Anyone had a car door opened on them?

il padrone

Re: Anyone had a car door opened on them?

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:43 pm

QuangVuong wrote:I am paranoid of this happening to me. Chances are high in my area, as even when Im going around a roundabout, most cars on my left enter and go when Im already in. Very few have stopped, and those that have slam their brakes to stop in time. Luckily I havent been doored so far, and would prefer it to stay that way.
I'd suggest you get the bike kitted up with some good, bright dynamo lights and run with them on at all times. I've found this very valuable in daylight hours to get more respect. Drivers at first glance think I'm a motorbike coming and they stop early. I'm usually commuting with two panniers that help to give me the apparent bulk of a moto.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:11 pm

il padrone wrote:
QuangVuong wrote:I am paranoid of this happening to me. Chances are high in my area, as even when Im going around a roundabout, most cars on my left enter and go when Im already in. Very few have stopped, and those that have slam their brakes to stop in time. Luckily I havent been doored so far, and would prefer it to stay that way.
I'd suggest you get the bike kitted up with some good, bright dynamo lights and run with them on at all times. I've found this very valuable in daylight hours to get more respect. Drivers at first glance think I'm a motorbike coming and they stop early. I'm usually commuting with two panniers that help to give me the apparent bulk of a moto.
I've had reasonable results with a flashing AyUps during the day. Still get the lack of respect by some, but at least they see me coming.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:20 pm

Nobody wrote:I've had reasonable results with a flashing AyUps during the day. Still get the lack of respect by some, but at least they see me coming.
The advantage of dynamo over flashers - I'm not at all worried about battery life, and the steady bright light looks like a moto. Flashers identify you as a bicycle, so (they think) they can dash out before you get there.
Mandatory helmet law?

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 pm

For cyclists, there really is no answer to this is there. You see the parked cars and want to claim the lane but can't now because you courteously let some cars past and now they won't return the courtesy by letting you back in the lane when you really really need to preserve your life. So you just take your chances knowing it's just a matter of time. I recall some TV adds telling cyclists about the dangers. Well how are cyclists supposed to avoid it unless they actually stop dead, get off the bike and walk because once stopped there is no way you will ever get back into that traffic. Cyclists really are between a rock and a hard place on this one. Perhaps the adds would have been aimed at educating drivers about returning a courtesy for the sake of safety. Rant over.

Not so long ago I was cycling on a long straight and level street on the flood plain, doing around 30-35. With parked cars coming up, I wasn't able to fully claim the lane due to a passing cars at that moment but was able to ride on the white line, a reasonable distance from parked cars but perhaps not entirely clear of full open doors. It is a fairly wide country town street and this allows safe clearance from passing cars. Anyway this Mum just opens the door and steps out into the parking lane in one motion while holding her baby. She didn't even open the door a crack to take a peak, just straight out on the road with the baby. It was close enough to be a little concerning, I just can't fathom a Mum getting out onto the road with a baby and not bothering to look at all.

Ken

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:55 pm

kenwstr wrote:Cyclists really are between a rock and a hard place on this one.
+1
For me it's a case of trying to minimize the exposure to/in such streets.
kenwstr wrote:I just can't fathom a Mum getting out onto the road with a baby and not bothering to look at all.
Mothers of babies are often half asleep and too trusting at times. Just look at the way some walk their prams onto marked crossings.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:09 am

ft_critical wrote:You must ride in the bike lane unless it is unsafe to do so.
Glad you were riding out of the door zone. Was it a bike lane or a BAZ? You don't have to ride in a BAZ. For it to be a bike lane there has to be a bike lane start sign post.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sat Jul 13, 2013 1:22 am

One thing we can do is to complain about so called bike lanes which are just a wider car parking spot with a bike symbol painted on the road. They are beyond a joke, those lanes are downright dangerous. I was riding today and there was a sign with a bike symbol and the words "bikes only" just as one of these lanes started - is that legally a bike lane? If it is then how come there are cars parked there? I certainly don't consider that to be a bike lane.

Inthewoods, what is a BAZ?

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:29 am

Car doors hurt big time, when you hit them at speed but the worrying aspect is you normally get thrown into the line of traffic. :shock:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

human909

Postby human909 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:06 am

Car drivers returning to their cars are almost as bad as door. They treat the bike lane as a car access lane an simply don't look even if there is a bunch of traffic. The only thing that makes it less bad than a door is that drivers are softer. :twisted:

Bike lanes are simply door lanes in many cases. When riding in them is largely unavoidable then keep speeds at a sensible level <20kph.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:28 am

DavidS wrote: what is a BAZ?
Bike Awareness Zones - it's InTheWoods pet hate.
basically it's a car park lane with a bike painted in it

like this:

they'd class it as a bike lane. what we need is bike-only lanes

zero

Postby zero » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:50 am

jasonc wrote:

like this:

Liechardt council has moved virtually all the awareness markers to the middle of the road lane, which makes it easier for a cyclist to ride on the road proper without harrassment from motorists.

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:05 am

Yep I nearly got doored just the other day. Dual lane road turning into single lane, downhill and at speed with a vehicle next to me. This could have been real nasty.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:10 am

The real Copenhagen-lanes do not allow cars to drive in them nor park in them, so 'dooring' is a non-event. Cars must give way to cyclists before crossing the lanes.

Mandatory helmet law?

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:14 am

Postieboy wrote:Yep I nearly got doored just the other day. Dual lane road turning into single lane, downhill and at speed with a vehicle next to me. This could have been real nasty.

A couple of things:

Did you know about and/or see the lane merge ahead of time? If so it would be a good idea to signal and merge earlier (RVM helps here)

Wasn't that a 40kmh speed limit? You seemed to be riding pretty quick, close to 35kmh. If so the driver must have been speeding.
Mandatory helmet law?

Postieboy

Postby Postieboy » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:28 am

il padrone wrote:
Postieboy wrote:Yep I nearly got doored just the other day. Dual lane road turning into single lane, downhill and at speed with a vehicle next to me. This could have been real nasty.

A couple of things:

Did you know about and/or see the lane merge ahead of time? If so it would be a good idea to signal and merge earlier (RVM helps here)

Wasn't that a 40kmh speed limit? You seemed to be riding pretty quick, close to 35kmh. If so the driver must have been speeding.
To be honest I have never claimed the lane through that section in 3 years of commuting everyday and this is the first time this has happened so I will definitely be to the right of that line in future!

This was during school holidays so the speed limit is 60km/h.

I remember checking right before I swerved. It was great the driver was passing me with plenty of space, so many thanks to them.

Not so impressed by the door opening 'so and so' on the other hand :evil:

TTar

Postby TTar » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:23 am

il padrone wrote: the steady bright light looks like a moto. Flashers identify you as a bicycle, so (they think) they can dash out before you get there.
This makes sense, but when driving, the set-up that always grabs my attention and makes me "exercise caution" is two lights, one steady, one flashing on both front and back. Some riders turn themselves into a mobile lightshow and I think that is probably more of a distraction than an enhanced safety measure.

The two lights (in the same spot, not one on helmet the other low) seem to announce your presence and issue an alert at the same time. A little like a blinker on a car; even in your peripheral vision it registers.

DavidS wrote:
I was riding today and there was a sign with a bike symbol and the words "bikes only" just as one of these lanes started - is that legally a bike lane?

DS

Around my part of town little footbridges over storm water canals have large signs reading; "Cyclists must dismount". I don't know who put them there (probably the canal people) or what authority they carry (probably none, except you can't sue if you're injured riding on them). But there they are, in an official looking blue text on white background sign.

I suspect all sorts of bodies (state and local govt, roads authorities etc) think they're empowered to regulate bicycles which might account for the inconsistent and often incomprehensible signage.

It doesn't forgive the inconsiderate motorist, but if bicycle signage and regulations confuse cyclists, it's maybe understandable motorists don't appreciate our situation. Doesn't help to ease the conflict.
Sent from my fortified compound

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:30 am

TTar wrote:
il padrone wrote: the steady bright light looks like a moto. Flashers identify you as a bicycle, so (they think) they can dash out before you get there.
This makes sense, but when driving, the set-up that always grabs my attention and makes me "exercise caution" is two lights, one steady, one flashing on both front and back.
You and me too mate. But we're cyclists. A significant proportion of Australian motorists don't give a damn about cyclists; they'd just as happily trample all over our rights if they see us on the roads.

I'm happier being mistaken for a moto.
Mandatory helmet law?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:14 am

jasonc wrote:
So (to state the obvious) the more descriptive term is BDZ. :wink:

fbaltona

Postby fbaltona » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:01 pm

I had a car door open on me few years back in Altona. He was in his car and opened in up on me as I was riding past. Didn't see anyone inside at all. Hit the door with the front wheel and went straight over landing on my hands and body. Two finger tips burst from the impact and body was all bruised to be expected. The guys door was damaged from inside and he asked me if I was going to pay for the damage! I paid for nothing and got him to pay for my helmet which was damaged which had just purchased 2 hours prior. I put in a police report in case I needed further medical attention.

I definitely don't ride so close to cars. Don't trust them. I'll try and leave enough space between myself and the car for a door to open with being struck.

Saturnstarzz

Postby Saturnstarzz » Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:14 pm

fbaltona wrote:I had a car door open on me few years back in Altona. He was in his car and opened in up on me as I was riding past. Didn't see anyone inside at all. Hit the door with the front wheel and went straight over landing on my hands and body. Two finger tips burst from the impact and body was all bruised to be expected. The guys door was damaged from inside and he asked me if I was going to pay for the damage! I paid for nothing and got him to pay for my helmet which was damaged which had just purchased 2 hours prior. I put in a police report in case I needed further medical attention.

I definitely don't ride so close to cars. Don't trust them. I'll try and leave enough space between myself and the car for a door to open with being struck.
I got doored in Altona as well on the esplanade, was about 5 years ago on my old steel frame Mountain bike.
Was a Daewoo and manged to almost take it almost off its hinges.

Bit of bark off and my bars became drops was the end result. :shock:

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:50 pm

jasonc wrote:

like this:

Actually no, that is a photo of an actual real bike lane! (Which is rare in Brisbane). Even rarer though is the bicycle lane that isn't used as a car park/dooring zone.

A BAZ is different and involves yellow bicycles painted on the road. It has no legal meaning and is just advisory. You are not required to use a BAZ.

Here we go: http://www.bikeqld.org.au/wiki/Bicycle_Awareness_Zone" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:36 am

That's not a bike lane, that's a car park masquerading as a bike lane. This is precisely the sort of bike lane I think should be banned. They are very dangerous. I would far prefer a bike symbol in the left hand lane on the road. I might start complaining about these.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

bumblebea

Postby bumblebea » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:56 am

Yes. In cardiff on the way home in winter. One minute I was riding, the next I was in the road. Very lucky it was rush hour and the traffic was moving slowly - and the driver who I landed in front of and several pedestrians came to my aid - and almost came to blows with the guy who doored me! I was very lucky and escaped with a very bad, door shaped bruise on my left leg that remained there for several months. The bike was a write off but only a cheap bike so wasn't such an issue. The guy who doored me was mortified and said he had been hurling himself out of the car in anger and just about to storm into his work building to give someone a serve. He gave me a lift home instead.

Before this happened I never even thought about the door zone. Now I don't ride anywhere near it.

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:30 am

DavidS wrote:That's not a bike lane, that's a car park masquerading as a bike lane. This is precisely the sort of bike lane I think should be banned. They are very dangerous. I would far prefer a bike symbol in the left hand lane on the road. I might start complaining about these.

DS
That's all we get in Brisbane most of the time. Unfortunately, Victoria and Queensland are the only two states&territories in Australia that do not ban stopping/parking in bicycle lanes (I think, having had a look through the rules). Its a joke. The Australian Road Rules (Rule 187) bans this, but Vic&QLD modified the rule and removed the words "bicycle lane" from it.

As I said in my submission, designers are trying to have their cake (parking) and eat it too (bike lane). You really can't do both at the same time.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:34 am

jasonc wrote:

like this:

Bicyclist Assassination Zone, Bike Kill Zone, Bike Door Zone.
Flemington rd in Melb has these. I have seen numerous cyclists riding at speed there, handlebar 6 inches off the car mirrors on the left, with cars passing them at speed on the right.
Collision with dire consequences when a door is opened.
We have them where I live though the traffic density is a lot lower. I always ride more than a metre off parked cars. That means I am no longer in the door zone marked as a bike lane. Most drivers must see the reason as I rarely get grief from them.
Don't know how that would go on Flemington rd with its traffic density. I would avoid that area I reckon.
Dogs are the best people :wink: