The next Weenie-ism? Drivetrain Efficiency

open topic, for anything cycling related.

The next Weenie-ism? Drivetrain Efficiency

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

How many Watts is your chain to drive? What lube is the fastest? What about the jockey wheels and pedals?

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/f ... ncy-35694/
Nobody

by BNA » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 pm

BNA

Re: The next Weenie-ism? Drivetrain Efficiency

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:40 pm

Already onto it thanks :P :oops:
I've replaced the jockey wheels that have a plain bush with ones that have bearings :roll: :oops: and use prolink gold on the chain.
warthog1

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:54 pm

For those interested in the performance impact of such things, each 1W extra that reaches the rear wheel results in a reduction of ~ 0.1 seconds per km across the range of normal racing speeds.

So, for instance, at a Calga 25km TT, if you used a better chain/lube combo and gained a drivetrain efficiency improvement of ~ 2W, then you can expect to cut 5 seconds off your time.
Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:57 pm

Alex Simmons/RST wrote:For those interested in the performance impact of such things, each 1W extra that reaches the rear wheel results in a reduction of ~ 0.1 seconds per km across the range of normal racing speeds.

So, for instance, at a Calga 25km TT, if you used a better chain/lube combo and gained a drivetrain efficiency improvement of ~ 2W, then you can expect to cut 5 seconds off your time.

Thanks Alex, I've won and lost tt's by less than that.

That's more difference than I thought it would be :o :)
warthog1

Postby zero » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:06 pm

warthog1 wrote:
Alex Simmons/RST wrote:For those interested in the performance impact of such things, each 1W extra that reaches the rear wheel results in a reduction of ~ 0.1 seconds per km across the range of normal racing speeds.

Thanks Alex, I've won and lost tt's by less than that.

That's more difference than I thought it would be :o :)

TT is the only place you can quantify these kinds of differences. As far as my ride to work goes, I would be shown an indicated 40km/hr traversing the flat section on the speedo regardless of whether the chain was dirty or clean, and my time to work is dominated by the traffic light delay and then the prevailing winds.
zero

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:49 pm

warthog1 wrote:Already onto it thanks :P :oops:
I've replaced the jockey wheels that have a plain bush with ones that have bearings

Me too. :oops: But my reasoning is - I tell myself - is so I don't have to pull the derailleur apart to clean and lube the jockey wheels. But I'm sure bearing drag was in the back of my mind too.

I once helped a MTBer at work who brought his bike in to replace some parts. As it was quiet, I helped him. One of his jockey wheels had so much drag that it had almost worn the teeth off. It must have been getting pretty warm at 500rpm too.
Nobody

Postby warthog1 » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:19 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Already onto it thanks :P :oops:
I've replaced the jockey wheels that have a plain bush with ones that have bearings

Me too. :oops: But my reasoning is - I tell myself - is so I don't have to pull the derailleur apart to clean and lube the jockey wheels. But I'm sure bearing drag was in the back of my mind too.

I'm pretty sure the bloke at the bike shop where I got them thought I was a tosser when I bought them. Seems they do something anyway thanks.
warthog1

Return to General discussion