Good Motorist

GeoffInBrisbane

Re: Good Motorist

Postby GeoffInBrisbane » Tue Jul 05, 2016 1:57 pm

175km on Sunday and no issues with motorists at all! :shock:

Time to buy a lotto ticket methinks. :lol:

Anyway, thanks Gold Coast Hinterland motorists, love your work.
Veloviewer

MS-DOS Phone. For when you want it done right.

BianchiCam

Postby BianchiCam » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:29 pm

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:26 am

BianchiCam wrote:
Yep, very well done.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:39 pm

Posted in the MM thread but it deserves a mention here.

Called a local plumbing firm to discuss the behaviour of one of their Utes...not only did I get a good hearing from the owner, he got the employee to call me and then posted a $20 coffee voucher for goodwill.

Sunshine Coast firm...http://www.slimflowplumbing.com.au/contact

Matt

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:34 pm

Bump

Hey I'm really happy this thread exists. The vast majority of motorists are careful considerate drivers. Unfortunately its the ones who aren't that we remember
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:50 am

I have tried something a little different this week.

I have text a detailed (specific to event) and warm thank you to tradies who have been highly considerate to me and my riding buddies such as slowing at pinch points, patiently waiting until safe to pass etc. Each time I got very quick replies thanking me for the acknowledgement and two said that they hated to see their tradie colleagues bully cyclists (I made no mention of negativity/comparison).

Might continue this...

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:35 pm

TheWall wrote:I have tried something a little different this week.

I have text a detailed (specific to event) and warm thank you to tradies who have been highly considerate to me and my riding buddies such as slowing at pinch points, patiently waiting until safe to pass etc. Each time I got very quick replies thanking me for the acknowledgement and two said that they hated to see their tradie colleagues bully cyclists (I made no mention of negativity/comparison).

Might continue this...
What a great idea. I'm in.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:47 pm

^ Yeah, good thinking.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:32 pm

This morning I had a P-plated female go completely against the well-earned, unfavourable stereotype of her demographic, firstly by waiting until the road was clear of oncoming traffic before attempting to overtake, and secondly completely moving into the other lane to make the pass. Kudos to this young lady, wish there were more like her. :-)
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:36 am

clackers wrote:Riding near Noojee the other weekend, we saw half a dozen hoons on dirt bikes tearing through what was unlikely to be properties they owned.

I was dreading climbing a hill thinking they could just jump the road themselves one after the other without looking.

But one guy made his way across as a scout and with hand gestures held up his mates. They waited for us to pass by them, even though they could have revved up and gotten across before we got to them.

Risk taking teens they might have been by themselves, but they were also respectful road users in the presence of others. :-)
Lookin' for the coppers more likely... he was the cookatoo...

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:09 pm

On my morning commute yesterday, I was filtering between two lanes of traffic stopped at a red light. I was on full alert for passengers getting out from cars in the right hand land and doorings me.

So, to no surprise, a passenger opened a door in front of me. I was prepared to come to a stop when, to my surprise, the passenger saw me and closed the door again. Well, he mostly closed it a left it ajar, which had me slightly confused, but I passed by slowly.

When I realised that he had, in fact, closed the door for my benefit, I gave him a little wave of thanks.

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:27 pm

Virtual cookie for the silver commodore driver in Osborne Park who not only let me in to the lineup for the roundabout, but waited an above-courteous distance behind me both through the roundabout, and again when I turned left shortly after. For a moment, life was beautiful and the world was a fair place - carry on bucking the stereotype, good sir.
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Lizzy wrote:Virtual cookie for the silver commodore driver in Osborne Park who not only let me in to the lineup for the roundabout, but waited an above-courteous distance behind me both through the roundabout, and again when I turned left shortly after. For a moment, life was beautiful and the world was a fair place - carry on bucking the stereotype, good sir.
Thanks for posting Lizzy, for every bad motorists there is a 100 good motorists, probably way more
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:51 am

mikesbytes wrote:
Lizzy wrote:Virtual cookie for the silver commodore driver in Osborne Park who not only let me in to the lineup for the roundabout, but waited an above-courteous distance behind me both through the roundabout, and again when I turned left shortly after. For a moment, life was beautiful and the world was a fair place - carry on bucking the stereotype, good sir.
Thanks for posting Lizzy, for every bad motorists there is a 100 good motorists, probably way more
Yeah, I got passed by a lot of cars on my commute this morning - as per usual. At one particular pinch point, a motorist backed off and let me through first, which was very nice of her. But the other motorists who passed me all did the right thing too, so they shouldn't be overlooked.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:09 pm

I think also that being predictable also counts for the actions of some car drivers, allowing them to understand you're intentions and to make sure you follow the rules of the road mostly gets a fair amount of respect as long as they're aware of your intentions. One of the things that get up most driver's noses are that some cyclists have no respect for the conditions they are riding in and rarely follow rules but if you're seen to be following the rules like everyone else, then drivers are usually happy.
I mostly commute to work during the middle of the day, have my flouro vest on, my Ortleibs on the back rack and riding in my work clothes as I've only 4 kms to ride.....on my way home though I ride a different road but usually around 9.30pm, I have my fixed rear and front lights on my VWR plus a red flasher light, plus my flouro and my Ortliebs have excellent reflector patches on them so if they can't see me, they either need to go to Spec savers or hand their licences in :lol:
I've never really had any issues day or night....i've had a couple who have cut in too soon but nothing that has made me scream at them. YET!!

Most drivers give me a good wide berth and pass at a reasonable speed. I think that the Majority of drivers try to do the right thing by cyclists, it's just the 10% who are DH's and sadly in my experience, they are usually driving a V8 ute or a traytop.

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

Lizzy

Postby Lizzy » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:20 am

Big ups, Tim Davies Landscaping, for the noticeably courteous treatment of me and another fellow traveller in Osborne Park this morning. A, waited patiently while we got going at the Hector St lights, and B, gave us a good wide berth after it. Cheers buddies :)
“Lexa”: 2012 Trek Lexa S; "Hannelore": 2019 Kalkhoff, "Teal Cecile" Reid traino shuttle

RAYZOR

Postby RAYZOR » Wed Apr 25, 2018 6:00 pm

I'm loving this thread! In fact I hope to add to it soon.
I'm tired of seeing all the MM stuff, it's getting me down. It's taken what was an enjoyable past time that made me happy into a commute with me constantly looking over my shoulder and fearing the worst. It's for this same reason I've chucked my FB account. No longer will I have to read the misspelled, angry rants from illiterate, knuckle dragging, mouth breathing, primordial scum dwelling morons. (Some of which I call friends). I'm not sticking my head in the sand, I know they are out there, but I'm trying look at the positive. Happy cycling everyone, and a big thanks to the motorists who drive safely around us!

solmanic
Location: The glorious hills of the Sunshine Coast hinterland

Postby solmanic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:15 pm

We occasionally have problems with polite motorists up here who sit behind not overtaking on hills. When it happens I tend to ride as faster and faster trying to get to the crest of the hill where the car can overtake safely as some sort of a "thank you" to the considerateness of the driver. Then I blow a gasket.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:36 pm

solmanic wrote:We occasionally have problems with polite motorists up here who sit behind not overtaking on hills. When it happens I tend to ride as faster and faster trying to get to the crest of the hill where the car can overtake safely as some sort of a "thank you" to the considerateness of the driver. Then I blow a gasket.
Yep...know that one...or crossing a couple bridges around here that are narrow... It is nice to occasionally get a wave from the passing polite driver/passenger to recognise the effort to help them get to where the want to be a bit faster.

familyguy

Postby familyguy » Wed May 09, 2018 10:03 am

Followed a bus into Mudgee yesterday. Driver changed lanes early and cleanly to pass two bikes who were line astern on the shoulder, ensuring plenty of space in 80 zone. Have contacted bus co. with positive feedback.

As an aside, the riding around there looks like it would be great during the week, but maybe a touch chancy of a weekend with the wine tourists about.

Jim

antigee
Location: just off the Yarra Trail but not lurking in the bushes

Postby antigee » Sat May 12, 2018 9:47 pm

maybe not a good motorist but just a good person - possibly a motorist and a cyclist running their mower up the cycle lane assume outside their house to remove the wet fallen leaves - impressed, get a bit fed up with "professionals" blowing leaves on to the road

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 am

A couple of Sundays ago, I was heading out pre-dawn for the Great Brisbane Bike Ride. Riding along a long, straight suburban road just near my place, I heard a motor vehicle approaching from behind.

It's a long, straight road, with perfect visibility, so I got a bit nervous when the vehicle slowed down and followed close behind me. Then I got worried that it would try to overtake me where there is a central traffic island in the road, because bad drivers do that all the time along there.

But it waited patiently and overtook me nicely when it was safe. As it did so, I recognised the vehicle as a ute that parks a block from my place, because it is emblazoned with the name of a local LBS.

Well done Tom Wallace Cycles driver. I presume that you were off to the GBBR yourself in some capacity.

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Sat May 26, 2018 8:31 pm

antigee wrote:maybe not a good motorist but just a good person - possibly a motorist and a cyclist running their mower up the cycle lane assume outside their house to remove the wet fallen leaves - impressed, get a bit fed up with "professionals" blowing leaves on to the road
Possibly an organic gardener.

Ken

Ross

Postby Ross » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:19 pm

No photos or videos sorry but today on my bunch ride not once but twice we had guys in utes (one was even a P plate!) wait patiently behind us while we rode up hills and waited until the oncoming lane was clear and then overtook without blowing the revving the engine excessively, honking the horn, yelling abuse or throwing any bottles! :!: :lol:

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:52 pm

Yep...that sounds hard to believe Ross!

Had a car wait patiently while I rode past uphill (on the Montville climb on the Sunny Coast) as he was turning right entering the road despite me waving him through.

He had his window down so I said "I am not going that fast!" to which he laughed and said he was just wanting to "help my "Straaaaavvvvaaaaaa".

Had a good chuckle. Much nicer than being abused.