Time out call for competitive cycling app Strava

bychosis

Re: Time out call for competitive cycling app Strava

Postby bychosis » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:32 am

Could explain the local segment with someone doing 1300km/h and also my local segment that I've done flat out 3 times to get 1s off the leader, same time over three rides. I guess my GPS accuracy is limited (it's only a phone after all)
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:20 am

As one of the comments at the bottom of the article listed above said:
Not sure why Strava has leaderboards if the data is so bad, looks like its only really applicable to yourself and your own equipment.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:49 am

Amen to the reasoned article and nothing but abuse for the newspaper putting out such a load of rubbish.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:33 am

Nobody wrote:As one of the comments at the bottom of the article listed above said:
Not sure why Strava has leaderboards if the data is so bad, looks like its only really applicable to yourself and your own equipment.
I don't think the data is that bad for the longer segments. It's good fun to compare your times to your previous rides and to those of others. It really is harmless fun.
You should get those old Nobody racing pistons out and have a crack, short cranks and all :P
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:02 am

When the segment is on a long hill, it doesn't hurt anybody and it's good fun to have a run at it and see what you can do. My only KOMs are actually on hills. Somehow I don't do so well at those long time-trial like segments, I'm better at the hill segments. I'm small and light, so that helps. :D

I'll leave the downhill segments for the insane people. :shock: I'm not game enough to do 80km/h+ down hill. :oops:

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:23 am

The comments section of the article mentioned digitalepo.com which allows you to alter the gpx file and increase your speed! The next comment suggested the formation of SADA (Strava Anti-Doping Agency). :lol:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:10 pm

warthog1 wrote:It really is harmless fun.
Not where I ride, which is mainly shared paths. I don't need any further encouragement as I probably already go faster than most peds would like. Besides, I'm trying to outgrow the "gotta be the fastest" thing. I'll leave it to the young or those trying to relive their youth. :P

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:14 pm

I'd be getting off those shared paths going by the angst on the to ding or not ding thread.
No chance of me being fastest here, but I like to see how I'm going and still like a challenge even though I'm a never was :roll: :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:15 pm

biker jk wrote:The comments section of the article mentioned digitalepo.com which allows you to alter the gpx file and increase your speed! The next comment suggested the formation of SADA (Strava Anti-Doping Agency). :lol:
ASADA - see, it even lends itself to a serious sounding acronym.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:39 pm

http://digitalepo.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
Did anyone try it to see if it works?.. not much good to us phone users.
Serious question though... can we phone users actually download our ride data and save it off line somewhere?.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:45 pm

Ian, go to your ride from yesterday, top right of map next to terrain detail is a gpx where you can d/l the ride. :mrgreen: Tim

http://app.strava.com/activities/40640598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:09 pm

TimW wrote:Ian, go to your ride from yesterday, top right of map next to terrain detail is a gpx where you can d/l the ride. :mrgreen: Tim

http://app.strava.com/activities/40640598" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah, but apart from that being a premium feature, doesn't it only download the route?... i want my actual file.

TimW

Postby TimW » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
TimW wrote:Ian, go to your ride from yesterday, top right of map next to terrain detail is a gpx where you can d/l the ride. :mrgreen: Tim

Yeah, but apart from that being a premium feature, doesn't it only download the route?... i want my actual file.
pm me your email add and i'll send the file after download so you can have a look if you like.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Tim.