Good Motorist

gretaboy

Good Motorist

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:03 pm

Was just in the Moron Motorist thread and I thought about an "incident" I had this morning...but a positive one.

Was travelling up a minor hill, doing the usual, when I realised I had a semi next to me. This is not all that unusual given the route I travel for my commute. Even the load he was transporting wasnt all that unusual, a massive forklift on a 20 wheel trailer

What was unusual was the fact that he actually moved over into the right hand lane in order to put room between him and me, he didnt blow his airhorn to try and scare me out of the way either. His actions held up the cars in the "fast" moving right lane. I checked my GoPro footage and it clearly shows him moving over well before he gets to me. Once past he moved back and took up the "lane" that I was travelling in with the left wheels of the trailer well over the white line.

So to the truck driver in TransTrac Australia, truck 151.....thankyou for taking my safety into consideration.

bychosis

Re: Good Motorist

Postby bychosis » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:14 pm

Worth an email/letter/call to the company. Those sort of things go a long way, just like the complaints.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

jasonc

Postby jasonc » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:17 pm

bychosis wrote:Worth an email/letter/call to the company. Those sort of things go a long way, just like the complaints.
+1

InTheWoods

Postby InTheWoods » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:21 pm

bychosis wrote:Worth an email/letter/call to the company. Those sort of things go a long way, just like the complaints.
+2

Maybe 30% of the motorists I come across are really really good. 60% are ok. 9% are a bit borderline. Its the 1% (or less, really) that are the biggest problem... Disclaimer: I pulled the percentages out of thin air.

If only I didn't see a larger proportion of cyclists doing crazy [illegal] stuff every day...

gretaboy

Postby gretaboy » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:22 pm

jasonc wrote:
+1

Yeah was going to, am planning to....just cant find them on the net :(. No number on the truck that I can see either. Have triple checked the spelling on the footage, have got it right, just cant seem to locate them. Truck had NSW rego plates too.

r2160

Postby r2160 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:42 pm

Little bit of info in ASIC that might help

cheers
Glenn
-----------
"Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year, but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever" Lance Armstrong

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:08 pm

gretaboy wrote:Was just in the Moron Motorist thread and I thought about an "incident" I had this morning...but a positive one.

Was travelling up a minor hill, doing the usual, when I realised I had a semi next to me. This is not all that unusual given the route I travel for my commute. Even the load he was transporting wasnt all that unusual, a massive forklift on a 20 wheel trailer

What was unusual was the fact that he actually moved over into the right hand lane in order to put room between him and me, he didnt blow his airhorn to try and scare me out of the way either. His actions held up the cars in the "fast" moving right lane. I checked my GoPro footage and it clearly shows him moving over well before he gets to me. Once past he moved back and took up the "lane" that I was travelling in with the left wheels of the trailer well over the white line.

So to the truck driver in TransTrac Australia, truck 151.....thankyou for taking my safety into consideration.
That occurs for me all the time. I constantly head check so I know what is behind me and I take the lane so they have no choice but to move into the other lane. I can't insist enough that cyclists should do this more. Not doing so compromises your own safety.

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:09 pm

human909 wrote: That occurs for me all the time. I constantly head check so I know what is behind me and I take the lane so they have no choice but to move into the other lane. I can't insist enough that cyclists should do this more. Not doing so compromises your own safety.
It doesn't always work though. I've been close shaved by tradies when I've been In the right wheel track with an empty lane beside me. Some people are just jerks.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:20 pm

Undertow wrote:
human909 wrote: That occurs for me all the time. I constantly head check so I know what is behind me and I take the lane so they have no choice but to move into the other lane. I can't insist enough that cyclists should do this more. Not doing so compromises your own safety.
It doesn't always work though. I've been close shaved by tradies when I've been In the right wheel track with an empty lane beside me. Some people are just jerks.
Its not always tradies,I find after Commodore drivers, late model Mercedes and Audi drivers would be the worst, by the way I am a tradie and drive a rather large ute and wear fluoro, the percentage of bad drivers of all persuasions would be the same i'd say :mrgreen:
No signature

Undertow

Postby Undertow » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:44 pm

Bentnose wrote:
Undertow wrote:
Its not always tradies,I find after Commodore drivers, late model Mercedes and Audi drivers would be the worst, by the way I am a tradie and drive a rather large ute and wear fluoro, the percentage of bad drivers of all persuasions would be the same i'd say :mrgreen:
I didn't mean to say all tradies were bad. It's just the couple of occasions I can recall were done by tradies.

On one of the occasions it cost the tradies company a $10k job too, as my body corporate had them quote on job a week after it happened and I veto'd them for their bad driving.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:55 pm

Undertow wrote:
If you have a mirror or if you head check like I do then you see those jerks coming. And by riding in the middle of the lane you have space to play with.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:57 pm

Not a fan of midlane positioning after I found an oil spot the almost hardest way. Glad I was wearing reflective straps on me ankle that day.

My feelings on whitevan tradies changed a tad today. Approaching a road crossing on a PSP, I backed right off to give him plenty of time to make his turn. He saw me, stopped and waved me through with a smile. He got a huge one back with a bonus hat tip. Made my day. :D
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Rhubarb

Postby Rhubarb » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:04 am

Mulger bill wrote:...... He saw me, stopped and waved me through with a smile. He got a huge one back with a bonus hat tip. Made my day. :D
Perhaps counter-intuitively it would have made his too. A little shared respect does wonders for all. It costs you nothing to smile and say thank you, yet it is not particularly common on the roads.

Well done to you both in this instance.

clackers

Postby clackers » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:57 am

Riding near Noojee the other weekend, we saw half a dozen hoons on dirt bikes tearing through what was unlikely to be properties they owned.

I was dreading climbing a hill thinking they could just jump the road themselves one after the other without looking.

But one guy made his way across as a scout and with hand gestures held up his mates. They waited for us to pass by them, even though they could have revved up and gotten across before we got to them.

Risk taking teens they might have been by themselves, but they were also respectful road users in the presence of others. :-)

redned

Postby redned » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Frobisher St Osborne Park is a wide single lane road (light industry, lots of trucks). Plenty of room to stay out of the gutter and still have traffic pass without crossing the centre line. However where there are small traffic islands at intersections the road narrows to a genuine single lane.
I normally head check and take the lane into the round about, but this morning was a bit slow: there was already a car passing and a queue behind from the traffic light change. So I ducked onto the kerb to wait for a break in the traffic. Looking behind for a break, a fellow in white tray back pauses and waves me on to the round about. Gave him a wave then and again when he passed me on the other side.
I hope he had a really good day.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:03 pm

Anyone who knows the eleebana s- bends knows its a bit tight. Rode through today and for about half the distance a courteous driver Waited patiently behind, turns out it was learner, probably not game to overtake. Hope the courtesy lasts through to full license. I was going about 35-40 in a 60 zone that most cars probably average 50 through.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

hannos

Postby hannos » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:58 pm

Sunday's positive interaction
Godden Electrical is written on the side of the ute.
Driver waited patiently until I deemed it safe to pass and waved him through.
What is not on the video is him waving his thanks as he went past.

I would have been doing about 11km/h at this stage.

2010 BMC SLC01

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:06 pm

Had a fella let me in this morning so i could over take a stopped bus

Flinder st for perth people, Its a down hill so i was carrying decent speed, head check, arm out indicating, headcheck he stopped acclerating, big thumbs up to the driver as i got out of the saddle and made quick work of the over take.

small thing, and might be seen as expected driver etiquette, but appreciated all the same.

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:26 pm

I thought I had a stalker today. A white Landcruiser ute with a large Loose Kid Industries sticker across the rear window. These are the types of vehicle I have the most problem with, but this particular driver (you could hear the thing coming a mile away) over took me 5 times in about 20 klms of riding. Every pass was the same, hear him back off the accelerator before passing me fully on the other side of the road. I still can't figure out what he was doing considering the roads are rural but I appreciate his efforts in passing safely.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

dj.bren

Postby dj.bren » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:53 pm

AKO wrote:I thought I had a stalker today. A white Landcruiser ute with a large Loose Kid Industries sticker across the rear window. These are the types of vehicle I have the most problem with, but this particular driver (you could hear the thing coming a mile away) over took me 5 times in about 20 klms of riding. Every pass was the same, hear him back off the accelerator before passing me fully on the other side of the road. I still can't figure out what he was doing considering the roads are rural but I appreciate his efforts in passing safely.
He must be enjoying the view from behind lol! [WINKING FACE]

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Rhubarb wrote:
Mulger bill wrote:...... He saw me, stopped and waved me through with a smile. He got a huge one back with a bonus hat tip. Made my day. :D
Perhaps counter-intuitively it would have made his too. A little shared respect does wonders for all. It costs you nothing to smile and say thank you, yet it is not particularly common on the roads.

Well done to you both in this instance.

I've had some good motorists as well over time. They always get a thank you wave, or if I can catch them, I'll say thanks.

AKO

Postby AKO » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:40 pm

dj.bren wrote:
AKO wrote:I thought I had a stalker today. A white Landcruiser ute with a large Loose Kid Industries sticker across the rear window. These are the types of vehicle I have the most problem with, but this particular driver (you could hear the thing coming a mile away) over took me 5 times in about 20 klms of riding. Every pass was the same, hear him back off the accelerator before passing me fully on the other side of the road. I still can't figure out what he was doing considering the roads are rural but I appreciate his efforts in passing safely.
He must be enjoying the view from behind lol! [WINKING FACE]
:o Can farms. He was looking at the cane farms. CANE FARMS I tell ya.
Giant TCR Advanced 1 (2014)
Malvern Star XCS 5.0 MTB (2012)
Malvern Star Path Racer 1 (2015)
ProLite Cuneo

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:19 am

One driver's viewpoint on overtaking cyclists - I think he may be a cyclist himself. Great to see drivers waiting behind cyclists without aggro, like we experienced many times in Italy.

Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

Chris249

Postby Chris249 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:55 pm

I get LOTS of good motorists; by far the largest proportion of drivers are respectful and safe. I also do NOT take the lane all the time and move over when I can.

I was on the Princes Highway a while ago, riding on the very narrow verge. Every single vehicle moved well to the right when passing, giving me well over 1.5m clearance. No one gave me any trouble. One guy going the other way gave me a toot, a wave and a big smile. It was a particularly interesting view because I could see how the stream of traffic moved around me with good manners and without problems.

If I had been sitting in the middle of the lane cruising at 25kmh and holding them all up it could have been a very different situation.

Give drivers a chance, indicate, take a lane when necessary but go hard to avoid holding up other traffic, move left if it's safe and if you are cruising, give out lots of waves and smiles....it's all pretty simple.
Kestrel Talon road 2007
Como Vivente road 2009
Principia track track 2014
Cervelo P2K TT 2003
Merida CX4 2010
Concaeio road

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:24 am

Chris249 wrote:If I had been sitting in the middle of the lane cruising at 25kmh and holding them all up it could have been a very different situation.
Quite right. But that isn't the way it should be.

On the flip side, but not taking the lane you have a greater chance of being DEAD or badly injured.