Supernova lights

Crawf

Re: Supernova lights

Postby Crawf » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:32 pm

I'm going to have too send both my e3 lights back to bike24. Even if replaced with new - I can't bring myself to use them again, the trust has just vanished.
On the upside I'm eyeing off a Luxos U which look brilliant, but have yet to find a decent fender taillight replacement that isn't the size of a spaceship.
Why does the gear always let you down right in the middle of winter when you need it the most!

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:11 pm

Crawf wrote:I'm going to have too send both my e3 lights back to bike24. Even if replaced with new - I can't bring myself to use them again, the trust has just vanished.
On the upside I'm eyeing off a Luxos U which look brilliant, but have yet to find a decent fender taillight replacement that isn't the size of a spaceship.
Why does the gear always let you down right in the middle of winter when you need it the most!
Care to elaborate?
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:34 pm

Crawf wrote: My E3 Pro front is fine but the E3 tailight failed altogether (thank heavens I always run backup lights) and I noticed that the standby light for both was also not illuminating once I got home and parked it up in the garage - i'm thinking the capacitor has gone? Has done 11,000+km.

So...
Front under motion - works
Rear under motion - no workies
Front standby - no workies
Rear standby - no workies
Dogs are the best people :wink:

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:49 pm

thx

Yep does seem capacitor has gone after 11000. I'd be more inclined to replace that myself. I have all the gear necessary to do that and would cost me say under $5 to repair it
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

Crawf

Postby Crawf » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:17 am

Yeh but I'm an elec spaz and have noooo idea.
It will take some time, but I should come out even or on top.
For the mean time the ay-ups are back in service.

Blakeylonger

Postby Blakeylonger » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:23 am

In my experience, Supernova are overpriced and unreliable compared to current offerings from B&M. They have excellent warranty / out of warranty support though.

I bought mine before the IQ Cyo came out and the eDelux had long waiting lists. I've had separate beam and standlight failures on the E3 and have relegated them to use on backup bikes.

Given the choice today I'd take the non daytime running light, non reflector version of the IQ Cyo on a budget, and the Luxos U if the wallet allows. Their beam shaping and standlights are significantly better.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:07 am

Been running my E3 headlight and tail-light 24/7 as continuous-running lights for the past two and a half years. They've now done close to 17,000kms of continuous use and are running very well for me. Handy in the unexpected tunnels of Italy - 1km run in the dark yesterday.

I do believe that Supernova have a very good warranty cover so maybe give them an email to see what they can do for you.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."