Strava Strangeness

rdp_au

Strava Strangeness

Postby rdp_au » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:58 pm

Looking through my Strava record of the recent ‘Gong ride, I noticed that it didn’t appear to be correctly handling time spent stationary. I stopped three times on the ride, at Loftus for my free muffin, Red Cedar flat, and at Bald Hill. The longest of these stops was for 17 minutes. I noticed that the average speed of any Strava segment that included a stop was based on the total time, not just the moving time as I would have expected. I did not manually pause my Garmin Edge when stopped, although I do have auto-pause configured, but I believe Strava ignores that anyway.

Even more curiously, the overall average for the ride appears to be correct, and agrees reasonably with that recorded on Garmin connect. It’s just the segment calculations that are incorrect. Has anyone else had a similar experience?

jasonc

Re: Strava Strangeness

Postby jasonc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 pm

rdp_au wrote:Even more curiously, the overall average for the ride appears to be correct, and agrees reasonably with that recorded on Garmin connect. It’s just the segment calculations that are incorrect. Has anyone else had a similar experience?
that's how strava does it - for segments in counts stopped time. that way you can't cheat a segment by stopping and recovering every 100m.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:09 pm

segment times won't be adjusted for stationary time. otherwise you could ride Alpe d'Huez in 100m sprints, punctuated by 1/2 hour breaks and beat Lance Armstrong's time.

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:48 pm

segment times won't be adjusted for stationary time. otherwise you could ride Alpe d'Huez in 100m sprints, punctuated by 1/2 hour breaks and beat Lance Armstrong's time
bugger - i thought i had figured out a good way to impress you all with my climbing times..... :D

fiona

lump_a_charcoal

Postby lump_a_charcoal » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:51 pm

Lucky Strava doesn't count muffins!