Have I hit a brick wall?

adrian_d

Have I hit a brick wall?

Postby adrian_d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:16 pm

Hey all,
I haven't been online for a bit,

I had a entrance ticket for the connecteast ride for homes event and found myself a bit reserved about attending the event.

Even though that cycling event only comes up once a year and found myself wanting to catch up with a friend on the day instead. I think I may have been a bit burnt out after the Bupa Around The Bay event. Its not that I didn't enjoy it, I loved the event and found myself having the time of my life.

Since Bupa I have got back into cars and feel like spending some money on the car instead, so much that I ended up going from 6 bikes to 1 (just the prolite), now in the back of my mind I am tempted to sell the pro-lite to get a cheaper fixie bike but I just know I am going to regret it in the future. I spent 2.5 months building up the prolite and I doubt I could get a half decent bike for the money I spent putting mine together. I haven't actually ridden my bike since the day but I can feel like the interest is coming back.

In the past i've always been someone that changes interests so drastically and that is one of the reasons I got into Cycling, its the one interest i've enjoyed so thoroughly. I just know if I change, i'll sell my stuff and get one in the future again, wasting more money.
REVISED GOALS FOR THIS/NEXT YEAR
2. Attend 250km Bupa 2014

My Cycling Journey Blog (Needs Updating)

Mrfenejeans

Re: Have I hit a brick wall?

Postby Mrfenejeans » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:25 pm

As i've said on your posts before just... Get on your bike and go Cycling.

My2c, getting on a bike, going for a ride and experiencing what cycling has to offer is one of the best things around.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi Adrian,

Mate don’t sell the Prolite, you will regret it for sure.

What you need is one or more mates to go riding with on a regular basis, as I only know far too well from my own situation.

When you ride on your own all the time it is difficult to stay motivated.

Cheers,
Tom

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks all for the heads up, I really wish they paved the track from Dandenong to Carrum as its me and my mates favourite run.
I can't imagine riding the pro-lite on the rough gravel/roads. It would no doubt make a decent mess of the wheels.

I've officially changed my mind selling it :)

jules21

Postby jules21 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

in the past, i've battled with motivation to ride. there are 3 solutions:
1. social interaction. i do most of my riding on my own as most of my riding is commuting and it's often impractical to organise mates anyway, depending on how many you have..
2. goals. this is the big one for me - whether it's a big event, racing goals or even km (strava is excellent for me), goals make riding more rewarding.
3. ritual. commuting for me is a lot about ritual - it's just something i need every day. make it a habit and you will find you come to need it, rather than need to convince yourself to get out there.

ozdavo

Postby ozdavo » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:19 pm

adrian_d wrote:Thanks all for the heads up, I really wish they paved the track from Dandenong to Carrum as its me and my mates favourite run.
I can't imagine riding the pro-lite on the rough gravel/roads. It would no doubt make a decent mess of the wheels.

Your pro-lite has the Como's right??? They will be fine!
Always looking for new rides & ride partners in SE QLD area

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:27 pm

ozdavo wrote:
adrian_d wrote:Thanks all for the heads up, I really wish they paved the track from Dandenong to Carrum as its me and my mates favourite run.

Ah yep thats correct. I was moreso worried about scratching the bike. I do love riding it but I love also keeping it maintained and looking shmick. Its a very fine balance.

DoogleDave

Postby DoogleDave » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:03 pm

Maybe you could convert the ProLite into a Cyclocross bike - then you'd have the best of both worlds and that gravel track wouldn't be a concern.

But before you start riding it off-road, take a nice photo of your bike, have it printed and framed and hang it on the wall.
A photo of your bike deserves to sit there and be looked at.....the bike itself deserves to be ridden wherever and whenever it can be!

Either mount the bike on a pole and treat it like a piece of art or get out there and RIDE the bloody thing! LOL :lol:

[/rant]

Dave
2012 Felt F75 | 105 | ProLite Braccianos | GP4000S

moosterbounce

Postby moosterbounce » Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:21 pm

I think it's easy to be "over motivated" and so focussed on an event that life slips by. Only after that event can you return to normal. I reckon that's what you are doing - life check!! Have some time off the bike, then ride again with no hrm or speedo...just go for a pootle down a road with a relaxing view. This should help you remember why you like riding.

Works for me when I get fed up with my training (like now!!) and time out has helped tremendously. The motivation is still there, it just needed a holiday :wink:

Go for a ride. Now. Off you go :D

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:23 pm

Are people still falling for this guy ?
You have officially become your parents.

TimW

Postby TimW » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Ken Ho wrote:Are people still falling for this guy ?
+ 1 Ken :roll: :roll:

Adrian, you went at it like a bull at a gate, full on from the word go, wanting to set up training rooms etc etc etc, as many have said, just ride the bike, don't overthink it.Tim

jacks1071

Postby jacks1071 » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 pm

adrian_d wrote:
ozdavo wrote:

Ah yep thats correct. I was moreso worried about scratching the bike. I do love riding it but I love also keeping it maintained and looking shmick. Its a very fine balance.
Put some race tape under the down tube to minimise stone chips and ride all the dirt roads you want, in the unlikely event you crash bad enough to damage the frame $300 and I'll send you a new one.

Running out of excuses to get on your bike now? I think you need to find a reliable training buddy to ride with.
Our Website is: http://www.kotavelo.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Find us on Facebook by searching for "Kotavelo"

boss

Postby boss » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:07 am

If you don't enjoy it you don't enjoy it. You shouldn't need gaining buddies to motivate you. You shouldn't need an event to motivate you.

If you can't ride solo and enjoy that for what it is - time by yourself to think, see cool sights, challenge yourself (strava et al or simply by lap timer), and progress at something - by all means sell that bike.

Then buy a fixie and a sweet tiny d-lock and go ride around with said d-lock in your rear pocket.

I doubt you'll find that more rewarding but you'll definitely get more cool points than gears + lycra, and hey, it'll keep you busy for a month or two.
Last edited by boss on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:40 am

TimW wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:Are people still falling for this guy ?
+ 1 Ken :roll: :roll:

Adrian, you went at it like a bull at a gate, full on from the word go, wanting to set up training rooms etc etc etc, as many have said, just ride the bike, don't overthink it.Tim
Yeah i'm a bit of a character lol Sorry, I think I might just be a bit hyper active when it comes to getting into things. I just need to find a balance and just get out and ride.

human909

Postby human909 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:00 am

I rarely ride for recreation. I have other hobbies that I generally find more interesting and enjoyable. But I still ride all the time for transport.

If you no longer find you hobby/recreation interesting then its silly to try to force it!

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 am

Just go and ride the bike and enjoy it.

I just get out and ride the bike whenever I can, as much as I can - or as much as my body will allow. :D (shut up legs!) I'm not forcing my self to do it, I just do it because it's fun. Sure it's nice to ride with a group, but riding alone can be good too.

If you need friends to get you motivated to ride, then you've probably got the wrong sport. Just get out and have fun. :)

george-bob

Postby george-bob » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:24 am

ha, adrian, you are quite a character! you dont do things by halves!

my recommendation is just go and enjoy riding, dont think about the gear, the speed or anything. just hop on your bike and ride somewhere nice, ride down by the beach or through a national park. go and do that regularly on every nice day and you will remember why you thought cycling was so much fun.

zero

Postby zero » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:39 am

Riding to work means that you always have sufficient fitness to do whatever as and when it turns up.

Its such an absurd sporting timesaver in hindsight. ie I would never be able to complete the highland fling without one of dedicating many, many hours to training or cycle commuting (which by and large costs me no time).

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:46 pm

george-bob wrote:ha, adrian, you are quite a character! you dont do things by halves!

my recommendation is just go and enjoy riding, dont think about the gear, the speed or anything. just hop on your bike and ride somewhere nice, ride down by the beach or through a national park. go and do that regularly on every nice day and you will remember why you thought cycling was so much fun.
Thanks for all the comments. Sorry to sound so dramatic about it all haha.

I'll clean up the bike tonight and let it shine.

Am I technically trolling a the moment? (trollololl lol lol)

fionahills

Postby fionahills » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:49 pm

Hi Adrian

hope you get back on the bike and have a great time again - I get a bit miserable when I don't improve as quickly as I want to (like I have ridden for three months now - I should be getting pro offers by now surely!!!!) Just cos I'm old, slow and a bit lumpy in lycra - what is wrong with these people????? Can they not see the natural talent oozing from every pore - just waiting to explode as the next big thing among the 50 plus group.......

But that is always after the ride - while I'm on the bike I am convinced that I am going great guns - I'm a bit ?? over the top - jump in with both feet - over analyse everything and am way too impatient, and obviously pretty delusional about my cycling prowess!!! :D

Its fun - as everyone on here keeps reminding me when I ask totally daft questions :D - and when I am 'racing' down a road (with a tailwind) I feel like a kid - its awesome!!!

have fun, keep riding Fiona

Ps forgive my ignorance but why would you be considered a troll? and what is a troll anyway? see told you I was old :D

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:04 pm

Adrian, escape while you can... once you are addicted it can not be kicked, you are stuck for life.

Ken Ho

Postby Ken Ho » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:18 pm

adrian_d wrote:
george-bob wrote:ha, adrian, you are quite a character! you dont do things by halves!

Yes, as I've noted in the past, you are a clever troll. Clever enough that you have had to point it out yourself.
I'm sure you have had a little laugh. Not sure which was the best, the recumbent thread, or the training room.
Never mind, little Adrian, after you've had your fun, others will still be out riding, even if they are a bit serious about it.
You have officially become your parents.

boss

Postby boss » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:06 pm

adrian_d wrote:

If this is a troll post, you are well and truely a loser.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:25 pm

It wasn't mean't to be a troll post but i'm sure it could have been seen as one. (only learn't the term recently), Was just a bit stuck on where to go from here. I'll just get on the bike and ride.

Thanks for the comments everyone much appreciated.

adrian_d

Postby adrian_d » Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:31 pm

Ken Ho wrote:
adrian_d wrote:

Yes, as I've noted in the past, you are a clever troll. Clever enough that you have had to point it out yourself.
I'm sure you have had a little laugh. Not sure which was the best, the recumbent thread, or the training room.
Never mind, little Adrian, after you've had your fun, others will still be out riding, even if they are a bit serious about it.
That comment about the "am I technically trolling" was a joke, the intentions of my thread were honestly to help sustain my interests of Cycling which i've put my heart and soul into. Considering 3.5 months ago I would get tired just riding 10-15km and to recently completing my first 100km milestone. My other 2 threads were just as genuine as the first post on here and both concepts were given a considerable amount of thought into them.

I'm sorry if I may have seemed to come across as trolling but anyone can tell you on here that my posts have been in good intentions. I wouldn't have been able to do what I have done building up my bikes without the help of BNA. I'm always full of energy and some of my ideas/thoughts can come out looking like a web troll, but it wasn't my aim in any sense. It was to get fit and enjoy being out and about, not to mention enjoy talking about bikes with fellow enthusiasts.

jimboss wrote:
If this is a troll post, you are well and truely a loser.
Its not a troll post, while it might seem like one I just find expressing myself best when amongst others company. Gathering my thoughts into some sense sometimes is harder than it seems.