quite amusing to watch as I encountered a moron on facebook this morning who was complaining that cyclists were "hogging the road" and wouldn't move out of his way ever after he had beeped and flashed his lights at them, making him late for work on many occasions. All you can do is :lol: at these primates.
wellington_street
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:25 pm

Moron Motorists #3

Postby queequeg » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:47 pm

InTheWoods wrote:I understand your point. Being a single lane road, I think it could be argued that if I ride in the middle of that lane I am not riding as far as practicable to the left of the lane.


The actual rule is to be as far to the left of the road, not of the lane. In other words, don't ride on the wrong side of the road or hug the centreline.
'11 Lynskey Cooper CX, '00 Hillbrick Steel Racing (Total Rebuild '10), '09 Electra Townie Original 21D
User avatar
queequeg
 
Posts: 3358
Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:53 pm

Summernight wrote:
cp123 wrote:
Summernight wrote:
Company logo on the side of the van has been identified (go Summer's investigative skills!) and a complaint has been sent to the company. :D






do tell.... :twisted: We are happy to support his name and reputation in the same way we did for that other company - the Whittlesea Bin Removal company that had their MM abuse someone here....

c'mon - that's what the internet is for surely..... other than cat photos....


Name is in the Youtube link: Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks.


Sorry, just want to be sure...

That was Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria AU you were talking about? The mob with the overimpatient and ill mannered drivers of small white vans?
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26709
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:22 pm

No, it was Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria AU, the mob with the rude and ignorant tossers driving their small white vans.
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:36 pm

silentC wrote:No, it was Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria AU, the mob with the rude and ignorant tossers driving their small white vans.

and
Mulger bill wrote:
Summernight wrote:
cp123 wrote:do tell.... :twisted: We are happy to support his name and reputation in the same way we did for that other company - the Whittlesea Bin Removal company that had their MM abuse someone here....

c'mon - that's what the internet is for surely..... other than cat photos....


Name is in the Youtube link: Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks.


Sorry, just want to be sure...

That was Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria AU you were talking about? The mob with the overimpatient and ill mannered drivers of small white vans?


Somehow I think Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria and their ill-mannered drivers are a bit of a larger company than Whittlesea Bin Hire and THEIR ill-mannered driver. :P
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Mulger bill » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:47 pm

Summernight wrote:Somehow I think Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria and their ill-mannered drivers are a bit of a larger company than Whittlesea Bin Hire and THEIR ill-mannered driver. :P

You know Summer, I think you are right, Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks of Kensington, Victoria looks to be a rather larger concern.
It is my sincere hope that, unlike Whittlesea Bin Hire, this particular ill-mannered driver is an outlier that slipped underneath their recruiters radar and is IN NO WAY indicative of their normal hiring practice OR their attitude to other road users.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011
User avatar
Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod
 
Posts: 26709
Joined: Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:41 pm
Location: Sunbury Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby outnabike » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:15 pm

I just went through a couple of videos to pull out a few road s that need attention and if challenged I will certainly go to court over the stuff we are supposed to ride on. The "keep left as far as practicable" rule is our escape from riding in the dad made roadways and I won't do it.In the case of these puddles you have to get out early into the centre or you will get the "He cam out of no where" story every time.

Image

I know there are times if the road is wide to ride left. But I am not embarrassed to take the lane on these sorts of roads. I will gladly explain myself to the constabulary if required. My tyres don't have the problem a racing tyre would have on some of these bits of road, and even then I have had some decent jolts with the inevitable unexpected.
And just to get back to a thread where a cyclist was hanging onto a bus and hitting 50 kays. Hit a bit of crap like this one handed and you will definitely be checking out the medicare forms. Just saying.

Image
User avatar
outnabike
 
Posts: 1256
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:53 pm
Location: Melbourne Vic

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:23 am

Summernight wrote:That is the other end of the spectrum. Although I prefer that behaviour to a close and unexpected pass.


I have highlighted what I see as the key bit there. That is exactly what I am saying.
Scarfy96
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Scarfy96 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:25 am

human909 wrote:If it comes to that then so be it. However in my experience of taking the lane it does not. This includes taking the lane in front of police cars. Given that the councils around here support and encourage taking the lane I would gladly fight the matter.


I 100% agree with this and that has been my experience also. I don't believe there is anything illegal in taking the lane like that and would be amazed if any police tried to book you on it. Certainly hasn't been my experience.
Scarfy96
 
Posts: 452
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:56 am

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby bychosis » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:43 am

Approached a two lane roundabout on the way home yesterday. It's a t-intersection and I was turning left. Cars coming from the opposite direction turning right often merge straight to the left lane from the inner lane on the roundabout. I thought I was riding wide enough to prevent the right turner coming into my lane, nope, it was like I wasn't there. Dumb cyclist I guess for putting myself in that position but I was far enough ahead of the car that I was sure they would stay in the right lane until passing me. There was no reason to drop straight into the left lane.

Damn camera had a full card and had stopped too so no shaming the white Camry driver.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.
User avatar
bychosis
 
Posts: 3011
Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:10 pm
Location: Lake Macquarie

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby silentC » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:53 am

Had a couple of MGIFs this morning. First one nearly killed me. I was approaching a right turn off the road I was on. Moved to the centre of the lane, arm out to indicate, next thing this car comes flying past on the other side of the road, crossed double lines, and buzzed some council guys cleaning up the mess on the other side of the road after the storm. Gob smacked. There was a school girl in the back seat. I thought they might have been dropping her off at the bus stop but couldn't find them. Considering waiting there again tomorrow...

Then I was almost home, coming down a little downhill section about 20 metres from a cross road where I go straight ahead. A guy in a poxy van (who happens to be my new down-the-road neighbour) overtakes me then has to jam on the brakes and pull in front of me at the intersection, then putts off across into my street. So now he is holding ME up. I follow him up the road and he pulls into his driveway and gets out. As I go past I call out "you didn't save much time". He says "oh, you're quick are you?". I said "yes and you are stupid". Bam!
User avatar
silentC
 
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 5:24 pm
Location: Far South Coast NSW

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby Summernight » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:36 am

Oxford wrote:
silentC wrote:...So now he is holding ME up. I follow him up the road and he pulls into his driveway and gets out. As I go past I call out "you didn't save much time". He says "oh, you're quick are you?". I said "yes and you are stupid". Bam!

LMAO, nice one.


Neighbour Wars!!!


Round 1: SilentC: 1, Neighbour: 0

:wink:
User avatar
Summernight
 
Posts: 1934
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby jasonc » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:50 am

Summernight wrote:
Oxford wrote:
silentC wrote:...So now he is holding ME up. I follow him up the road and he pulls into his driveway and gets out. As I go past I call out "you didn't save much time". He says "oh, you're quick are you?". I said "yes and you are stupid". Bam!

LMAO, nice one.


Neighbour Wars!!!


Round 1: SilentC: 1, Neighbour: 0

:wink:


+1
Image
jasonc
 
Posts: 6776
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:40 pm
Location: Brisbane

Re: Moron Motorists #3

Postby cp123 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:59 pm

can I ask what's possibly really a dumb question...? :oops: I gather you can actually influence how something comes up on google.

I know you all remember Whittlesea Bin Hire - and I kind of got that everyone noted his name as being a moron motorist and then I found that when you accidentally happen to google Whittlesea Bin Hire, that the MM thread comes up front and centre... and now we're commenting on Amalgamated Distribution & Taxi Trucks as being equally sucky at driving, and we've all commented here how wonderful Summer's exhibition was...

but HOW or why does it happen on google? ie is it just that how many times something is entered affects which number it comes up on google under a similar name search? or does google read 'website with the greatest number of matches' to the searched words or something?

does anyone know? thanks guys - sorry I asked a non MM question.

by the way - Summer - have you received a reply yet? :twisted:
cp123
 
Posts: 1141
Joined: Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to General discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AUbicycles, Bing [Bot], familyguy, InTheWoods, Phil4286, westab



Popular Bike Shops
Wiggle Wiggle UK
Ground Effect Ground Effect NZ
Ebay Ebay AU
Chain Reaction Cycles CRC UK

“Bicycles BNA Twitter
“Bicycles BNA Facebook
“Google+ BNA Google+
“Bicycles BNA Newsletter
“Bicycles BNA on Strava

> FREE BNA Stickers