Time out call for competitive cycling app Strava

toolonglegs

Re: Time out call for competitive cycling app Strava

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:04 pm

I am wondering why the people who have zero interest in using Strava are so interested in having it regulated?.
Personally I find it to be a great motivational tool for training and a bit of fun at the same time, still stand by my thought that it is just Facebook for cyclists... but then one of my best mates over here I met through Strava so I am not knocking it.
I do think people should take responsibility for flagging obviously dangerous segments, it isn't like they aren't plenty of others to chose from... and it is totally anonymous anyway.

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:37 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I am wondering why the people who have zero interest in using Strava are so interested in having it regulated?.
Thats easy....

The people that are not interested in using it are concerned .
Hence the regulation bit...
The dutch have one word to describe the aussie MHL, this word is ;
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm

toolonglegs wrote:I am wondering why the people who have zero interest in using Strava are so interested in having it regulated?.
That's easy....

They can see people are having fun and they have to interfere.
Last edited by warthog1 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:48 pm

I was just raising the question about whether it should be regulated, whether there is a problem. Probably it should not, but I'm not the person to be making such a decision. And as many have said here, it's really down to personal responsibility of the user. Hence raising the question - for users to be aware of the risks half the problem has been resolved.
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:08 pm

If people don't know they are riding like idiots then will regulating an app that is not viewable till you are at home help?.
damhooligan wrote:
Thats easy....

So people should have the choice as to whether they wear helmets or not... because a rational person should be able to make that decision for themselves with out it being forced upon them... but that same person should be banned from uploading their ride files to a website because they can't make the rational decision as to whether they should ride safely or not.
Next doctors will be saying Strava is bad because people are having heart attacks trying to beat the local Pantani up up Alpe D'Harbour Bridge.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:16 pm

toolonglegs wrote:the local Pantani

Man I hate that guy

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:22 pm

warthog1 wrote:
That's easy....

They can see people are having fun and they have to interfere.
You are clearly having fun with posting this.

So... i must interfere and saying you are wrong.....
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

damhooligan

Postby damhooligan » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:35 pm

toolonglegs wrote:If people don't know they are riding like idiots then will regulating an app that is not viewable till you are at home help?.
damhooligan wrote:
Thats easy....

So people should have the choice as to whether they wear helmets or not... because a rational person should be able to make that decision for themselves with out it being forced upon them... but that same person should be banned from uploading their ride files to a website because they can't make the rational decision as to whether they should ride safely or not.
Next doctors will be saying Strava is bad because people are having heart attacks trying to beat the local Pantani up up Alpe D'Harbour Bridge.
Just stop with the helmet reference.....
Been said before....
If you wanna go helmet there is another thread for this....

Uploading and comparing files/riding data is fine.
There are plenty of other ways then just strava to do this.
Thats not the issue.
The issue is that it promotes racing on public roads.
It promotes cyclists to take more risks.
They promote it.
That i see as a concern.

Is it a problem?
Mayby not. But can it become one?
yes.
As 2 deaths are already linked. More can follow.
SCHIJNVEILIGHEID !!

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:37 pm

jimsheedy wrote:

Man I hate that guy

Ah but without strava you would have never known he existed... and life would have been just that little bit lonelier. But now his chicken legs are on your radar and your world is a glorious place filled with hope and motivation.

jimsheedy

Postby jimsheedy » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:38 pm

toolonglegs wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:

Man I hate that guy

Ah but without strava you would have never known he existed... and life would have been just that little bit lonelier. But now his chicken legs are on your radar and your world is a glorious place filled with hope and motivation.
I reckon he's on the juice though. Well on Friday arvos anyway.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:28 am

For a few weeks I was interested in Strava, setting a few KOM's etc, but it clearly affected my rides overall and drained my phone battery so I gave up quicksmart.
And besides, I'm sure most peoples KOM's get smashed by someone gunning it on a windy day. The other day the winds were 55km/h, "Uh-oh!" :roll: So what's the point?? It's not apples for apples.

Kenzo

Postby Kenzo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:57 am

jimsheedy wrote:
Man I hate that guy
Made me LOL.
Red Rider wrote:For a few weeks I was interested in Strava, setting a few KOM's etc, but it clearly affected my rides overall and drained my phone battery so I gave up quicksmart.
And besides, I'm sure most peoples KOM's get smashed by someone gunning it on a windy day. The other day the winds were 55km/h, "Uh-oh!" :roll: So what's the point?? It's not apples for apples.
I'm under the impression 90% of the days in Perth are windy days as far as cyclists are concerned ...

Xplora

Postby Xplora » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:49 am

damhooligan wrote: Just stop with the helmet reference.....
Nah, it's a fair call, and you have to either cop it sweet or accept that the same principles apply. Normal human behaviour isn't suppressed by regulations. People will go fast when others don't want them to. The likelihood that cyclists are actually breaking laws to go fast is minimal because it's HARD WORK getting up to the speed limit!

Motorbikes or cars, I'd feel differently because they are capable of well beyond the speed limit, but bikes? I thought we were against the Nanny State? :?:

More people have died helmetless than chasing Strava KOMs in the same period of time. :idea: Freedom to think and choose either applies to everything, or it doesn't apply to anything.

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:54 am

toolonglegs wrote:
jimsheedy wrote:

Man I hate that guy

hahahahahaha

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:01 am

Red Rider wrote: And besides, I'm sure most peoples KOM's get smashed by someone gunning it on a windy day. The other day the winds were 55km/h, "Uh-oh!" :roll: So what's the point?? It's not apples for apples.
I've only been on strava for a few months, but I feel like you kinda missed the point. If you ride enough, log all your rides, it's a great training and motivation tool. Log your times easily on climbs, plus get to analyse where you messed up afterwards.

Tailwinds and KOM's? Everyone has the opportunity to take advantage of a tailwind. If you ride enough then the tailwind will line up with a 'strong day' and bob's your uncle. Either way most decent climbs aren't crazy affected by wind.

human909

Postby human909 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:20 pm

If this app or something similar got popular with hoons...... :shock:

boss

Postby boss » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:37 pm

human909 wrote:If this app or something similar got popular with hoons...... :shock:
I was thinking the same thing the other day, although in reality I don't think it would work. The crux of it comes down to that on a bicycle it's much harder to break the speed limit. Because of that, for the most part, Strava activities are lawful.

On a motorbike or car, much easier to break the speed limit. And a carva (for lack of better name) would not remain underground for long at all. By logging your activities and posting them on some leaderboard, you are making yourself public enemy number one. You're identifying the speeds you did, the time you did it at, and potentially the make/model of your car.

While it might have some appeal, you're essentially giving the cops a list of hotspots for hoon driving, times that people are out, and I bet if the cops wanted they could subpoena login details of users too.

So never fear - it's not gonna happen! Haha

RonK

Postby RonK » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:58 pm

human909 wrote:If this app or something similar got popular with hoons...... :shock:
Hmmm, I though it already was... :roll:
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

BionicW

Postby BionicW » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:51 pm

I have just started using Strava in conjunction with my HR monitor for rides and am really enjoying seeing myself improve!

That said, I'm never going to take on a car or run a red light because I want to be the champion of a segment. That's just crazy.

However, I'm really loving that I'm using it on a crit circuit, where you're meant to be competitive.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:54 pm

It's a fantastic training tool, for my non-technical level of training anyway. I can track my progress and improvement. For the first time I know how many k's I am doing and I can see my form wax and wane as the amount of time I spend on the bike changes.
The competitive element is fun too and an attempt at a segment can be included as a target in a training ride.
There are some really good riders where I live some of whom are on strava. So it is also very grounding when you see just how much faster they travel some of the same climbs.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

wqlava1

Postby wqlava1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 pm

Red Rider wrote:For a few weeks I was interested in Strava, setting a few KOM's etc, but it clearly affected my rides overall and drained my phone battery so I gave up quick smart.
There are extender battery covers for your iPhone and other popular phones ($20 for 1900mAh off eBay or DX) or 5000mAh external battery packs for a similar cost that connect with your usual USB charging wire. Heaps for a full day ride.

I just look at it after a few rides and see where I was faster compared to most others, and mentally note them to maybe try a bit harder in that area if I happen to go there again and also happen to feel strong. It's nice to see personal best times pop up every so often.

Red Rider

Postby Red Rider » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:52 pm

jimboss wrote:
Red Rider wrote: And besides, I'm sure most peoples KOM's get smashed by someone gunning it on a windy day. The other day the winds were 55km/h, "Uh-oh!" :roll: So what's the point?? It's not apples for apples.
I've only been on strava for a few months, but I feel like you kinda missed the point. If you ride enough, log all your rides, it's a great training and motivation tool. Log your times easily on climbs, plus get to analyse where you messed up afterwards.
I have a proper bike GPS for that now, I could still transfer the logs over to Strava, but don't have the need. Only for races to compare with friends.

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:55 am

Red Rider wrote:
jimboss wrote:
I have a proper bike GPS for that now, I could still transfer the logs over to Strava, but don't have the need. Only for races to compare with friends.
I'm assuming you've got a Garmin, and I've used Garmin connect. For me, it just lacks that social aspect where you can see how you go against others. Personal preference I suppose!

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:50 am

Just you wait...the little Garmin's are perfect for motocross courses and it takes little imagination to see them used on road or track going motorcycles.

In the end, Strava and its ilk are tools (or toys?). Like all tools created for sue by humans, they can be misused...

Frankly, with all this self centred hand wringing from within the cycling community over all the various aspects of percieved (let alone real) bicycle safety issues...it's a bloody wonder that anyone here actually still rides a bike. Or would want to join in the first place.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

boss

Postby boss » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:04 am

silentbutdeadly wrote: Frankly, with all this self centred hand wringing from within the cycling community over all the various aspects of percieved (let alone real) bicycle safety issues...it's a bloody wonder that anyone here actually still rides a bike. Or would want to join in the first place.
All the hand wringing is really a case of do as I say not as I do.