Best place to live in oz for cycling

toolonglegs

Re: Best place to live in oz for cycling

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:00 pm

skull wrote:
toolonglegs wrote:New Zealand
Not France?

Sent from my not iDevice using Tapatalk 2
Most people I meet seem to think NZ is part of Australia... that's if they have even heard of NZ :roll: .

__PG__

Postby __PG__ » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:04 pm

jasonc wrote:
jimboss wrote:Adelaide has dryer winters than Melbourne though, right?
melbourne has more wet days but it consists of more drizzle than rain
That's Melbourne's old climate. Melbourne's new climate has less drizzle. Melbourne (and Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and most of southern Australian) get less April-September rainfall that they used to.
1994 Cecil Walker (now retired)
2013 Baum Corretto
2014 Cell Awaba 1.0

Roadie

Postby Roadie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:39 pm

These days there is no sign of a coffee shop between Woodstock and Giru. How long ago was that? One day I'll manage to ride up to Harvey range tea rooms for the best coffee (practically only place to get coffee) outside the strand. Not many options for country towns mentioned. I guess that means country towns don't have an active cycling scene. Too busy shooting animals or drinking I suppose.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:20 am

Roadie wrote:Not many options for country towns mentioned. I guess that means country towns don't have an active cycling scene.
Depends on how you categorise "town". Under 10,000? Under 500,000?

Some would call Canberra and Hobart "towns". Others would reckon that Ballarat/Bendigo/Rockhampton etc. are cities rather than towns.

If you want smaller cycling towns... you could do much worse than Bundanoon (in the NSW southern highlands, about 150km south-west of Sydney) or Forrest (30km inland off the Great Ocean Road in Victoria) for starters.

tim

boss

Postby boss » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:24 am

__PG__ wrote:
jasonc wrote:
jimboss wrote:Adelaide has dryer winters than Melbourne though, right?
melbourne has more wet days but it consists of more drizzle than rain
That's Melbourne's old climate. Melbourne's new climate has less drizzle. Melbourne (and Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and most of southern Australian) get less April-September rainfall that they used to.
This is just a gut feel comment - you may be aware of facts that disagree - but the last 2-3 winters in Adelaide seem to have been much, much wetter than what I remember.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:20 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Most people I meet seem to think NZ is part of Australia...
while poor old Tassie keeps on getting forgotten :oops:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

birdbrain

Postby birdbrain » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:12 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
while poor old Tassie keeps on getting forgotten

It's all the inbreeding.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:17 pm

jimboss wrote:
__PG__ wrote:That's Melbourne's old climate. Melbourne's new climate has less drizzle. Melbourne (and Adelaide, Perth, Hobart and most of southern Australian) get less April-September rainfall that they used to.
This is just a gut feel comment - you may be aware of facts that disagree - but the last 2-3 winters in Adelaide seem to have been much, much wetter than what I remember.
Melbourne's winters are drier than Adelaide's by a good margin - although this last winter in both cities was considerably above average for rainfall. Adelaide is a good deal drier than Melbourne for the rest of the year, but not in winter. Same for Perth, it's a feature of the mediterranean climate. Check the BOM climate data.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

winstonw

Postby winstonw » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:04 pm

vbplease wrote:
Ken Ho wrote:Can't beat teh southern Gold Coast.
Weather, girls, food/coffee, endless quiet rods, tons of cyclists, any terrain you want, awesome back country MTB at both ends, blah blah blah blah blah !!
I agree! The whole area from Nerang to Springbrook down to Murwillumbah is amazing.. Looking forward to the xmas break and covering every road around there! shame about the drivers around Surfers and Coolangatta though.
+1

Done around 12 big rides in the GC Hinterland over the last 6 mths.
I kind of feel I should keep it a secret, but then, the more cyclists, the more customized to them motorists become.
Downside is there's a higher than average portion of disgruntled tradies/bogans/low life who hate lycra, and broken beer bottles on the roads closer to the beaches.